[Movies] Confess your movie sins to me, and be absolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, really... I've noticed that a lot of these 90s sitcoms just haven't aged that well. I remember laughing at Friends and Will & Greg... nowadays their reruns just seem, I dunno, dated. There's still a chuckle or two to be had, but the loud guffaws are gone.

Then again, I hate some modern sitcoms - particularly those aimed at teens - with the fire of a thousand suns.
Part of the reason is that you have evolved. You're no longer 16 years old :p
Another part though, is that a LOT of sitcom stuff is just repeated ad nauseam. Friends I still laugh at occasionally, but it suffers just asm uch from this as Dharma & Greg or Will & Grace or whatever. Full House, Growing Pains, blahblahblah. They're painfully predictable. Even the good ones! That 70s Show is good, but I can tell you how a given episode is going to end within minutes. And not just those I've seen :p
It's what seperates the good Simpsons episodes from the bad ones in modern seasons. The bad ones are just "more of the same" or so off the wall in their attempts at humor that they're not funny - too contrived a situation,.... The good ones strike a balance where old characters behave the way they would, but the situation is new or different enough that there's new jokes to be made.

Some newer sitcoms have the same problem. They're so predictable they're as boring as watching reruns. Oh no! Comedic miscommunication giving rise to hilarious hijinks as person A tries to keep person B from discovering it's actually his niece! Ha-HAH! *cough*
Some other newer shows are too temporally bound - political commentary is either so general it's pointless (politicians! Bastards, right?) or won't be understandable/applicable in a few years' time (Obama is the President of Peace, we'll all be so much better off in 4 years time!), new gadgets coming out (an iPod? Wow!),...
Some shows are just a bit weird to rewatch - in Sex and the City, a big deal is made out of not being allowed to smoke indoor in LA, while they can happily do it in NY. "What a curbing of personal liberty! We could never live like that in NY! Haha, silly Californians!". Guess what you can't do in NY these days? Right.

I still laugh my ass off at Will and Grace, but I just can't get enough of Megan Mullaly. Which is why it's a shame that Breaking In won't be renewed.

Speaking of which, I feel so bad for Bret Harrison. He just can't star in a show that sticks around for more than 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.