Export thread

Confess your movie sins to me, and be absolved

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

So I recently saw Citizen Kane for the first time, crossing one off my list. There are LOT of "essential" films that everyone goes crazy if you say you haven't seen. So what are some of yours, off the top of your head? It's okay. This thread is for lightly making fun of you. I don't want to hear that "oh I can't listen to your opinions about movies ever aaagaaaaain" nonsense because no one has seen every "essential" good movie!!! Here are mine off the top of my head:

First Blood (Rambo 1)
Blade Runner
Raging Bull
Bridge on the River Kwai
Band of Brothers (I'm aware this isn't a movie, but it still fits)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I like Bloodsport, but do not like the Godfather.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Forgive me, Charlie, for I have sinned.
I've already stated this elsewhere, but I'll say it again here:
Everything by Stanley Kubrick other thna Dr. Strangelove. This includes:
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Full Metal Jacket
The Shining

Also;
First Blood
Rocky 1- Rocky Balboa
Raging Bull
Citizen Kane

I intend to see all of these by the time the year is out. Unfortunately none of these are on Netflix.ca, so seeing them is going to be a bit more difficult than I'd hoped.

Gusto

Gusto

Fuckin' all of 'em. All the good ones.

ElJuski

ElJuski

There are plenty of older movies that I haven't seen, but as far as a movie that people always flip their shit when I say I haven't seen it is Braveheart.

SeraRelm

Godfather insists upon itself.

I already confessed my love of horrible old Kung fu and horror movies.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

There are plenty of older movies that I haven't seen, but as far as a movie that people always flip their shit when I say I haven't seen it is Braveheart.
In the spirit of this thread, I will not flip my shit. But this has been noted. I friggin' LOVE Braveheart.

Tress

Tress

I have not seen The Godfather. Nor have I seen any of the Harry Potter films. I haven't even read the books!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I have not seen The Godfather.
This is the right thread for that confession.

Nor have I seen any of the Harry Potter films. I haven't even read the books!

Tress

Tress

You don't notice how often people reference Harry Potter until you haven't read/seen it, and thus have no clue what people are talking about.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

You don't notice how often people reference Harry Potter until you haven't read/seen it, and thus have no clue what people are talking about.
I haven't read any of them, and only saw the first few because my girlfriend at the time was obsessed. I don't remember anything about them, because they were boring.

I am officially absolving you of this "sin". You don't even have to say any Hail Spielbergs. Just, I dunno, go watch Shawshank Redemption or something because Harry Potter just doesn't matter.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I have not seen The Godfather. Nor have I seen any of the Harry Potter films. I haven't even read the books!
You could read the books and review them!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I have not seen the Avengers.

Or Iron Man 2

Or Captain America

Or Thor

Or any of the X-Men movies after the 3rd

And I liked Daredevil

Tress

Tress

You could read the books and review them!
Reading is for losers. Obviously.
I have not seen the Avengers.

Or Iron Man 2

Or Captain America

Or Thor

Or any of the X-Men movies after the 3rd

And I liked Daredevil

Just Me

Just Me

Haven't seen Citizen Kane, don't intend to. Love Casablanca.
Haven't seen any superhero movie since X-Men 1.

Still love to watch The Pirate Movie and even sing along!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Godfather and Pulp Fiction are my main two.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Haven't seen any Godfather movies. I think Resivoir Dogs is a stupid, terrible movie.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Haven't seen any Godfather movies. I think Resivoir Dogs is a stupid, terrible movie.
I mean this in the nicest way:
fuckyou.gif

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There is only 10 films on the AFI top 100 films that I've not seen. Most of them were some films from the Silent Era or Pre-WWII.

Cajungal

Cajungal

This was my immediate thought:

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ones I haven't seen, but definitely plan on seeing:
Taxi Driver
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Usual Suspects (though, seeing as I already know the twist, I don't know if it's even worth it)
Metropolis
Raging Bull

Films people think I should see, but really don't have an interest in seeing:
Braveheart

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The Usual Suspects (though, seeing as I already know the twist, I don't know if it's even worth it)
\
It is.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Agreed. I really thought it'd be boring knowing what happens, but it's a solid movie altogether. The buildup to the reveal kept me interested even though I knew what was going to happen.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm ashamed to say that, even after years of working in different video stores, I have a list of movies I've never seen:

-The Godfather movies
-Blade Runner (tried several times and got bored, turning it off after half an hour)
-Raging Bull
-Taxi Driver
-Scarface
-Braveheart
-Malcolm X
-Gandhi
-Natural Born Killers
-Dr. Strangelove

Probably a lot more I'm blanking on.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I started Dr. Strangelove thinking I would hate it. This ended up not being the case, but still. The same goes for Patton, actually.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I haven't seen the classic Scorcese films, a la Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, etc. Only films of his I've seen are Goodfellas, The Aviator, and The Departed.

I loathe Stanley Kubrick films except Dr. Strangeglove. Couldn't stand a single fucking one.

And then, worst of all...

I've owned The Godfather for over six years and haven't watched it.

BErt

People look at me like I have something growing out of my face when I admit I have not seen:

1) twister
2) titanic
3) avatar

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Funny thing is, Bert, you aren't missing anything. Avatar 3D was kinda cool, but definitely not worth the money I paid.

fade

fade

I am officially absolving you of this "sin". You don't even have to say any Hail Spielbergs. Just, I dunno, go watch Shawshank Redemption or something because Harry Potter just doesn't matter.
:Leyla:

Harry Potter is to kids stories what Star Wars was to sci-fi---SOS (same ol' stuff) but done better. The world Rowling built alone is worth it.

drifter

drifter

As someone who has seen Braveheart, I'm surprised at all the love it seems to get. Good/very good movie, but I probably wouldn't call it a 'must see.'

I'm more or less in the same boat as Gusto; the number of great movies I haven't seen is far too long and embarrassing to list.

That reminds me, I still have yet to watch Chinatown :ninja:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I have Chinatown on my Netflix and I'm embarrassed to have not seen it, even though no one IRL would give me grief over it.

Also, The Thief of Baghdad.

Bowielee

Bowielee

People look at me like I have something growing out of my face when I admit I have not seen:

1) twister
2) titanic
3) avatar
Twister is a horrible, horrible movie... but I highly recommend watching it. It's one of those rare movies that are so bad that they spin right back around to awesome.

Frank

Frank

I've never seen the Godfather films nor have I seen any of the silver screen classics like Casablanca, Gone With the Wind or Citizen Kane. I've seen huge pieces of Bladerunner, in fact, I think I've seen the entire movie in pieces, just never in one go. Something always got in the way of my being able to watch it through.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Who the fuck loathes a Kubrick film?

:rage: :rage: :rage:

Frank

Frank

There's a couple I could do without ever see again...eyeswideshut.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I have Chinatown on my Netflix and I'm embarrassed to have not seen it, even though no one IRL would give me grief over it.

Also, The Thief of Baghdad.
This reminds me of something I had totally forgotten about. I had to watch Chinatown for a Scriptwriting class, and after about a half hour I was bored out of my skull. I read the synopsis online and based my report off of that instead, and still managed a B.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I never watched Big Trouble in Little China.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I never watched Big Trouble in Little China.
Your life is meaningless...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Who the fuck loathes a Kubrick film?

:rage: :rage: :rage:
No, Shego! Not the disagree! I thought we were something special! I thought you were better than that!

Kovac

Kovac

I have never watched The Godfather, Part Two

But I have watched Judge Dredd...

And I liked it.

fade

fade

I confess I like Armageddon. Normally I loathe Bay, but he did a pretty good job of making it seem like a global event, unlike many other planet-wide disasters. A lot of other disaster films only seem to take place in East Bumblefudge or wherever the movie is set, with the rest of the world being implied or not mentioned at all. The technical aspects are dumb, but so what? It didn't hurt that he had a pretty good cast to work with.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I like that fade's confession is to enjoying a film.

Wahad

Wahad

I like that fade's confession is to enjoying a film.
To be fair, I thought this thread was gonna be for that when I read the title.

I haven't seen so many 'classics' I don't even know where to begin. Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, Big Trouble, The Big Lebowski, Gone with the Wind, Titanic, and the list goes on... I'm not a big movie guy.

SeraRelm

Also, Reservoir Dogs is the only half decent movie QT has made, and everything else following has been derivative of it.

I'm not a fan of his writing/directing.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's not a sin of not seeing a movie, but more of a humiliating shame (I'd mentioned this before, but it's always worth repeating):

I paid to see Alien:Resurrection and Mortal Kombat: Annhilation, back to back, when they came out around the same time in theatres.

SeraRelm

I paid to see the Crow 2. They refused to refund my money.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Also, Reservoir Dogs is the only half decent movie QT has made, and everything else following has been derivative of it.

I'm not a fan of his writing/directing.

what.

...this thread raises my blood pressure way too much. INTERNETTTTTTT

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Uh oh...

David

David

I was bored by Citizen Kane. I started watching it, then stopped watching around halfway through. Same with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Never watched:
Reservoir Dogs
Minority Report
Casablanca
King Kong
The Sound of Music
The Shawshank Redemption
Gone with the Wind
Seven
Various Alfred Hitchcock films
Anything of the following franchises:
James Bond
Aliens
Predator
Saw
The Godfather
Rambo
Rocky
Child's Play
Nightmare on Elm Street

Frank

Frank

So, what you're saying is you don't watch movies.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I won't click the disagree button, but the thing you don't realize how very wrong you are.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I paid to see the Psycho remake.

I have never seen the original.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I don't think Michael Bay is a bad filmmaker. Not all of his work is good by any means, but I fully own up to liking Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon and the first and third Transformers films.

SeraRelm

I stand by my statement concerning QT. His "cool dialogue" is basically people being bitchy and repeating crap back and forth and his stories are usually just pop culture derivative from whatever anime he saw the night before. Watching one movie from him pretty much makes me feel like I've seen them all. (and I have seen most of them)

fade

fade

Wow. I couldn't disagree more.

SeraRelm

We all have our likes and dislikes. Mr "Shounen Hipster" QT falls into my dislike category. Moving on.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I can MAAAAAAYBE see where you're coming from on his ability to craft a story, but to take issue with his dialogue? IMO he writes some of the most believable, natural flowing and interesting dialogue of anyone working in the industry today.

But I won't get in an argument about it. There's plenty of thigs everyone else likes I can't stand. (See: Harry Potter, above)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

His "cool dialogue" is basically people being bitchy and repeating crap back and forth

SeraRelm

"you killed my master."
"I killed your master."
"I know you killed my master."
"I know you know I killed your master."
Ad nauseum. No thanks.

On with the movies!
Why wasn't The Warriors listed?

Cajungal

Cajungal

I wouldn't call his writing natural, but I do enjoy it very much.

fade

fade

Yeah, there he was mimicking bad translations in martial arts movies that originally served no purpose but to lip sync. The whole movie is a 70s martial arts film/anime parody. He admits it openly. Oren Ishii's scenes are supposed to be a live action anime (especially since her backstory was actual anime). I don't know of any other film where he does that, though. He does have the pop culture discussions. Yeah, they're a running bit, but they also do an excellent job of humanizing characters who are often cold-blooded killers. We care more about Jules getting blown away than we do about the fact that he was there to murder Butch because Tarantino had him staged in stupid, shallow pop culture discussions about cheeseburgers. You're right...he attempts in no way to mimic real dialogue though. But I like that. He's making use of the medium.

You're totally right though. If you don't like it, you don't like it, and I'm not trying to convince you. Just giving you another viewpoint.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, there he was mimicking bad translations in martial arts movies that originally served no purpose but to lip sync. The whole movie is a 70s martial arts film/anime parody. He admits it openly. Oren Ishii's scenes are supposed to be a live action anime (especially since her backstory was actual anime). I don't know of any other film where he does that, though. He does have the pop culture discussions. Yeah, they're a running bit, but they also do an excellent job of humanizing characters who are often cold-blooded killers. We care more about getting blown away than we do about the fact that he was there to murder Butch because Tarantino had him staged in stupid, shallow pop culture discussions about cheeseburgers. You're right...he attempts in no way to mimic real dialogue though. But I like that. He's making use of the medium.

You're totally right though. If you don't like it, you don't like it, and I'm not trying to convince you. Just giving you another viewpoint.
I wanna say spoilers, except you messed up names, so that's not the case.

SeraRelm

I am amused at how someone claims it's realistic dialogue, then two others say it isn't.

I have never seen The Maltese Falcon.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

This is more supposed to be about movies you haven't seen than "unpopular opinions", but okay

SeraRelm

Hey, I was trying to steer it back.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Quotemander Prime - Nothing but love Esc, but Kubrick films are a dear part of my black little soul. I also dislike the opinion of SeraRelm everytime she disses a QT movie.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I am a slobbering Coens fanboy, but I haven't seen Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, or The Man Who Wasn't There.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Of the Coens brother movies I've seen, they're pretty much 50/50 for me.

Hated:
Fargo, Ladykillers, Burn After Reading

Loved:
Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, No Country.

However, O Brother was so amazing, I'd bump them up into a "liked" category.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Didn't...like....Fargo?

SeraRelm

I did say Reservoir Dogs wasn't bad (torture scene). I don't think I specifically named any others. :p

I like Robert Rodriguez as a director though. If anyone has not seen El Mariachi, you should do so.

SeraRelm

Charlie, you must see Raising Arizona. It's Nicholas Cage at his best.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Quotemander Prime - Nothing but love Esc, but Kubrick films are a dear part of my black little soul. I also dislike the opinion of SeraRelm everytime she disses a QT movie.
No problems, Shego.

Although I did forget that The Shining was a Kubrick film. I like that one--and loathe the TV remake from the 90s.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

That TV remake... everyone involved in the production should have been slaughtered with an axe by Jack Nick

fade

fade

I wanna say spoilers, except you messed up names, so that's not the case.
A name. And the movie is like 400 years old. It's past the spoil-by date.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That TV remake... everyone involved in the production should have been slaughtered with an axe by Jack Nick
Even Stephen King, who wrote the script?

LittleSin

LittleSin

Even Stephen King, who wrote the script?
ESPECIALLY Stephen King.

SeraRelm

Especially Stephen King. I should have driven back to make sure...

SeraRelm

Lol, I'm on my phone so i can't offer you a hug, LittleSin .

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

ESPECIALLY Stephen King.
Stephen King should have nothing to do with the film versions of his stories, because I don't think he understands visual medium, but he's still written worthwhile stuff since his peak days. Cell is fucking awesome. I think it's the first book to ever give me a nightmare. I really want to read his time travel one even though I can never remember the name.

But this is not a book thread so I'll shut up!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Stephen King should have nothing to do with the film versions of his stories, because I don't think he understands visual medium, but he's still written worthwhile stuff since his peak days. Cell is fucking awesome. I think it's the first book to ever give me a nightmare. I really want to read his time travel one even though I can never remember the name.

But this is not a book thread so I'll shut up!
Best example... His first original screenplay was Sleepwalkers.

If you haven't seen it, count yourself lucky.

Werecats... seriously....

SeraRelm

Incestuous werecats!

MindDetective

MindDetective

I am a slobbering Coens fanboy, but I haven't seen Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, or The Man Who Wasn't There.
I really liked Miller's Crossing a lot the first time I watched it. It really doesn't get the appreciation it deserves because it is overshadowed by so many other great Coen's Brothers films. I'm not sure it held up too well, but it is still a favorite I have of theirs.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Incestuous werecats!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Incestuous werecats!
Incestuous werecats killing cops with pencils.

NOT KIDDING...

StephenKingsSleepwalkers-Still3.jpg

LittleSin

LittleSin

That cop looks mildly annoyed.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Barton Fink
See this!
The Man Who Wasn't There.
It's kind of cool how they limited themselves to styles of lighting/shots that were only used during that era of film... But otherwise I found this suuuuuuper underwhelming.

SeraRelm

I didn't watch The Man From Earth until last year. If anyone has missed THAT one, you're only hurting yourself.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I paid to see Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, then snuck in to see Angelina Jolie's tatas in Original Sin.

I felt dirty after that trip, just for everything.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I didn't watch The Man From Earth until last year. If anyone has missed THAT one, you're only hurting yourself.
Haven't seen it.

SeraRelm

I have never seen the kilmer or clooney batman movies. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I feel survivors guilt over it.

Shegokigo , it's fantastic. Amazing writing, good acting, great plot.

fade

fade

Eh....

It was okay. I reviewed it in the "last movie" thread a while back. I give them credit for pulling off a movie with NOTHING but talking heads without putting me to sleep. I wish they would've left it more ambiguous at the end. The whole
heart attack
thing felt a little forced.

SeraRelm

Yeah, had the ending been
left "unknown"
it would have boosted it into the "one of my favorite movies" zone. I still qualify it as a must see, though.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Never seen Office Space.

Paid for Titanic, didn't even have the pretense of taking a girl on a date to it, I was just curious about all the hype.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Office Space is definitely a must see.

If you do like it, I'd also recommend Idiocracy if you haven't seen that either.

Those two movies prove just how pranked we all were by Mike Judge by Beavis and Butt-head.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Office Space is definitely a must see.

If you do like it, I'd also recommend Idiocracy if you haven't seen that either.

Those two movies prove just how pranked we all were by Mike Judge by Beavis and Butt-head.
Mike Judge, Pre- Beavis and Butthead:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Office Space is one I haven't seen since high school, and I really want to watch it again. I had this friend in high school who would spend the entire movie trying to "sell" the movie to me--pointing out all the parts that were clever or funny, and why. It always made for a really crappy viewing experience, and he simply would not be shut down. So I'd love to see it without commentary.

Tress

Tress

Office Space is one I haven't seen since high school, and I really want to watch it again. I had this friend in high school who would spend the entire movie trying to "sell" the movie to me--pointing out all the parts that were clever or funny, and why. It always made for a really crappy viewing experience, and he simply would not be shut down. So I'd love to see it without commentary.
I have a friend like that. I try to avoid watching movies with him at all costs, especially ones he's seen. Blech.

Back on topic: I've never seen Casablanca. Or Citizen Kane. Or No Country for Old Men.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I HATE people like this.

SeraRelm

Watch No Country right now.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah. More than that, I hate that I become contrary about movies and things when these pushy people start talking. It's just really hard to judge something for yourself with a fanboy/girl buzzing in your ear.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I haven't seen Godfather or Godfather part 2, not going to. I really just don't like mob movies.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I hate westerns, but I still loved the Searchers and Unforgiven. I try not to disclude movies simply by genre.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Seeing parts of both those movies are what made me not like mob movies.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Was it the horse head? I bet it was the horse head.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Mike Judge, Pre- Beavis and Butthead:
MTV, Liquid Television. LOVED IT.

It was also on the same show that he introduced Beavis and Butt-head. That's pre Beavis and Butt-head by maybe a few episodes of the show.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah. More than that, I hate that I become contrary about movies and things when these pushy people start talking. It's just really hard to judge something for yourself with a fanboy/girl buzzing in your ear.
Yyyyyyeah. Ceej, you know I loves ya, but let's not ever see a superhero movie together.

Especially a Superman one. :p

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yyyyyyeah. Ceej, you know I loves ya, but let's not ever see a superhero movie together.

Especially a Superman one. :p
WHY WOULD YOU TALK AT ALL DURING A MOVIE! :mad:

Seriosly, I've gone full out douchebag to people who won't shut the hell up in a theater.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I confess...

This is my favorite movie...

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I've never watched Alien or Aliens, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Hotel Rwanda, Cast Away, or a lot of Disney classics (Lady & the Tramp, Cinderella, Fantasia, etc.)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Alien > Aliens > Pulp Fiction > Cast Away > Forrest Gump

That order. Tomorrow. Do it.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Nope. Sorry. And your response is why I haven't watched them so far. I have had those movies shoved at me constantly. I have no interest in seeing them and honestly I hate Tom Hanks.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

If you hate Tom Hanks, you'll hate all three of those movies about him. He carries them all.

Alien and Aliens though... cmon guuuuurl.

fade

fade

I hate westerns, but I still loved the Searchers and Unforgiven. I try not to disclude movies simply by genre.
The Outlaw Josie Wales? The Man with no Name trilogy? High Plains Drifter (shamalan-ish)? Treasure on Sierra Madre? Two Mules for Sister Sarah? Hmm.. I seem to have a thing for Clint Eastwood.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Seriosly, I've gone full out douchebag to people who won't shut the hell up in a theater.
In my defence, when I do talk during a movie, it's strategically. Between dialogue, or during moments of no dialogue at all (action sequences). I know the right moments when to talk and when to shut up.

Then again, depending on the movie, I get giddy and child-like with some things. I tend to laugh the most and loudest. I'll actually cheer or go "oh shit" during great action. Basically, I react. Not excessively or disruptively, but I do react. I like getting into the movies or shows I watch.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Then again, depending on the movie, I get giddy and child-like with some things. I tend to laugh the most and loudest. I'll actually cheer or go "oh shit" during great action. Basically, I react. Not excessively or disruptively, but I do react. I like getting into the movies or shows I watch.
That's not talking; it's reacting. Reacting is fine and is not the same as sitting there analyzing a film while it's being watched.

Bowielee

Bowielee

In my defence, when I do talk during a movie, it's strategically. Between dialogue, or during moments of no dialogue at all (action sequences). I know the right moments when to talk and when to shut up.

If we were seeing a movie together and you blabbed on during the action scenes, even if it's about the action scene itself, I would straight up punch you in the arm. You could ask my best friend, I've done it to him more than once.

I don't get pissy about much, but talking during movies is one of the very few that make me rage out.

And I mean actually talking, not laughing or gasping, etc...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, any kind of big analyzing can be can be saved for after the movie. But the reacting is the same as my talking during the theatre. Little snippets here and there.

SeraRelm

Nope. Sorry. And your response is why I haven't watched them so far. I have had those movies shoved at me constantly.
I understand your reticence in watching a film shoved at you constantly.

However...
Alien and Aliens though... cmon guuuuurl.
I must agree. If you find yourself in the position to see them, I'd suggest doing so and the pushy mcpushers be damned. Just don't let them know you're watching them.:p

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I confess, I come from a family of movie talkers.
We don't talk at the theatre, obviously, because we're not freaking animals. But sit down with my family at home to watch a movie on DVD, and because we're all trivia-afficianados it quickly becomes "Who's that? I recognize him from somewhere."
"Oh he played so and so in _____"
"No he didn't, that was so and so"
"No you're thinking of ______. I'm talking about ______"
"Oh, right, well then who was _______?"
etc, etc.

The worst is my mom though, because she is the sole member of my family who is NOT a movie trivia person, so while we'll talk, as Nick put it "Strategically", and at least about something related to the movie, mom will come in and sit down and start talking about what she had for lunch or something.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My mother only watches police procedurals. And my father only wants to talk to her during the last 10 minutes of the shows.

I am surprised that she has not done something drastic to him yet.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I never saw aliens but I think alien aged really poorly. When I watched it, it just looked corny. I can see why back when it came out it was considered great though.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

My mother only watches police procedurals. And my father only wants to talk to her during the last 10 minutes of the shows.

I am surprised that she has not done something drastic to him yet.
Oh my goodness, my parents are very similar. Mom will start watching one and dad will leave to walk the dogs. The last fifteen minutes is "Who is that guy?" "Did he do it?" "Is the black guy new? Wasn't he in..." Jesus, just walk the dogs after the show!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think the DVR has saved my dad's life on more than one occasion.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh my goodness, my parents are very similar. Mom will start watching one and dad will leave to walk the dogs. The last fifteen minutes is "Who is that guy?" "Did he do it?" "Is the black guy new? Wasn't he in..." Jesus, just walk the dogs after the show!
Your dad is Jesus?!
/obvious joke

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My mom is like this with movies sometimes.

Except she's been sitting there with the rest of us since it began.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

My folks keep interrupting me when I try watching a movie at home. Dad's one of those people that isn't interested in the movies I watch unless I'm already halfway through them. Then he starts asking question after question about this character and that character, what's going on, what's going to happen, etc. Or complains that there's excessive swearing (which is why I've never liked The Crow, because that's the only memory I remember about it).

They're not movie people in general, anyway. They don't go to the theatre. The last time we went as a family (including my sisters and their families), we saw Titanic together when it first came out back in the 90's. Mom fell asleep during it. Dad kept complaining the theatre was too hot, the sound too loud, and asking when the damn boat was going to sink.

Necronic

Necronic

honestly I hate Tom Hanks.
That is the most horrible thing I have ever read on this forum.

SeraRelm

Well, I did it. With the last of my vodka and breaks every 15 minutes or so, I watched Batman and Robin.

Frank

Frank

My buddy and I ditched school in grade 10 to watch it on a Friday afternoon.

It was definitely not worth the trouble.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I never saw aliens but I think alien aged really poorly. When I watched it, it just looked corny. I can see why back when it came out it was considered great though.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, I did it. With the last of my vodka and breaks every 15 minutes or so, I watched Batman and Robin.
batman-credit-card1.jpg

LittleSin

LittleSin

My buddy and I ditched school in grade 10 to watch it on a Friday afternoon.

It was definitely not worth the trouble.
When my husband was in high school, I in university, we skipped classes to see Revenge of the Sith.

Yup.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

When my husband was in high school, I in university, we skipped classes to see Revenge of the Sith.

Yup.
You fared better than for Batman and Robin.

evilmike

evilmike

For some reason, I'm reminded of this:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

My girlfriend and I in High School went to see a new superhero movie that came out around the time (mid-late 90's). I told her that the place was going to be packed. I told her we probably should go at least an hour and a half ahead of time, just to get a decent seat or a seat at all. It was going to be huge.

The theatre was maybe filled to half.

Spawn wasn't the big movie I thought it was going to be.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Was browsing Netflix and came across:

The Ginger-dead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver

After cleverly escaping the maximum security research institute of Homicidal Baked Goods, the Gingerdead Man stumbles upon a time machine and finds himself sent back in time as he slaughters the contestants of a 1970's Roller Boogie contest.

I confess, I have not seen this movie and therefore should not judge its quality. Nor is this likely to change!

Gods, I need to make a "NOOOOO" or "NO! NO! NO!" John Carter screencap, because that's twice I've needed such a thing in one thread.

@Li3n

@Li3n

The Ginger-dead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver

After cleverly escaping the maximum security research institute of Homicidal Baked Goods, the Gingerdead Man stumbles upon a time machine and finds himself sent back in time as he slaughters the contestants of a 1970's Roller Boogie contest.

I confess, I have not seen this movie and therefore should not judge its quality. Nor is this likely to change!
Based on the synopsis why would it's quality even matter, it sounds hilarious either way...

Kovac

Kovac

I have never seen The Piano

Which was pretty much the biggest movie to come out of my homeland at the time

Amebix

Goonies. I have never seen Goonies. I was the right age to see it when it was out too. I have never gotten more shit from people than when they find out I have never seen it. They could walk in on me with their mother and care more that I haven't seen fucking Goonies than what I'd be elbow deep in.

In summary? Fuck Goonies, I refuse.

SeraRelm

While I understand the reasons you feel that way, it's a neat movie and not watching it because of other people is just silly.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

How does one live their life based on the actions of others? It boggles the mind.

Frank

Frank

Goonies. I have never seen Goonies. I was the right age to see it when it was out too. I have never gotten more shit from people than when they find out I have never seen it. They could walk in on me with their mother and care more that I haven't seen fucking Goonies than what I'd be elbow deep in.

In summary? Fuck Goonies, I refuse.
Don't bother, it's not the same when you see it as an adult.

fade

fade

Goonies was my favorite movie as a kid.

Also, this thread makes me feel old when people say they were in high school for Revenge of the Sith and Batman and Robin. :(

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I feel old because I was in high school when The Goonies came out...

SeraRelm

I have never seen The Prestige.

Kovac

Kovac

I feel at least somewhat young since I have only ever been able to watch the goonies on the small screen.

Just Me

Just Me

The first time I saw the Rocky Horror Picture Show when it was aired on TV in germany (about 1984) I had to watch it on a small black-and-white portable TV under my blanket with earplugs. Yay!
Took me two more years to see it in colour after that!

And I still love to watch the Goonies!

Necronic

Necronic

Spawn wasn't the big movie I thought it was going to be.
Although it may have been the best comic movie of it's time.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Although it may have been the best comic movie of it's time.
Since that time in the early 90's sucked overall, though, that's not saying much.

Necronic

Necronic

It's still a good flick though. They really captured the essence of the opening comic books pretty well.

Covar

Covar

I have never seen The Prestige.
Great movie right until Bowie. Needless to say the movie swerves right into terrible.

I have never seen a Hitchcock or Kubrick movie all the way through. I need to fix that with Hitchcock, not so much with Kubrick.

The only western I've seen that didn't star the Duke is The Magnificent Seven, and Blazing Saddles (does it count?).

Tarintino somehow makes millions by making B movies with AAA budgets. Unlike Raiders of the Lost Ark none of his movies are any better than their inspirations.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Great movie right until Bowie. Needless to say the movie swerves right into terrible.

I have never seen a Hitchcock or Kubrick movie all the way through. I need to fix that with Hitchcock, not so much with Kubrick.

The only western I've seen that didn't star the Duke is The Magnificent Seven, and Blazing Saddles (does it count?).

Tarintino somehow makes millions by making B movies with AAA budgets. Unlike Raiders of the Lost Ark none of his movies are any better than their inspirations.
I don't think I could disagree with this entire post possibly any more.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't want to push the disagree button. I'm trying hard not to.

But you make it so difficult.

Covar

Covar

I can help, I watched 2001 right up until I fell asleep. The only other time I can recall a movie putting me to sleep was 3 ninja's kick back, when I was 8.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Wow. 2001 compared to 3 Ninjas Kick Back.

I'm putting you in my "Movie advice as good as fade " category.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

$1m, $8m, $12m, $30m, $30m, ~$5m* $70m

You add all those up, WITH inflation, and it doesn't cost as much as half the summer blockbusters this year. I'm not gonna argue much for Tarantino. He is one of my favorites, but I understand not liking him / not getting him, whatever. But his films have hardly been A+ budgeted extravaganzas.

*Grindhouse was $10m total, I gave Death Proof half, which is generous since I'm fairly certain Planet Terror cost more.

**Also, ignoring another Kubrick dig because well whatever, live and let live

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I can help, I watched 2001 right up until I fell asleep. The only other time I can recall a movie putting me to sleep was 3 ninja's kick back, when I was 8.
okay n/m live and let live suck my diiiiiiiiick

I saw 3 Ninjas Kick Back in theaters FOUR TIMES, that movie fucking rules

fade

fade

And I was about to brofist you, too.

fade

fade

Wow. 2001 compared to 3 Ninjas Kick Back.

I'm putting you in my "Movie advice as good as fade " category.
I'm confused. You and I usually agree on movies.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Dahling, twas a jest. As it is known that your meme is to dislike all that is good.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

$1m, $8m, $12m, $30m, $30m, ~$5m* $70m
I love how cheap Pulp Fiction was, and then went on to make $200 million.

fade

fade

I confess I've seen Pulp Fiction almost as many times as I've seen the original Star Wars trilogy.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I don't care that 2001 is boring to today's audience. If you have a short attention-span, just fast forward through the special effects scenes. The actual mission is damn fine cinema.

Kubrick is a genius.
Spartacus
Dr Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket

for just those 3, I can forgive that 2001 drags at times, but it was mind blowing special effects then. I can even forgive Eyes Wide Shut, reminds me of a few nights that I've had...

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I don't care that 2001 is boring to today's audience. If you have a short attention-span, just fast forward through the special effects scenes. The actual mission is damn fine cinema.
While I partly agree with you, I don't think someone necessarily has a short attention span just because they don't find watching a ship land for 5-10 minutes interesting. It's not a matter of attention span length, but whether the special effects impress you.

SeraRelm

The conveyed depth and majesty of what humankind has achieved in so relatively short amount of time is what Kubrik seemed to be aiming for with those scenes. He's building a sense of anticipation and focus, a calm before the storm.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Perhaps it was more amazing to audiences when it was released because space launches/travel was still new then.

The mission is the good part of 2001 to me. I liked the prehistoric part. The ships, the talks, the moon, and the ending sequence could all go on the scrap heap for me. I thought the book was better. The post-HAL part of the book conveyed the majesty and wonder that Kubrick might have been after in the film.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

They subscribe to the "Michael Bay" type of cinema. If there isn't an explosion or half-naked teen girls within 3.7mins of each other, they fall asleep.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I have another confession; Clockwork Orange was my Christmas Movie for 5 years.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Perhaps it was more amazing to audiences when it was released because space launches/travel was

still new then.
This. I think it's fair to say it's harder to impress a sense of majesty on someone solely with visuals if they find the visuals mundane rather than majestic.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Perhaps it was more amazing to audiences when it was released because space launches/travel was still new then.

The mission is the good part of 2001 to me. I liked the prehistoric part. The ships, the talks, the moon, and the ending sequence could all go on the scrap heap for me. I thought the book was better. The post-HAL part of the book conveyed the majesty and wonder that Kubrick might have been after in the film.
The book was DIFFERENT. Arthur Clarke himself said he was happier with how some of his parts turned out in the movie than in the book. Bear in mind both were released simultaneously.
On the other hand, the movie 2010 is beyond rubbish, while the book 2010 is still quite decent. With 2061 and 3001 he did the same as he did with the last two Rama books though; sequels to philosophically interesting books, turned into cheap sociological commentary. (I'm still a huge fan of his though)

SeraRelm

I have another confession; Clockwork Orange was my Christmas Movie for 5 years.
Die Hard is my Christmas movie.

I save Clockwork Orange for Mother's Day.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I've never seen Top Gun.

But I mean, is that really that bad?

SeraRelm

You can be my wingman any time, BananaGoose.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Since that time in the early 90's sucked overall, though, that's not saying much.
It's still a good flick though. They really captured the essence of the opening comic books pretty well.
Spawn is a great example of why corporate businessmen shouldn't have creative control. I know one of the guys who was involved in that in a pretty high up position, and the story I heard was basically like this:
The company: "You have to tone it down, it's got to be PG 13. Only teenagers go to see comic book movies"
Producer: "But the comic is for mature readers. It deals with some pretty heavy stuff."
The company: "Yeah, dumb it down a bit too. Kids aren't very smart. Lots of explosions and special effects."
Producer: "Well, All these effects shots you've got the writers to add in are stretching us thin. Can we at least get some more funding for the effects budget? ."
The company: "No."

@Li3n

@Li3n

I've never seen Top Gun.

But I mean, is that really that bad?
HOMOPHOBE...

Just Me

Just Me

I love Clockwork Orange, but then I also love The Pirate Movie.
Never seen anything else by Kubrick though still plan to get around to 2001 some day.
One of 5 movies to take to a lonely island for me would definitely be Excalibur. LOVE it!

Frank

Frank

I love me the shit out of Excalibur too.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I think Excalibur is amazing, but it's to blame for every fantasy epic film using women singing non-sensical latin at the top of their lungs during the great battles.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think Excalibur is amazing, but it's to blame for every fantasy epic film using women singing non-sensical latin at the top of their lungs during the great battles.
Hey, not ALL fantasy movies do that...

Sometimes it's Gaelic :p

Just Me

Just Me

Hey, not ALL fantasy movies do that...

Sometimes it's Gaelic :p
And sometimes it's Annie Lennox, and not in battle. :p

ElJuski

ElJuski

I love Clockwork Orange, but then I also love The Pirate Movie.
Why do people always try to base themselves and say "I have seen and enjoyed X movie, but then again, I'm the type of dope that likes Y"? You can be a well read TV / Movie / TV / music buff and still have clunkers. Or, in your case, not even clunkers, just a movie that isn't part of the canon or high art. Lowbrow and other entertainments still have their function in your pop-culture diet, and lowbrow entertainment still requires a certain talent and genius to execute well.

I'm a shitty Van Damme and Stallone movie junkie. Doesn't mean I'm a moron, or have bad taste. Now if that's all I watched...

Just Me

Just Me

I love The Pirate Movie, but then I also enjoyed Clockwork orange. :aaah:
Better that way round? ;)

I just wanted to show that I like everything that I like and stand true to it. I'm still not interested in Citizen Kane though.
I didn't want to base myself, don't worry, but thanks for your words nonetheless!

SeraRelm

ElJuski: "A little mold on the bread don't hurt nothin."

Necronic

Necronic

Spawn is a great example of why corporate businessmen shouldn't have creative control. I know one of the guys who was involved in that in a pretty high up position, and the story I heard was basically like this:
The company: "You have to tone it down, it's got to be PG 13. Only teenagers go to see comic book movies"
Producer: "But the comic is for mature readers. It deals with some pretty heavy stuff."
The company: "Yeah, dumb it down a bit too. Kids aren't very smart. Lots of explosions and special effects."
Producer: "Well, All these effects shots you've got the writers to add in are stretching us thin. Can we at least get some more funding for the effects budget? ."
The company: "No."
Spawn doesn't have to be gruesome to be an effective tale. The importance of it is about the manipulation of spawn and his pride into a series of no-win situations. All the stuff with Billy Kincaid (the ice-cream killer) is just flavor and not really necessary. In some ways the comic book just panders to the excessive violence that wasn't really needed, but was just in there because it was shocking at the time. Think about it relative to a book like Crossed, where you HAVE to have excessive violence. The story of Spawn didn't require it. So, I don't begrudge the movie for not having it, even if the motivation was a bit weak.

That and honestly John Leguazamo completely nailed the role of the Violator

@Li3n

@Li3n

Holy shit, that was John Leguizamo... omg, i totally see that now without even having to re-see teh film... so weird.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Spawn doesn't have to be gruesome to be an effective tale. The importance of it is about the manipulation of spawn and his pride into a series of no-win situations. All the stuff with Billy Kincaid (the ice-cream killer) is just flavor and not really necessary. In some ways the comic book just panders to the excessive violence that wasn't really needed, but was just in there because it was shocking at the time. Think about it relative to a book like Crossed, where you HAVE to have excessive violence. The story of Spawn didn't require it. So, I don't begrudge the movie for not having it, even if the motivation was a bit weak.

Adult != gruesome. I didn't read that into his post at all.

Spawn was a confused mess of a movie. The ONLY good thing about that movie was John Leguazamo's performance.

evilmike

evilmike

Holy shit, that was John Leguizamo... omg, i totally see that now without even having to re-see the film... so weird.
This is a common problem with John Leguizamo

Bowielee

Bowielee

This is a common problem with John Leguizamo

582594-to_wong_foo.jpg

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Adult != gruesome. I didn't read that into his post at all.

Spawn was a confused mess of a movie. The ONLY good thingS about that movie was were John Leguazamo's performance, AND THE EFFECTS ANIMATION ON THE VIOLATOR
The visual effects supervisor/ second unit director/ sole animator of the Violator on that movie is a friend of mine and also sort of a hero of mine, so I feel the need to correct this.

But yes, I didn't mean to imply that it was only gore that was missing. From what I hear about that movie, nobody was happy with the way it was dumbed down. I'm sure not even the writers were happy they were forced to work it they way they were.

Necronic

Necronic

Ah my bad, I misunderstood you. Maybe I should watch it again, because I don't remember it being that bad.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I was pissed that Violator was barely there, but that's more a budget/script issue.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh, man. Where do I begin? The list of movies I haven't seen that I ought've is legion. Let me rattle off a SHORT list of the movies I've somehow missed, in no particular order (and without reading the rest of this thread):

Gone with the Wind
The Office
Children of Men
Singin' in the Rain - Finally watched this a couple years ago.
The Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven
Once Upon a Time in the West
African Queen
Casablanca
Saving Private Ryan
Easy Rider
The Godfather (any of them)
The Graduate
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
A Clockwork Orange
Pulp Fiction
The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Schindler's List
Taxi Driver
The Deer Hunter
Cool Hand Luke
Slap Shot
Reservoir Dogs
Goodfellas
Unforgiven
El Camino
The Avengers (in fact, I haven't seen any of the other movies except the first Iron Man)
The Sound of Music
Metropolis
Deliverance
Groundhog Day
The Crying Game
The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Field of Dreams
Bull Durham
Freaks
Full Metal Jacket
Thelma and Louise
Trainspotting
Risky Buisiness
Top Gun
The Big Lebowski - Finally saw this one last year
Starman
Toy Story II & III (I've only seen the first one)
Up
Wall-E
Shrek the Turd Third
An American in Paris
When Harry Met Sally
Minority Report
Memento
Fight Club
Barton Fink
Pan's Labyrinth
Basic Instinct (either)
Die Hard III & IV
Lethal Weapon III & IV
Fargo
The English Patient
La Femme Nikita
Donnie Darko
The Toxic Avenger
Gangs of New York
Nightmare on Elm Street (any)
Psycho
Misery
Raising Arizona
Zoolander
Serpico
Spirited Away
Expendables
The Warriors
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (any)
Clerks (any)
Death Race (either)
Mommie Dearest
Night of the Living Dead
Blair Witch Project
Leprechaun (any)
Troll (any)
Gremlins 2

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh, man. Where do I begin? The list of movies I haven't seen that I ought've is legion. Let me rattle off a SHORT list of the movies I've somehow missed, in no particular order (and without reading the rest of this thread):

Gone with the Wind
The Office
Children of Men
Singin' in the Rain - Finally watched this a couple years ago.
The Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven
Once Upon a Time in the West
African Queen
Casablanca
Saving Private Ryan
Easy Rider
The Godfather (any of them)
The Graduate
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
A Clockwork Orange
Pulp Fiction
The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Schindler's List
Taxi Driver
The Deer Hunter
Cool Hand Luke
Slap Shot
Reservoir Dogs
Goodfellas
Unforgiven
El Camino
The Avengers (in fact, I haven't seen any of the other movies except the first Iron Man)
The Sound of Music
Metropolis
Deliverance
Groundhog Day
The Crying Game
The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Field of Dreams
Bull Durham
Freaks
Full Metal Jacket
Thelma and Louise
Trainspotting
Risky Buisiness
Top Gun
The Big Lebowski - Finally saw this one last year
Starman
Toy Story II & III (I've only seen the first one)
Up
Wall-E
Shrek the Turd Third
An American in Paris
When Harry Met Sally
Minority Report
Memento
Fight Club
Barton Fink
Pan's Labyrinth
Basic Instinct (either)
Die Hard III & IV
Lethal Weapon III & IV
Fargo
The English Patient
La Femme Nikita
Donnie Darko
The Toxic Avenger
Gangs of New York
Nightmare on Elm Street (any)
Psycho
Misery
Raising Arizona
Zoolander
Serpico
Spirited Away
Expendables
The Warriors
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (any)
Clerks (any)
Death Race (either)
Mommie Dearest
Night of the Living Dead
Blair Witch Project
Leprechaun (any)
Troll (any)
Gremlins 2

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Haven't seen John Carter, either.

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

--Patrick
I'll see it on Tuesday or Wednesday, at home. I just finally saw Avengers friday, so don't feel bad. I usually wait for cheaper movie tickets or DVD since it's just cheaper to buy most of the time.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

--Patrick
That's a lot of people. That's a new film, not a genre staple or classic, like many of the films on your shameful list.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, when theaters start charging reasonable rates, that list will shrink.

--Patrick

ElJuski

ElJuski

your list makes me so mad

so mad

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hey, when theaters start charging reasonable rates, that list will shrink.

--Patrick
Yes, I'm sure the dime they were charging for you to see Casablanca when it came out really busted your wallet :p.

Most of those are older movies at this point. Get yourself some Netflix or shit like that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Get yourself some Netflix or shit like that.
Kati and I have discussed it. Still more than we can afford.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

your list makes me so mad

so mad
I know, right? And we haven't even gotten into the classic television I've missed. Seinfeld (never seen), Dexter (never seen), Game of Thrones (never seen), Friends (never seen), Ally McBeal (never seen), etc. It's amazing I manage to function at all in social situations.

--Patrick

SeraRelm

TV doesn't matter. Go see movies.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

The television (especially sitcoms ie: Seinfeld, Friends) is more of a "in the moment" type thing. They've ended, and what you need to "know" you already know. Unless you are a fan of the actors/show don't worry about it. Unless, you are trying to appeal to somebody that is a fan and you need that background to have more meaningful conversations with that person.

ElJuski

ElJuski

back in the day, nickels were called bees...five bees for a quarter, you'd say.
I know, right? And we haven't even gotten into the classic television I've missed. Seinfeld (never seen), Dexter (never seen), Game of Thrones (never seen), Friends (never seen), Ally McBeal (never seen), etc. It's amazing I manage to function at all in social situations.

--Patrick

The television (especially sitcoms ie: Seinfeld, Friends) is more of a "in the moment" type thing. They've ended, and what you need to "know" you already know. Unless you are a fan of the actors/show don't worry about it. Unless, you are trying to appeal to somebody that is a fan and you need that background to have more meaningful conversations with that person.
That's like saying, "Oh, you know what Casablanca is about, WW2, blah blah, it's unimportant. WHY ARE YOU SO WRONG

Tress

Tress

It's true that 90% of television has a short shelf life. But that other 10%? Sometimes that stuff is as good as any film. There's a ton of excellent television over the last 10-15 years that still stands as some of the best work around.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

That's like saying, "Oh, you know what Casablanca is about, WW2, blah blah, it's unimportant. WHY ARE YOU SO WRONG
No, I don't think I am. Sitcoms, specifically, deal with many things that are topical and specific to the time, when set as a current day situation. I'm not saying that watching specific episodes can't be useful and entertaining, but the whole series, usually not worth it.

I am not applying this to movies, which is what you came back with in your response.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Seinfeld, News Radio, Friends, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke... off the top of my head these are five shows that transcend sitcom "topicality". If you're sitting there watching bullshit like Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother, than yeah, mostly useless. But these shows, though very much indebted to the 90's, are also paragons of television scripted comedy that is a strong foundation for what's going on today. It's unfair to say that most TV is stuck to its year or decade--that's just an assumption, and it's silly, Silly Billy.

SeraRelm

It's unfair to say Seinfeld was good.

ElJuski

ElJuski

You're right. It was exceptional.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I didn't even bring up non-sitcom shows like Arrested Development, Firefly, or The Simpsons, which, god forbid anyone watched that dated garbage.

SeraRelm

No, the opposite. Seinfeld was crap. 0/2 today ElJuski.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Seinfeld, News Radio, Friends, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke... off the top of my head these are five shows that transcend sitcom "topicality". If you're sitting there watching bullshit like Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother, than yeah, mostly useless. But these shows, though very much indebted to the 90's, are also paragons of television scripted comedy that is a strong foundation for what's going on today. It's unfair to say that most TV is stuck to its year or decade--that's just an assumption, and it's silly, Silly Billy.
I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke, I'll give those to you and agree with you, I think mostly because they are the archetype of the format and wrote the "rules" for that type of show.

It may be a difference in age here (not using it as "I'm older, you're younger and stupid") and how shows of that point in our lives affect us. Seinfeld, I was never into, I liked Kramer, but the others, blah. Friends, basically the same thing, except that I didn't like any of the characters. Maybe it has something to do with how New York/East Coast-centric that they come across with, but they just didn't appeal to me. Really there weren't any 1/2 hour shows that did appeal to me in the 90's, and part of that may be that I was in a time that I was learning to take care of a family and new baby (heck, I'm still learning, just not with a baby anymore).

Maybe it's because I grew up with MASH and always preferred the hour long format over the 1/2 hour. Blame PBS and Dr. Who re-runs for that.

Tress

Tress

Or The West Wing, The Wire, NYPD Blue, Breaking Bad, Justified, BtVS/Angel... all prime examples of shows that transcend the medium.

EDIT: You brought up MASH, which may be the king of staying relevant even decades after it went off the air.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Oh, so you didn't LIKE Seinfeld. Okay, cool. Doesn't mean the show isn't garbage or important to the history of pop-culture, or television as a medium. You just don't like it. Cool beans.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I had an on-again, off-again relationship with Friends. Some episodes were just so hilarious and unforgettable... Then came the later seasons, which seemed like a bunch of unlikeable caricatures in a joke-shouting contest. Quick, bring in even more cameos to draw attention away from the crappyness!

SeraRelm

Oh, so you didn't LIKE Seinfeld. Okay, cool. Doesn't mean the show isn't garbage or important to the history of pop-culture, or television as a medium. You just don't like it. Cool beans.
Agreed.

ElJuski

ElJuski

But Friends at its peak is still Friends at its peak. I wouldn't advise anyone to watch The Simpsons after season 9, either.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The Wire would have importance to any human society in 500 years, and would have been important to Ancient Greece as well.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The Wire would have importance to any human society in 500 years, and would have been important to Ancient Greece as well.
:eek:

fade

fade

I hated Seinfeld. I also didn't get it. Part of the problem is that I'm a South Carolinian. Then I married a New Yorker, and I got the jokes.

Most of which were still kind of silly. But on the other hand, they were silly on purpose. Which doesn't make them any funnier.

ElJuski

ElJuski

but again, we're not talking about whether you liked the show or not, but rather, the fact that it is a television show that has a reputation for being a very innovative and critically acclaimed television show, which, particularly, transcends its place and time.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Seinfeld is funny because it makes up its own universe that happens to resemble New York foibles. You don't need to be from there to get the jokes...

...but it does make you awesome.

Gusto

Gusto

I had an on-again, off-again relationship with Friends. Some episodes were just so hilarious and unforgettable... Then came the later seasons, which seemed like a bunch of unlikeable caricatures in a joke-shouting contest. Quick, bring in even more cameos to draw attention away from the crappyness!
I actually had the opposite experience with Friends, where it seemed like the first 5 seasons were only there to provide context.

SeraRelm

Seinfeld is about a bunch of whiney dicks who hang out with each other to bitch about everything el-

fade

fade

Seinfeld is about a bunch of whiney dicks who hang out with each other to bitch about everything el-

Did you see the series finale? That's basically the conclusion the show came to. They were such whiny dicks that they were put in jail for it.

SeraRelm

Oh I know. I try not to blindly pass my own judgement on something without checking into it. I just didn't like the show. I don't care that they were dicks, it was the whining. The constant, unending whining.

ElJuski

ElJuski

for the record, the finale was awful.

SeraRelm

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Did you see the series finale? That's basically the conclusion the show came to. They were such whiny dicks that they were put in jail for it.
Spoilers...

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hey, now, don't be trash talking my Big Bang Theory.

ElJuski

ElJuski

SeraRelm

Why is there anything in that video but a blank screen?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Why is there anything in that video but a blank screen?
It's a video about nothing.

--Patrick

SeraRelm

Sounds about right.:troll:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

and george costanza sure has a lot of girlfriends for a guy who is bad at talking to women.
He is good at getting dates, but is not good with women... I am pretty much the same way.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I honestly don't get what people see in Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I've seen it once, and thought it boring, poorly written and generally yawn-inducing.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I honestly don't get what people see in Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I've seen it once, and thought it boring, poorly written and generally yawn-inducing.
For me, it's an example of doing bad things differently and preaching that the different way you are doing bad things makes them good.

Tress

Tress

Why, it's almost as if people have differing opinions! How strange!

Necronic

Necronic

He is good at getting dates, but is not good with women... I am pretty much the same way.
I'm basically the opposite. Hard for me to get a date, but when I do I'm like an infection that you just can't get rid of.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm basically the opposite. Hard for me to get a date, but when I do I'm like an infection that you just can't get rid of.
Antibiotics = restraining order

HowDroll

HowDroll

I feel like Seinfeld would have been way funnier if Jerry Seinfeld didn't always have a shit-eating "har har I'm so funny aren't I guise" grin on his face. You can tell he's constantly laughing at his own jokes. Meh.

Frank

Frank

Necronic

Necronic

But he is really funny.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I dunno, really... I've noticed that a lot of these 90s sitcoms just haven't aged that well. I remember laughing at Friends and Will & Greg... nowadays their reruns just seem, I dunno, dated. There's still a chuckle or two to be had, but the loud guffaws are gone.

Then again, I hate some modern sitcoms - particularly those aimed at teens - with the fire of a thousand suns.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I saw 10.000 BC

I didn't hate it.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I dunno, really... I've noticed that a lot of these 90s sitcoms just haven't aged that well. I remember laughing at Friends and Will & Greg... nowadays their reruns just seem, I dunno, dated. There's still a chuckle or two to be had, but the loud guffaws are gone.

Then again, I hate some modern sitcoms - particularly those aimed at teens - with the fire of a thousand suns.
Part of the reason is that you have evolved. You're no longer 16 years old :p
Another part though, is that a LOT of sitcom stuff is just repeated ad nauseam. Friends I still laugh at occasionally, but it suffers just asm uch from this as Dharma & Greg or Will & Grace or whatever. Full House, Growing Pains, blahblahblah. They're painfully predictable. Even the good ones! That 70s Show is good, but I can tell you how a given episode is going to end within minutes. And not just those I've seen :p
It's what seperates the good Simpsons episodes from the bad ones in modern seasons. The bad ones are just "more of the same" or so off the wall in their attempts at humor that they're not funny - too contrived a situation,.... The good ones strike a balance where old characters behave the way they would, but the situation is new or different enough that there's new jokes to be made.

Some newer sitcoms have the same problem. They're so predictable they're as boring as watching reruns. Oh no! Comedic miscommunication giving rise to hilarious hijinks as person A tries to keep person B from discovering it's actually his niece! Ha-HAH! *cough*
Some other newer shows are too temporally bound - political commentary is either so general it's pointless (politicians! Bastards, right?) or won't be understandable/applicable in a few years' time (Obama is the President of Peace, we'll all be so much better off in 4 years time!), new gadgets coming out (an iPod? Wow!),...
Some shows are just a bit weird to rewatch - in Sex and the City, a big deal is made out of not being allowed to smoke indoor in LA, while they can happily do it in NY. "What a curbing of personal liberty! We could never live like that in NY! Haha, silly Californians!". Guess what you can't do in NY these days? Right.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Seinfeld and Fresh Prince are still funny to me.

The rest... no.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I still laugh my ass off at Will and Grace, but I just can't get enough of Megan Mullaly. Which is why it's a shame that Breaking In won't be renewed.

Speaking of which, I feel so bad for Bret Harrison. He just can't star in a show that sticks around for more than 2 seasons.