Export thread

Common knowledge things you learned late

fade

fade

Just for funsies, are there any tidbits you consider common knowledge that you didn't learn until later in life?

I can say I didn't realize the first number in an office number represented the floor until at least I went to college. Hadn't spent much time in multi-story buildings before that.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There is no sex in the champagne room, no matter what she says.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I used to have an awful time figuring out which side of the car the gas goes into. Sometimes, I'd get out before driving up to the pumps to check both sides.

I had no idea the little arrow on the gas gauge tells you which side it's on.

Cog

Cog

I used to have an awful time figuring out which side of the car the gas goes into. Sometimes, I'd get out before driving up to the pumps to check both sides.

I had no idea the little arrow on the gas gauge tells you which side it's on.
There is an arrow on the gas gauge?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

There is an arrow on the gas gauge?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Tin ninja'd me :([DOUBLEPOST=1484334210,1484334019][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyway, on topic. I was around 20 when I learned that you hearing unimpaired people can hear where sounds come from, that stereo speakers mimic that.

Anonymous

There is no sex in the champagne room, no matter what she says.
wrong

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I'm betting this is @Ravenpoe, who has just this moment learned the truth.

Anonymous

I'm betting this is @Ravenpoe, who has just this moment learned the truth.
wrong

admitting to prostitution can follow a one around

Celt Z

Celt Z

I used to have an awful time figuring out which side of the car the gas goes into...I had no idea the little arrow on the gas gauge tells you which side it's on.
Aaaaaaand TIL.

(I'll come up with something later. Right now my mind is blown.)

PatrThom

PatrThom

I assume the little arrow was added to make it easier for people who rent various cars over business trips and such.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The abbreviation NE does not mean New England. Learned that from Halforums.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It was, like, 2002 when I learned that "mauve" wasn't pronounced "mwahv."

Telephius

Telephius

Depends if it is US English or British English.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

... it's not?

Bubble181

Bubble181

... it's not?
m- ohh-vv.

GasBandit

GasBandit

... it's not?
Like Bubble said. It rimes with "trove" or "clove."

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

If in doubt pronounce it lilac!!

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Oh, I only learned later in life that anybody cares how toilet paper is placed on the roll.

I still do it wrong, and I don't care.

mikerc

mikerc

As long as there's paper there when I need it I don't care how the paper is on the roll. Hell, sometimes when I finish the old one I'll just place the new one on top of the cistern bypassing the roll altogether.

evilmike

evilmike

If in doubt pronounce it lilac!!
Out of curiosity, how do you pronounce 'Raymond Luxury Yacht'?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Like Bubble said. It rimes with "trove" or "clove."
I thought it was pronounced like "@bhamv3"
...actually that's not true, I always thought it was pronounced like "saw" or "thought."

--Patrick

General Specific

General Specific

Like "Throatwarbler Mangrove"

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

This is completely regional, but near where I grew up there is a honky-tonk called JC Cowboys (http://www.jccowboys.com/). Until I was at least 22, I thought it was a JC Penny's for cowboy clothes. Even while talking to other undergrads about their weekend and they said they went JC Cowboys, I just assumed they went shopping. I think I was in sculpting class when I over heard a couple of folks talking about getting shitfaced at JCC. Then, OIC.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This is completely regional, but near where I grew up there is a honky-tonk called JC Cowboys (http://www.jccowboys.com/). Until I was at least 22, I thought it was a JC Penny's for cowboy clothes. Even while talking to other undergrads about their weekend and they said they went JC Cowboys, I just assumed they went shopping. I think I was in sculpting class when I over heard a couple of folks talking about getting shitfaced at JCC. Then, OIC.
It took me a little while here, too, to figure out that the Texas Hall of Fame (which has since closed down) was a bar/concert venue, not a museum.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I did not learn it, I had to tell it to another person. Seeing the Big Johnson pic from Gas, reminded me of the time I had to tell a 50+ year old teacher what a Big Johnson was.

Eriol

Eriol

I'll admit to the fact that I was well into my teens (and possibly 20, though I'm not sure) before I knew what a "Mrs. Robinson" reference was all about. Obviously the song didn't make much sense either until I figured that out. Still haven't seen The Graduate either, though again, I now know more what that's about.

Mathias

Mathias

metal music is called that because it's harder than rock.

Bubble181

Bubble181

....Really?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I did not learn it, I had to tell it to another person. Seeing the Big Johnson pic from Gas, reminded me of the time I had to tell a 50+ year old teacher what a Big Johnson was.
I remember the t-shirts. Ah, the 90's.

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

....Really?
Not according to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music#Etymology

But that doesn't mean Mathias is wrong either. Basically it's "uncertain" but Mathias' explanation isn't listed there.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

I try not to!

Actually you have stumped me. This may be some sort of pun, but it is lost on me.

evilmike

evilmike

I try not to!

Actually you have stumped me. This may be some sort of pun, but it is lost on me.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

Ach Soo!

Dave

Dave

It took me a little while here, too, to figure out that the Texas Hall of Fame (which has since closed down) was a bar/concert venue, not a museum.
There's a bar/restaurant near here called Quaker Steak & Lube. I always thought it was an auto parts store.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There's a bar/restaurant near here called Quaker Steak & Lube. I always thought it was an auto parts store.
I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose, it's a chain, and the inside is usually mocked up to look like an oil change garage.

There's another place around here called Harvey Washbangers. That's confusing on a number of levels, because it sounds like a bar because of the Harvey Wallbanger pun, but it's not a bar, it's a Restaurant that serves really good non-standard burgers. Oh, and yes, double whiplash from "that must be a laundromat" "well, it's a restaurant" "Oh" "and it's also a laundromat." "Wha?"

So yeah, it's a combined restaurant/laundromat.

Dave

Dave

Well that's just stupid. There's no way I'd see the name and think, "Huh. Guess I want to EAT there."

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well that's just stupid. There's no way I'd see the name and think, "Huh. Guess I want to EAT there."
Which, Quaker Steak and Lube or Harvey Washbangers? :D

Heh, as for the latter, well, you're not a dorm-dwelling college student with a huge sack of dirty clothes and an empty belly :p They must be doing SOMETHING right because it's outlasted a dozen other restaurants in the area over the last 15 years or so.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This probably doesn't fall under common knowledge, but two things blew my mind when I first moved to Toronto.

For one, I didn't feel like cooking for the first few days after I'd arrived. Too much shit to unpack. So I figured I'd order my usual from a local pizza place: a medium pizza and medium garlic fingers. I called over half a dozen different pizza joints. None of them had a clue what I was talking about. They thought I confused garlic fingers with garlic bread or garlic sticks. After some short googling, I discovered garlic fingers, like donairs, is strictly an east coast thing. I was a little heartbroken.

Then, I experienced my first major Toronto snowstorm. But while I watched the snow fall from my window, I suddenly see a flash of...lightning?! And a clap of thunder?! Since when the hell does a thunderstorm happen during a snowstorm!? I learned later that that was indeed a thing that occurs in weather. I had no idea.

GasBandit

GasBandit

For one, I didn't feel like cooking for the first few days after I'd arrived. Too much shit to unpack. So I figured I'd order my usual from a local pizza place: a medium pizza and medium garlic fingers. I called over half a dozen different pizza joints. None of them had a clue what I was talking about. They thought I confused garlic fingers with garlic bread or garlic sticks. After some short googling, I discovered garlic fingers, like donairs, is strictly an east coast thing. I was a little heartbroken.
TIL Garlic fingers. And that I want some.

But I also had a similar experience to this, too! Apparently the term for what you get when you deep fry mozzarella varies from place to place. What the Red Robin in Colorado Springs called "Fried Cheese" apparently is called "Mozzarella sticks" at restaurants here in Texas, even though they are both this:

And asking for the former here just gets you dumbfounded looks.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well, if you don't mind making them from scratch...

http://halifaxbloggers.ca/isaynomato/east-coast-garlic-fingers-with-donair-sauce/

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I didn't know garlic had fingers.

Same goes for chickens.

PatrThom

PatrThom

while I watched the snow fall from my window, I suddenly see a flash of...lightning?! And a clap of thunder?! Since when the hell does a thunderstorm happen during a snowstorm!? I learned later that that was indeed a thing that occurs in weather. I had no idea.
Yep. It even has a name that could belong to a superhero.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

I found out yesterday that "green cheese" (as in "the moon is made of...") refers to the age of the cheese, not the colour.

Dei

Dei

But I also had a similar experience to this, too! Apparently the term for what you get when you deep fry mozzarella varies from place to place. What the Red Robin in Colorado Springs called "Fried Cheese" apparently is called "Mozzarella sticks" at restaurants here in Texas, even though they are both this:

And asking for the former here just gets you dumbfounded looks.
Um, I have never seen them called anything but Mozzarella sticks. :confused:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Um, I have never seen them called anything but Mozzarella sticks. :confused:
I dunno what to tell you. My buds and I always ordered "fried cheese."

Dei

Dei

I dunno what to tell you. My buds and I always ordered "fried cheese."
Clearly Colorado Springs is more backwards than I thought.

fade

fade

Can't say I've ever heard anything but mozzarella sticks either.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Clearly Colorado Springs is more backwards than I thought.
I won't argue against that, heh.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Huh. Several local places serve stuff like that, jut call it Cheezy Bread.

klew

klew

Local-ish pizza place toasts their sub sandwich bread for their cheesy garlic bread.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

@drawn_inward, "one word, plastics" was a famous line early in the movie that became a meme of it's day.
I don't think I have seen Mrs. Robinson. That explains why I didn't get the ref.

jwhouk

jwhouk

@drawn_inward - second thing you've learned today: the title is "The Graduate".

PatrThom

PatrThom

Third thing you'll learn if you watch it is that Dustin Hoffman used to be young.
(And no, I haven't seen it)

--Patrick

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Probably within the last five years: the correct pronunciation of "caulk" - I always pronounced the L, which now sounds quite awkward to my ears. People thought I was being a prude, afraid to say "cock." Nope. Just didn't know.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Probably within the last five years: the correct pronunciation of "caulk" - I always pronounced the L, which now sounds quite awkward to my ears. People thought I was being a prude, afraid to say "cock." Nope. Just didn't know.
Hrm, I've always pronounced it "kawlk" and nobody's ever corrected me...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Hrm, I've always pronounced it "kawlk" and nobody's ever corrected me...
Yeah, it's "cock" and "cocking" gun, etc. At least around here.

Dei

Dei

I never pronounce the L, but with more of a cawk than a cock. Or is that the same pronunciation to some people? :O

GasBandit

GasBandit

I never pronounce the L, but with more of a cawk than a cock. Or is that the same pronunciation to some people? :O
It is for some. Depends on the regional dialect, in my experience.

And thank you all for getting me to sit here at my desk at work practicing the various ways of saying "cock" out loud.

Dei

Dei

Regional dialects are fun, my husband and I still argue about the right way to pronounce aunt.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Regional dialects are fun, my husband and I still argue about the right way to pronounce aunt.
And then there are those of us who just drift between saying it one way and then the other with no rhyme or reason.

drifter

drifter

I only recently (as in the last year or two) learned what fitful actually meant. Growing up I never bothered to look up the definition, assuming its meaning from context. Turns out it means pretty much the opposite of what I thought. :/

bhamv3

bhamv3

I only recently (as in the last year or two) learned what fitful actually meant. Growing up I never bothered to look up the definition, assuming its meaning from context. Turns out it means pretty much the opposite of what I thought. :/
I exercise fitfully.

Bubble181

Bubble181

"Not like the insect".

PatrThom

PatrThom

I pronounce "caulk" like "chalk" or "talk." I also try to pronounce "aunt" like "awning" mainly so that there is no confusing what I mean, though I will inconsistently pronounce "auntie" like "anti-" or "on tea" with no rhyme nor reason because I don't feel there's confusion there.

--Patrick

fade

fade

I don't think I've ever heard anyone drop the "L" in caulk.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't think I've ever heard anyone drop the "L" in caulk.
I mean, I think I sort of have?

Because Caulk rhymes with Chalk which rhymes with Chock which has no L.

And what's really wierd is that the chocks you put around the wheels of a plane to stop it from rolling seem to be pronounced differently than something being chock full of whatever.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Caulk and Chalk don't rhyme at all. the middle of "Caulk" is like "all around the world" - the middle of "Chalk" is like "Alphabet". Well, ok, not really, but I can't think of anything that has the "chalk" pronunciation readily and doesn't have a differently-pronounced homonym. Hmm.

fade

fade

You lost me on that one. Chalk and caulk rhyme 'round these parts, son.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Caulk and Chalk don't rhyme at all. the middle of "Caulk" is like "all around the world" - the middle of "Chalk" is like "Alphabet". Well, ok, not really, but I can't think of anything that has the "chalk" pronunciation readily and doesn't have a differently-pronounced homonym. Hmm.
Maybe in belgium, but almost everywhere I've lived, they rhyme.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Fairly sure chalk and caulk rhyme in standard English, because /t͡ʃɔːk/ and /kɔːk/.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fairly sure chalk and caulk rhyme in standard English, because /t͡ʃɔːk/ and /kɔːk/.
But hey, I look forward to correcting Bubble's dutch pronunciation, going forward :p

Eriol

Eriol

The main thing wrong with that post IMO is your idea that "Standard English" exists at all.

fade

fade

But hey, I look forward to correcting Bubble's dutch pronunciation, going forward :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Heh, Pauline was completely and utterly nonplussed by Goldmember.

Denbrought

Denbrought

The main thing wrong with that post IMO is your idea that "Standard English" exists at all.
Eh, fair enough. It's what you get for not having an official language academy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PatrThom

PatrThom

Caulk rhymes with Chalk which rhymes with Chock which has no L.
No, "chock" is pronounced like "shock," "mock," and "flock," unlike caulk/walk/chalk/balk/talk/stalk.

--Patrick

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Chock, caulk, talk, mock, sock all rhyme, everyone else is wrong MY ACCENT IS THE TRUE ACCENT

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I was 14 when I realized that the wire you make cattle fences from was not Bob Wire.

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1484870456,1484870396][/DOUBLEPOST]
I was 14 when I realized that the wire you make cattle fences from was not Bob Wire.
Yeah, it's bob war.

Many a bob war fence round here, I reckon.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

My first car ran on propane, so I didn't know how to fill up a car at a gas station until I was into my 20's.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My first car ran on propane, so I didn't know how to fill up a car at a gas station until I was into my 20's.
Heh, When I was 19 I had to teach one a buddy's girlfriend how to remove ice from an ice cube tray. She had never lived without an ice cube maker built into her fridge. She didn't believe me at first that you just "grab both ends and twist until you hear cracking noises."

PatrThom

PatrThom

That is still one of my most favorite C&H strips.
Heh, When I was 19 I had to teach one a buddy's girlfriend how to remove ice from an ice cube tray. She had never lived without an ice cube maker built into her fridge. She didn't believe me at first that you just "grab both ends and twist until you hear cracking noises."
Hah ha! Silly person. No, you grab the lever in the center and pull upwards until you hear cracking noises.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

That is still one of my most favorite C&H strips.

Hah ha! Silly person. No, you grab the lever in the center and pull upwards until you hear cracking noises.

--Patrick
I actually had one of those too, but as it was made of metal I didn't trust her with it