Common knowledge things you learned late

fade

Staff member
Just for funsies, are there any tidbits you consider common knowledge that you didn't learn until later in life?

I can say I didn't realize the first number in an office number represented the floor until at least I went to college. Hadn't spent much time in multi-story buildings before that.

I used to have an awful time figuring out which side of the car the gas goes into. Sometimes, I'd get out before driving up to the pumps to check both sides.

I had no idea the little arrow on the gas gauge tells you which side it's on.

I used to have an awful time figuring out which side of the car the gas goes into. Sometimes, I'd get out before driving up to the pumps to check both sides.

I had no idea the little arrow on the gas gauge tells you which side it's on.
There is an arrow on the gas gauge?

Tin ninja'd me :([DOUBLEPOST=1484334210,1484334019][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyway, on topic. I was around 20 when I learned that you hearing unimpaired people can hear where sounds come from, that stereo speakers mimic that.

I assume the little arrow was added to make it easier for people who rent various cars over business trips and such.

--Patrick

Oh, I only learned later in life that anybody cares how toilet paper is placed on the roll.

I still do it wrong, and I don't care.

As long as there's paper there when I need it I don't care how the paper is on the roll. Hell, sometimes when I finish the old one I'll just place the new one on top of the cistern bypassing the roll altogether.

This is completely regional, but near where I grew up there is a honky-tonk called JC Cowboys (http://www.jccowboys.com/). Until I was at least 22, I thought it was a JC Penny's for cowboy clothes. Even while talking to other undergrads about their weekend and they said they went JC Cowboys, I just assumed they went shopping. I think I was in sculpting class when I over heard a couple of folks talking about getting shitfaced at JCC. Then, OIC.

GasBandit

Staff member
This is completely regional, but near where I grew up there is a honky-tonk called JC Cowboys (http://www.jccowboys.com/). Until I was at least 22, I thought it was a JC Penny's for cowboy clothes. Even while talking to other undergrads about their weekend and they said they went JC Cowboys, I just assumed they went shopping. I think I was in sculpting class when I over heard a couple of folks talking about getting shitfaced at JCC. Then, OIC.
It took me a little while here, too, to figure out that the Texas Hall of Fame (which has since closed down) was a bar/concert venue, not a museum.

I did not learn it, I had to tell it to another person. Seeing the Big Johnson pic from Gas, reminded me of the time I had to tell a 50+ year old teacher what a Big Johnson was.

I'll admit to the fact that I was well into my teens (and possibly 20, though I'm not sure) before I knew what a "Mrs. Robinson" reference was all about. Obviously the song didn't make much sense either until I figured that out. Still haven't seen The Graduate either, though again, I now know more what that's about.