[NCAAF] College Football 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Tennessee did win the championship back in the 90s.

That being said, the SEC is definitely the best conference.

At least the Vols have a shot to win the national title every year, unlike all the teams in shit mountain (every other conference)
And that shot usually ends after their first conference game.

BTW, Charlie? A friend of mine wants to give you a message. Something about "ANCHOR DOWN"?

I have friends on both sides of the argument. One is a Vandy alum who still works for the university; another is a UTK alum who has a soft spot for 'Bama because of her dad.

Both sides agree that UT had a horrid season this year.

Mount Union already won the Stagg Bowl this weekend. Some suggest it wasn't the same, because they didn't play us.

I'm starting to think that part of the reason that Washington State University has such a hard time breaking out of its shell and becoming a good, solid football program, has to do with the fact that the fans (and the boosters, who influence AD and Head Coach hiring) have set such a low bar for what constitutes and amazing football player. Our senior quarterback just finally announced that he's not going to continue his quest for a medical redshirt for the 2011 season, and is moving on from the university, and to read the comments from the fans on the various articles about it, you'd think that Peyton Manning had just announced that he's going to retire at the end of the year.

This is a QB who, for his career, had only 8 more TDs than he had INTs. His highest completion rating for a season was 64.4%, and his highest single-season passing yardage was 2780 in 2010. He was hurt almost every year, frequently with broken bones and once with compartment syndrome. Now, some of that completion percentage can be attributed to receivers that drop the ball or run the wrong route, and it's not like the Cougars have had great records for the last 10 years or so; but these are not the stats of a great QB. And yet, the fans talk about him like he's the second coming of Joe Montana. Maybe it's just been so long since the Cougs have had a good team to cheer for that they've forgotten what a good player looks like, but they really need to up the bar.

And it's not like we haven't had any decent QBs. We had Bledsoe, who went on to a fairly successful NFL career with the Patriots, and Leaf, who was a complete and utter failure in the NFL but played pretty well in college. But we haven't had anything like Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, or Matt Barkley. I'd almost hate to imagine what kind of slavish devotion a QB of that caliber would get at WSU. It'd probably be worse than the Favre worshiping in Wisconsin or the Tebow worship from Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.