[Question] Click... Then nothing.

No error messages. No sign anything was amiss. PC just clicked off in the middle of a WoW session and wouldn't power back on. There was a faint smell of ozone as I looked at the back of the unit. I sprayed the case out with canned air, waited an hour or so, sprayed out again. Nothing. I press the power button and absolutely nothing happens.

Hopefully this is is as simple(ish) as replacing the PSU. Thoughts?

No error messages. No sign anything was amiss. PC just clicked off in the middle of a WoW session and wouldn't power back on. There was a faint smell of ozone as I looked at the back of the unit. I sprayed the case out with canned air, waited an hour or so, sprayed out again. Nothing. I press the power button and absolutely nothing happens.

Hopefully this is is as simple(ish) as replacing the PSU. Thoughts?
My guess would be psu if you aren't even getting a power light. If it's not that then it would be you're mobo but I don't think you'd smell ozone as much as day burnt wires

Don't be insulted by this, but sometimes it's easy to miss the really simple solutions. Have you checked the power strip it's plugged into?

GasBandit

Staff member
Definitely sounds like the power supply to me. There's a chance it's the motherboard, but it's smaller - and in a case where there is smellable burning, there should be a pretty obvious burn mark on the motherboard (usually around one of the capacitors). Also, if it was the motherboard, I would have expected it to freeze rather than suddenly shut down (as the graphics card would have been like "well now what do I do?")

I had almost the same thing happen to me a few days ago too(LoL instead of WoW). Though I know its the power supply as it's normally pretty cool to the touch, this time it was burning hot and had that smell.
So where are some good places to get a new power supply since it's been awhile since I've had to replace any parts.

New power supply would be the first thing to try. Make sure the power cord itself is not the culprit, and you can try a quick and dirty test on the PSU to see if it at least still works. If it doesn't, then you're set.
A bit of a warning, though. If the PSU shut down for safety, but you force it to turn on, that might be unsafe.

--Patrick

My sister offered to buy me a new PSU for Christmas. I sent her a link to the same OCZ 700W one I had. It's modular, so I'm thinking of leaving the cables connected on the motherboard side, and just swapping out the PSU block.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm still wondering why the hell I put a 1000W power supply in my computer. I don't think I'd come even close to needing that much power, even on a heavy gaming rig.

I need to start throwing more canned air at mine. Dust is probably what killed the old PSU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a long haired dog that sheds a ton. I pretty much have to keep it clean. Speaking of which, I need to get a new can of air.

My turn.

I went to plug in my old soldier* today to grab a file for Kati.
Went to plug it in and got a flash of light and big BANG! from the PSU.
I'm actually at a point where I have to decide if it's worth reanimating.
Not even sure how I might be able to test the board without getting another PSU, but that's problematic since the board sports one of the older P9 AT-style connectors...and needs it.

--Patrick
*2xP-III Server/Quadro FX4000/2GB/2x160GB RAID, probably one of the best non-P4 AGP systems ever built.