Export thread

Civil Forfieture. WTF.

Necronic

Necronic

This article is an insane read. How can cops think that this is ok? Understand that this is talking about civil forfeiture, not criminal forfeiture. This means that you don't even have to be convicted of a crime for them to take your stuff. And the defenses coming from cops on this are crazy. Anyways, read for yourself

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/08/12/130812fa_fact_stillman

Eriol

Eriol

I agree this is reprehensible, but so is almost anything where the cost to fight it exceeds the cost to "settle" with the aggressor (see patent trolls). That it is the "government" makes it 1,000,000 times worse in this case.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Louisiana is likely the worst state for forfieture. I have a friend that is black, who buys and sells sports/concert tickets for a living. When ever he has to travel to buy tickets he gets stopped in LA multiple times coming and going. Luckily he is savvy enough not to get all that cash taken. A black man with $7,000 cash if very suspicious on Interstate 10.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Do I even need to... no, I don't think I do.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh, is this the first time some of you have heard of this, @Necronic ?

Texas has made the headlines repeatedly for this issue, stealing large sums of cash, cars, etc. from "suspicious" people that happen to go through specific towns.
It is reprehensible and should be stopped, but until the civil forfeiture laws are reformed, just avoid going through Texas. Simple, right?

--Patrick

Covar

Covar

Louisiana is likely the worst state for forfieture. I have a friend that is black, who buys and sells sports/concert tickets for a living. When ever he has to travel to buy tickets he gets stopped in LA multiple times coming and going. Luckily he is savvy enough not to get all that cash taken. A black man with $7,000 cash if very suspicious on Interstate 10.
might make him look like a scalper.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Scalping is legal if you do it online. But it is difficult to get out of a traffic stop on a major highway with a large amount of cash.

Necronic

Necronic

Oh, is this the first time some of you have heard of this, @Necronic ?

Texas has made the headlines repeatedly for this issue, stealing large sums of cash, cars, etc. from "suspicious" people that happen to go through specific towns.
It is reprehensible and should be stopped, but until the civil forfeiture laws are reformed, just avoid going through Texas. Simple, right?

--Patrick
Honestly, I live in Texas and I have never heard of this. This could be because I am white and have enough money to fight it though.

Dave

Dave

Yeah, this is an absolute bullshit process and is routinely derided by everyone save the law enforcement individuals who defend it. But you'll also notice nobody is doing anything about it other than yelling.

I think it'll take a Congressman or other politician having their money taken to get anything done.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, what happens if they give you the option of forfieture, and you just say no?

Dave

Dave

You have no option. If you say no they take it anyway.

Your best bet is to tell them no when they want to search your car in the first place.

Tress

Tress

So, what happens if they give you the option of forfieture, and you just say no?
They do everything they can to bury you in court, most likely using fabricated evidence and false testimony, and take your stuff anyway.

Covar

Covar

Your best bet is to tell them no when they want to search your car in the first place.
Always the best response.[DOUBLEPOST=1376502320,1376502286][/DOUBLEPOST]
They do everything they can to bury you in court, most likely using fabricated evidence and false testimony, and take your stuff anyway.
Channeling LeQuack there much?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You have no option. If you say no they take it anyway.

I always do this. On the rare occasion that I have to drive through Georgia, I -always- get stopped by highway patrol. I assume it's for my Florida plates. They always give the same song and dance, about how they need to search the car, and if I say no then they'll call out police dogs to find probable cause, or call for backup, or blah blah blah. I always say whatever they have to do, they're not searching my car, and then I'm on my way.

Tress

Tress

Channeling LeQuack there much?
I wasn't talking about the police in general, I was talking about the particular department mentioned in the story. But if you want to defend their glorious and noble mission to rob random people of their valuables, be my guest.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Honestly, I live in Texas and I have never heard of this. This could be because I am white and have enough money to fight it though.
I've heard of it through friends that travel through LA, and when the owner of the Pappas restaurant chain had several thousand dollars taken from him when driving through LA. That dang sure hit the news.

Necronic

Necronic

Huh, I always assumed that saying no to a search WAS probably cause.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well, you will be better protected in the long-run. It may cost you an hour on the side of the road, waiting for a JP to pass out a warrant to search.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

As far as I know, no. They might tell you that (I don't think there's a law against cops lying to you as long as they aren't flat out misinforming you of your rights) but you still have the full right to refuse a search without a warrant. The times it's happened to me, I've heard all kinds of threats about how bad it will be and how much of my time it will take if I refuse a search, but none of them have ever come to pass. Once they realize I'm not saying yes, they're done with me.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well, you will be better protected in the long-run. It may cost you an hour on the side of the road, waiting for a JP to pass out a warrant to search.
also if it is a dirty cop, by time they call into HQ to wake up a JP, other units will arrive. Even dirty cops have a hard time harassing you if there are other cops there.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Fuck the Police.

streamers fall from ceiling, banner unfurls "CONGRATS ON 100 FUCK THE POLICES"

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

come on now, I haven't even made 10,000 total posts

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

You do occasionally double up.

Necronic

Necronic

Also people quote you. Not sure if that counts.

evilmike

evilmike

I wonder if a minimum would help. No civil seizure for amounts totaling less than $200,000. Honestly if a criminal enterprise isn't generating hundreds of thousands of dollars, it's not worth much law enforcement time, and those people with that much in assets would likely have at least the knowledge and ability to fight back.

Seizure of smaller amounts could still occur, but only through criminal court proceedings, not civil, and the burden of proof would be on the police that the smaller seizures are valid.
That wouldn't have stopped them from going after the Motel Caswell. The government tried to seize the motel because a limited number of drug arrests had been made there over the last 15 years. There was never any connection to the business itself and the owner had taken steps to work with the police to keep crime in the area down. Fortunately, a judge put a stop to the seizure, but only after a 4 year legal battle. (via BBJ)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Now I know how @Thread Necromancer must feel.

This (admittedly inflammatory) video has been making the rounds lately.

I know there's that whole "State Sovereignty" thing, but it seems like this is the sort of thing that would get automatically caught and swatted rather than needing a hue and cry to get noticed. I mean, when someone suddenly shows up to work with a lot of new, expensive things, questions get asked. If a city/county/whatever suddenly starts throwing around a lot of cash, you'd think it would raise the eyebrows of people further up the chain.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

"Bag a fag." How quaint.

Dave

Dave

"Bag a fag." How quaint.
What did I miss?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Bottom end of the article where police used a city ordinance that declared public displays of homosexuality to be a nuisance allowing officer's to seize the property of men who looked at them funny.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Huh. I learn more and more about my fellow forumites every day.

I can't recall the last time I've told someone that I'd drop the charges on them if they signed over their cash and belongings.

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T FUCKING HAPPEN WITH ME.

This might, MIGHT be some DA-level shit, but I have not heard of anything of it's like happening around me. Now, admittedly, I am not the most OBSERVANT individual out there (cue some astute Halforumer producing a half-dozen example of civil forfeiture following police activity in Chatham County, GA).

I'm not going to sit here and say it doesn't happen, because obviously it does. But I dare any one of you to point your fingers at me and suggest that I would impugn my honor with something like that.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Huh. I learn more and more about my fellow forumites every day.

I can't recall the last time I've told someone that I'd drop the charges on them if they signed over their cash and belongings.

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T FUCKING HAPPEN WITH ME.

This might, MIGHT be some DA-level shit, but I have not heard of anything of it's like happening around me. Now, admittedly, I am not the most OBSERVANT individual out there (cue some astute Halforumer producing a half-dozen example of civil forfeiture following police activity in Chatham County, GA).

I'm not going to sit here and say it doesn't happen, because obviously it does. But I dare any one of you to point your fingers at me and suggest that I would impugn my honor with something like that.
I don't think anyone would. I can't speak for Necronic, but I assume he only posted your name because he was curious what your take on it was. Also, this thread is a year old.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

... So it is..... I need to stop late-night Halforuming.

Krisken

Krisken

... So it is..... I need to stop late-night Halforuming.
Heh, I think these threads might be a little too personal for you man. You're raising to bait you normally wouldn't.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Heh, I think these threads might be a little too personal for you man. You're raising to bait you normally wouldn't.
Well, it's impossible for him to take it otherwise when the title calls him out by name. Even Charlie hasn't done that.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Isn't this like the first thing they teach you when you become an officer or (in my case) YC?

"Don't take stuff from the offenders, and don't play favorites. You will get burned in the end."

Necronic

Necronic

Police response times in this forum are freaking terrible

Espy

Espy

Police response times in this forum are freaking terrible
Oh my god I laughed so hard.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh my god I laughed so hard.
Likewise. I'm still laughing. That was really fucking funny.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I suspect that OC might not be allowed to respond, due to department regs or such.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I suspect that OC might not be allowed to respond, due to department regs or such.
No, it took him a year to respond.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Null

Null

No, it took him a year to respond.
What is this forum, Virtual Detroit?

Frank

Frank

Couldn't agree with him more. Lookin' at you BC.

Jay

Jay

Jeez

PatrThom

PatrThom

Still in the public eye:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/u...which-assets-to-seize.html?smid=re-share&_r=0
(Felt this was the better place rather than the "Never satisfy gas beating etc" thread)

--Patrick

Terrik

Terrik

Still don't understand why this is a thing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Still don't understand why this is a thing.
Because governments will take whatever the people don't actively stop them from taking, and feel justified in doing so.

Terrik

Terrik

Because governments will take whatever the people don't actively stop them from taking, and feel justified in doing so.
What bugs me more is the police officers that are actively encouraging it. Is that the kind of country they want to live in? Is it the "I'm part of the power structure so it won't harm me" mentality showing up here, or what?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's really hilariously awful that we have separate megathreads for the Police physically beating and then also outright stealing.

Terrik

Terrik

It's really hilariously awful that we have separate megathreads for the Police physically beating and then also outright stealing.

I have to agree. I have no real desire to be antagonistic towards police, police departments or law enforcement in general. Actually, I generally support them. However abuse of power by an entity like this which carries the ability to ruin your life or outright end it is a scary thing. Thankfully, in the grand scheme of things, this kind of stuff is happening on a limited scale---but it is happening. And it shouldn't.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

And also, let me be clear: I support police officers, lowercase, collective noun. Fuck the Police, uppercase, the entity.

and I am also a fan of The Police, both words of the proper noun capitalized.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Civil Forfeiture should not be a thing. I'm pretty sure this is part of what the founding fathers were thinking of when they said "unreasonable search AND SEIZURE." As in, the government just taking your shit.

I don't care how many "drug dealers it helps take down." This is explicitly the kind of shit we started throwing tea in harbors over. Better 100 guilty go free than one innocent etc etc.

Anyone who participates in the practice should be drawn and quartered on the national mall.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's not often that I say this, (I think this might be the first time ever) but good for Eric Holder.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...7ca058-99d4-11e4-bcfb-059ec7a93ddc_story.html

The gravy train is starting to come to a halt.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yay! Arizona passed a law making it illegal for State and local authorities to seize money from people without due process.
Boo, it doesn't affect federal agencies like the DEA.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't know if they'll ever change that with the DEA.

But one state is a start.

Frank

Frank

According to the DEA, while it's not illegal to be black and have money, it's illegal for money to be in the hands of someone who is black. You see, it's not the person who's guilty, but the money.

http://www.abqjournal.com/580107/news/dea-agents-seize-16000-from-aspiring-music-video-producer.html

Civil forfeiture is such a vile practice.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

About 100 motorcycles from the crime scene were seized through civil forfeiture law and will likely be auctioned off by the county, regardless of whether their owners are bailed or convicted.
Anyone willing to buy a second hand Bandidos bike?

Dave

Dave

If I could I'd buy it and find out whose it was, then give it back to him. Can you imagine having that resource in your back pocket?

"Oh? You want to keep letting your dog shit in my yard? Let me call my friend, T-Bone and we'll see what happens next."

PatrThom

PatrThom

This one has been making the rounds lately, too: IRS Seizes $107,000 From Man’s Bank Account
The federal agents...showed McLellan paperwork that included deposits to the store’s account at Lumbee Guaranty Bank. The statements showed two deposits made within a 24-hour period totaling $11,400. The statements, they said, indicated he had a history of consistent cash deposits of less than $10,000, which is illegal. Then, the agents told the small business owner [that] The Internal Revenue Service had seized all of the money in L&M’s bank account: $107,702.66.
Months after seizing McLellan’s money, the federal government offered him 50 percent of his money back if he agreed to a settlement deal by March 30.
Well, that's mighty generous of them. Fortunately this story had a somewhat happy ending, where the case was dismissed...just three days after the above story was published.

Hrmm.....

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Totally a coincidence, I'm sure.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Law preventing property seizures cutting into police budgets
New Mexico law enforcement agencies say a new state law that prevents authorities from seizing assets from people unless they are convicted of a crime will devastate their budgets.
Boo-
-fucking*-
-Hoo.

EDIT: Read the story to Kati, her comment? "If the Republicans want to cut back on crime in their state, they might want to fork over some money to their local constabulary. This might mean having to institute/raise taxes. I know that's a dirty word there, but that is what they're for."

--Patrick
*I don't swear often. By choice. I felt this time it was appropriate.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This is entirely the police's fault: for years they have used projected civil forfeiture proceeds to adjust their budgets and now that they can't afford the latest training and gear. If they want to keep their toys, they'll need to get a tax levy like everyone else... oh who am I kidding, they're just gonna shift more guys to traffic enforcement instead.

This isn't going to stop until the police lose their ability to issue fines (that they get a cut of) completely. Then again, it's almost a sure bet that they'll just shift back to shakedowns again. Wasn't it a former NYPD chief that lamented that he'd be a millionaire if it wasn't for guys like Frank Serpico exposing their grift?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Police getting a cut of the fines they write is a horrible thing only around in countries known for their corrupt administration, police states, and the USA. Much as I'd like more cops around here giving out fines for little crap occasionally (the amount of dangerous driving on Belgian roads is beyond help), it's a horrible faux solution.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Police getting a cut of the fines they write is a horrible thing only around in countries known for their corrupt administration, police states, and the USA. Much as I'd like more cops around here giving out fines for little crap occasionally (the amount of dangerous driving on Belgian roads is beyond help), it's a horrible faux solution.
The issue isn't even that they can write fines. The issue is they get a cut of it. This incentivizes them to write as many fines as they can for profit. I have no problem with the police writing fines for drunk driving or just generally improper vehicle behavior, but those fines should be going towards road and bridge maintenance.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

If The Dukes of Hazzard taught me anything, it was how to jump a creak. Wait, I mean it was that the fines go to the county, and the corrupt sheriff gets 50% of 50%.

Also, that the Confederate flag stands for moonshine and bootlegging. And thus, NASCAR.

MisterSteve

MisterSteve

It's common practice in every state. So common, in fact, that many countries post travel warnings to vacationing citizens headed for the US, basically warning them of the practice. Anything over $100 is grounds for civil asset forfeiture in most areas. John Stossel - Policing For Profit

Obviously, the legal costs to recover the funds are generally higher than the amount seized, making it a pointless effort in futility.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

https://boingboing.net/2015/12/27/doj-shuts-down-asset-forfeitur.html?fk_bb

DoJ shuts down asset forfeiture program after Congress slashes its budget
States have been trying to curb this practice, changing state law so that law enforcement agencies wouldn't get to keep the stuff their seized. But the DoJ wouldn't play along, meaning that cops could still keep stuff by confiscating it under federal, not state law.

Attempts to get the DoJ to play along have proved fruitless. After all, the DoJ got to split the take with local law-enforcement.. So in last week's budget bill, Congress took $1.2 billion away from the DoJ, money that they used to administer the program. Without that subsidy, the program became a money-loser. It is dead.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Slashing the federal budget, ending government theft, what's not to like?

Dave

Dave

Holy shit Congress did something right? Is this accidental?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Holy shit Congress did something right? Is this accidental?
Broken clocks and blind pigs, etc.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I just find it more surprising that they don't just increase the amount of seizures to make up for the shortfall.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I just find it more surprising that they don't just increase the amount of seizures to make up for the shortfall.

--Patrick
The article mentioned that many states have more restrictive seizure rules than the fed, so in those states, cops push seizures through the federal system. This is because the fed would give 80% of the money back to the state. Slashing the federal seizure budget means that they can't afford to give money back to the state, so there's no reason to push seizures through the fed program any longer. Increasing fed seizures would just mean more work for state cops with no payoff.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

An agency I once worked for confiscated $10 million in one drug bust. I guess all that cash will just sit in an evidence lockup from now on.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

... and we're about to find out exactly which precincts have proper funding and which do not, not to mention the market value of all that excess military equipment they can no longer afford to main and use. Expect to see a huge uptick in grift as older officers no longer have a huge pool of money to mismanage all the way into their bank accounts and they start getting involved in organized crime (again).

Frank

Frank

You'd probably see less of that if you guys actually paid your civil servants enough to live in the cities they work in (not excusing them, I find it disgusting).

It shocks me that I make more money (even after exchange) than most NYC police and I don't live in NYC.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

It shocks me that I make more money (even after exchange) than most NYC police and I don't live in NYC.
That is crazy.

Bubble181

Bubble181

... and we're about to find out exactly which precincts have proper funding and which do not, not to mention the market value of all that excess military equipment they can no longer afford to main and use. Expect to see a huge uptick in grift as older officers no longer have a huge pool of money to mismanage all the way into their bank accounts and they start getting involved in organized crime (again).
There are better ways of dealing with corrupt or greedy police officers and politicians than "just give them enough of our money so they don't need to take bribes". Pay them enough for an, often dangerous, hard job, of course; supply them with materiel they need, clearly. Giving them left-overs from the army and access to an all-you-can-take buffet of criminals' property and so on is bonkers.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There are better ways of dealing with corrupt or greedy police officers and politicians than "just give them enough of our money so they don't need to take bribes". Pay them enough for an, often dangerous, hard job, of course; supply them with materiel they need, clearly. Giving them left-overs from the army and access to an all-you-can-take buffet of criminals' property and so on is bonkers.
You seem to be under the impression that I think it's bad they are losing all that funding. No, it's good because now we won't have full teams of fucking storm troopers marching down the streets to tear gas their neighbors all the fucking time because they just can't afford to. My point was that now we're going to see which departments have appropriate management and which ones had ones skimming off the top of that civil forfeiture money... but really, there is no "fair" amount of money we could pay these people to keep them out of grift. It's a crime of access and opportunity, cops get involved because it's easy and easy to get away with. Maybe it'll be a bit easier to track with body cameras but I'm exactly hopeful.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I didn't and don't think you think so. It's not because I continue on from something you said, that I disagree with it.

There is a fair amount of money we can pay to keep good cops out of grift: a living wage. Abuse of power, be it police, military, clergy, village notable, parent, or whatever, by someone in power and authority, "because they can get away with it" is one of the best ways to get me mad in a hurry. I don't care what bad excuses they come up with, a police officer accepting a bribe is almost at the same level of "betraying trust placed" as a priest abusing a choirboy. No sympathy at all.

(plenty of sympathy for good cops having to deal with bad situations and overworked underpaid people making mistakes and all that.)

evilmike

evilmike

The North Carolina Supreme Court has issues as ruling in Kirby v. North Carolina Dep't of Transportation. The issue was over "The Map Act" which allowed the government to designate private land for future highway use and block any development of that land. The court found that "[t]hese restraints, coupled with their indefinite nature, constitute a taking of plaintiffs’ elemental property rights by eminent domain." The insidious aspect of this law, if it had stood, was to allow the government to devalue the land before purchase. This is not speculation since "the DOT's counsel conceded that one of the express purposes of the Act was to keep the eventual acquisition price of the designated properties low." (inversecondemnation)

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'd like to know how that act stood in the first place.
Doesn't matter whether you intend to take it now or later, taking is still taking.

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

It's just government regulated "dibs!"

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Going into law in Virginia July 1:
http://media.nbcwashington.com/documents/idc16.pdf

SB 457. Asset forfeiture; burden of proof. The law changesthe Commonwealth’s burden of
proof from preponderance of the evidence to clear and convincing evidence in determining that property is subject to forfeiture in civil asset forfeiture cases

Not perfect, but better.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm all for rule changes that bring laws closer to making sense.
When a police department or legislature is revealed as being corrupt, you don't see folks come in and sell off the courthouse furnishings and department vehicles for being associated with a crime.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

That seems good. I don't have a problem with civil forfeiture as long as the burden of proof rests with taking the asset.

evilmike

evilmike

Interesting case in the Red River area in Texas:

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management has laid claim to up to 90,000 acres of private property in Texas. The boundary between Oklahoma and Texas in this region was defined in 1923 by the Supreme Court using the position of the Red River, with Texas territory ending at the average water level on the Southern bank and Oklahoma territory beginning at the medial line of the river. The "thin strip of sand" between the two boundaries was considered federal land. The BLM contends that even though the river has changed position since 1923, the Texas boundary did not move with it. They appear to believe that the Oklahoma boarder is set by the current position of the river. Seven landowners have brought suit against the government claiming that there is no precedent for this interpretation of the boundary (which the BLM did not adopt until 2008.) (Law360, TribTalk)

Dave

Dave

Rivers change all the time. This is bullshit. I hope the land owners win based on this slight information.

And did anyone else have to stop and think for a second about why the Black Lives Matter interest group had anything to do with this?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Rivers change all the time. This is bullshit. I hope the land owners win based on this slight information.

And did anyone else have to stop and think for a second about why the Black Lives Matter interest group had anything to do with this?
Unfortunately I did not, because Imgur's been hee-hawing about "BLM? What's wrong with the bureau of land management" jokes for the past week.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

No with the Bundy stand offs, I think Bureau of Land Management when there is rioting.

Dei

Dei

Frank

Frank

Blech.

BLECH.

PatrThom

PatrThom

"Favors"

--Patrick

Necronic

Necronic

I mean is anyone actually surprised that Trump is pro civil forfeiture?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I mean is anyone actually surprised that Trump is pro civil forfeiture?
I doubt Trump even knows what civil forfeiture is.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It ain't his stuff. That's all he cares about.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/6/14830278/civil-forfeiture-supreme-court

Right now, the police can legally take your stuff even if you haven’t committed a crime — through what’s widely known as “civil asset forfeiture.”
On Monday, the conservative Justice Clarence Thomas made it clear he is very skeptical that this practice is constitutional. While he ultimately denied a petition that would bring a case about civil forfeiture to the Court, he did so on a technicality — adding that modern civil forfeiture practices are very questionable.

evilmike

evilmike

Interesting ruling from the Supreme Court striking down Colorado's practice of keeping court costs and fines taken from defendants who have their guilty verdicts overturned:

“Colorado may not presume a person, adjudged guilty of no crime, nonetheless guilty enough for monetary exactions,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote for the majority. (New York Times)

blotsfan

blotsfan

Seems like pretty clearly the right call.

Frank

Frank

How the fuck do you vote against that?

I'm asking you, Clarence Thomas.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think he's secretly in contact with Scalia's ghost or some shit.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Or else he's being manipulated by a so-called medium with her own agendum who's stringing him along, like he's the subject of some 20's-era comedy hijinks.

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

Ya but Alito voted for the overturning (was on the "correct" side according to all of us) as well, and he's generally been portrayed as mini-Scalia, so that isn't it either.

That original law is just insanity.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Something, something, small government!

evilmike

evilmike

Good news from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court:

In a unanimous, 73-page opinion, the court found that although authorities have the right to seize property used in illegal enterprises, they must prove that the owner not only was aware of the illegal activity but also had agreed to it. The court also found that property seizures may breach the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition against excessive fines if the seizure is “grossly disproportional” to the underlying offense.​

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes, keep it up, let's see more people wake up to the idea.

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

It's Baaaaaaaaaacccckkkk!!!!!

Time: Jeff Sessions Wants Cops to Seize More Money From Suspected Criminals
Canadian Reporting on it: US restoring asset seizures - with safeguards

F'n hell. I think the "safeguards" are a load of crap. This whole thing is a load of crap. Seize evidence at time of arrest. It's evidence until conviction. If the charges are dropped (or never filed within 48 hours, or whatever the requirement is), anything not by definition illegal (ie: drugs are still confiscated) is returned. FULL STOP.

If you read comments below articles on various sites, there is nobody that wants this, no matter how right or left-wing. This is apparently cops-only that want their funding, or something.

Any efforts to get this thing ENTIRELY thrown out via SCOTUS or something? This seems like a very open-and-shut good case for the constitutional literalists to get a win that the public LIKES.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Jeff Sessions is the worst thing trump has done to America.

Krisken

Krisken

Jeff Sessions is the worst thing trump has done to America.
I dunno, there is a lot of competition.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It won't stop until there is a law at the federal level banning it.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It won't stop until there is a law at the federal level banning it.

--Patrick
The latest DOJ announcement lets police overrule state laws banning the practice.

I think we have teh Donald's plan for paying off his debts to the Russian banks.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You knew this was going to happen, and you still voted to confirm him, asshole.

Eriol

Eriol

You knew this was going to happen, and you still voted to confirm him, asshole.
I'm not doubting your statement, I'm just curious where Sessions had said he was going to do this prior to getting confirmed. Was it part of the confirmation hearings? There's a lot of "noise" out there right now, so if you can throw me a link, that'd be awesome.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I'm not doubting your statement, I'm just curious where Sessions had said he was going to do this prior to getting confirmed. Was it part of the confirmation hearings? There's a lot of "noise" out there right now, so if you can throw me a link, that'd be awesome.
Here's one at random from a fairly large pool: Jeff Sessions Loves Asset Forfeiture. Will Congress Grill Him at His Confirmation Hearing?

If you want more, what I did was use Google News, with search dates of 1/1/2015-3/1/2016 and the search term "Jeff Sessions Asset Forfeiture".

Eriol

Eriol

Here's one at random from a fairly large pool: Jeff Sessions Loves Asset Forfeiture. Will Congress Grill Him at His Confirmation Hearing?

If you want more, what I did was use Google News, with search dates of 1/1/2015-3/1/2016 and the search term "Jeff Sessions Asset Forfeiture".
Good enough for me. Thanks man.

Then ya, @DarkAudit I'm totally with you on this. WTF was Rand Paul thinking voting for the guy?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Good enough for me. Thanks man.

Then ya, @DarkAudit I'm totally with you on this. WTF was Rand Paul thinking voting for the guy?
It's the same tactic John McCain uses. Spout off to the press about the administration, but then vote straight party line anyway.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's the same tactic John McCain uses. Spout off to the press about the administration, but then vote straight party line anyway.
In other words, run out and bark a lot but still come back to the same teat where you've always suckled.

--Patrick

Denbrought

Denbrought

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You don't even need to be accused of a crime for them to take your stuff now. Police planned to sell crime victim's car at auction instead of returning it.

Eriol

Eriol

You don't even need to be accused of a crime for them to take your stuff now. Police planned to sell crime victim's car at auction instead of returning it.
They even violated their own written policies on this one. Yikes.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

They even violated their own written policies on this one. Yikes.
It was a Crown Vic. Maybe they wanted it for themselves.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's Philadelphia. The only place more corrupt in the US that I can think of would be Chicago. It doesn't surprise me at all that they violated their own already-unacceptable policies. Why any sane person lives there, I'll never understand.

Tress

Tress

It's Philadelphia. The only place more corrupt in the US that I can think of would be Chicago. It doesn't surprise me at all that they violated their own already-unacceptable policies. Why any sane person lives there, I'll never understand.
...except for the fact that it's actually Colorado.

GasBandit

GasBandit

...except for the fact that it's actually Colorado.
Ah, I thought the link was about the same story as the tweet.

Tress

Tress

Ah, I thought the link was about the same story as the tweet.
You should read the linked story. It's even more amazingly stupid than the tweet.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You should read the linked story. It's even more amazingly stupid than the tweet.
Sadly, having experienced Colorado bureaucracy, I don't find that beyond credulity either. There's a lot of authority figures who think a WHOLE lot of themselves.

Dave

Dave

Police: We sent her a letter telling her that her car could be picked up. She didn't do it so we charged fees until the only way to recoup those fees was to sell it.
News Reporter: Why was the letter dated on the day that we contacted you and not the date you said it was sent?
Police: Uh...reasons.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

It's not just that stupid. Even if they had sent that letter when tbey said they did, they gave her at most 3 days to respond before adding the car to their auction.

And what the fuck are they even doing impounding the car? Shit, they ought to be returning the car to her door.

PatrThom

PatrThom

what the fuck are they even doing impounding the car? Shit, they ought to be returning the car to her door.
They thought maybe it was a victim of Studebaker Syndrome. You know, like Patty Hearse.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

“In what is surely unrelated news, citations for civil infractions are expected to more than triple*”

—Patrick
*This doesn’t actually appear anywhere in the article, but I’d be curious to see if anyone will keep track just to see if anything like this actually happens.

@Li3n

@Li3n

PatrThom

PatrThom

But i thought they whre already only keping it after thhey proved the money was guilty...
No, they were keeping it after the defendant failed to prove it was innocent. There’s a difference. A BIG one.

—Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

No, they were keeping it after the defendant failed to prove it was innocent. There’s a difference. A BIG one.

—Patrick
That's not supposed to be true though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._$124,700_in_U.S._Currency#Dissenting_opinion

But any way, the idea of suing property is is stupid, and that's what i was getting at...

PatrThom

PatrThom

the idea of suing property is is stupid, and that's what i was getting at...
I agree wholeheartedly, but they may need to be careful, because if they enter a precedent that property may not be held guilty/innocent as regards any crime, then they will also no longer be able to make the claim that guns are intrinsically “evil...”

—Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

I agree wholeheartedly, but they may need to be careful, because if they enter a precedent that property may not be held guilty/innocent as regards any crime, then they will also no longer be able to make the claim that guns are intrinsically “evil...”

—Patrick
I don't think anyone tried to sue guns yet... so i think we're fine.

Eriol

Eriol

I don't think anyone tried to sue guns yet... so i think we're fine.
Given the number of "odd" things that have been before courts, I don't think it's ridiculous to think that may happen.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Good news from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court:

In a unanimous, 73-page opinion, the court found that although authorities have the right to seize property used in illegal enterprises, they must prove that the owner not only was aware of the illegal activity but also had agreed to it. The court also found that property seizures may breach the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition against excessive fines if the seizure is “grossly disproportional” to the underlying offense.​
The SCOTUS has now UNANIMOUSLY affirmed that 8th Amendment protections are not limited solely to federal actions, they also apply to States under the 14th Amendment's Due Process Clause.
State (and also presumably city) governments which indiscriminately vacuum up assets wholesale may now be opening themselves up to the possibility of being sued under the 8th Amendment if their seizure is shown to be "unreasonable."

--Patrick

Krisken

Krisken

UNANIMOUS. I feel like that should be pointed out.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Also nice of Roberts to assign this opinion to RBG, since it's likely to be a very important/lasting case to have in your legacy.

On the not so bright side, Thomas' (per his concurrence) would've limited this protection to U.S. citizens. Weirdo gonna weird, as usual.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Done.

--Patrick

Krisken

Krisken

Also nice of Roberts to assign this opinion to RBG, since it's likely to be a very important/lasting case to have in your legacy.

On the not so bright side, Thomas' (per his concurrence) would've limited this protection to U.S. citizens. Weirdo gonna weird, as usual.
Did the weird alien on the court write something about that?

Krisken

Krisken

Oh please, Den, like you haven't considered Thomas might be an alien invader from outer space.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Oh please, Den, like you haven't considered Thomas might be an alien invader from outer space.
Oh, yes. I was thinking you were talking about a different justice, since I was already specifically mentioning him.

His opinions on jurisprudence truly are out of this world.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Crossposted from @Krisken 's post in the political thread:

Nathan also links to this site which has recent grades for each state on their forfeiture policies.
Spoiler alert: If you live anywhere other than NM you might want to think twice before carrying large sums of cash on your person.

--Patrick

Krisken

Krisken

The real reason to not carry large amounts of cash isn't threat of robbers, but threat of police.

PatrThom

PatrThom

(Link to threadreader unfURL of entire thread here)

I always thought that CAF was something done mainly to confiscate large sums or big-ticket items, didn't realize it was also used to treat poor people like wandering ATM NPCs.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Good.

--Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I can’t believe that this can happen. I also am somewhat shocked that someone would travel with that much cash, but that shouldn’t allow this to happen.

I’m glad he got his money back. I fear that his is a rare win.

figmentPez

figmentPez

At least somewhat related:

Cops destroy stolen goods rather than have to go through the difficulty of returning it to the owners, or account for anything valuable.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah they got lucky. That got REAL lucky.
That power bank is obviously very durable.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

REDACTED. @Krisken posted the same thing further up the page. It's just trending again. (Cops taking more of your stuff than burglars did.)

Krisken

Krisken

REDACTED. @Krisken posted the same thing further up the page. It's just trending again. (Cops taking more of your stuff than burglars did.)
The reminder doesn't hurt. :)

Krisken

Krisken

This is why it is trending again.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Boston Police Bought Spy Tech With a Pot of Money Hidden From the Public

They used the money from civil forfeiture to buy a "stingray" celltower spoofing device. This was largely hidden from the public because the city council has no control over how seized money is used, it is not considered part of the police budget, but they still get to spend it as they please.

GasBandit

GasBandit

In case you guys were wondering, the cops are still stealing more things from citizens than criminals are... unless you count wage theft

figmentPez

figmentPez

Sex Crime Victim Denied $69,000 Settlement Because Cops Seized Her Abuser's Cash Through Civil Forfeiture

A man abused a 5 year-old girl, who is now a teenager, and eventually pled guilty to multiple sex crimes. The victim won a civil lawsuit against him, but hasn't seen a dime of the money because police seized the money, and the government won't give it to her.