Choose That Hobby!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a heart for my first pixel art, but still tweaking with the program! Hope to post my pathetic attempt soon! :D

M

makare

Hearts are tough. But when you get them yay! and i remember when i pixeled my first ball.. those were the days.

there's the ball

and the heart

after that i started animating those bouncy things like i showed you. It's a fun hobby.

C

chakz

Archery.
Swordfighting.
Bowling.

What? Don't look at me like that. I tried bowling for the first time in my life last weekend (big sis's Big 4-0, don't ask) - and I didn't suck as badly as I had feared.
Speaking of sword fighting. How accurate is kingdom of heaven?

figmentPez

Staff member
For a long time I've considered putting a stained glass window in the side of my PC. I don't have a lot of spare energy for hobbies, though. Especially not ones that require well ventilated areas.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Archery.
Swordfighting.
Bowling.

What? Don't look at me like that. I tried bowling for the first time in my life last weekend (big sis's Big 4-0, don't ask) - and I didn't suck as badly as I had feared.
Speaking of sword fighting. How accurate is kingdom of heaven?[/QUOTE]

Funny you should ask. Our Medieval swordmanship group actually went to see that movie together: twenty-or-so big, bearded guys (some with suspenders) and not-so-big, beardless and some quite smokin' ladies, all wanting to see some bang for their buck.

I think the general conclusion was that the swordfighting was better than in most Hollywood movies, but there was still a measure of showing off. I'll have to see the movie again, though... it's been years.

Plus, the big, funnily speaking blonde guy who gets wasted with an arrow through the neck: He's a Finn.

M

makare

Funny you should ask. Our Medieval swordmanship group actually went to see that movie together: twenty-or-so big, bearded guys (some with suspenders) and not-so-big, beardless and some quite smokin' ladies, all wanting to see some bang for their buck.

I think the general conclusion was that the swordfighting was better than in most Hollywood movies, but there was still a measure of showing off. I'll have to see the movie again, though... it's been years.

Plus, the big, funnily speaking blonde guy who gets wasted with an arrow through the neck: He's a Finn.
I love the fact that there is a medieval swordsmanship group and that you belong to it. I think it makes the world a better place. :)

North_Ranger

Staff member

I love the fact that there is a medieval swordsmanship group and that you belong to it. I think it makes the world a better place. :)[/QUOTE]

Well, I haven't found the time to practice in the last year. But I intend to begin training again once I get my thesis done. My poor little Violet needs some tender lovin' care.

Oh, and Violet... she's my two-handed broadsword.

And now I realized I should have just called her a two-hander.

M

makare

You are a very interesting man. North Ranger a man of scholarship and swordplay.

North_Ranger

Staff member
You are a very interesting man. North Ranger a man of scholarship and swordplay.
Thank you. I just love the feel of handling a longsword. I have considered taking up Medieval archery as well, but there's not that many places where one could practice in peace - or at least without worrying about strays skewering some schmuck.

M

makare

Archery sounds really fun. I have enjoyed it every time I had an opportunity to try it. I am probably not much for a sword because I am a pansy. I am more of a distance projectile weapon girl.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Archery sounds really fun. I have enjoyed it every time I had an opportunity to try it. I am probably not much for a sword because I am a pansy. I am more of a distance projectile weapon girl.
Pansy? Surely not... I mean, we've had 13-14-year-old girls who weigh fifty pounds soaking wet with bricks in their pockets in our group. And they gun' cut ya!

North_Ranger

Staff member
I just love the feel of handling a longsword
:bolt:[/QUOTE]

When you take a single step forward, moving the blade from posta donna ('the Lady's position') to posta zingale ('the Boar Fang position'), or feel the blade swing by in a mulinello ('windmill') strike and imagine it cutting flesh and bone like wet cloth... you tend to get a nice adrenaline rush. Especially if you execute the move perfectly.

M

makare

Aw...

In Romeo and Juliet, Tybalt is referred to as the Prince of Cats because he is so skilled and agile with his sword.

I love Tybalt.

"What, art thou drawn among these heartless hinds?
Turn thee, Benvolio, look upon thy death."

"What, drawn, and talk of peace!? I hate the word,
As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee"

*woohoo*

North_Ranger

Staff member
I doubt Tybalt used a two-hander... :p

Granted, the fighting style we use is the one taught by Master Fiore, a 15th-century Italian swordfighting teacher.

M

makare

So would a, ahem, two-hander be a slashing weapon or a bludgeoning weapon?

North_Ranger

Staff member
Slashing. And I use the term 'two-hander' because of the unfortunate implications associated with the word 'broadsword' - especially since I call my own blade Violet.

Surprising fact: at roughly 6lbs. our two-handers are actually heavier than a real sword would have been. Since we don't sharpen our blades, there's more metal in the blade than in a real, sharpened sword.

Oh, and mr_thehun... Google Guy Windsor or the School of European Swordmanship. The first is our 'guru', the one who started this hobby a few years back. The other is the organization under which we train.

T

TotalFusionOne

Burlesque Photography. Or MtG. Combine the two and make nerds across the world shit their pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.