Export thread

Choose That Hobby!!!

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Hey, guys! I'm looking for some kind of hobby to do in my downtime. I've mastered knitting and crocheting, as well as cross stitch. I'm looking for something else to do!

I would like to start quilting, but the start up costs SEEM expensive. I'm really good at doodling AND learning from the internet.

What say you, halforum?

Chippy

Chippy

Ghost bustin'.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

hedonist
epicure
cook

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Cooking is O.K., but I don't like doing it every day. But when I find a new recipe I am dying to try, it becomes fun again!

But not feeling too inspired to really dive further into cooking.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

homebrewing alcoholic beverages
fighting
chess
go

Cajungal

Cajungal

Learn the ukulele!!! ^_^

Draw your own adventure comics!

Make homemade greeting cards for friends and family!

I've done all of these, and they're all super fun. And you can find a decent enough ukulele for under 100$. ;D

makare

do you like cute things? pixel art is fun.. and inane.

the whole thing is excruciatingly girly but i Like it.

I had a site but it is down.

here is a big site. http://hushstar.net/lou/

Chazwozel

Hey, guys! I'm looking for some kind of hobby to do in my downtime. I've mastered knitting and crocheting, as well as cross stitch. I'm looking for something else to do!

I would like to start quilting, but the start up costs SEEM expensive. I'm really good at doodling AND learning from the internet.

What say you, halforum?
Masturbation. It can be free. It can be as expensive and outlandish as your little heart desires.

I hear naked skydiving while masturbating is a blast.

ThatNickGuy

Comics!

Yoga!

Cajungal

Cajungal

I actually second the yoga. I envy people who can do it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Quiltings not really that expensive. You can easily combine it with your internet skills and find nice deals on fat quarters and jelly rolls.

You could also try beading.

Or Scotch.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Archery.
Swordfighting.
Bowling.

What? Don't look at me like that. I tried bowling for the first time in my life last weekend (big sis's Big 4-0, don't ask) - and I didn't suck as badly as I had feared.

Lally

Quiltings not really that expensive. You can easily combine it with your internet skills and find nice deals on fat quarters and jelly rolls.

You could also try beading.

Or Scotch.
Agreed on both quilting and beading (and, well, Scotch too for that matter). My mom is teaching me how to quilt and I am already huge into beading. Quilting isn't as expensive as you would think, plus if you are good at it you can make some money on Etsy (beading too, for that matter, but I have found the market is more saturated, so I just do it for fun).

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

if you do take up beading, do not bring your boyfriend with you into the bead shop

Chazwozel

I hear being a hobo is fun. Riding from town to town in boxcars. Sleeping in train stations, libraries, and ally ways. Eating cans of beans.

Twitch

Somewhere right now Wallace Shawn is ears-deep in cleavage just giggling his head off... and I am at the bead shop.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Costumed Vigilante

Rubicon

Card games (Magic the Gathering)
Pen and Paper RPG's (AD&D)
etc

Dusty668

Juggling!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Keep a journal

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

I would keep a journal, but my life is really boring. I have TONS of journals/diaries I have started and only got two pages in.

I've been turning 8 bit sprites into patterns in MSpaint and paper to use in farmville... but I can only do so much.

Since I like tedious things, I like beading. Still have my whole set of beads! Lemme see what I can dig up!

Krisken

Krisken

Build a house! Paint a self portrait!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Lego.

Cajungal

Cajungal

My life's boring, too. But I like describing things I see every day and the weird, nonsequiter conversations I hear.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Harmonica

Genealogy

Sketch still life objects with charcoal

Listen to music backwards for hidden messages

Gusto

Gusto

Fight Club.

Cajungal

Cajungal

/thread

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Fight Club.
GASP! Soapmaking!!!!!!

Gusto

Gusto

PS. Everytime I see the thread title I think "WHO'S THAT POKEMON!?"

Ilovethisthreadsomuch.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Fight Club.
GASP! Soapmaking!!!!!![/QUOTE

:rofl:

Cuyval Dar

I tend to favor receiving buttsecks while skydiving over Mexico.

Rubicon

Why do I foresee a thread where we have a "Skydiving Susan" story soon..

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Ilovethisthreadsomuch.
IT'S PIKACHU

GODDAMNIT AAAAAAAAAAAARGH

ThatNickGuy

Whoa, hey now. Let's not bring Calleja's sex life into this.

makare

Besides, I won right... Right?!

I never win anything? :(

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

I made a heart for my first pixel art, but still tweaking with the program! Hope to post my pathetic attempt soon! :D

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Ilovethisthreadsomuch.
IT'S PIKACHU

it's koffing

GODDAMNIT AAAAAAAAAAAARGH[/QUOTE]

/

makare

Hearts are tough. But when you get them yay! and i remember when i pixeled my first ball.. those were the days.

there's the ball

and the heart

after that i started animating those bouncy things like i showed you. It's a fun hobby.

chakz

Archery.
Swordfighting.
Bowling.

What? Don't look at me like that. I tried bowling for the first time in my life last weekend (big sis's Big 4-0, don't ask) - and I didn't suck as badly as I had feared.
Speaking of sword fighting. How accurate is kingdom of heaven?

figmentPez

figmentPez

For a long time I've considered putting a stained glass window in the side of my PC. I don't have a lot of spare energy for hobbies, though. Especially not ones that require well ventilated areas.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Internet exhibitionist.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Archery.
Swordfighting.
Bowling.

Speaking of sword fighting. How accurate is kingdom of heaven?[/QUOTE]

Funny you should ask. Our Medieval swordmanship group actually went to see that movie together: twenty-or-so big, bearded guys (some with suspenders) and not-so-big, beardless and some quite smokin' ladies, all wanting to see some bang for their buck.

I think the general conclusion was that the swordfighting was better than in most Hollywood movies, but there was still a measure of showing off. I'll have to see the movie again, though... it's been years.

Plus, the big, funnily speaking blonde guy who gets wasted with an arrow through the neck: He's a Finn.

makare

Funny you should ask. Our Medieval swordmanship group actually went to see that movie together: twenty-or-so big, bearded guys (some with suspenders) and not-so-big, beardless and some quite smokin' ladies, all wanting to see some bang for their buck.

I think the general conclusion was that the swordfighting was better than in most Hollywood movies, but there was still a measure of showing off. I'll have to see the movie again, though... it's been years.

Plus, the big, funnily speaking blonde guy who gets wasted with an arrow through the neck: He's a Finn.
I love the fact that there is a medieval swordsmanship group and that you belong to it. I think it makes the world a better place. :)

Gusto

Gusto

A safer place.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I love the fact that there is a medieval swordsmanship group and that you belong to it. I think it makes the world a better place. :)[/QUOTE]

Well, I haven't found the time to practice in the last year. But I intend to begin training again once I get my thesis done. My poor little Violet needs some tender lovin' care.

Oh, and Violet... she's my two-handed broadsword.

And now I realized I should have just called her a two-hander.

makare

You are a very interesting man. North Ranger a man of scholarship and swordplay.

Gusto

Gusto

A true renaissance man.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You are a very interesting man. North Ranger a man of scholarship and swordplay.
Thank you. I just love the feel of handling a longsword. I have considered taking up Medieval archery as well, but there's not that many places where one could practice in peace - or at least without worrying about strays skewering some schmuck.

makare

Archery sounds really fun. I have enjoyed it every time I had an opportunity to try it. I am probably not much for a sword because I am a pansy. I am more of a distance projectile weapon girl.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Archery sounds really fun. I have enjoyed it every time I had an opportunity to try it. I am probably not much for a sword because I am a pansy. I am more of a distance projectile weapon girl.
Pansy? Surely not... I mean, we've had 13-14-year-old girls who weigh fifty pounds soaking wet with bricks in their pockets in our group. And they gun' cut ya!

Jake

Jake

I just love the feel of handling a longsword
:bolt:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I just love the feel of handling a longsword
:bolt:[/QUOTE]

When you take a single step forward, moving the blade from posta donna ('the Lady's position') to posta zingale ('the Boar Fang position'), or feel the blade swing by in a mulinello ('windmill') strike and imagine it cutting flesh and bone like wet cloth... you tend to get a nice adrenaline rush. Especially if you execute the move perfectly.

makare

North Ranger Prince of Cats?

English Lit humor for the win!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

The prince of what?!

makare

Aw...

In Romeo and Juliet, Tybalt is referred to as the Prince of Cats because he is so skilled and agile with his sword.

I love Tybalt.

"What, art thou drawn among these heartless hinds?
Turn thee, Benvolio, look upon thy death."

"What, drawn, and talk of peace!? I hate the word,
As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee"

*woohoo*

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I doubt Tybalt used a two-hander... :p

Granted, the fighting style we use is the one taught by Master Fiore, a 15th-century Italian swordfighting teacher.

makare

So would a, ahem, two-hander be a slashing weapon or a bludgeoning weapon?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Slashing. And I use the term 'two-hander' because of the unfortunate implications associated with the word 'broadsword' - especially since I call my own blade Violet.

Surprising fact: at roughly 6lbs. our two-handers are actually heavier than a real sword would have been. Since we don't sharpen our blades, there's more metal in the blade than in a real, sharpened sword.

Oh, and mr_thehun... Google Guy Windsor or the School of European Swordmanship. The first is our 'guru', the one who started this hobby a few years back. The other is the organization under which we train.

TotalFusionOne

Burlesque Photography. Or MtG. Combine the two and make nerds across the world shit their pants.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

thanks NR that's real cool. I hope, but doubt there is a club in Beijing.
Your doubt is well-placed. Though if memory serves there's a 'friendship school' or something in Singapore.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

If I had the body I would burlesque. I am in love with Dita Von Teese!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I second whoever said "juggling"

just start out with tissue paper at first to get the motions down and then you can move onto heavier objects

Baerdog

Baerdog

Soon enough you'll be able to work up to juggling chainsaws and cacti.

Cajungal

Cajungal

If I had the body I would burlesque. I am in love with Dita Von Teese!
I've seen pics of you, you totally could!!! Hell I'll go too, and I'm a chunkybutt. Where's a place in LA we could meet and burlesque it up?!

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

OMG! What would we call our act?

Cajungal

Cajungal

"I'll be in my bunk?"

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

But it's gotta be in French! You know, to sound fancy!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Mä oon mun punkassa...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

"je suis une jeune fille"

Cajungal

Cajungal

Someone translate "I'll be in my bunk" to French!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

J'irai sur mon lit

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Wheee!!!!!

Gusto

Gusto

Pics or etc.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I believe I am owed

Chippy

Chippy

'Le LETS DO SOME BURLESQUE

Dats da name.

Cajungal

Cajungal

:rofl:

TotalFusionOne

Je serai à ma couchette

Also: Burlesque isn't about what you look like, it's about how you feel. My ex and I did some freelance burlesque photography for army wives, and it went amazingly well. You'd be completely surprised how low of an image these people had of themselves, and how easy it was to show them with a camera how wrong they were.