[Movies] Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Bowielee

It's Bucky walking through the Capt. America exhibit, well really standing and staring. I personally think that he's trying to put his memories back to the "real" world.
I still say they should've switched that with the mid-credits scene. The mid-credits scene suited the story of the movie, while the end credits scene sets up future movies. After the mid-scene scene, it felt kind of anticlimactic.

I still say they should've switched that with the mid-credits scene. The mid-credits scene suited the story of the movie, while the end credits scene sets up future movies. After the mid-scene scene, it felt kind of anticlimactic.
Actually I thought the mid credit scene was it, so I left before the end.

I think we might see a new trend for the Marvel movies of two credit scenes, one that is specifically to set up later films in the universe and one that adds flavor or is just a joke.

Of all the stingers, Cap 2's was definitely the least important/entertaining.[DOUBLEPOST=1398045388,1398045331][/DOUBLEPOST]
For sure.

I actually prefer it this way. Rather than having to sit through the credits to get to the important stuff, you get the story important stuff more upfront. I mean, I like the little scenes at the end, but making people sit through the credits to make sure that they aren't behind for the next movie is kind of dumb. I'm fairly certain that's been a relatively common reaction, seeing as since the Avengers, that's what they've been doing.

See, my reasoning is two-fold.

One, most people don't stay for the very end of the credits, but usually stay for the mid-credits scene. From a narrative perspective, why not finish the story they were just watching? This is my biggest beef, honestly because from a narrative standpoint on JUST the movie on its own, the end-crdledits scene males more sense to put first.

Second, most of the teasers for next movies, while fun, are usually fan-service for nerds like us that recognize Thanos or the Infinity Gems or future Avengers. Judging by the movies so far, the teasers were not important to the narrative of that teased movie. If it was, it was explained in that movie.

I agree that the opposite order would be best, but there is another reason to do it this way: marketing. The teaser for next movies is publicity, increases your chances of going to the theater to see them.
(Also that end of credits scene in particular was pretty pointless no matter where they put it)

The purpose of the after credit scene is purely to make the impulsive types sit through the credits, no matter how pointless. Believe it or not but people behind making movies are not exactly jumping for joy that the average theater visitor is already heading out the door before the first ten names appear on the credit roll.

See, my reasoning is two-fold.

One, most people don't stay for the very end of the credits, but usually stay for the mid-credits scene. From a narrative perspective, why not finish the story they were just watching? This is my biggest beef, honestly because from a narrative standpoint on JUST the movie on its own, the end-crdledits scene males more sense to put first.
The narrative was finished though. We knew
that Bucky had broken Hydra control and was going to be doing his own thing.

Having that scene at the end of the credits fits with their trend of movies since Avengers to have a teaser for the upcoming movies at mid-credits, then some minor scene related to the aftermath of the current movie at the end of the credits. Admitedly this one was different from the ones after the Avengers, Iron Man 3, or Thor 2 in that it wasn't an intentionally humorous one.

Last edited:
For the record, I would totally support a movie focusing more on the Cap/Falcon relationship and ditch the SHIELD stuff. My favorite Cap stuff whas when he was running with Falcon.

I'd also love to see Crossbones show up, and possibly do the storyline in the comic where Cap gets the Super Soldier Serum removed from his body and has to decided if it was the Serum that made him a hero, or if he can be a hero without it. That was one of my favorite storylines from the comic.

For the record, I would totally support a movie focusing more on the Cap/Falcon relationship and ditch the SHIELD stuff. My favorite Cap stuff whas when he was running with Falcon.

I'd also love to see Crossbones show up, and possibly do the storyline in the comic where Cap gets the Super Soldier Serum removed from his body and has to decided if it was the Serum that made him a hero, or if he can be a hero without it. That was one of my favorite storylines from the comic.
I'm not sure I want to watch Spider-man 2: Captain America Edition.

We saw this last night. I liked it, though it's not my favorite superhero movie from the Marvel universe. My friends were tired, so I didn't get to stay for the clips in or at the end of the credits. This has probably been discussed already, but my brain's in too much of a fog today to go looking for it. Am I right in assuming that
they are setting things up for Bucky to take over being Cap just like in the comic books?

Also, an improvement for me would have been more shirtless Chris Evans and a shirtless Sebastian Stan. That fight scene on the helo-carrier would have been so much better if their shirts had been burned off or flung from their bodies by the explosions. lol

Is that the one where an illegal drug bonds to the serum, sending Cap on a bit of a coked-out rampage?
Yeah, and that's why it needed to have it removed from his body. I remember the issue where he fights Crossbones and kicks his ass even without the serum.

There's no real explanation of what happened to him at the end of the first movie. Then again, there's not much of an explanation of what the Tesseract does as it is. I thought it was the Mind Gem in the Infinity Gems, but looks like that is the gem that was in Loki's Staff. Originally I thought Loki's staff in the Avengers was just channeling the energy of the Tesseract. Maybe it's the Space Gem?

There's no real explanation of what happened to him at the end of the first movie. Then again, there's not much of an explanation of what the Tesseract does as it is. I thought it was the Mind Gem in the Infinity Gems, but looks like that is the gem that was in Loki's Staff. Originally I thought Loki's staff in the Avengers was just channeling the energy of the Tesseract. Maybe it's the Space Gem?
I think it's supposed to be the Space Gem, considering that when Red Skull was vanished away by it, it looked a lot like traveling via the Bifrost.

Thus far, it seems like the Mind Gem is whatever is in Loki's staff, the Space Gem is most likely the Tesseract, and the Aether from Thor: the Dark World is most likely the Reality Gem (at least in my opinion).

I think the Aether is the Power Gem, but that's mostly based on the color :p

They kind of throw a loop in it by making the Tesseract one of the gems, seeing as it wasn't in the comic books. It was a wholely different universally powerful mcguffin.

I think the Aether is the Power Gem, but that's mostly based on the color :p

They kind of throw a loop in it by making the Tesseract one of the gems, seeing as it wasn't in the comic books. It was a wholely different universally powerful mcguffin.
I suppose having the Cosmic Cube around along with the Infinity Gauntlet and the requisite gems might seem too much.

Besides, they also have their go-around with naming them the Infinity Stones. That way, they don't have to be gem-shaped.

I hope that wasn't it for Zola (and in the age of USB drives, how could it be).
I was actually surprised that he wasn't in any of the post credit scenes... esp. the one at the hydra base...

But i'm guessing (hoping) they wanted to see how people react to him before doing anything more...

I think the way they presented him was a great conceit to keep him similar to his comic book appearance, but not making him as silly as he would be if they were completely accurate to the comic. Cause, let's face it, he looks ten shades of stupid in the comic.

Arnim_Zola_(Earth-616).gif

Dave

Staff member
FINALLY! I can now be in this thread. Just took my son and my daughter's boyfriend to see this. I liked it and since I'd stayed away from everything nothing was ruined for me. I had no idea the Falcon was in it and thought everything was very well done. I might find some nitpicks later, but for now I think it was a solid movie well worth my money.

I keep coming back to Winter Soldier and thinking "wow, they really did that well. What a great movie." If I didn't have limited uses on my AMC gift cards, I'd see it again.

figmentPez

Staff member
Finally saw it. Loved it. Now I really get the joke of how people were saying that they wanted Captain America 3 to be:

Captain and Falcon: We're Up All Night to Get Bucky