Canadian Politics

More from the "OMG he's even worse than I thought" file: Morneau Shepell, Sears and more — they’ve all forgotten about the little guy

Surprising that isn't a crime to do that... but then we get into our Finance Minister:

So the Finance Minister allows one of the larger retailers in Canada to crater, its employees without a funded pension plan... and then benefits from it DIRECTLY?

This is some serious WTF-level stuff.
More continuations of this kind of thing: Morneau sides with shareholders, not Canadian workers
Perhaps it is not strange that executives running some of Canada’s biggest companies would choose to shortchange their employees’ pension plans, preferring instead to pay dividends to themselves and other shareholders.

But, what seems odd is that our government allows it.

Of course, in running any business there are choices to be made. But surely whether or not employees should be paid what they are owed cannot be not one of them. That is an obligation.

Or it should be.

But there was disturbing news in a report last week by David Macdonald, senior economist with the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives. According to Macdonald’s research, many Canadian companies are paying massive dividends to shareholders even while they are underfunding their employees’ pension plan.
I don't agree with Parkin on much, but on this issue, I'm with him 100%. Some of the comments in that article raise the idea of why should the company bear the risk, and the employees none? Because they're employees you idiot. Part of the compensation package is a promised pension with benefits A, B, & C. How would you like it if your employer said to you "ya, we had a bad year, so your pay is being cut by 30%. Oh my pay? Oh no, I couldn't cut that." That's basically what's happening here, and in other companies as well.

I think that Parkin's (the author) argument is particularly well-supported by citing large companies that ARE doing the right thing and supporting employee pension plans. It lends extra weight to his arguments.

Again, Parkin and I are on opposite sides of MANY issues, but this isn't one of them.
X

I don't get why they aren't doing something about that. Is anyone really going to be upset by pardoning them (or whatever the canadian equivalent)?*

*Besides people that still want pot to be illegal who I'd imagine don't like Treaudau anyways.

Last I heard they were STILL going to fuck over small businesses. So kinda disingenuous on that one.
New rules released! What you need to know about Morneau’s changes to ‘income sprinkling’ rules

Yep, still fucking over small businesses. Especially professionals (doctors, etc).
The family member is 25 or older, and owns a percentage of the business that is equal or greater to 10 per cent. Family members who own part of a service-based or professional corporation (that carries on the professional practice of an accountant, dentist, lawyer, medical doctor, etc) would not qualify for this off-ramp.
So good for franchise owners and stuff, but still fucking over professionals. Great how you guys want to discourage more General Practitioner Doctors. They're not that needed.

Oh wait, yes they are. There's a huge shortage.

F'n idiots.

Is a CCPC the same as an S or C Corp here in the states, or an LLC? The former being a separate legal entity in all forms such as income tax, the latter being much more limited, designed to ease the liability of the owners if the business went belly up, income & loss is distributed out to the owners for tax purposes.

Is a CCPC the same as an S or C Corp here in the states, or an LLC? The former being a separate legal entity in all forms such as income tax, the latter being much more limited, designed to ease the liability of the owners if the business went belly up, income & loss is distributed out to the owners for tax purposes.
I can't answer that Covar. I don't know about the various types and what they mean, here OR there. That's why I didn't respond to this earlier, as I had nothing to add.

In other news: Ethics Watchdog’s Report Draws Blunt Conclusions About The Trudeau-Aga Khan Friendship
Dawson wrote that the Aga Khan struck up a friendship with prime minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau in the late 1960s which "developed into a family friendship."

But with the exception of Pierre Trudeau's funeral in 2000, she wrote, the current prime minister had "no private or personal interactions" with the Aga Khan between 1983 and the fall of 2013 — after he had become a federal party leader.

"There was no evidence that the Aga Khan ever tried to contact Mr. Trudeau in those 30 years, including when the Aga Khan made official visits to Canada while Mr. Trudeau was a Member of the House of Commons," she wrote.
That section is particularly damning. Basically he had contact when they were a family with/in power. For those in the USA, "the late 1960s" until 1983 is when Trudeau Sr. was in power federally. So this relationship is all about influencing power in Canada, not "true friends" or anything like that. That Justin didn't see the results of the report and realize how he's being used just shows how incompetent he is IMO.

I don't know what the correct play for a politician is here. If you're not outraged when you here the news it's bad. If you wait for the facts it's bad. Do you just send thoughts an prayers to the person and support the police?

I don't know what the correct play for a politician is here. If you're not outraged when you here the news it's bad. If you wait for the facts it's bad. Do you just send thoughts an prayers to the person and support the police?
I think most politicans and community leaders handled it well.

Whoever organized that original press conference, though, that person fucked up. They fucked up even if the assault was real. Putting a kid who had just been assaulted into the public spotlight is stupid.

Yikes! Two provincial party leaders quit over sexual harassment charges in two days.
The Ontario one I saw, link on the other? Ontario is swamping the search results for me (despite never having lived there, and continually telling Google "not interested" on anything remotely Toronto-related).

The Ontario one I saw, link on the other? Ontario is swamping the search results for me (despite never having lived there, and continually telling Google "not interested" on anything remotely Toronto-related).
Narf!

Jamie Ballie from Nova Scotia.

And now the federal Disabilities Minister has resigned while he defends himself against harassment allegations from back in his Alberta days.

Are there any members of the Ontario PC party left? Their leader and entire election staff gone last week, their party president today.

So, the Liberal party has been attacking Doug Ford for being like Trump. Well, he has never sounded so much like Trump as he did when answering a reporter who asked him to describe how a bill is passed. After pointing out the reportee was playing gotcha, Ford said

But don’t worry. I’m going to show you how many bills we’re going to pass. We’re going to pass endless bills down there and I hope you’re down there to watch the bills get passed.”
They're gonna be yuge!

Man, it sure is the age of fat, glistening children of money getting to be as publicly sleazy as possible and still likely to end up in charge isn't it?

Man, it sure is the age of fat, glistening children of money getting to be as publicly sleazy as possible and still likely to end up in charge isn't it?
Money is power; democracy was a nice experiment but it's pretty much failing at the moment. People are being played with propaganda, and all over the world, slimy rich people and/or military tough men are taking over again. It'll get worse before it gets better.

Yup. Just calling it out because I don’t know how many people knew there was another Ford in the making.
Seriously, that family...

—Patrick

Yup. Just calling it out because I don’t know how many people knew there was another Ford in the making.
Seriously, that family...

—Patrick
Aye. I've been watching their boorish ignorance since they were Toronto city councillors. Now I get to watch one become my premier today.

He's already siding with Trump over Canada. Have fun Ontario. We're gonna do the same thing in a year or so when we elect a complete piece of shit into power in Jason Kenney.