Buying Domain Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave & Jay,

Where would you recommend buying domain names from? GoDaddy is the place that first pops into my head, but I remember hearing on TWiT that they are overpriced. So where would you suggest I looK?

Note: I don't need any hosting because I already have space, I'm just looking for a domain name.

Dave

Staff member
They aren't overpriced until you start getting into really high traffic sites. Their dedicated servers are a bit pricey.

You should be fine.

Necronic

Staff member
It doesn't really matter honestly. I would suggest buying from the people that have the best "your domain name is already owned, why don't you try these instead" search engine. Some of them are good, others are.....not so good.

The one nice thing about go-daddy is that they have good support and they do a good job letting you know about renewing your domain name. Which I really need to do. I also need to start paying my hosting company again....

Considering I'm on their website, contemplating a website name I want to buy as part of a website I wanna put up for $11 canadian... i'd say so

(it's a .COM)

Scratch that, it was $2.17 for registration, the rest of the price was hosting and the private registration option

Necronic

Staff member
couple other pieces of advice. You don't have to use the same company for registration and hosting, and when you do host, make SURE you use a static IP. Makes a huge difference to your SEO (search engine optimization)

Status
Not open for further replies.