Buying a new pc

Self-built might save you around 300 USD or more, assuming there are no embargoes on components in your area. Just make sure your case is up to your future plans.

--Patrick

In the end I took that build down to the builders and they gave me a roughly equivalent computer for more than $300 less.

E3-1230v3 processor
Asus GTX 760-2GD5 video cardH87-Pro motherboard
Toshiba 128G SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD
Kingston C10 8GB 1600 x 2
Same 550W power supply as before
Asus DVD-RW

Plus a 23 inch AOC monitor, and a Logitech mouse and keyboard set. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks again to @PatrThom for

First post from the new pc. Yes, I know, I haven't done anything in a few weeks :p
Anyway, installing Windows has really changed. The longest part was literally typing in the key; I don't think the rest took more than 15 minutes of just waiting around and picking a color scheme.

Now to install the drivers for everything and see if it all still works. I wonder - install drivers first or install Win 8.1 first? Hmmm....

A-hah-ha. Befoire I can upgrade to 8.1, I need 54 critical security (blahblah) updates. Trying to download those results in a crash. Oh, good old Windows.

Different question...Since this motherboard, unfortunately, only has 2 audio outputs, I can't use my surround system. I'd buy a sound card, but they go from around €10 to well over €150 (in the "supports 5.1" category). What the...?
Can anyone tell me what I should look for and what I should try to avoid? I'm not much of an audiophile and I rarely-if-ever watch movies on my pc, it's mostly for games and occasionally some music.

Just get a cheap cheap surround sound one then. They often use the Realtek chipsets which are quite good, though not audiophile quality. It will be sufficient for your needs.

GasBandit

Staff member
I agree with Stienman. I'd be surprised if you needed to spend more than $20 to get a sound card that gives you surround and performs well. And this is speaking from a standpoint of working with $1600 sound cards all day here.

Yeah. Don't get a hyper-expensive "isolated audio circuitry" or whatever sound card if you're just feeding the sound into a $100 speaker system.

--Patrick

it's a $500 surround system, technically, but I got it for free :p
And thanks; I just don't have the experience/knowledge if there was a huge difference. If you'd told me "get one from a good brand because everything under $50 is absolute crap and worse than the on-board audio" I'd have believed that too :)

Coming back to this thread, still haven't bought anything new because I'm....energy-conserving. Yes. Ahem.
Anyway, I wasl ooking around, and a lot - a lot - of sound cards that specify themselves as being 5.1 only seem to have 4 "outs". This is the Asus Xonar DGX, for example:

Now..;How the heck are you supposed to put 5 speakers and a subwoofer on that thing?! Seriously - is it a different type of connector, am I missing something blindingly obvious,...?

The Green/Black/Orange connectors carry 2 channels each, for a total of 6, giving you your 5.1 system.
The Pink connector is for sound in/mic.

Alternatively, you can use the optical out to hook up your receiver and let it do all the work.

--Patrick