[Brazelton] Bob Murray

I read that as Bill Murray, and I went "aww, shame".

Then I opened the thread and thought, wow, what's he got against the Ghostbusters?
Then I saw the picture, my penny dropped, and I went, "ooooohhhhh. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy".

I have never heard of this person. But the sheer amount of spite necessary to write and produce a 5 minute song and dance number is absolutely massive, so I'm assuming he was basically a rancid dick-wad.

I have never heard of this person. But the sheer amount of spite necessary to write and produce a 5 minute song and dance number is absolutely massive, so I'm assuming he was basically a rancid dick-wad.
While I'm sure DA can and will go into far more detail, this guy was one of the biggest industry leaders with regards to coal. He was pretty much literally the stereotypical Evil Capitalist Company Boss, perfectly willing and able to steal, lie, cheat and let people die for the bottom line of the company. Both through actions and by using money, he was instrumental in keeping the coal industry alive and profitable; keeping health and safety regulations out, keeping subsidies coming in, covering up wrongful deaths, suing anyone who dared to try and oppose him.
It's because of that last one, incidentally, that John Oliver sang that song. They did a show about Bob and the coal industry, Bob sued them, and eventually it was ruled fair use. Which lead to LWT to do a segment on SLAPP suits, ending with that song.

Insofar as you may or may not believe in such things, he was unequivocally an agent of Evil.

While I'm sure DA can and will go into far more detail, this guy was one of the biggest industry leaders with regards to coal. He was pretty much literally the stereotypical Evil Capitalist Company Boss, perfectly willing and able to steal, lie, cheat and let people die for the bottom line of the company. Both through actions and by using money, he was instrumental in keeping the coal industry alive and profitable; keeping health and safety regulations out, keeping subsidies coming in, covering up wrongful deaths, suing anyone who dared to try and oppose him.
It's because of that last one, incidentally, that John Oliver sang that song. They did a show about Bob and the coal industry, Bob sued them, and eventually it was ruled fair use. Which lead to LWT to do a segment on SLAPP suits, ending with that song.

Insofar as you may or may not believe in such things, he was unequivocally an agent of Evil.
He was basically a villain from Captain Planet. And John Oliver delighted in trolling the shit out of him.

Fittingly he looked a live action cartoon character. He reminds me of Dungeon Master from Dungeon and Dragon.

DA can't hear you, he's too busy basking in the schadenfreude.
That or stewing about how one of the Ohio Valley TV stations kissed his ass so thoroughly when announcing his death. Dude's got blood on his hands. Don't praise him as a "job creator."

Is it weird or morbid to hope, with Murray's death, there will be less corporate interference from the coal industry and we see more progress with renewable technology?

Economics have already been pushing things in that direction, but it didn't really gain the momentum it needed to become more visible until the bottom fell out of the oil market.

--Patrick

Is it weird or morbid to hope, with Murray's death, there will be less corporate interference from the coal industry and we see more progress with renewable technology?
Don Blankenship is still up and about, and he's a lot more blatant about buying political influence, so no. Until he snuffs it, we're still fucked.