Blizzcon 2011 Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannow

Staff member
Here is an update from mmo..

What is Mists of Pandaria?
  • The goal is to combine new gameplay with most fun parts of the past.
  • The plan is to get people back into the world, instead of having players roam around Stormwind and Orgrimmar all the time once they reach max level.
  • Developers want you to do what you want to do to progress your character. They really want you to feel like you have a menu of content where you can pick whatever you want to do, and you shouldn't feel forced to do something to progress your character. For example, daily quests will reward you with valor points but it will still be faster if you raid of course.
  • Character builds are going to be entirely revamped. Talents were still too cookie cutter, so the developers want to give players more choices in their talents.

Pandaria
  • 5 New leveling zones to explore
  • Single, unified continent
  • Influenced by Asian landscapes
  • AH, Bank, and Central Questing Hub
  • No flying until max level
  • There's 5 leveling zones but they are very large zones, and you won't have your flying mount.

Lore of Pandaria
  • A long, storied history.
  • Magically hidden since The Sundering
  • A new land to explore....
  • Pandaria was discovered during the cataclysm, a naval battle between horde and alliance was taking place close to it.

Pandaren starting zone
  • It's a turtle! It left Pandaria 10 000 years ago and never came back. Pandarens who wanted to discover the world left on that turtle.
  • Story focused with simple mechanics
  • Cross faction, choose Horde/Alliance at level 10.

Creatures of Pandaria
  • The Jinyu are fish-like creatures and will be in a wide number of zones.
  • The Hozu are a monkey-like race, they stand up on their legs and can walk around. They play tons of pranks on the local pandarens and are also in a lot of zones.
  • Verming are ... new kobolds, they kinda look like evil bunnies.
  • Mantid: Whole raids and dungeons around this race. Insect race that has been there since the beginning of ages. They have been seperated by a giant wall. They are starting to go crazy and are going through the wall
  • Mogu: Ancient race, original race on pandaria. The mogu want the island back from the pandaren, they are really mad. You will see them in dungeons.
  • Sha: Manifestation of the evil energies that flow through the earth. If there is any sort of battle these guys pop up.

The Jade Forest
  • This is where Alliance and Horde will be landing. The horde is washing up on the north side, the alliance on the south side. There will be one unified start zone and Alliance/Horde will end up meeting up in the middle.
  • Lush rainforests and stone spires
  • The Alliance will try to become friend with the Hozu, and the Horde with the Jinyu and will try to turn them against each other.
  • Temple of the Jade Serpent will be the dungeon of this zone. It will be your 85-86 Dungeon, it has been taken over by Sha

Valley of the Four Winds
  • Two zones for the price of one! This zone is huge, the whole north side of the zone is pandaren farmlands, the south is a coastal jungle.
  • You will get to choose between the north side and the south side when you arrive. You can go back and switch side if you want the other quests.
  • The dungeon of this zone is Stormstout Brewery.
  • This is where you will have your first interaction with the Mantids, they broke through the wall and are now attacking pandarens villages.
  • This is a level 86-87 zone

New Features
  • The pandarens are the new race.
  • The female model isn't done yet.
  • At level 10, you will get to choose between horde and alliance.
  • Pandaren Classes: Hunter, Mage, Monk, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, Warrior
  • Racial - Epicurean - Increase the stat benefits from food by 100%
  • Racial - Gourmand - Cooking skill increased by 15.
  • Racial - Inner Peace - Your rested experience bonus lasts twice as long.
  • Racial - Bouncy - You take 50% less falling damage.
  • Racial - Quaking Palm - You touch a secret pressure point on an enemy target, putting it to sleep for 3 sec.

Monk New Class
  • Brewmaster - Tank spec
  • Mistweaver - Healer, a healer who can stand up in melee and will let players experience a "new healing style"
  • Windwalker - Melee DPS
  • This is not a hero class, and it will start at level 1
  • The class is very martial-arts based
  • Lots of monk-only animations, the healer and tanks will have different stances they can stand in, etc ...
  • Monk Races - All of them except Goblin and Worgens

Monk Equipment
  • Leather Armor (Agility or Intellect)
  • They hit a lot with hands and feet
  • They will need weapons for some finishers: Staves, Fist Weapons
  • They will also be able to use 1H Axe and maces, swords
  • Healers will get off-hands, they don't want healers to use shields.

Monk Resources
  • Chi (energy) slowly regenerates and is only used for your Jab and Roll abilities.
  • Jab generates Light and Dark force, which are used for everything else. Some finishing move uses dark force, some use the light force.
  • No auto attack! Devs want you to have this street fighter feel where you punch a lot

Cataclysm Talents / Talent 2.0
Cataclysm Talents
  • Pro - The level 10 specs were really nice and gave you a role early in the game, definitely a keeper.
  • Pro - Removing junk from the talent trees was also a very good move.
  • Pro - Having some kind of choices for optional skills/subspecs worked out pretty well.
  • Con - You had a risk of "skipping" important talents
  • Con - There wasn't enough junk removed
  • Con - There wasn't enough choices, you might have a different final talent point than another combat rogue but it just wasn't enough. The cookie cutter build still persists.
  • Con - No enough customization, no true hybridization (Using a little bit of 2 different trees)
  • Con - Players got grumpy

Talent System 2.0
  • The talent system is gone! Ok, not really, but it's greatly changed.
  • You now have your class abilities, your spec abilities, and your talents.
  • You still choose your spec at level 10, and you get a spec ability at level 10. You will get additional spec abilities later. There are anything that you really need to function, they will just be given to you to make sure you have all the tools you need to have.

Example - Prot Paladin
  • LVL 10 - Avenger's Shield
  • LVL 20 - Hammer of the Righteous (Prot and Ret)
  • LVL 30 - Judgement of the Just (Passive)

Talents
  • There is not talent points or ranks.
  • There is one talent pree per class.
  • You earn talents every 15 levels.
  • You get to choose 1 out of 3 every time you get a new point, you can only pick one of them and can't go back to get the other ones.
  • There will be no mandatory talent. There won't be any cookie cutter build or anything, it will depend on what kind of optional ability you want.
  • You can now change talents as easily as you change glyphs.
  • More info in the Talent Tree Panel at 2:15

PvE Scenarios
  • PvE Scenarios are a way to give new interesting content that doesn't make sense in a dungeon content.
  • Scenarios are more about reusing parts of the world in interesting new ways, and introducing new types of PvE gameplay that we've never seen before like PvE battlegrounds.
  • They are short instances for a few players, the amount of players can vary depending on the scenario, some of them can be for 3 players.
  • You don't need the typical tank/heal/dps setup, you will just be able to enter and play your role no matter what it is.
  • It will be a staged experience where you will try to accomplish some greater goal
  • For example, a scenario might require you to kill 25 kobolds in stage 1, then find and return 4 goldshire children, and then kill the boss.
  • Developers would like to do PvE battlegrounds, where you will have to slay 50 alliance/horde soldiers, destroy 6 towers and the barracks, and then defeat the enemy General.
  • They could replace group quests.
  • It uses the same queue system as the dungeon finder
  • Since there is no role requirements, queues should be instant.

Challenge Mode Dungeons
  • Complete a dungeon in x minutes
  • To earn Bronze, Silver, Gold medals.
  • Gear levels are normalized, all your gear will be brought to the same level to make the competition even.
  • You can't just get better gear to overpower it.
  • It will reward sweet looking gear with no stats, and valor points!
  • Challenge Mode will reward you with very unique looking gear to show off how awesome you are to your friends
  • A new challenge dungeons UI will be added, you will be able to check your medals, your ranking, show what rewards you can unlock, etc ....

Pet Battle System

Create a new character and mail it to him.
Added at: 14:35
Nah, this is a joke. This has to be them just tongue and cheeking everyone.
Added at: 14:37
Ok guys, we have 9 new dungeons!

-chirping

AND NEW REHASHES OF OLD DUNGEONS

-audience freaks the fuck out

Hey, do you remember hating Scholomance pre-nerf, thinking it was boring as shit post-nerf and never ever going to it when it was reduced to level 40? WELL GO THE FUCK BACK IN THERE!

Shannow

Staff member
Thats why my vaniall warrior sits where he is, getting slowly leveled here and there, and I play my mage as my raiding main now. hahahahahah

I.....really like the ranged weapon changes...
Added at: 14:53
Destruction Warlocks are in NBA Jam now. HE'S ON FIRE! BOOMSHAKALAKA
Added at: 14:55
Splitting feral cat and bear. Good, druids can fuck themselves.
Added at: 14:58
Man, watching all those people stand up. I think the average weight at Blizzcon is about 400 pounds.

Shannow

Staff member
Is it the shoes!?
Added at: 17:00
I agree about the ranged changes and hunter changes...wow, I really really like that.

C

Chibibar

That sounds like a major revamp of the whole game mechanics. Are all for real or some of it are "spoof" to throw off the players. (like Pokemon style combats)

The Pokemon does seem awfully weird. The only think I can think of is they are attempting to branch out with a new end-game system for people to pass the time and level up things other then their character. It also lets them open up more "store" pets that people will go "OOOHHHHHH" over. I smell Kotick but I am going to hold judgement till I see a bit more about it.

The talent changes... I am not sure about. Reducing them to such bare bones scares me, but the new system reminds me a lot of Diablo 3 and I am finding myself loving it.

Oh, and ACCOUNT WIDE Achievements, FINALLY. I was tired of having my BE Paladin I never play with a bazillion and my Gnome Mage basically looking like a newb.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ha ha, WoW has the WORST fucking community of any game.
I dunno... the League of Legends community is pretty damn toxic. The first, FIRST time I played a female character in it, I had some other twit on my team playing gangplank screaming in /all about how he wanted to fuck me. And that was just on the same team... there's been horrendous shit from the other team. Maybe the people aren't any worse than WoW, but at least WoW is smart enough not to let the opposing factions communicate.

I'm watching it right now. It's still looking like there's going to be must have talents for certain specs.

C

Chibibar

The Pokemon does seem awfully weird. The only think I can think of is they are attempting to branch out with a new end-game system for people to pass the time and level up things other then their character. It also lets them open up more "store" pets that people will go "OOOHHHHHH" over. I smell Kotick but I am going to hold judgement till I see a bit more about it.

The talent changes... I am not sure about. Reducing them to such bare bones scares me, but the new system reminds me a lot of Diablo 3 and I am finding myself loving it.

Oh, and ACCOUNT WIDE Achievements, FINALLY. I was tired of having my BE Paladin I never play with a bazillion and my Gnome Mage basically looking like a newb.
Oh that is cool.

Well i don't play WoW, so i have no clue... but it does fit the Monk archetype better then a straight up tank.

Anyhow, it's not all about WoW:

Great idea demon guy, totally spoil your plan to a Horadrim... no wonder you where oe of teh sub-prime evils... but i guess they have to make us cheer when Diablo offs him and takes his rightful place as final boss somehow...

Great idea demon guy, totally spoil your plan to a Horadrim... no wonder you where oe of the sub-prime evils... but i guess they have to make us cheer when Diablo offs him and takes his rightful place as final boss somehow...
TECHNICALLY she is not a Horadrim, but she does study under one. ;)

I have to say, Diablo's kid turned out pretty hot. :eek:

I have to say, Diablo's kid turned out pretty hot. :eek:
And she's also a princess...

The Brewmaster in WC3 could be very tanklike. It's not like they're going against previous shit.
True, i was just going for the cooler RL reference...

And no one posted the HotS video yet:

Blizzard said:
Here's an outline of what's new in Heart of the Swarm multiplayer:
Terrans

Issues and weaknesses

Thor is too slow and clumsy
Race has difficulties in handling mass zealots in late game

New units and abilities

New "battle mode" for hellion - transforms like a viking

Battle mode hellion has more hit points, moves more slowly
Shorter, wider arc on flame attack, and stronger
Gives terran a beefy front-line fighter in the late game

Warhound

Smaller, more nimble version of Thor
Effective anti-mech ground weapon to help break siege tank lines
Anti-air attack with splash damage

Shredder

Robot that emits channeled, area of effect damage when immobilized
Damage automatically shuts off when an ally moves into range
Gives terran cheap zone control, but can't be used near main army
Is still very work-in-progress

Thor

Moved to late game, more hit points and damage
Can only have one, like mothership from Wings of Liberty

Zerg

Issues and weaknesses

Mid-game difficulties with siege and controlling areas
Missed opportunities with certain units like ultralisk and corruptor

New units and abilities

Ultralisk

Existing version is bulky and has difficulties engaging in battle
New burrow charge ability lets it dive underground and get into the fight easily

Viper

New caster unit with detection -- replaces overseer
Has abilities like blinding cloud to help break entrenched positions
Abduct ability allows it to pull units to itself -- pull siege tanks or colossus out of death balls

Swarm host

Zerg artillery for map control and siege
Burrows into the ground, and continuously generates small creatures to attack
Feels very zerg-y

Protoss

Issues and weaknesses

Needs more raiding options
Needs area of effect, anti-air attacks

New units and abilities

Tempest

New protoss capital ship, replaces carrier
Anti-air splash damage for mutalisks and other aircraft
Has direct air-to-ground attack as well that isn't splash

Replicant

Special unit that can clone itself into any non-massive unit
Allows protoss to also take siege tanks or infestors from enemies
Is very expensive
Still very much a work-in-progress, not-final unit

Oracle

Caster unit used for raiding and harassment
Can disable enemy structures, or prevent miningwith its abilities
Doesn't actually kill or damage anything
Mothership is cut in favor of this unit

There were some other adjustments and additions in multiplayer Heart of the Swarm. Some of the more interesting changes include the reaper gaining the ability to quickly regenerate health when out of combat, though its building attack has been removed. Battlecruisers will also get a new cooldown-based ability for a speed boost.

On the zerg side, banelings will be able to move while underground, through a late-game upgrade, while hydralisks will get a speed upgrade for off-creep movement. Corruptors will also have a new channeled ability called siphon. Siphoned buildings take damage over time, while the zerg player gains minerals as the building is being damaged.

Finally for the protoss, two new abilities have been added to the nexus. One is a mass recall, allowing protoss players to quickly return armies home, while the other is a defensive ability that temporarily gives any structure additional shield and building armor, as well as a weapon similar to a photon cannon.

Before taking questions, the StarCraft II developers reminded everyone that everything is still very much work in progress and subject to change.

Okay, the Foo Fighters concert at the end of the show was really good, much better then the others. The crowd seemed more into it and Dave looked like he was having much more fun then Ozzy or Tenacious D were having. After they finished the set and left the stage people chanted "One more song" so Dave came back out and they played Times Like These and Everlong. At one point, Dave ran into the crowd to do a solo and ran into a woman, who quickly asked him to sign her tits, which he complied. :unibrow:

I enjoyed it a lot, even just on the stream.

Blizzcon was a total win. The best part? All the QQ on the boards all over the net about "lolpandajokeclasswowisdead". I've been posting everywhere just to troll them.

I like the whining about the pokemon stuff. They do know that they're not forced to take part don't they?

Not to mention the sheer number of subs it's going to actually GET for the game?

I may never play it, but I'm glad they are working on getting a more diverse player base. Best part of all will be the people who claimed they were going to quit WoW, that will post and complain on the forums everytime there's a patch with Pet Battle Fixes. (Omg, you guys are wasting time on such a useless feature, I'm so glad I quit/gonna quit!

The people complaining about the Pandaren are a minority. It's the same when Cataclysm was announced and everyone was like "Worgen!? LOL TWITARDS WTF". They are always the most vocal once the expansion is announced because nothing will please them. Most players really don't care, and many other players like them.

Fact is most of the players that have left WoW so far did it not because of the new races, but due to changes that made the game unattractive to the more casual players. I went over this before, like Guild Leveling destroying many smaller guilds, Heroics being to difficult out of the gate and stopping casual progression, etc... Blizzard knows this is what caused the drop in subscribers. Here is where I think MoP will end up working because they did take it into account.

1) The Annual Pass. They basically are telling people that if they commit to a year, they get a free beta pass, a free mount that looks amazing, and a free copy of one of their most anticipated games. That is a juicy deal, and many people will sign for it, maybe even bringing in some of the Diablo heads that wouldn't mind passing time in WoW until D3 hits the shelves.

2) A return to adventure. One of the things I found missing in Cataclysm was a lot of the zones didn't feel like you were actually discovering much. I admit that I was wrong when I said I was happy they were allowing us to fly in the Cataclysm zones right away, because it took away some of the grandoir. They are going back to the system where you are grounded till max level, and I am happy for it. They can remove the requirement later if they want.

3) Easier progression. Let's get real here, people DON'T like hitting a brick wall, and in Cataclysm, much more so starting out, it was easy to find yourself logging on with nothing you wanted to do because dailies didn't give enough bonuses, Herorics were overly difficult, and new professions like Archeology were just downright boring. Blizzard is fixing that by making more progressive paths, for instance, you can now get VALOR POINTS from certain daily quests. The Raid Finder, Scenarios, etc... all add to that.

4) More things to do. Archeology is an interesting new secondary skill, but it's also boring as hell. The Pet Battle System looks like it's going to be a very interesting thing to do to pass the time. It's going to bring, or help keep, a lot of players that love the collection side of the game while also making a interesting usage for those collectables. My only hope is they keep it well balanced. I don't want to ever see the "store" pets gain bonuses over the pets gained in the game, for instance.

My only fear is the new Talent System. When someone levels they like to know they are constantly getting something new. The fact they are removing the old talent system and instead making this new system where you get a point every 15 levels, means players will find themselves getting less and less per level. Gear can possibly make up for this with new players, but those decked out with heirlooms will feel that carrot a bit farther away. They also need to work hard to make each skill balanced, because I already noticed a few classes with skills that are obviously better choices then others, and that shouldn't happen. I will reserve judgement till we actually get to play with it.

Either way, I am happy Blizzard realized what failed about Cataclysm. My only hope is they do some changes to the Guild Leveling by the time MoP hits, so that people can go back to smaller, more tight guilds, and still feel progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.