Black Friday makes me sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I can handle the pressure of a decision Juski. I think I'll bow out and let this thread crumble of its own accord.

figmentPez

Staff member
By buying something you were going to buy anyway at a discounted price.
While I agree that's a good point... I'm wary of the merchandise that's put out on Black Friday. The computers, especially, are likely to be lower quality units with a high failure rate attached. That $2 waffle maker that people were fighting to grab? Chance are if you're really going to use a waffle maker, that's not the one you want. It might be worth the $2, but it's not worth the fight, or any of the other hassles of Black Friday. A good waffle maker will cost more, but it'll also work better and last longer. That's true for a lot of the junk that's being pushed out as deals on the day after Thanksgiving.

My counter-point in summation: That "deal" you're getting isn't what you would have purchased anyway, it's the cheaper knock-off version that's specially made to be that discount (or put on discount because it wasn't selling well because it's lacking features or is slightly defective).

M

makare

Thats definitely true at walmart like stores. But the stuff there is lower quality anyway. Like they had this vacuum on sale, I would have really liked it and it was a good deal but in reality it would make more sense to buy a better vacuum for more money. However getting that more money is always the problem.

Thats definitely true at walmart like stores. But the stuff there is lower quality anyway. Like they had this vacuum on sale, I would have really liked it and it was a good deal but in reality it would make more sense to buy a better vacuum for more money. However getting that more money is always the problem.
Which is a lot of times why some people end up in a crap place with money and can't get out of it. I saw an example in one of the Watch books of Discworld, probably Men-at-Arms when Vimes is marrying into wealth and realizes he's never had a decent pair of boots before. He could spend 30 dollars on crappy boots and need to get new ones every year, while someone rich could spend 100 dollars on great boots and not need another pair for ten years, so in the end, the rich person spent less money. It's why I've told my wife we can't have certain things right now--I want us to have the money to buy stuff that will last, not just stuff to have now.

M

makare

For some things that works but for other things you are kind of in a rut. Like the vacuum it is pretty much a necessity. The one I have is basically broken but I am going to use it until it bursts into flame because I can't afford even a cheap crappy one. But I'll be able to afford a cheap crappy one long before I can afford a nice one.

Also anyone else experience the "finally i saved some money aw shit something broke!" syndrome? Like I finally get a head a bit on money and then my computer would break or my car would jettison a key implement or something. Fucking karma. I never should have robbed that nun :(

Also anyone else experience the "finally i saved some money aw shit something broke!" syndrome? Like I finally get a head a bit on money and then my computer would break or my car would jettison a key implement or something. Fucking karma. I never should have robbed that nun :(
Yeah, I hate that shit. It was a common issue when living with my mom to hear my stepdad say "We were just getting ahead" after the fridge broke, or the water heater, or the car, etc.

P

PotaDOS

I actually shopped on Black Friday this year. I didn't line up Thanksgiving evening, or wake up at three-hours-before-dawn-o'clock to go. I left around 9:30 A.M. and found a couple things I've been looking to buy, and a couple things I didn't think of but would make nice gifts for myself (Merry Christmas, me!) or someone else. Maybe it's because I live in the middle of nowhere, but almost everything that was stocked at midnight was still stocked when I left the last place I went at 11:45.

I've been looking for a new television for several months. The one I have is going to hell, where bad televisions go when they finally die, which is at some point after a bunch of the features stop working correctly (the point where it is now). I ordered a new one Friday, which is nicer and less expensive than one I might've bought before Friday or today.

Yeah, some people act like dunces on Black Friday, but I'm sure they act like that most other days, too. I'm of the opinion that 30% off the price of something doesn't generally make decent people into raging, rabid assholes. An advertised sale getting many of those people in the same place at the same time shouldn't qualify everyone else there for the same insults that the foaming-at-the-mouth people get.

This was my first Black Friday shopping trip in several years and everyone I ran into was very polite and considerate. Even the employees who were there from the night before were cordial, despite being absolutely exhausted.

Just thought I'd share my experience. I had fun and I know most of the people there at the same time did also. Whether it was financially responsible for them isn't my concern, so I don't ask or pass judgment.

Yeah, some people act like dunces on Black Friday, but I'm sure they act like that most other days, too. I'm of the opinion that 30% off the price of something doesn't generally make decent people into raging, rabid assholes. An advertised sale getting many of those people in the same place at the same time shouldn't qualify everyone else there for the same insults that the foaming-at-the-mouth people get.
Wow, that's a good point. A lot of the people we see in the news on this stuff are probably worthless fucks the other 360+ days of the year anyway.

@Quotemander: Damn your eyes for posting that abomination... I have NO idea what possessed me to click on it.

Thank God for FigPez posting that wonderful music video in the Pony thread, or else I'd have had that trash stuck in my head all day.

M

makare

Wow, that's a good point. A lot of the people we see in the news on this stuff are probably worthless fucks the other 360+ days of the year anyway.

That was pretty much the point I was trying to make. Some people are going to do all the negative stuff that people in here who are against Black Friday are talking about AND the news focuses on but the vast majority are just people who are shopping and enjoying themselves.

Lol a lot of people I know love that Kohl's ad. XD

This isn't a Black Friday rant but I feel need to rant about this level of grinchiness.

Today was Down Town St. Johns annual Christmas parade. Our parade is nothing compared to parades in other places but it is still nice and I have only missed two in my entire life. Now that Jet is around I'm passing on this tradition. The whole family went down to watch the crappy floats and we congregated in out usual spot on the side of the road.

So the parade has started, we're running late but the rest of the family is there. We cross the road, get in out spot and my husband and I flank Jet so we can share in the magic with him. Steve bends over to fix Jet glove..and then is hauled up by the shoulder but a bald Scottish man who spins him rather roughly around.

He has his little girl on his shoulders but he gets in Steves face. "How long have you been here?! We've been here for 3 hours holding this spot and you and your dumb shit kid just butts in line?!"

Steve says he's sorry and moves away, nearly a foot so the man and his family could have more room. Then his wife starts saying we are in her picture and he starts yelling at Steve again. I get in between and apologize, explaining that we're here with a whole group (most of them were looking quite upset) and we had given him plenty of room. He keeps at it, calling us names, his daughter starting to cry and his wife egging him on.

Steve, who as you may remember has some temper issues, finally told him we weren't moving. There streets are packed. If it wasn't us it was going to be someone else standing there and we WEREN'T in his or his kids way. He held his cool well and turned his back.

The guy didn't bother us again but the rest of the parade he kept talking loudly and rudely about us...which my father kept responding too with 'Merry Christmas sir!' which would earn more dirty looks.

Really, what's the matter with people?

Steve did exactly the right thing. The first time is being considerate the second is being patient; any more than that and you're kowtowing, which is never an acceptable course of action. And he stayed classy by throwing in the reminders for why y'all were all there, too. Outstanding job on Steve's part, I feel. *applause*

The only thing that could have gone differently would be to upbraid the rogue for his foul language in front of the children.

My Dad told us after we should have brought the mounties attention to it. :p They were RIGHT THERE...like, the graduates were walking, there were some coppers in a squad car...and then there were four mounties on seven foot high black stallions.

One of them was even watching as he could hear the whole thing...at the end of it he just shook his head in a sad way and then started waving to the kids.

M

makare

I can't help but think there was a good point in there somewhere but you missed it...

M

makare

As someone who came from poor (as Ive said many times) I can't just blame "the man". There is a lot going on there. Many learned behaviors that are hard to overcome. Situations both made better and worse by government assistance. It is not an easy subject.

A few years ago a professor and I had a discussion, mostly concerning the reservation, about the problem of people not understanding what it is like to never have money. Not just being poor but never having cash money. You can't handle money if you don't have it. You can't understand the value of it not just in terms of the money itself but also in terms of the work time it takes to get it. There is a lot going on with money that people in general do not appreciate, they take it for granted. If you never have that money you never learn what money really means.

I can't blame the upper echelon spenders and money earners for everything that is plaguing the poor. We need a holistic way of dealing with the problem that doesn't involve assigning blame just to one group or another. We also need to encourage personal responsibility.

You don't think it's highly offensive to assume all people with low incomes are "dumb"?
Charlie is terrible at getting his point across. "Dumb" is obviously the wrong word choice. However, poorly informed/misinformed is a better description of the tactics used by people in power.

Status
Not open for further replies.