Black Friday makes me sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

makare

What happens in the video? I just see a bunch of people standing around.

The 99% refers to the broke ass people right? That's about right then.

Um, that was tame as all hell.

As for the "99%" remark? Uh yeah, they'd be there fighting tooth and nail to save $5-20 on a game for their children/friends/themselves.

The 99% refers to the moronic mob masses that shop on Black Friday. And yeah, this is why the 99% is poor. You know how I spent my Friday morning after thanksgiving? Working out the final details on a project at work that's going to give me a solid 5k bonus.

Sorry, I just get pissed off this time of year watching people spend money they don't have and then picking their noses wondering why this country's so fucked up.

I'll give you a second to edit your post to reflect on your realization that of course the 99% would mob at Black Friday due to low incomes.

M

makare

Whatever man. I got a 15 dollar picture frame for 4 bucks. It is going to be a really nice present for my sister. So if wanting to get good deals on stuff makes me a moron for some reason then I am perfectly fine with that.

I think it's pretty fucking disgusting too and I'm glad it doesn't happen here. We have boxing day/week after Christmas, but since Christmas is already ruined it's nice to cram both of those shitty consumer zerg rush periods together.

Spend more money you don't have on shit you don't need.

ElJuski

Staff member
If you don't mind the mobs, go for it. People get a kick out of that bullshit. But personally I think it's a waste of time.

What's your point there Mathias?

Oh I see, you're supporting the 99% because of the things they go through to be able to buy the things the 1% don't have to worry about getting.

Gotcha.

I'll give you a second to edit your post to reflect on your realization that of course the 99% would mob at Black Friday due to low incomes.

Now see, I originally was a proponent of that whole movement, but seeing shit like this makes me think otherwise, like that the reason people have financial trouble is because they're generally stupid.

ElJuski

Staff member
I think pulling in platitudes about the 99% is a pretty thin argument on either side. Black Friday isn't for buying toilet paper; it's for buying electronics and Christmas presents. This has nothing to do with the poor people that actually need help. None of those people are there. I can tell you for a fact that none of my kids knows what the fuck "Black Friday" is.

Back in high school when a buddy got his first credit card, another friend asked him why he's spending money he doesn't have. He responded, "So I can buy things I can't afford." This same friend makes 6 figures bilking government contracts with his dad right now and still manages to be swimming in debt and poor. Somehow. It baffles everyone.

What's your point there Mathias?

Oh I see, you're supporting the 99% because of the things they go through to be able to buy the things the 1% don't have to worry about getting.

Gotcha.
Not really. I just don't like how people are morons. I just thought the 99% mob thing had a nice ring to it.

M

makare

Even poor people enjoy giving Christmas presents so you wait and wait and wait for the deal to get really good. You don't have the luxury of shopping every day of the year like some people do. I'll never understand why it is consumerist bullshit to do all your big shopping once a year but if you spread it out all year long it is fine. That doesn't make any sense it is still buying stuff.

Also I love shopping but again I can't do it all year. I have to do it at christmas time when there are good deals and also I don't feel comfortable spending a lot of money on myself so it gives me a chance to buy a lot for a little and give it away as presents to my friends and family.

Whatever man. I got a 15 dollar picture frame for 4 bucks. It is going to be a really nice present for my sister. So if wanting to get good deals on stuff makes me a moron for some reason then I am perfectly fine with that.
What makes you a moron is that you endured traffic and mobs for a 4 dollar frame, when it will probably be 2 dollars come January 2nd.
Added at: 15:10
Even poor people enjoy giving Christmas presents so you wait and wait and wait for the deal to get really good. You don't have the luxury of shopping every day of the year like some people do. I'll never understand why it is consumerist bullshit to do all your big shopping once a year but if you spread it out all year long it is fine. That doesn't make any sense it is still buying stuff.
Also I love shopping but again I can't do it all year. I have to do it at christmas time when there are good deals and also I don't feel comfortable spending a lot of money on myself so it gives me a chance to buy a lot for a little and give it away as presents to my friends and family.
No. If this was true, people would shop and save things throughout the year for Christmas. This is what I do. I don't have any outstanding credit cards either... Black Friday IS all consumerist bullshit. Period. People go and they buy shit they don't need. Then they whine about how poor and in debt they are.

For the record. There are NO good deals during the Christmas shopping season. None. You do realize that prices get slightly jacked at their MSRPs, and then put on "sale" for relatively the same price the goods are throughout the year. Right? Just cause the tag says "sale" doesn't mean you're saving money. You're also still buying shit you wouldn't otherwise buy.

ElJuski

Staff member
I'd argue that there are probably better deals off-season, but really, the crux of it is, there are deals, and people like deals, and people like shopping, and sometimes people like competitive shopping, and I don't have to deal with it, so I really don't give a fuck.

And you know what? It saves me from seething at the huddled masses yearning to shop cheap.

M

makare

Has it every occurred to you that people might enjoy the energy and adrenaline of shopping in a mob? That is might be, you know, fun for them? And I don't want it for January 2nd I want it for December 25th (Christmas).

What makes you a moron is that you endured traffic and mobs for a 4 dollar frame, when it will probably be 2 dollars come January 2nd.
Added at: 15:10

No. If this was true, people would shop and save things throughout the year for Christmas. This is what I do. I don't have any outstanding credit cards either... Black Friday IS all consumerist bullshit. Period. People go and they buy shit they don't need. Then they whine about how poor and in debt they are.
But they got a 400 dollar iPod for 299.99.

But they got a 400 dollar iPod for 299.99.
And spent 30 dollars on gas due to traffic, 20 dollars on food and drinks while at the mall, then 40 dollars on a pair of shoes they wouldn't normally buy....
Added at: 15:16
Has it every occurred to you that people might enjoy the energy and adrenaline of shopping in a mob? That is might be, you know, fun for them? And I don't want it for January 2nd I want it for December 25th (Christmas).
Yeah that's pretty pathetic...
And like I said, you could have bought a frame in January of 2011 for 2 dollars and saved it for Christmas 2011. BUT YOU WANT IT NOW NOW NOW
Added at: 15:18
Or you could have worked on Friday like me and made 5K and just afford shit without the stupid sales...

M

makare

Well you don't see the enjoyment of shopping in a large group at christmas time and i dont see the enjoyment of smacking a puck around on ice. So I guess we are pretty even there.

Well you don't see the enjoyment of shopping in a large group at christmas time and i dont see the enjoyment of smacking a puck around on ice. So I guess we are pretty even there.
Except smacking a puck around the ice isn't a fucking waste of time and money...

shopping doesn't keep you shape.
shopping increases your stress levels
shopping makes you go broke
shopping can ruin your credit score
shopping is bad for the environment

Hockey: I spent about 1000 bucks on gear that I've used for about 10 years. I play for free. It keeps me in shape. It reduces my stress.

Is this going to be another makare got all offended because I inadvertently called something she likes to do stupid?

M

makare

Well the waste of time is pretty debatable. But how much do you pay for equipment to play?

You could make a paper-thin defense of anything by saying "Maybe the person likes (blank".

"I hate when people piss on the sidewalk."
"Has it ever occurred to you that people might enjoy pissing on the sidewalk?"

"I hate when people are stupid."
"Has it ever occurred to you that people might enjoy being stupid?"

"I hate when people disagree for the sake of arguing."
"Has it ever occurred to you that people might enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing?"

M

makare

Why can't we have a conversation about something where we don't agree without you making it personal? As far as I can tell no one is offended by anything here.

You could make a paper-thin defense of anything by saying "Maybe the person likes (blank".

"I hate when people piss on the sidewalk."
"Has it ever occurred to you that people might enjoy pissing on the sidewalk?"

"I hate when people are stupid."
"Has it ever occurred to you that people might enjoy being stupid?"

"I hate when people disagree for the sake of arguing."
"Has it ever occurred to you that people might enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing?"
The argument against shopping isn't just that it is stupid or whatever it is implying that people do it just because they are greedy lemmings or something. But the reality is a lot of people love shopping at Christmas time because of the energy, the colors, the sounds just the overall experience. Sure I could buy something in March for Christmas but it wouldn't be the same. It is a completely different experience. Also by then the person might have bought it for themselves or lost interest in it. Then I'd be stuck with whatever it was which has happened to me before. That's why I save money for Christmas shopping instead of buy gifts all year.

Why can't we have a conversation about something where we don't agree without you making it personal? As far as I can tell no one is offended by anything here.
I think you already made it personal with the "Well, I got my frame, and my sister's really gonna like it, so you're wrong."

This thread turned into Makare likes to shop and is pissed off when people call Black Friday shoppers stupid cattle, driven by false claims and sales and later wonder why they're poor.
Cattle's right, but it looks more like pigs fighting over a single trough.

(grandpa ran a pig farm)

Status
Not open for further replies.