[Question] Best way to securely share media

My in-laws live on the other side of the globe, and they have poorish internet speeds. My in-laws are also not not tech savvy at all. We would like to share pics and videos of our daughter (and future progeny), but my wife is super-concerned about security and is trepidatious about a secure youtube account.

Do you have any recommendations? I have considered Dropbox or Google drive, but I don't know if they can figure out how to access that stuff. I have even considered password protecting a thumbdrive and just drop it in the mail. Right now I am leaning towards Google Drive/photos (though I don't know if Google is snooping in that stuff).

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Staff member
If you put them on Dropbox you can just send them a link to the drive and they don't need an account. It's how I would do it.

GasBandit

Staff member
You can set up the dropbox application so it uses a folder on their computer. So if you set up a dropbox for the two of you to share, what ever changes are made will propogate to and from the folder on their computer.

It depends. If it's just to transfer over, I actually prefer WeTransfer over DropBox - though DB has other features, it's also a bit more troublesome to use. You can use WT while neither of you have an account. You upload the file(s), you get a link for anyone who wants to download them, done.

Password-protecting a thumb drive is not always as secure as you might think (some just use the password to mount but not encrypt), but if the poorish Internet speeds and lack of computer savvy are important factors then physical shipping is probably the best bet. You will have to teach them how to use a program like AxCrypt to be able to retrieve the files you send them, but once that hurdle has been passed, you can send them files burned to CD/DVD that they can copy and decrypt once they arrive (you will have to somehow get the password to them, of course). CDs ship well, can hold quite a few pictures, and best of all if they keep the CDs they can get the pictures back again later if they bork their hard drive (if someone still has the password, that is). I make this recommendation with the assumption that their computer is still old enough to have an optical drive.

--Patrick

I make this recommendation with the assumption that their computer is still old enough to have an optical drive.

--Patrick
Yeah, we bought them a pc when we were there a few years back. I like the CD idea. It's probably silly to want to encrypt pictures of our kiddo. It might raise questions if they (foreign government) open the mail (which they can and do).

I think I'll try Dropbox first, and then physical media.

Cheers guys!

Yeah, we bought them a pc when we were there a few years back. I like the CD idea. It's probably silly to want to encrypt pictures of our kiddo. It might raise questions if they (foreign government) open the mail (which they can and do).

I think I'll try Dropbox first, and then physical media.

Cheers guys!
The NSA already has all of your pictures, anyway.