Best Buy Screws Computer Buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
I know we've all said this before but Consumer Reports proves it.

http://consumerist.com/2010/01/cons...-is-a-big-stupid-annoying-waste-of-money.html

Now, this is a very long article, but the gist is that they "optimize" the computers and tack on $40 to the price. Now, this optimization is supposed to clean up all the preloaded factory crap that is put on the system and make startups faster. In reality what they did was get rid of the shortcuts and links to the programs to make it look cleaner.

In fact, because of some of the things they DID do, the computers run slower! Up to 32% in some cases.

As I said, it's a long article, but well worth the read.

C

Chibibar

Interesting read :) I never let other do my optimization. I can do my own optimization :)

Cajungal

Staff member
GASP. Yep, I learned that the hard way. It's why I'm getting some friends to help me make my own.

GasBandit

Staff member
When I was in school I had a part time job at best buy. One of the things I was in charge of was re-shrinkwrapping the returned items so we could pass them off as new and re-sell them again at full price.

When I was in school I had a part time job at best buy. One of the things I was in charge of was re-shrinkwrapping the returned items so we could pass them off as new and re-sell them again at full price.
That was one that did not bother me. As long as everything was returned. The vast amounts of returns to BB was from people too dumb to flip through a manual, or read what was written above a button.

Z

Zumbo Prime

Yeah, that's pretty funny. I'm considering going in with a microphone and asking about that now.

yeah I just got my netbook from them, and I was less then impressed with their coustomer service...the guy helping me got all in my face when I told him I did not want the service plan on my netbook.

Z

Zumbo Prime

yeah I just got my netbook from them, and I was less then impressed with their coustomer service...the guy helping me got all in my face when I told him I did not want the service plan on my netbook.
Actually, not smart. I didn't bother for my first laptop, and it died a month after the manufacturer's warranty ran out. Motherboard fried.

First thing I always end up doing whenever someone around me buys a new piece of computer hardware is ye olde format and fresh install. I still would like to be able to buy a laptop or something without anything on it. No OS, no crapware, no nothing. I've already bought licenses for the software which requires it, so why pay for another Windows license?

Actually, not smart. I didn't bother for my first laptop, and it died a month after the manufacturer's warranty ran out. Motherboard fried.
you sir need to be schooled in the way of the company service plan,these service plans are never honored(I should know working for Radioshack in which a main part of everyday is suckering everyone into buying one) unless everything is absolutely perfect, the fact that I upgraded my memory would have already voided the $100+ plan to protect it against manufacture defect. (note: this would be due to my opening the case and changing something)

you sir need to be schooled in the way of the company service plan,these service plans are never honored(I should know working for Radioshack in which a main part of everyday is suckering everyone into buying one) unless everything is absolutely perfect, the fact that I upgraded my memory would have already voided the $100+ plan to protect it against manufacture defect. (note: this would be due to my opening the case and changing something)[/QUOTE]

It depends. I put more memory in my laptop, reformatted and did a clean XP install, and Best Buy still replaced my motherboard when my modem fried. It wasn't even a manufacturer defect, it was due to lightning.

Personally I wouldn't get it again. The only reason I got the plan was because it was $1800 and modems are prone to be hit by lightning. It's always a crapshoot as to whether or not you'll get your money out of it.

I've had to replace a camera for a customer that had obvious water damage. He was just able to tell the General Manager that he never got it wet, while maintaining a straight face. So getting the service plan to cough up new equipment is not that hard.

fade

Staff member
I don't know about BB, but the Dell and Apple plans never seem to fail to pay for themselves. Hell, I dropped my Powerbook a few years ago, and Applecare still replaced the damaged HDD, AND straightened out the obvious ding on the case. And they polished the screen, removing the keyboard impressions in the anti-glare coating.

i got one on my desktop i7 at the time being half the cost of a system at the time....but at just under half the cost of the device...it was a little steep for my netbook

C

Chazwozel

People buy computers from Best Buy, that's cute. I've been buying nothing but bare bones systems or parts for years.

I don't know about BB, but the Dell and Apple plans never seem to fail to pay for themselves. Hell, I dropped my Powerbook a few years ago, and Applecare still replaced the damaged HDD, AND straightened out the obvious ding on the case. And they polished the screen, removing the keyboard impressions in the anti-glare coating.
^this. The Apple Care Plan is garbage for the iPhone, but the most wonderful thing ever for their computers. When I got my parents to switch I made them buy one. Apple has worked wonders, and the amount of tech support calls I get from my mom has dropped 98%.

Status
Not open for further replies.