[Movies] Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
I wonder how well Thanos will translate. You've got to have this baddie who's frightening, yet intentionally waxes sappy and a little goofy.

If he's not created by Hank Pym, there's really no point.
It wouldn't be the first time Marvel decided to change Ultron's backstory a bit. In the cartoon movie, Next Avengers, they removed the whole Pym relationship and made it so Tony Stark created Ultron by himself, only for him to go rogue and kill most of the Avengers.

In the new series, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, they made Ultron a co-op development of Tony and Pym, with Tony being the one to come up with the process of putting in human brain patterns, while Pym used his own brain patterns and came up with the design.

It wouldn't be unheard of for them to simply have Tony Stark be the creator, maybe attempting to design a new autonomous suit AI, only for it to gain awareness and turn on him, reforming itself into a look closer to the classic Ultron. They even have a story already similar to this in the comics, with Tony's "Renaissance Armor" being corrupted by the "Ultron Imperative", gaining sentience and attempting to merge/kill Tony.

S

Soliloquy

I wonder how well Thanos will translate. You've got to have this baddie who's frightening, yet intentionally waxes sappy and a little goofy.
He will translate well if Joss Whedon writes the script. He will translate horribly if anyone else writes the script.

That is all.

It wouldn't be the first time Marvel decided to change Ultron's backstory a bit. In the cartoon movie, Next Avengers, they removed the whole Pym relationship and made it so Tony Stark created Ultron by himself, only for him to go rogue and kill most of the Avengers.

In the new series, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, they made Ultron a co-op development of Tony and Pym, with Tony being the one to come up with the process of putting in human brain patterns, while Pym used his own brain patterns and came up with the design.

It wouldn't be unheard of for them to simply have Tony Stark be the creator, maybe attempting to design a new autonomous suit AI, only for it to gain awareness and turn on him, reforming itself into a look closer to the classic Ultron. They even have a story already similar to this in the comics, with Tony's "Renaissance Armor" being corrupted by the "Ultron Imperative", gaining sentience and attempting to merge/kill Tony.
But how much can you change a character and have it still remain the same character. The fact that Ultron's brain is based off of Hank Pym's brain is what separates him from just being your run of the mill killer robot.

What if Tony and Bruce make the robot, Bruce uploads his brain patterns and his hulk mutation makes the robot unstable turning him into a villain?

But how much can you change a character and have it still remain the same character. The fact that Ultron's brain is based off of Hank Pym's brain is what separates him from just being your run of the mill killer robot.
How many killer robots have we really gotten in the new Marvel universe though? Ones that would be used for comparison?

I guess you can count The Destroyer, but he didn't have much of a personality, being a massive set of armor filled with magical fire.

Ultron can still have his personality, it just will be hinted to form on it's own, rather then being based on Pym. If a person can't live without Ultron being based on brainwaves, then they could just use Tony's, which could end up working out better in the end.

S

Soliloquy

How many killer robots have we really gotten in the new Marvel universe though? Ones that would be used for comparison?

I guess you can count The Destroyer, but he didn't have much of a personality, being a massive set of armor filled with magical fire.

Ultron can still have his personality, it just will be hinted to form on it's own, rather then being based on Pym. If a person can't live without Ultron being based on brainwaves, then they could just use Tony's, which could end up working out better in the end.
I don't think people coming to the movie would only compare Ultron to other killer robots in the Marvel Universe.

fade

Staff member
If you're going to say that the Pym connection will only matter to comic nerds, then why bother calling him Ultron at all by the same reasoning? Let's just call him Fart Daisies the Macho Machine.

What if it were Tony's brain patterns? All of Tony's brilliance, narcissism, and self-importance (for lack of a better term) without any of the life experiences that made him a hero...who was designed to hold his own against The Avengers.

I don't think people coming to the movie would only compare Ultron to other killer robots in the Marvel Universe.
I get that, I should have been more clear, I just don't understand how they would be "Oh, another run of the mill killer robot, ho hum" when it seems pretty obvious to me that sooner or later the guy with the robot suits and advanced AIs (Jarvis) would sooner or later make a autonomous robot that goes nuts.

And really, what was so special about Ultron in the first place that would make people come in and be "Oh this killer robot that wants to murder it's creator is so fresh and new!"

If you're going to say that the Pym connection will only matter to comic nerds, then why bother calling him Ultron at all by the same reasoning? Let's just call him Fart Daisies the Macho Machine.
If you want to play the "if they change this, why not just change everything?!" game, then you can't just cherry pick. I'll start:

If Black Widow's not an ex-KGB agent, then why not just use Mockingbird?!

If Ant Man and Wasp aren't founding Avengers, why not just call the team The Super Hero Squad?!

OR

If you're going to say that the family connection will only matter to mythology nerds, then why bother calling them Thor and Loki at all by the same reasoning? Let's just call them Mr. Angrypants Longhair and Fangirl Bait.

If you want to play the "if they change this, why not just change everything?!" game, then you can't just cherry pick. I'll start:

If Ant Man and Wasp aren't founding Avengers, why not just call the team The Super Hero Squad?!
Ant Man and Wasp were never founding members.

Because Ultron is the classic killer robot of the Avengers. Obviously they want to have a connection, and Fart Daisies the Macho Machine does not really carry that connection.

Ivan Vanko wouldn't have worked in Iron Man 2 as the Crimson Dynamo, so they could have called him the Other Suit Guy, but that really didn't carry any connection, so they instead made his weapons into whips and used the name Whiplash, another famous Iron Man villain.

Ant Man and Wasp were never founding members.

See there? Next to Loki's hand in the first issue of The Avengers ever created? That would be Ant Man and The Wasp. Shit, Wasp even gave the team its name. They were founding Ultimates as well.

But no, go on about how vital Pym is to Ultron. You're clearly a massive comic book fan with a deep understanding of Avengers characters and continuity.

I wouldn't care if they tweaked the origin to remove Hank entirely, but the fact that his brain is built off that of his creator IS what makes him interesting. Though I don't think Tony would work as well, it would be better than him just being a random killer robot.

Little late there, tex.
A co-worker came up to me while I was typing it out and decided to talk with me for a few minutes, so yes, a little behind. I saw after posting that it was already pointed out. Either way no harm driving the point home.

Ultron being based on the human brain is what makes him interesting. Having the process using a brain other then Hank Pym won't kill the character. It's been done before.

A co-worker came up to me while I was typing it out and decided to talk with me for a few minutes, so yes, a little behind. I saw after posting that it was already pointed out. Either way no harm driving the point home.

Ultron being based on the human brain is what makes him interesting. Having the process using a brain other then Hank Pym won't kill the character. It's been done before.
Late again, read my last post.

fade

Staff member

OR

If you're going to say that the family connection will only matter to mythology nerds, then why bother calling them Thor and Loki at all by the same reasoning? Let's just call them Mr. Angrypants Longhair and Fangirl Bait.
Nope, I didn't say change one thing might as well change everything. I was countering the point that "this change only matters to comic nerds" with "it all really only matters to comic nerds".

Nope, I didn't say change one thing might as well change everything. I was countering the point that "this change only matters to comic nerds" with "it all really only matters to comic nerds".
In truth, I don't even think it really matter to comic nerds, unless they are idiots.

"OMG Nick Fury is BLACK? WTF IS THIS SHIT!" is not something I really see often around the comic nerd circles I know.

I still have yet to hear any complaints about the Bifrost turning into some portal dome that shoots people around, rather then a massive rainbow that went between the realms. (the rainbow was kept only as the bridge leading to the dome). If we really have such little faith in comic book nerds accepting any other brain then Hank Pym as the basis behind Ultron, then they would be going nuts over that too.

I seem to recall some fans getting uppity regarding Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin because he was black. Me, I thought he was a great choice. Ditto for Sam Jackson (who would you prefer? *shiver* David Hasselhoff reprising his role as Nick Fury?)

As far as Ultron and Ant-Man are concerned, imagine this: have Ultron be his server robot or something in the Ant-Man movie. He does something towards the end to protect Ant-Man, but does it in such a horrifying way that Pym shuts him down. Credits roll. We return to Ultron...booting back up. Boom, Avengers 2 (or 3).

Okay, and what does that have to do with Ultron?

BTW, Captain America was given "retroactive" founder status in the comics, due to his past exploits, thus why the movie was called "The First Avenger".
No, sparky, previous page. The post you obviously skipped.

Tony's personality is all wrong for feeling guilty about Ultron... i mean you might as well have him slap Pepper for how much sense it would make...

Plus, making Ultron Pym's attempt at imitating Jarvis would work great. Not to mention how you can do all sort of emotional stuff about Ultron taking over Jarvis (great sequel hook there too, also setting things up for the Ultron-Phalanx for another Guardians of the Galaxy film) etc.

I seem to recall some fans getting uppity regarding Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin because he was black. Me, I thought he was a great choice. Ditto for Sam Jackson (who would you prefer? *shiver* David Hasselhoff reprising his role as Nick Fury?)
He was all wrong for the role because he looked like a big, buff bodybuilder instead of a fat looking guy who's stronger then a sumo wrestler...

Tony's personality is all wrong for feeling guilty about Ultron... i mean you might as well have him slap Pepper for how much sense it would make...

Plus, making Ultron Pym's attempt at imitating Jarvis would work great. Not to mention how you can do all sort of emotional stuff about Ultron taking over Jarvis (great sequel hook there too, also setting things up for the Ultron-Phalanx for another Guardians of the Galaxy film) etc.

He was all wrong for the role because he looked like a big, buff bodybuilder instead of a fat looking guy who's stronger then a sumo wrestler...
Michael Clark Duncan as the Kingpin was the best part of Daredevil. He was perfectly cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.