Ask me anything.... About South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspired by Dave's request. You guys normally hear a lot about it in the news, mostly negative, some of it true, some of it not entirely accurate.

It's a great place, beset by a host of problems, but still a place any traveller will just have to visit!

So come at me :)

How racist is the average population?

Do you have a pet monkey?

If you do not have a pet monkey, can you get one? This forum needs someone with a monkey.

How racist is the average population?

Do you have a pet monkey?

If you do not have a pet monkey, can you get one? This forum needs someone with a monkey.
Sadly I do not have a pet monkey. Most people just spank one from time to time. I can, however testify to the fact that I have been bitten by one, after many shots of Stroh rum with a traffic officer. But that is another story.

Now seriously, racism. Obviously, the very nature of apartheid was the root of racism in SA. Since the heady days of 1994, it is sad to see that racism has a new face. Now bearing in mind that I am a white South African, you might want to put my opinions through a charcoal filter.

I came from a liberal family, but have found racism creeping in due to circumstance, it is not something I am proud of. I guess it is a knee jerk reaction to becoming a second class citizen in my own country, and to be frank, the tables have turned. There is a lot of anti-white sentiment being fuelled in SA right now, especially since many white remain part of the 'haves' and a majority of the 'have-nots' are black people. Many promises made by the ANC government to the masses have not been met, and so sadly the whites are a scapegoat for those broken promises.

Truth be told, black people have not seen their expectations met, if anything, social development is now going backwards, and the pressing problems of unemployment, health, education and other important pillars of a developing nation are not being dealt with. Add to that rife corruption, indifference and mismanagement in government, and it makes for an awful lot of very unhappy people.

Have you ever seen Charlize Theron in person?
Nope. She hangs with you guys these days :) There are 12 million people in Gauteng province where she hails from.

p.s. still working on killing off those Vuvuzela players, but they may have gotten wind of it, as the cacophony has fallen quiet

Why are you guys so hard on the species living in district 9, that you so derogatorily refer to as "prawns"?

If you came to the US and gained citizenship, would you demand that people call you African-American, just to fuck with people?

Do you have that funky accent that sounds like a drunk australian?

Dave

Staff member
What is something you think every American needs to know about South Africa? What are some questions/concerns you have about us?

Frankly, I think the whole thing is very interesting. I'm always looking to see and learn about other countries/cultures.

Did you see Chris Rock in concert? And if not, did you know anyone who saw him in concert? Because he was totally there once, I saw it on TV.

What's the popular beer down there? Is it actually any good?
mainstream lagers are Castle, Amstel, Black Label, Windhoek and a few others. They are Ok! There are some others which are really good but I'm a fan of beer on tap, bitters like Bosuns and Forresters, love that stuff.

Dave, I think that Americans need to know that SA has its problems but we don't want to be treated as a basket case like the rest of Africa can be. The day I see aid streaming in here I'll be gone.

Americans always enjoy being here, and we like having them because they are by nature social animals, and South Africans are gregarious and friendly towards visitors. Just don't say ' oooh this looks just like Colorado' ;-) we are rather house prou and will tell you that in fact Colorado was based on this hehe

If you came to the US and gained citizenship, would you demand that people call you African-American, just to fuck with people?

Do you have that funky accent that sounds like a drunk australian?
if I came to the US, I would demand that people call me 'Supreme Leader and Conqueror, praise be unto him' :D

I am of the opinion that if you move to a country, and you become a citizen there, that is your identity. Your roots shape you, but that is not who you are. It pisses me off. But African American could be fun :)

It was a high alcohol content Malt Liquor imported from SA. I drank it a couple of times in college. It was 22 years ago, they may have gone out of business.

Apparently Gilgamesh has been holding out on you.

http://gilgameshbrewing.com/post/507608234/gilgamesh-brewings-black-mamba-wins-peoples-choice[DOUBLEPOST=1353222632][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and on topic. You people call traffic lights "robots." Why?
hahaha sounds like its your own back yard where it is made.

I don't know why we call them robots, but we also call them traffic lights as well. But we don't know why you guys 'back up' when the rest of the world simply 'reverses'. And why you fill up with gas when it is a liquid. ;-) Life would be boring if we all said the same things!

Where in SA are you from/do you live now?
My brother's married a South African woman and they moved there, don't see them all that much these days :( Probably going to come visiting again towards the end of next year :)

Dave

Staff member
Why do south africans sound like australians with 4 or 5 lemon wedges stuffed in their cheeks?
It's a little known fact that South Africa was founded by emigrating Australians. What's even more obscure is the fact that they put lemon wedges in their cheeks during the long voyage so they didn't contract rickets. They would have used limes, but the British had cornered the market and the Australians weren't fond of the "limeys".

True story.

Status
Not open for further replies.