Export thread

April Contest!! - My mom is special!

Dave

Dave

I realize that the March contest is still going on until this coming Monday, but since it's April we're gonna get this month's moving. And it's a good one!

The Contest: In 140 characters or less, tell us why your mom is special. It can be because she cooked you breakfast, it can be because she's beautiful. But let us know why she deserves the Prize!

The Prize: $100 pre-paid Visa card that you can give to your mom on Mother's Day! (May 9th)

Additional Rules:

1. Put all entries in this thread.
  2. You can put in as many entries as you like.
  3. If longer than 140 characters, the entry will be disqualified.
  4. The contest will run through April 23 and a winner will be announced between April 24 & April 30, depending on the number of entries.
  5. Prize will be awarded on May 3 (when I get paid) and I will even pay extra to have it sent as quickly as possible so you can present it to Mom the following Sunday.
  6. If you live in a country that does NOT have Mother's Day the card will be sent regular mail, not super fast expensive mail.
  7. Mods are eligible for this contest as I am the sole judge.
  8. As it's my contest, rules and I buy the prize I reserve the right to add or change rules as I see fit when I feel like it. I probably won't do this, but we have too many lawyers on the boards to not cover my ass.
  9. Registered Users only are eligible, but if someone registers solely to win this they are more than welcome.

phil

The Goddamn Batman

My mother is special because she is the inspiration for me to fight crime. Also, shes deeaaaaaaad!

ElJuski

ElJuski

My mom is special because she was the one that stuck around.

Cajungal

Cajungal

She taught me when to care deeply and when not to give a shit.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Mom gave birth to me
Then she got hit by a car
Now she is worm food

Ross

Ross

Whenever I come home she makes a special macaroni and cheese and hot dog dish just the way I like it.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

My Mom taught me about the birds and the bees, leading to my desire to create a avian/insect hybrid.

Hylian

Hylian

My mom is special because she has always been there for me no matter what. Even when I messed up she was there to correct me but it was always in love and kindness.

24 characters over limit.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

It takes a special kind of lady to raise me. Unfortunately for her, she had no choice!

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

My mother is special to me because she's currently being helpful in getting me, I mean, her, a hundred dollars #abusingcontestsandhashtags

Jake

Jake

Your mom is special because she does that thing with her tongue.

Vrii

Vrii

My mom is special because she does that thing with her tongue.:eyebrows:

Morphine

Morphine

My mom is special because she takes crap from no one. Just mine. When I was a baby.

Cajungal

Cajungal

She didn't shed a single tear when all 3 of her kids left the church that she loves. She knows that we're still great people.

Kitty Sinatra

My mom is special because she drinks as much wine as I do, making for an awesome night of revelry

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

At only 22 years old, my mom bravely faced raising a child with leukemia. Then 21 years later, helped the same child face Guillain-Barre.

Creature

My mom is special because she calls herself "Gangsta Bitch Barbie". No lies. She is a beast.

Wasabi Poptart

When I was a baby, mom put a shotgun to the nose of a guy who was trying to break into our apt while my dad was at work. Mom is a badass.

BoringMetaphor

Survived accident that killed 9, had brain damage, was in a coma for 8 weeks, learned to walk again, then raised 5 kids including quadruplets

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

my mom is special because she made me lose the game. That's right... THE game.. And she did it on purpose..

Rob King

Rob King

My mother isn't just a mother, wife, or a nurse. Through tragedy she re-discovered herself, and became the most incredible woman I know.

Cajungal

Cajungal

She was a queen of Mardi Gras.

Rob King

Rob King

My mother woke me up before eleven, cleaning and vacuuming my apartment. I think it's proof that she doesn't love me.

Gusto

Gusto

My mom is cool because she can beat me in MarioKart DS nearly half the time.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

My mom is special because she believed in me when no one else did.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

my mom is special because even though we were poor, she made sure we had a rich life

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

My mom is special because she would kiss my boo-boos

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

my mom is special, because when I was feeling blue, she would make me her special potato soup to cheer me up.

Wasabi Poptart

My mom is special because she taught me to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

My mom not only taught me that I could do anything I wanted in life, but also that I have to get up off my ass and make it happen myself.

Espy

Espy

After losing her husband 22 years ago, my mom went on to raise three young boys and teach us how to be men. Her love impacts me every day.

Andromache

mom was a fuck up, so was dad,
she died 1st, made him feel bad,
when his mind went, early love memories of her were all he had.
He died glad

LordRavage

My mom is special because they give her medicine and put her in a padded room with a white jacket.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

My mom always was more concerned with teaching me to learn from my mistakes, rather than sitting in judgment over me when I made them.

LordRavage

My mom is the exact oppisite of Tinwhistler's mom.

Hylian

Hylian

My mom is special because she didn't kill me when I was growing up.

Wasabi Poptart

I'm a mom and I'm special. My son says I'm cool. He also thinks I have nice hair. :D

@Li3n

@Li3n

My mother is special because her parents where siblings... and now she can't talk good. :p

Null

Null

My mom told me she wished she'd gotten an abortion instead of being stupid enough to have me. In her defense, she didn't mean it, she was just pissed over some stupid teenage thing I did.

Matt²

My mom was special because she nursed me with love, cared for me when I was sick and well, taught me to sing & encouraged me to love others.

(my mom has passed on but I have a special someone I can give it to if I win)

Krisken

Krisken

After 33 years, my mother still bakes me a cake for my birthday that she hates to make, just because she loves me.

Morphine

Morphine

My mom is special because she thinks "off from work due to illness" means "day to make her clean her room"

Cajungal

Cajungal

She pulled my brother and I out of school when there was "more interesting stuff going on" outside of it.

Gusto

Gusto

She pulled my brother and I out of school when there was "more interesting stuff going on" outside of it.
Honestly one of the best memories I have of my mom is when she skipped work and I skipped school without the other's knowledge. So when I came home and she was there we were both like:

"What are you doing here??"

*narrows eyes*

"Alright, we'll call it a wash."

Wasabi Poptart

My mom's so special, she rode the short bus to school.

Bowielee

Bowielee

"Don't ever go around thinking you're any better or any worse than anyone else on this earth."- My Mom.

Dave

Dave

Remember, the contest is open until THIS FRIDAY!

Don't forget to get in your entries to win $100 for your mom for Mother's Day!

Piotyr

Piotyr

She gives people more chances than she's earned dollars in her life.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

She taught me that half-assing something is worse than not doing it at all.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

She taught me that there's always someone out there smarter or better than me at something, but that doesn't make it not worth doing.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

My mom taught me the value of making things by hand.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

My mom taught me that the most important ingredient in a recipe is love.

makare

My mom has made my life better by being a constant reminder of what not to do.

She was the first in our family to go to college. Them learnins hard!

I respect her because she hasn’t had a drink in 14 years. Impressive since that covers MY teenage years.

I love her because when the cops showed up she said everything was fine and we didn’t need assistance from the police thank-you-very-much.

Those are all different entries.... makare knows what's up.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

My mom is special because she keeps my feet to the ground and my head in the clouds.

Math242

Math242

My mom is special because she STILL talks to me after all i've done

Cajungal

Cajungal

Mom followed a teenager home who nearly hit her in traffic and lectured him about safety and respect. Heehee

Bowielee

Bowielee

I keep reading the thread title in the voice of Ralph Wiggum. And that would make my mom giggle.

Hylian

Hylian

My mom just had to put her dog down and yet she is still finds a way to care more about other peoples needs first

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

My mom did not continue the cycle of physical and verbal abuse she was raised with. She loves her children unconditionally.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I keep reading the thread title in the voice of Ralph Wiggum. And that would make my mom giggle.
And now I can't stop doing this. :laugh:

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

My mom isn't as disappointed in me as I am.

Dave

Dave

Last day to sign up for this! Don't miss out!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Mine is special because my favorite dream of her is when I tore open her throat with my teeth and she gurgled like a murloc. I laughed for days. Noone makes me laugh like Mom.

Dave

Dave

Aw! Too bad that one was too late! It was beautiful in its imagery.

Dave

Dave

Ready to hear who won this thing? HUH?

My methods of choosing a winner.

1) I take all of the entries and put them in an Excel spreadsheet. I give them all a random number using "=rand()" and then sort the entries low to high.
2) Next I take every 2 entries and determine which one is better using the following criteria:
  • How sweet/real is it?
  • As it's going on a card, would mom like to read it? (And I used my mom & wife as a template for this.)
3) After I went through those I sorted again by the random number and then did the best of two again. I kept doing this until I got my top 10.
4) Then I took these 10 to several people in my office and they chose their favorite 3.
5) The one which had the most votes is the winner.

Please note that I didn't read through these before and since they were in Excel I had no idea who wrote them until after the winners were chosen.

And your top 3 are:

#3 - "My mom is special because she believed in me when no one else did." - TINWHISTLER!

#2 - ""Don't ever go around thinking you're any better or any worse than anyone else on this earth."- My Mom." - BOWIELEE!

And the winner of the contest is....

WINNER: "After losing her husband 22 years ago, my mom went on to raise three young boys and teach us how to be men. Her love impacts me every day." - ESPY!!

On Monday after getting Espy's name & address from a PM, I will send to him overnight a Visa Gift Card in the amount of $100 along with a Mother's Day greeting telling how he won the contest and it will include the winning entry. He can present all of this to mom for Mother's Day.

Take tissues.

Great contest, everyone! I will be starting May's a tad early to get people rolling.