Apple will never satisfy my lust for cheap, powerful hardware

Since I'm on the S cycle instead of the initial iPhone X, here's hoping they come to their senses and restore the headphone jack next year. :p
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
Also I'm still on the (original non-S) iPhone 5, figured I'd get a 6s when the 7 finally came out. Now I find myself interested in the 7, mainly because it shoots RAW, has a wider aperture, optical stabilization, and of course the "quad-core" A10.

--Patrick

The future is to be port-free, fully-sealed, fully-wireless, pretty much leaving iPhone users at the mercy of the cloud and Apple stores.

A move to Android is somewhere in my future. Not trusting all my shit to Apple's servers, and not assuming wireless is going to just work, especially with my PC. They want to cater to people who have Apple everything and I'm just not going there. I don't even like their touch screen iPods; I keep buying the old clickwheel versions, but those are degrading and eventually I'm going to have to move up to the iPhone Jr current iPod.

I personally dislike the idea of taking out the headphone jack and having to use another connection to just allow it again. I have hearing aids (got them before I turned 35, genetics suck sometimes) and cannot use ANY standard BlueTooth headset because I already have something in my ears. I have a headset that (wirelessly) connects up to my hearing aids that also has a microphone on it that uses a standard headset jack connection that I plug into my phone.

Now, granted, Apple dropping it doesn't affect me personally as I have an Android phone and don't ever plan on going to Apple, but there are others in this world with the same hearing issues I have or those who are deaf and use a microphone jack to do speech-to-text conversion. Is Apple going to guarantee that any headset with a microphone jack will connect up and "just work" with this new Lightning connector adaptor?

As an aside, yes there is a BlueTooth connector for my hearing aids, but it is a very large, unwieldy box that hangs from your neck and apparently has somewhat of a delay in it at the moment. The company that makes my hearing aids are working on a better one, but it's not out yet (the last I knew at least) and is I believe another $400 on top of a phone and hearing aid purchase (my headset is only like $200).

Last edited:
I know I've complained many times about the same thing, but on friday I was listening to podcasts at work and my battery went low. I should not have to spend $40 on extra equipment to rectify that situation while still listening to my podcasts. It is beyond absurd.

fade

Staff member
Completely port free and sealed against the environment is a good thing in my opinion. It doesn't have to be locked to a specific server to make this happen.

Though I found that funny, in all fairness, I really want true wireless ear buds, but none of the ones on the market I've looked at warrant the price.

Bragi - high-end one fits well, nice battery, nice list of features, BT signal not as good as advertised, horrible software integration; cheap one integrates better, has very few features, $$ for what it is
Samsung - only works on the latest Samsung phones (I'm an iPhone guy, and if I switched, I would probably want a Nexus more), bad battery, but decent audio and features
Bose - great for sports/gym, good audio, and media playback and battery, bad for phone calls, but no other fitness integration or other useful features
Apple - Awesome phone integration, bad, bad sound for price, based on Earpods so they'll fall out of my ears

We'll maybe get there someday, and that's the day I'll happily get a jackless phone.

fade

Staff member
As much as I like the idea of a jackless phone (GASP), have they done something about the compression problems inherent to bluetooth audio? That's outside of the quality of the headphones themselves. I haven't kept up with it, but hopefully it's gotten better.

Oh, Conan.

As much as I like the idea of a jackless phone (GASP), have they done something about the compression problems inherent to bluetooth audio? That's outside of the quality of the headphones themselves. I haven't kept up with it, but hopefully it's gotten better.
Apple's new W1 chip is supposed to do something special, but since there aren't any in stores yet to try, and since the link on the store is dead, I don't know when we'll all get to find out what's so W1derful about them.

--Patrick

Apple's new W1 chip is supposed to do something special, but since there aren't any in stores yet to try, and since the link on the store is dead, I don't know when we'll all get to find out what's so W1derful about them.

--Patrick
According to the Ars Technica review of the phone, the W1 does in fact improve on both the pairing and compression quality of the datastream, and since it is based in the headphones alone, will work in both of those ways with any up-to-date Apple device that uses Bluetooth back to the 4 year-old iPhone 5. Which is pretty cool.

Naturally, they're going to try licensing the chip out and make money from there, but improvements in pairing standards and signal fidelity are a big need in the wireless headphone side, so good for them?

Seems like there are rumors the G8 will drop the headphone jack, too, in favor of USB-C.
I'm kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop, and by that I mean ... every future iPad, iPod, MacBook, MacBookPro, etc. I mean, does anyone really think it's going to be confined to "just" the iPhone?

--Patrick

Anyone remember how the first Android phone, the HTC Dream, lacked a headphone port, and had to use a dongle? Yeah, that didn't work out very well.
I remember how much of a success the Newton was(n't), too...but then about 15 years later it was all iPhone/iPad. Was 8yrs enough time to wait before trying to axe the headphone port again? We'll see.

--Patrick

I was just thinking that I've hardly - if - ever - seen BT a selfie stick. All the ones I know plug into the audio jack....

Really? My daughter has a cheap $5 one, and it uses bluetooth.
All I see now are the bluetooth ones it seems. But then I don't really go looking for them, so maybe the headphone ones are more common elsewhere.

Oh, and keep in mind that bluetooth outside the US might be more expensive for a variety of reasons, so the headphone jacks might be more common in Bubble181's country than in the US.

The first Apple iTunes phone did not have a jack either. I had an iTunes Moto-Razr. And I lost the USB dongle for the headphones with in days.

GasBandit

Staff member
Saw an interesting take on the debate, in a comic today.

Galaxy Note 7s exploding comes from negligence. It is accidental, and addressable. But getting rid of the headphone jack was intentional malice.

After finally being completely fed up with all of the Apple iOS crap - like the fact that I either have to email photos and videos to myself or use iCloud (which is soooooo secure), etc. - that I ordered two Samsung Galaxy S7s for my wife and myself. I think Apple knows. So far today I've had to unlock my account due to security reasons, reset my password twice, re-unlock my account, confirm my payment information, re-unlock my account, agree to new terms and conditions twice, and change my password again - but the device transfer is underway.

I either have to email photos and videos to myself or use iCloud (which is soooooo secure), etc.
AirDrop isn't working for you?
I'm surprised, though. iPhones usually at least show up as "I are a camera!" if you just plug them into USB (much like any smartphone), allowing you to import photos through whatever camera software is installed.

--Patrick