Apple will never satisfy my lust for cheap, powerful hardware

It stopped working for me via USB about a year ago, and nothing would restore it (I suspect that it's more of a Windows issue than an Apple issue), but whatever it was, it was the last straw, and now the transfer is done and I can say goodbye to Apple forever.

(I suspect that it's more of a Windows issue than an Apple issue)
Yeah, usually the driver gets broken during an iTunes or Windows upgrade, and then you have to update/reinstall it or else go through a bunch of steps to get it working again.
But hey, whatever it takes to get your data back. I get to watch enough people break down when all their stuff goes away because they never backed it up anywhere. Don't be that guy!

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Knocking Apple aside, it is kind a dated connector that is prone to wear and poor connections. The newer ones are better, but I can name quite a few 3.5mm jacks I've owned that have lost their grip. Right now the aux port in my car is dead due to normal use, because the spring clips inside are fatigued.

Knocking Apple aside, it is kind a dated connector that is prone to wear and poor connections. The newer ones are better, but I can name quite a few 3.5mm jacks I've owned that have lost their grip. Right now the aux port in my car is dead due to normal use, because the spring clips inside are fatigued.
ANY standard can be implemented poorly, but that doesn't make the standard itself bad.

Let's just be glad that it appears (for now) that Bluetooth is easy to build a receiver for. Worry about them plugging the "analog hole" in DRM. That would suck a lot more. Or can they do that already with Bluetooth? I honestly don't know.

can they do that already with Bluetooth? I honestly don't know.
Well, they could conceivably include something that says "disable Bluetooth output" whenever DRM is enabled, the question is how to signal the toggle.
Given its pervasiveness, though, I'd assume that anyone who tries to remove the ability to use Bluetooth will find themselves on a short trip to nobody-would-want-to-buy-it land.

--Patrick

Bluetooth is fairly low fidelity, which is why Apple went to the trouble of making the wireless audio chip they're touting as a better than Bluetooth replacement. Nobody is going to bother turning off the Bluetooth audio profile A2DP.

iOS 10, fucking hell. All this widget bullshit and lockscreen changes. I only updated my phone because the update was eating a huge chunk of space. Now it's stuck this way and apparently my phone is too old to take advantage of features that would change it back.

I'm even finding out about new features I don't even have on my 5c because it's outdated and that sound awful. Like the home screen bringing up stuff just by picking the phone up? Fuck you, Apple, what if I'm trying to be discreet?

Not sure I'm getting another iPhone when I have the money to cover what an upgrade won't.

I miss slide-to-unlock. Mainly because I don't use widgets.
I want to know what sort of person thinks "OMG Widgets! Squeeeee!" is really like.

--Patrick

I have mixed feelings so far. I was annoyed at first how I had to press the home button twice to turn on the phone, but then realized how often I was previously annoyed when I just wanted to look at the notifications, but touch ID was quick enough that it recognized my thumb. Wish my phone had raise to wake, but it's a 6+, and the raise to wake is only available on phones from 2015 and onward, and I'm skipping the 6s and 7. So the double press is actually a benefit so far.

I'm getting used to the swipeable interface. I'm still swiping up to get the camera from the lock screen, but then I have to press a button, whereas I should instead simply swipe left to get right to the camera. Swiping at the home screen has a few useful features. It's just another thing to get used to I suppose.

I have mixed feelings so far. I was annoyed at first how I had to press the home button twice to turn on the phone, but then realized how often I was previously annoyed when I just wanted to look at the notifications, but touch ID was quick enough that it recognized my thumb. Wish my phone had raise to wake, but it's a 6+, and the raise to wake is only available on phones from 2015 and onward, and I'm skipping the 6s and 7. So the double press is actually a benefit so far.

I'm getting used to the swipeable interface. I'm still swiping up to get the camera from the lock screen, but then I have to press a button, whereas I should instead simply swipe left to get right to the camera. Swiping at the home screen has a few useful features. It's just another thing to get used to I suppose.
You would have found yourself going crazy with the 6S. Touch ID is so fast on it before iOS10 I rarely ever even saw a glimpse of it. Even now, it's a one press to unlock.

Fuck you, Apple, what if I'm trying to be discreet?
Press the power button? Turn off the feature?

get a watch :troll:

fade

Staff member
Yeah I'm not loving the push to unlock thing so far. Swipe to unlock has been so trained now. I'm still on a 5 (no bloody A, B, C or S). I keep thinking about buying a new phone, but the 5 still does everything just fine.

Yeah I'm not loving the push to unlock thing so far. Swipe to unlock has been so trained now. I'm still on a 5 (no bloody A, B, C or S). I keep thinking about buying a new phone, but the 5 still does everything just fine.
I still very much regret turning in my iphone 5 when I upgraded. It was "up to $250 for iPhone 5" and I had a verizon version with 128GB.

They gave me $90. An absolute scam because you had to turn in the phone before they would "evaluate it" and there was no recourse once delivered.

On the other hand, I switched from Verizon with limited data to Sprint unlimited everything for $50/mo so I'm waaaay out ahead financially, but if I could buy back my old 5 for that $90 I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I can see the frustration if you don't have Touch ID.

I still very much regret turning in my iphone 5 when I upgraded. It was "up to $250 for iPhone 5" and I had a verizon version with 128GB.

They gave me $90. An absolute scam because you had to turn in the phone before they would "evaluate it" and there was no recourse once delivered.

On the other hand, I switched from Verizon with limited data to Sprint unlimited everything for $50/mo so I'm waaaay out ahead financially, but if I could buy back my old 5 for that $90 I'd do it in a heartbeat.
An iPhone 5 128GB second hand still sells for more than $90 on eBay; you were clearly ripped off.

fade

Staff member
Well. That's odd. My phone just started buzzing like crazy, froze up, and then shut down. Now it won't turn on. It's like I cursed it by saying it was still fine.

Well. That's odd. My phone just started buzzing like crazy, froze up, and then shut down. Now it won't turn on. It's like I cursed it by saying it was still fine.
I hope that's not liquid exposure, cuz that's what you describe usually means.
Either that, or someone called you while your battery was really, really low, and the extra battery drain caused it to think "empty."
My 5 is still going strong. I've had it in a case since day 1. It's a black model, but being in the case has slightly discolored the black finish into a sort of deep blue gunmetal. It looks really, really sweet.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
I managed to reset it. It's fine now. It went nuts when a Skype for Business call came in. We have had no end of trouble from Skype for Business.

Press the power button? Turn off the feature?
I don't have a model that can do those things yet; I just don't want to reach that point. It feels like added conveniences cause additional inconvenience. Windows 10 came loaded with piles of garbage, but at least I could get in and turn that shit off. Apple's philosophy is to like it their way or get fucked.

I have some new earpods that have a lightning connector on the end & they sound pretty good, better than my last pair (which were the standard 3.5 mm jack ones).

Glad I didn't realize it until after it was over. Reading the live blogs was much faster than watching it would have been.

Thinner, lighter, reasonably powerful, costing twice as much as anything else with similar computing power, but no one else has as good a display. The touchbar is neat, and the trackpad is huge. Time will tell if these prove to be valuable enough to justify the price increase.

Glad they've finally come back to making darker laptops.

Still can't justify the cost, and I really wish they'd add a 4k display model, or a 17" 4k model.

Still can't justify the cost, and I really wish they'd add a 4k display model, or a 17" 4k model.
I'm not sure Apple is ever going to make another 17" model.
As for a 15in 4k display, that would be really cool...but I hesitate to think what the replacement cost would be. Ouch.
(I know replacement 4k displays for other models can be had for ~$120, but I doubt they're the same gamut/brightness/etc)

--Patrick

Glad I didn't realize it until after it was over. Reading the live blogs was much faster than watching it would have been.

Thinner, lighter, reasonably powerful, costing twice as much as anything else with similar computing power, but no one else has as good a display. The touchbar is neat, and the trackpad is huge. Time will tell if these prove to be valuable enough to justify the price increase.

Glad they've finally come back to making darker laptops.

I couldn't see myself buying one anytime soon, but I would certainly put a maxed out 15" on my wish list next time my manager asks if I need a new laptop.

The large trackpad is interesting to me. I like the large one on my current 15" MBP (the first one with the force touch), and it's frustrating to go to someone's thinkpad where the trackpad is a lot smaller (and they turned of trackpoint for some reason :rage:).

I finally upgraded to iOS10. I really wish I did the research to know they got rid of sliding to unlock the phone. That's about 7 years of muscle memory that I have to undo now for no good reason. What is the benefit of completely removing this?

Oh and music is no longer in the central control panel. Glad they made room for night shift. That's used way more. Thanks apple for confirming that I never should buy one of your products again.

What is the benefit of completely removing this?
Supposedly it was so they could make swipe left for camera (don't miss that important shot!), and swipe right for widgets (get your most important info without unlocking your phone!). I was the same as you, but now whenever I use my kid's older iPod, it takes a moment or two for me to figure out why pressing the home button doesn't give me the passcode screen.
Oh and music is no longer in the central control panel. Glad they made room for night shift.
My phone (5) doesn't support night shift. :(
What I miss is a way to have my phone only show me the music that's on my phone, no online music, no U2, nothing else. Yes I know I can go a couple levels deep and only show "Downloaded Music" but it's not the same.

--Patrick

And they completely ruined the gif keyboard. Go fuck yourself apple.
...here's your pitchfork.

Me, I'm still waiting to see if they finally do another quad-core SFF machine (which they haven't done since October 2012).
EDIT: Yes, I know I can probably build my own, but generally not with as high-end hardware, and certainly not at < 40W.

--Patrick

Last edited: