Another blown call

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crono1224

Anyone who is watching the Miami-Pitts game saw another instance of refs not doing their job correctly. Ben fumbled into the end-zone and rather than determining possession then saying it was a touchdown, they merely said possession didn't matter it was a touchdown der der. So when the challenge came and lo and behold it was a fumble they said welp we can't determine possession from the video so here you go pitts you get it again grats.

Dave

Staff member
These calls never fall the way of the Miamis, Oaklands or Detroits.

And it was obvious Ben fumbled it into the end zone and it would have been either a touchdown or touchback depending on who ended up with it. We didn't have the game live in our area so all I've seen is the fumble and the kick, not the aftermath of the fumble.

I thought the final turnover to the Ravens Bills game was bad too, I think it was pretty obvious that the receiver had ceased his forward motion. He was being carried by his team mates when the ball was stripped by Lewsi.

C

Chazwozel

Anyone who is watching the Miami-Pitts game saw another instance of refs not doing their job correctly. Ben fumbled into the end-zone and rather than determining possession then saying it was a touchdown, they merely said possession didn't matter it was a touchdown der der. So when the challenge came and lo and behold it was a fumble they said welp we can't determine possession from the video so here you go pitts you get it again grats.
NFL backs officials' handling of Roethlisberger play - NFL - Sporting News

A lot of red tape mumbo jumbo, but it looks like everything was according to the rules and fair.

Haters gonna hate.

Dave

Staff member
So what happened? Did they blow the whistle and not let the play continue? Looking at replays I can't see how they missed this.

And the fact that they aren't going to review it is no surprise. They very, very seldom do and they almost always back the refs. It's like the Ref's Union the way they circle the wagons and then defend, deflect and de-something else clever.

The only people who think this was fair and right are Steeler fans.

Dave

Staff member
In my mind it's still a blown call because they are supposed to let the play follow through on something like this. The fact that they stopped the play before finding out who recovered the fumble is in my mind still a blown call.

Miami got screwed.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Great link though, Tin. I had been looking for that in HD.

except the original call was that he fumbled in the endzone which would not matter who came up with it. Tin you got it 100% right. The referees did everything they were supposed to and the challenge system worked out just like it was supposed to, I once again will state If Miami should complain about anything it should be that they allowed themselves to loose the game because of a bad call. Especially since they had the chance to get 14 points in the first 4 minutes of the game, but could only come away with 6.

Dave

Staff member
One of the things that the NFL has talked about in the years past was that they needed to let the plays finish themselves out. Specifically because of things like this.

I see why they make the call but Miami still got screwed on the call. That doesn't mean that they'd have won the game but it would have helped a lot. I know I'd hate to be a referee.

C

crono1224

The problem is that the ref who said touchdown didn't have a good view he had the back of Ben as he dived in. I don't care if it looked like a touchdown it was obvious if they did what they normally do in a scrum to find out who has possession that Miami in fact did. The fact is they instantly called it a touchdown and truth be told it wasn't even close to a touchdown fumble-matic Ben fumbled another one. The issue is a fumble should have been called, possession should have been figured out and then an official challenge should have been made it would have been a lot more fair. If it was overturned due to a touchdown possession would have been moot, but if a touchdown was overturned due to fumble possession matters.

So...the ref should have called a fumble despite seeing what was, from his perspective, a pretty clear touchdown? I think you'd see a lot more complaints about the massive delays caused by refs calling plays based on the worst-case and assuming that each team would challenge.

C

crono1224

The more I watch that video the more convinced I am that it's a touchdown.
The more I watch the video the more I'm convinced Miami got screwed and the refs fucked up.[/QUOTE]

I agree

So...the ref should have called a fumble despite seeing what was, from his perspective, a pretty clear touchdown? I think you'd see a lot more complaints about the massive delays caused by refs calling plays based on the worst-case and assuming that each team would challenge.
Not that but the other ref had a dead on look and he couldn't possibly definitively tell that it was a touch down, there should be a way that ruling is delayed until evidence proves one way or another. Because the ref that couldn't see because Ben was turned away from him called it a TD and said it didn't matter who had possession. The problem exist that on this simple play pretty much decided the game, Miami would have had the ball on the 20 with ~2 mins to go, now granted they could have blown it and went 4-and punt. But that would have meant that Pitts would have to go down the field again.

Status
Not open for further replies.