[Question] Android Apps

I have a new LG G2 (my first real smartphone), and I have practically no apps. I am quite used to the iTunes store due to my iPad, and I find the PlayStore a little lame.

I guess I am asking for some app suggestions. Paid and unpaid. I feel like I am not getting the most out of my phone.

I have Netflix and one or two games. Is there anything new and cool that I should have? I know that @stienman has the G3 so maybe he could suggest a few cool ones.

BTW I did look thru the older post from @klew about the paid apps from 2013.

figmentPez

Staff member
MoboPlayer will play just about any media file you throw at it.

Velis Auto Brightness will give you much better control over your screen brightness than the default.

Dropbox is a great way to access your computer files on the go. If you don't already use Dropbox, let me send you a referral link.

I don't play a lot of games on my phone (since my battery life with the screen on is abysmal) but my favorites thus far have been:
- Plants Vs Zombies
- Jack Lumber
- Contre Jour
- Snuggle Truck
Though you might want to grab the Humble Bundle PC and Android 11 while you still can. I don't know how Thomas Was Alone plays on Android, but it's fantastic on PC. Also, the Blackwell games are really good.

Here are some good apps off the top of my head

Games:
Triple Town
Bloon TD 5
Bag it!
Flow Free
Rayman Jungle Run
Witch Wars
Piano Tiles
Quell
The Room

Other stuff:
AirDroid
Amazon App Store
Camera ZOOM FX
CCleaner
Cerberus
Greenify
IFTTT
Play Music
Pandora
Root Browser
SOA Launcher
SAO Widget
Google Sky
Vaulty
SMS Backup
Nova Launcher
Apollo
Facebook
Reddit in Pictures
RedReader
MX Player
Mango
Humble Bundle
Tumblr
Narwhal TV
Wallbase
Feedly
Comica Lite
Xposed Installer
Android Tuner
GMusic FS
RootCloak
Wakelock Detector
LUX Dash
Power Toggles
Reddit is Fun
Cloud Magic
Silent Hours
Waze
WiFi Tether Router
Tasker
Stickmount
Trigger

AppGratis - app of the website http://appgratis.com/, where they give daily free apps (usually are for games), and they include apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android.
KeepWiFi - keep your WiFi connected even if the phone goes to sleep.
aCar - I keep track of my car's gas mileage with this (has a paid version)
Cozi Family Calendar - can be used in conjunction with http://cozi.com for family calendars for appointments, etc.
Timeriffic - allows you to schedule certain things on your phone - I use it to schedule my phone to be silent and not vibrate while I'm at work (there are other options for this, but I like this one)
Night Filter - allows you to schedule the brightness of your phone.
WPS Office - free Office application - supposed to be fully compatible with MS Office documents.
My Data Manager - Data Usage - gives you your data usage on your phone - WiFi and 3G/4G

GasBandit

Staff member
Tapatalk - for reading halforums on the go

Teamviewer - for remote controlling your other teamviewer-installed computers.

Skype - obvious

Flixster - finding movie times near you easily

Dropbox - makes file sharing between phone and computers very easy

Soundhound - for identifying "what is that song that is playing right now?"

DI Radio - For when you're in the mood to listen to some electronic music.

TuneIn Radio - for when you want to listen to streamed terrestrial radio from just about anywhere.

Carmageddon - one of the best car games of the 90s, revamped for mobile platforms. Costs 99 cents.

RingDroid - for editing your own ringtones without need of a computer.

Astro File Manager - makes for easy file manipulation of your phone's storage/SD card.

Tesla LED Flashlight - for when you want to see in the dark.

Glow Hockey - good air hockey type game you can play vs computer or with a friend. Free.

Smooth Calendar - gives you a very compact, efficient widget that displays the next 3 items on your google calendar. Good for tracking birthdays, appointments, etc.

Bumped for Goodness: any changes to above recommendations? Any new/other games to check out on Android? Soundhound still the best sound recognizer app? And all that jazz :) (yes, I finally gave in and got a smartphone, can you tell? :p)