[Not a Bug] Am I the only one who can't edit his posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each time I try to edit a post, the edits just don't show up after clicking accept changes or whatever the button says.

It's quite aggrivating.
Added at: 02:09
And, after making this thread, I can suddenly edit.

One of those things that stops happening when you bitch out loud. Like waiting for a BG queue or a dungeon queue in WoW.

Ugh, and it strikes again, after I've written two paragraphs.

Ok, I see the problem, I can't edit a post more than once without posting or editing another post elsewhere. That's a little annoying.

I can edit my own posts multiple times in a row. Which is handy because I tend to over-work my posts.

You can't do it because we hold law enforcement to a higher standard than regular people.

:awesome:

Dave

Staff member
Hey yo, Frankie! Can I get some info? Browser, style, etc?

It'll let me test a bit.

edit: Oh, and how long between edits? Do you edit right away? Do you hit the Back button to get to the post?

2nd edit: Are you doing drugs or have a history of insanity? Because I'm editing the shit outa this post.

3rd edit: Is it giving an error message?

I don't know if it makes a difference but I've been having TONS of issues on the forum this morning. Getting lots of server time out errors.

I've noticed this, too. It seems to happen if someone else posts/edits/reads the thread while you are editing your post. Only 100% solution I've found so far is to select all/copy before you post so you can re-edit if you need to. Hitting refresh right before you start editing increases your success rate, too.

I wonder if it's something related to coming into the thread via 'new' instead of walking all the way through it.
For the record, I'm running OS X 10.7/Safari most of the time, have also had it happen while running WinXP/Safari, don't remember if I've had it happen under other browsers.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I'm seeing none of this! If you get it, screen cap it and post it so I can see what's up. Please?

No point to screen caps. You see your post, you click to edit it, you make all sorts of changes in the pop-up window you get, you hit "save changes," and then the pop-up window disappears to reveal your post exactly as it was before you hit "edit."

You could probably replicate by posting in a hot thread, clicking "edit" and then poke around at your post for about 5 minutes before trying to save it.

--Patrick

Or possibly read. I just think what's happening is that the thread gets changed/updated somehow during your edit, and that somehow makes it think the original is "newer" than your edit.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Well then. I think I'm going to edit this post right after I submit. I'll wait awhile before I hit submit after editing.

edit: This is my edit. I'm going to go get a soda and then come back and hit save changes. If you guys don't learn this fact then something is apparently messed up.
Added at: 10:13
And nobody posted. :-(

Don't feel bad Dave, I edit my posts while others are posting all the time and I haven't had a single issue, even in hot threads where it's obvious others are posting at the same time because by the time I'm done editing a new post has appeared.

I'm not running any extensions in this version of firefox, though. I wonder if there's a problem with adblock, noscript, or something similar for other users.

If you are having this problem: are you using any extensions? Have you whitelisted halforums.com in your extensions?

If it only seems to happen with Chrome/Safari, then it could be a Webkit issue. Firefox/Opera people would be unaffected. I'm thinking it's probably some sort of Javascript thing.

--Patrick

I use Firefox and I use the Social skin for the forums.

Edit 1 works!
Added at: 09:37
Nope, could only do one edit. Tried multiple times and nothing changes after the first edit until I do something else on the forums.

Posting in case he's still testing.

Editing my own post.

LIKE A BOSS

Editing again. Using firefox 7.0.1 on OS X 10.6.8 with no extensions.

Testing with FF 7.0.1 with adblock and noscript installed

*edit*

Test edit number 1

*edit*

Test edit number 2

*edit*

Test edit number 3

*edit*

updated to FF 8.0

test

I've noticed this, too. It seems to happen if someone else posts/edits/reads the thread while you are editing your post. Only 100% solution I've found so far is to select all/copy before you post so you can re-edit if you need to. Hitting refresh right before you start editing increases your success rate, too.
--Patrick
Pretty much this. I think I brought this up over 2 weeks ago as an issue.

Sometimes edits work... I've learnt to refresh the page and to CTRL A + CTRL C before pressing Post Reply.

I use Firefox.

2nd edits never work unless you refresh the page.

I'ma try testing the editing. However, the last 2 days the forums have been slower than molasses in january for me.

It was so slow loading earlier that I'm just getting to editing this now, however, it seems to work.

spoke too soon. 3rd attempt at editing after refreshing the page.

Dave

Staff member
WHY DO I NEVER SEE THESE THINGS?!?

And we're at 1.1 beta 3. Beta 4 is the latest but it didn't bring enough to the table for me to switch.

My mic sounds nice check one!

My mic sounds nice check two!

My mic sounds nice check three!

I have to refresh the page in order to edit more than once.

Test

edit 1

edit 2

edit 3

No refreshes required for me...
Added at: 11:03
Definitely a Xen/FF issue it seems.
Why do you say that? It works fine on my FF.
Added at: 11:03
What themes are people using? I'm on xenminimal. I'm wondering if some themes have more advanced inline editing.
Added at: 11:04
Another test.

Edit #1 on xenblue
Added at: 11:05
Ah, that's it. Xenblue is broken. If you use XenMinimal you don't have this issue. It probably affects other themes with inline editing.

Dave, if you're going to test it, set your theme to xenblue, then submit a bug report to xenforo - that's their default theme, and it should work.

So it don't bother me none, son.

Dave

Staff member
Before I do that I'll be upgrading to Beta 5, which just came out today. They say it's got bugfixes.

So in a bit I'll be doing that.

original

edit 1

edit 2

edit 3

Using xenblue on the newly updated forum - this appears to be working now. Everyone who had this problem, feel free to test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.