All your guns are belong in this thread.

(yes, I now this is the gun thread)
We use the metric system in places where it's been adopted and used so much we know what it is.
Most everyone knows what a 9mm round, a 2 liter bottle of soda (and 1 liters are become more common over the 20oz size), or a 10mm socket wrench is. If business made large scale changes to their labeling, those of us in the US would totally know the metric system. But since it's not used in daily life, it doesn't stick.

GasBandit

Staff member
For volumes and small measurements, we're already metric, like Tin says.

The holdouts are long distances (miles), which will take some time, and temperature - which will probably perpetuate forever, because as I've said countless times before, the boiling and freezing point of water are arbitrary landmarks, whereas 0-100 degrees F more closely mirrors the range of human comfort/survival with greater precision without requiring a decimal.

Most soft drink companies sell half-liter bottles now instead of the 20 oz bottles (which seem to be exclusively set for single-beverage purchase points).

And just so y'all know, my in-laws live near km marker 69 on I-19.

soon...
1609204282809.png

(ok, maybe not so soon. It's currently taking the ATF 9-13 months to process approvals...so...Eventually?)

Last edited:
I like how he's obviously a supreme gun nerd, but then warns he may not get all the lore correct because he's a gun nerd, NOT a Star Wars nerd.

--Patrick

Can't wait to take this thing out to the range and test it out.
20201231_114828.jpg

It's a laser boresight. It's shaped like a bullet because you put it in the chamber of your gun (my ar-15 in this case), and it shines a laser out the end and onto the target.

In the olden days, to sight in a scope: Turn on red dot, shoot a group of three, bring the target back, calculate the MOA, click the sight adjustments a few times. Try again.

This thing, in theory, should allow me to: Put a laser dot on the target. Click the sight adjustments until the two dots line up. Done. I have high hopes.

edit: understanding that bullet physics are different than laser physics, so I realize it won't be *quite* that simple.

Last edited:
Click the sight adjustments until the two dots line up. Done. I have high hopes.
In reality, you will want the laser dot to be slightly above your sight dot (to account for bullet drop), depending on the distance to the target.
Later, you will make more adjustments if you discover your barrel has a tendency to skew L or R, but you will save SO many rounds you would have wasted getting it "on the paper."

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I've used laser boresights before that get inserted into the tip of the barrel. This one might be a smidge more accurate (because there's always a little slop between the stem of the boresight and the barrel), as I'd hope the manufacturing is to more exacting specifications.

It looks neat, anyway.

figmentPez

Staff member
Not sure if this would go better in the LEGO thread, but here:
Bygone Armaments presents the Zamor Sphere Launcher
(a Bionicle parody of Forgotten Weapons)

Got me a little sig p365 not too long ago. I wanted something a little more compact for concealed carry.
The problem: It felt rinky-dink in my hand. I was afraid that if I shot it, it'd come slipping right out of my grip.
So, I got a fairly inexpensive rubberized grip sleeve for it, and it feels tons better.

1610400400381.png

I’m not sure what to make of this, but in an empty parking lot near my park - where normally they sell anything from hot dogs to cat trees to fireworks to Trump crap - they started selling body armor.

This sounds more like someone got blinded by the prospect of getting their name in the papers as "hero dude saves dozens of dollars' worth of store merchandise."
Well, they got their name in the papers, all right.

--Patrick