All your guns are belong in this thread.

From the look of it, that's not "a road rage incident", that's "a drive-by shooting".

Obviously that kind of laws are different over there, but here in BE? That would 100% be premeditated murder. He was in no danger, wasn't defending himself, had no reason to fear for his life, never tried to de-escalate, and wasn't just "responding wirth similar weapons". going from nothing to "I pull out my gun and start shooting5-6 times" is deliberate, and either with intent to kill, or with a total lack of responsibility and awareness that a gun is a deadly weapon.
It's like having a road rage incident with a pedestrian, then getting into your car, driving off, making an about turn, and deliberately running the pedestrian down.
Post automatically merged:

He was released at the scene.
Well, yeah, he's white.

GasBandit

Staff member
Even in Texas that would be a premeditated Drive By.

But it happened in Florida, so I guess it is a misdemeanor moving violation.

After reading more - attempted murder, since apparently there were no injuries.

"he trew a water bottle at me, so I thought I was being shot, so I shot back". Man, you can hear and see the "bottle thrown" in the video. BS that that sounded anything like a gunshot. And even if it DID, your first guess should probably be "oh no, a tire blew out/a car backfired" and not "random other driver is shooting me". Also, the whole video shows him looking into his armrest, the radio, to the left, to the right, pretty much anywhere but the damn road. Argh.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, it took him a solid 45 seconds to get his gun out of the center console. That is more than enough time to realize he's not being shot at, even if it were NOT something as obviously-not-a-gunshot as a water bottle.

Is this road rage? It's hard to tell, it kinda looks like the other car fires once and breaks his window before he starts firing. Why does this guy have a gun safe in his center console? Is he off duty cop? A drug dealer? Just a 2a nut?

This video is crazy and needs context

Is this road rage? It's hard to tell, it kinda looks like the other car fires once and breaks his window before he starts firing. Why does this guy have a gun safe in his center console? Is he off duty cop? A drug dealer? Just a 2a nut?

This video is crazy and needs context
There is a link to an article with the tweet.
1) The other car does not fire anything; the other driver came up next to him, cursed at him, and threw a water bottle. This driver responded a few seconds later by shooting. According to the article, there is adequate time between the water bottle being thrown and the shooting for this driver to realize he wasn’t in danger.
2) No one knows why he had the gun safe in his console. He was a civilian investigator for the local fire department (but he resigned after being arrested).

There is a link to an article with the tweet.
1) The other car does not fire anything; the other driver came up next to him, cursed at him, and threw a water bottle. This driver responded a few seconds later by shooting. According to the article, there is adequate time between the water bottle being thrown and the shooting for this driver to realize he wasn’t in danger.
2) No one knows why he had the gun safe in his console. He was a civilian investigator for the local fire department (but he resigned after being arrested).
Ok, so crazy 2a guy that just really wanted to shoot someone

I think I've seen at least half a dozen movies where a pro- or antagonist gets their hands on a gun that way or robs a shop that way. I always assumed no gun shop owner would ever be stupid enough to hand over both a live gun AND fitting bullets to the same customer. I mean, I can understand someone wanting to BUY both at the same time - and even so I'd say, hey, maybe keep the gun locked in something that'll take a few minutes to open when you hand it over. "I have no money and I'm not a customer yet, but would you mind handing me a loaded gun (or a gun and ammo for it and some time) so I can rob you" is.....Oy.

My assumption (because it's not mentioned in the articles) is that the person brought in their own (fortunately dud) ammo.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Given how many Trump signs I have seen in the windows of gun stores, I think giving some of these people credit for common sense is a bit of a stretch..

I wonder if this guy was trying to commit suicide by opening fire in a gun store, and left disappointed because nobody shot back.

Or was it that he's institutionalized? And wanted to commit a serious enough of a crime to go away for life without doing any physical harm.

Given how many Trump signs I have seen in the windows of gun stores, I think giving some of these people credit for common sense is a bit of a stretch..

I wonder if this guy was trying to commit suicide by opening fire in a gun store, and left disappointed because nobody shot back.
yeah, because every gun store I've ever shopped at, every employee has had a sidearm on their hip. I was trying to imagine a scenario where I got rounds into a magazine, and then the magazine into a weapon without having a half-dozen pistols pulled on me before I completed the task.

yeah, because every gun store I've ever shopped at, every employee has had a sidearm on their hip. I was trying to imagine a scenario where I got rounds into a magazine, and then the magazine into a weapon without having a half-dozen pistols pulled on me before I completed the task.
Looks like a department store.

While I'm all in favor of gun legislation, the firearm numbers is almost 50% suicides. Yes, guns lower the threshold and make it easier to take your own life "on a whim", but still - a large part of those would have tried without a gun, too.

While I'm all in favor of gun legislation, the firearm numbers is almost 50% suicides. Yes, guns lower the threshold and make it easier to take your own life "on a whim", but still - a large part of those would have tried without a gun, too.
There's actually a lot of data on that, which I'm currently too tired to research to give proper numbers and citations, but the gist is pretty simple. Risk of suicide is substantially higher among those who own a gun, and those who attempt suicide by gun generally succeed, while those who attempt via other means usually turn out to be nonfatal.

There's actually a lot of data on that, which I'm currently too tired to research to give proper numbers and citations, but the gist is pretty simple. Risk of suicide is substantially higher among those who own a gun, and those who attempt suicide by gun generally succeed, while those who attempt via other means usually turn out to be nonfatal.
Yeah, I know, I recognize that. it's, you know, the bit "guns lower the threshold and make it easier", up there :-P

Still, if you subscribe to "guns don't kill people, people kill people" that means suicides as well. It's (partially) bunk, but still.

Anyway, my point was, most people will not consider suicides-by-gun as "gun violence deaths". And up to a point I agree - it's definitely not a one-to-one comparison.
The comparison is always a bit off - by far most car fatalities aren't deliberate, but accidental (I assume. I haven't heard of a vehicular manslaughter epidemic). For guns, this is not true - there are plenty of accidents, but the majority of problematic deaths are not. If gun deaths were just accidents while cleaning or training, there wouldn't be as much debate.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'd assume Covid is also adding to those suicide by gun numbers as well.
From the article, " That said, suicides in general seem to have actually lowered during the first year of the pandemic, and gun violence may have declined in 2021."

While the pandemic has added stress and disruption to a lot of lives, it has also reduced stress in other ways. I saw an article recently that claimed one in three teenagers reported better mental health during the pandemic, because of less social stress and bullying while they weren't attending classes in person.

This bill prohibits the state of New Hampshire, a political subdivision of this state, or any person acting under the color of state, county, or municipal law from using any personnel or financial resources to enforce, administer, or cooperate with any law, act, rule, order, or regulation of the United States Government or Executive Order of the President of the United States that is inconsistent with any law of this state regarding the regulation of firearms, ammunition, magazines or the ammunition feeding devices, firearm components, firearms supplies, or knives.
Hmm I wonder where this could be going.

--Patrick

My brother and his wife are in France right now and while helping his mother in law clean out her attic they found a case with a broomhandle Mauser, a Luger and an American 44 magnum of some variety, all from WW2 and in fantastic condition. She gave them to him.

Now this is both rad and funny because you literally cannot own a Mauser in Canada. The only way that gun is getting into this country is on the way to a museum.

I'm jealous AF because playing with a full auto Mauser would be so much fun.

Attachments