[Abortion] North Dakota makes its play for "Worst State In The Union"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the heat would melt the plastic. There's a YouTube video somewhere of a guy firing a fully automatic ar-qt until it fails I think he got to around 300 rounds of constant fire before the rifle itself caught on fire

And the reports of the ones firing hundred of rounds are in instances where they only printed parts of the lower receiver and then only used 22's in it
I'm sure you are correct as to the limitations of the present-day technology. I hope these limits remain in the coming decades as well.
To me this puts the world in quite a sad place, in that it suggests that without the restrictions currently in place, people would go off madly and there would be anarchy. I think that's not giving nearly enough credit to people as a whole. In fact, the faith in "the people" is one of the reasons that there are advocates for more concealed-carry and such laws, as it presumes that the vast majority will be responsible, and that it's not "the law" keeping back the hordes of anarchy.

So a philosophical difference in how to look at people.
Well, I do have faith that it is 'the law', backed by the threat of overwhelming force, which provides the best protection against a society descending into cut-throat anarchy and the strong preying (excessively) on the weak. The general population has been conditioned to civility through many generations of orderly society provided by strong laws. But if one strips away a couple of surface layers, I think one might discover a clannish and tribal creature who is quite willing to take a weapon to anyone perceived to have wronged them or theirs, or to seize what they want from outsiders through force or deception, with the threat of consequences providing the only deterrent against such misconduct.

So yes, a philosophical difference in the outlook.

As to current gun restrictions, I don't know enough to make the call, and I think they differ too much from place to place anyway. Perhaps they are just about right, or too loose to have sufficient effect, or too strict for the benefit.

Well, I do have faith that it is 'the law', backed by the threat of overwhelming force, which provides the best protection against a society descending into cut-throat anarchy and the strong preying (excessively) on the weak.
I like how you qualified that as if a little bit of preying on the weak is just fine and dandy.

I like how you qualified that as if a little bit of preying on the weak is just fine and dandy.
Not fine and dandy, but perhaps unavoidable. Even in well-ordered and law-abiding societies, I think it would be a stretch to say that the powerful do not enjoy a significant advantage over those less fortunate, or that they do not make use of it for their own gain. But the law puts limits to that, makes sure the 'preying on the weak' is not as extensive or outrageous as it otherwise might be, and that the weak can still survive.

Also the heat would melt the plastic. There's a YouTube video somewhere of a guy firing a fully automatic ar-qt until it fails I think he got to around 300 rounds of constant fire before the rifle itself caught on fire

And the reports of the ones firing hundred of rounds are in instances where they only printed parts of the lower receiver and then only used 22's in it

I'm not sure anyone ever pays attention to me when I say this (I've said this in many threads already but it bears repeating). There are already machines that can print with metals. Mild steels, stainless steels, exotic alloys. Look up direct laser sintering. Metal parts can be printed and then hardened, tempered, annealed... whatever treatments are necessary for the part. That means you could print almost every single part of a firearm and heat treat those parts to have comparable strengths to traditionally manufactured ones.

You know, even if a printed gun can only fire six shots, that's more than enough for a lot of people planning mischief.

Halforums: where the abortion threads go to gun control, and the gun control threads go to gun control.

I suspect that the vast majority of people here agree that this law is way over the top and will cause nothing but problems. When we're in agreement there's not as much to talk about so the topic is bound to wander sooner rather than later.

Charlie also kickstarted it with his earlier comments (which I actually thought were pretty good).

I'm not sure anyone ever pays attention to me when I say this (I've said this in many threads already but it bears repeating). There are already machines that can print with metals. Mild steels, stainless steels, exotic alloys. Look up direct laser sintering. Metal parts can be printed and then hardened, tempered, annealed... whatever treatments are necessary for the part. That means you could print almost every single part of a firearm and heat treat those parts to have comparable strengths to traditionally manufactured ones.
That hardly sounds cost effective for the criminal or psychopath on the go.

That hardly sounds cost effective for the criminal or psychopath on the go.

Oh it absolutely isn't cost effective. It's just people seem to neglect that is already is possible to make these parts out of metal using additive printing processes. I'm sure like the plastic 3D printing these types of laser sintering machines will get more and more compact and eventually become more accessible.

GasBandit

Staff member
Guns: As CrimsonSoul mentioned, the part of the gun that the government considers "the gun" (and everything else is just spare parts) is the lower receiver, which is perfectly able to be made entirely of resin with no problems. All the other parts of the gun to make it work, metal or otherwise, can be easily purchased separately without tracking or impediment because they're not "the gun," only buying lower receivers is regulated/restricted. Think of it like the guy who found a bunch of WW2 planes crashed in shallow water, dug out their registration plates, claimed them as salvage, and then was able to rebuild them up from nothing and legally own them because the registration plates were "the plane" for purposes of law and ownership. So, you don't have to print the whole gun... just the lower receiver. You can get all the metal/polycarbonate/wood/whatever parts you want easily as spare/replacement parts, and assemble your own gun without the government knowing you now own a fully or semi automatic assault rifle.

Abortion: I hold the (surprise surprise) unpopular belief that fetuses are a life, but not children any more than children are adults. We as a society choose when it is acceptable to end a person's life every day - criminals, wars, and so on. Children don't have the same rights as adults, it stands to logic that foetii would be acknowledged to have different rights from both. Whether or not they have the same rights to live as children and adults is something we as a society decide. I think a lot of the controversy on the subject is perpetuated by the fact that the legality of the process of abortion was decided by a court decision without popular referendum. I don't know if either side of the debate (I'm in favor of legal abortion, personally) wants to actually risk a decisive vote, because all too often the polls surprise you - who'da thunk it'd be California at the front of the anti-gay marriage wavefront, after all?

TLDR: Gasbandit says abortion ends a life. END THOSE LIVES! END THEM ALL! BWA HA HA HA HA.

Here's what's always bothered me about the abortion debate: abortion is the symptom of a greater problem. If social conservatives wouldn't act like knuckle-dragging assholes when it comes to sex education, the number of unplanned pregnancies would go down dramatically. Being pro-choice doesn't mean you like abortion. Nobody likes abortion. Everyone wants to see it go away, we would just rather see it go away because no one needs it anymore.

Oh it absolutely isn't cost effective. It's just people seem to neglect that is already is possible to make these parts out of metal using additive printing processes. I'm sure like the plastic 3D printing these types of laser sintering machines will get more and more compact and eventually become more accessible.
You can also machine your own gun without the use of any modern technology, but that doesn't make it a viable way of acquiring a firearm. That's why it kind of mystifies me that this is even brought up in these discussions. It's not feasible enough to even be a concern.

You can also machine your own gun without the use of any modern technology, but that doesn't make it a viable way of acquiring a firearm. That's why it kind of mystifies me that this is even brought up in these discussions. It's not feasible enough to even be a concern.

True, but the reason I mention it is that machining, drop forging and even stamping steel parts require a significant amount of experience to create something with tolerances as tight as a firearm. It also requires quite a bit of equipment (unless you're using CNC type stuff... which is right up the same alley as 3D printing... it's just subtractive instead of additive).

With up and coming 3D printing options... that requirement for years of skill is disappearing fast as well as the massive cost for multiple machining tools. Not to mention that people won't even need to design their own parts. There will likely be a plethora of them floating around the internet. It's not a problem... yet.

Sorry for continuing to drag this thread off topic. I'll stop now.

You know, even if a printed gun can only fire six shots, that's more than enough for a lot of people planning mischief.
Again toy can't print a whole gun and only a part or two of it then you'll have to go spend 1k plus in today's gun market to get the rest of it. A completely printed fun wouldn't even make it past one shot, it would blow up in your hand because of the cheep plastic that the printers use

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes, you can't print up a gun for no cost. The thing people are worried about is not that you can make a gun for nothing, it's that you can for a similar price of what a gun would normally cost, combine 3d printed parts with ordered "spare" parts and create guns that the government wouldn't have on record and wouldn't have a serial number or any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.