Export thread

A Plea to My Fellow Halforumites

Zappit

Zappit

Folks, I generally don't speak out like this, but I think there are some things that need to be said. Over the last few weeks, we've seen new members chased out, nasty spats, and the mods' nerves and patience put to the grindstone.

We can be better than that.

I've been a part of this community since the Image board days, and I don't want to see this place descend into madness. Everything gets taken so personally, low blows get tossed around like paper airplanes, and even serious discussions get bombarded with joke gifs. That's not what we wanted to be - we're slowly falling into something we may not be able to emerge from.

So I'm going to make a request - not a demand - a request. Please, guys, try a little harder, be a little kinder. If something offends, try to handle it maturely, realize that not every thought needs to get impulsively posted. How hard is it to simply turn the other cheek? Welcome new members with open arms, not snarky remarks that they're not prepared for. Try to be more respectful when posting, and reciprocate that respect.

I'd also like you all to try something when fighting - do a cool off period - a voluntary no communication period of 24 hours. Just taking some time to cool off defuses many situations; after some time, that fight may not seem worth having.

So please, guys - I believe in this place. If you do, too, then stand together, and let's make this place one of the nicer, smarter places on the internet.

Thank you for your time.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I thought we did start acting nicer, and started doing better.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Called it.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I will also add a bro-fist to state I am in solidarity with this movement. I just remember what happened to the last thread about this!

Gared

Gared

Called it.
What are the numbers for Friday night's lotto drawing? I could really use some disposable income.

Zappit

Zappit

I will also add a bro-fist to state I am in solidarity with this movement. I just remember what happened to the last thread about this!
We can do it if we try.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

if Adammon is actually gone, the level of discourse will go up by default at least

MindDetective

MindDetective

Point, missed.

Bones

Bones

yes lets all do this thing!

tegid

tegid

That would've been the first time I'd have used the Really? REALLY?! Button.

GasBandit

GasBandit

What are the numbers for Friday night's lotto drawing? I could really use some disposable income.
Sorry, lotto numbers are not determined by patterns in human nature, and thus I don't think I stand as good a chance at predicting them.

Gared

Gared

Sorry, lotto numbers are not determined by patterns in human nature, and thus I don't think I stand as good a chance at predicting them.
Damn. Well, it was worth a shot.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Point, missed.
no, I got the point, I was just intentionally being a dick. I'm sorry.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Get Along.jpg

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Because fuck you, that's why. :troll:

Bones

Bones

great OC now the mods are going to come storming in AND SAY WE ARE A BUNCH OF CHILDREN....god damnit cant we set the shit aside for one moment and not pour napalm on the fire!?
(edit: I was joking as well, in hindsight that wasn't obvious)

Soliloquy

I will repeat my claim that people do won't be changed, and then sit back and watch all the people not changing.

Gared

Gared

I will sit and wait for someone to make a blanket generalization about how OC's joking comment shows that all cops are bad people.

Zappit

Zappit

Because fuck you, that's why. :troll:
Dude. :facepalm:

LittleSin

LittleSin

Wait wait wait.

What happened to Adam?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Dude? Duuuude... Dude. :(

My shenanigans are cheeky and fun. The shenanigans of which you are referring to are cruel and tragic.

However, your point is taken.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

"Hey Farva, what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy shit on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?"
"You mean 'Shenanigans'?"

Soliloquy

Look, Zappit, I appreciate what you're trying to do. But this is a community filled with people who believe their own presence is enough to justify the forum's existence, and that if newcomers don't like the way they're acting, they clearly don't belong.

We're the equivalent of a church filled with nothing but cranky old people who scowl and scoff at the youngsters who wander in while gossiping behind each others' backs. Our group is past the proverbial event horizon of self-destruction.

We're dying and, what's more, most people seem to be fine with it. No one wants to change. No one's going to change. And unless we're all visited by three Christmas spirits or something, nothing's going to change that.

BananaHands

BananaHands

There was a lot less wrong with this place before we started making threads about what is wrong with this place.

Let's just all take a deep breath and post something in the random thread.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Sol, you've got a unique way of sitting back and watching.

evilmike

evilmike

Look, Zappit, I appreciate what you're trying to do. But this is a community filled with people who believe their own presence is enough to justify the forum's existence, and that if newcomers don't like the way they're acting, they clearly don't belong.

We're the equivalent of a church filled with nothing but cranky old people who scowl and scoff at the youngsters who wander in while gossiping behind each others' backs. Our group is past the proverbial event horizon of self-destruction.

We're dying and, what's more, most people seem to be fine with it. No one wants to change. No one's going to change. And unless we're all visited by three Christmas spirits or something, nothing's going to change that.
I disagree.

Juski has a point -- people made an effort and it made a difference.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Quit the dramatics. We're not dying. -_-

We just no each other well enough to hold grudges. :p

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Wait wait wait.

What happened to Adam?
I have no idea what's going on with the cosplay forum drama, but it's somehow related to that and sexually harassing cosplayers

Dave

Dave

As a cranky old person I resemble these remarks.

drifter

drifter

[USER]Charlie Don't Surf[/USER], stop being a dick and insinuating things about Adammon.

[USER]LittleSin[/USER], check the latest thread in the Board Request subforum. TL;DR Cosplay subforum kerfuffle and the ensuing drama led to Adam stating he's taking a break.

He did check in this morning, though, so who knows.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Charlie, stop being a dick
He'd have to stop breathing first :trolol:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's not worth the effort to tell charlie to STFU for the 3,945th time. Instead I'll just report the post when it becomes all about him instead of the topic at hand.

Which is always.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Aw come on, not in Zappit's thread. He's trying to do something good.

BananaHands

BananaHands

The thread should just be locked now.

ElJuski

ElJuski

But see, if everyone just ignored Charlie or realized he was just playing, we wouldn't have this. Not everything dickish that man says deserves a full thread derail.

In other news if I get ten likes or brofists for this post I will draw a picture of BananaHands

Zappit

Zappit

This goes with that Turn the Other Cheek idea - ignore the provocative remarks and don't waste your time on it.

ElJuski

ElJuski

For what it's worth, I think people spend less time considering the other side and more time going straight to reply some garbage. Also, we're three away from a Bananahands doodle

LittleSin

LittleSin

Wow. I just read the thread.

Wow.

I just...what can I even SAY?

ElJuski

ElJuski

less talk more rokk (brofist)

LittleSin

LittleSin

Here you go, bro.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Now I have that awesome song in my head. (brofist)

ElJuski

ElJuski

well the picture is probably going to have to come tomorrow morning before work, or possibly while my kids are doing work at work, because I am sleepy and need to watch my fourth episode ever of Buffy ever

ElJuski

ElJuski

Remember when I said I'd doodle you last?
I lied

drifter

drifter

Aw jeez, you got the stink lines and everything.

Gusto

Gusto

...Eric Bana??

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

okay, I'll contribute.

My sabbatical (what was it? almost exactly the month of April I think) was, yes, because people were being mean to me. I was kind of in a bad place mentally (still am, depression sucks), and starting to believe all the stuff people said about me here and let everything get to me. I'm not going to say I shouldn't have been treated like that or that everyone should be kinder and gentler and I was a victim, bla bla. I deserved it.

I'm trying to be a better person, since I usually act like a prick here. It's some weird thing where I use this place as somewhere where what I say doesn't matter and that I think I'm automatically better / smarter than everyone. This isn't true, there are smart people here, and there are damn sure people that are better morally than I. Since in real life, and hell, even other online communities, I think I'm really fucking stupid and can't stand up in any sort of discussion or argument, etc. This is kind of rambly, but I think you get the point. I'm a sad person that gets some stupid measure of happiness thinking I'm smarter than y'all sometimes. If it makes you feel any better, every time I say Avengers isn't good, I'm really saying that I am stupid and unhappy.

That's actually not true. I do a lot of shitty things here, but I really don't make up or take opinions just to piss you guys off. So that's my self-psychoanalysis story I guess

Bones

Bones

its cool bro, I still like you
AdventureTimeHug.gif

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hey Charlie, remember that time you got really drunk and posted a thread about how much you love the forums here? And everyone responded with (IIRC) equal parts mockery, bemusement and "I love you too brofist"? I have fond memories of the warm feelings evoked by that thread. I think it's ok to show a little vulnerability and humanity around here. Wouldn't keep coming back otherwise.

And if you don't remember that thread, well, someone back me up here. Surely I didn't imagine it.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Hey Charlie, remember that time you got really drunk and posted a thread about how much you love the forums here? And everyone responded with (IIRC) equal parts mockery, bemusement and "I love you too brofist"? I have fond memories of the warm feelings evoked by that thread. I think it's ok to show a little vulnerability and humanity around here. Wouldn't keep coming back otherwise.

And if you don't remember that thread, well, someone back me up here. Surely I didn't imagine it.
What the hell are you talking about, that didn't happen.

Dave

Dave

You're a mean little Bumble.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Great, now I have to go dig through the archives to find the thread. :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ok, I think it was this one. Though it's not quite the same as how I remembered it, so Charlie may have posted more than one thread declaring his love for us.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/for-your-birthday-halforums-i-give-you-my-heart.19321/

In any case my point still stands.

Frank

Frank

In 2 months these threads will be all that remains if it continues at this pace.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

In all seriousness, I seem to (vaguely) recall that post.

And props to anyone willing to eat a little crow if they truly feel that they've been in error.

SeraRelm

Quit the dramatics. We're not dying. -_-

We just no each other well enough to hold grudges. :p
We just no each other well enough

The greatest requirement this forum has is a sense of humor. If you don't have that, and keep it, then you're not going to enjoy them. It isn't an excuse for rough behavior, but it's still a necessity.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Guys... I've been thinking about this over and over and I think I've got it.

This is the darkest timeline.

From now on, I am Evil BananaHands. I propose to Evil Dave and the rest of the EvilForumites that we no longer allow threads like these and focus solely on evil doings and finding a way back to the prime timeline where we can destroy our good counterparts and live out the rest of our lives as them.

Gusto

Gusto

Guys... I've been thinking about this over and over and I think I've got it.

This is the darkest timeline.

From now on, I am Evil BananaHands. I propose to Evil Dave and the rest of the EvilForumites that we no longer allow threads like these and focus solely on evil doings and finding a way back to the prime timeline where we can destroy our good counterparts and live out the rest of our lives as them.
I made this years ago for unrelated reasons, but:

Bones

Bones

can I be evil bones?

BananaHands

BananaHands

Good idea. Everyone grow goatees.

Evil Officer_Charon, I expect you'll follow the Lawful Evil alignment and divvy out gruesome justice to all that oppose the order here.

Dave

Dave

can I be evil bones?
I have an evil bone already.

:whistling:

SeraRelm

Well, Shegokigo , we're SOoL.

Bones

Bones

there done....

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

[USER]Charlie Don't Surf[/USER], stop being a dick and insinuating things about Adammon.

[USER]LittleSin[/USER], check the latest thread in the Board Request subforum. TL;DR Cosplay subforum kerfuffle and the ensuing drama led to Adam stating he's taking a break.

He did check in this morning, though, so who knows.
Did I miss more bullshit because I went to my place of employment today? Dammit!

HowDroll

HowDroll

On it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I already have facial hair. And I'm already evil. I'm pretty sure there isn't an "evil GasBandit." There's just GasBandit.

MindDetective

MindDetective

"Somewhere there's a Bender more evil than me. I do my best, dammit!"

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

But wait...if this is the evil timeline...and I already had a goatee...

...WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?!? :aaah:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Pics or it didn't happen.

Tress

Tress

I already have facial hair. And I'm already evil. I'm pretty sure there isn't an "evil GasBandit." There's just GasBandit.
No, it means there's a polite, clean-shaven GB somewhere. This GB complains about how little government oversight there is in the economy, and pushes for a heavier income tax (up to 75%, just like France's latest proposal). That GB also weeps whenever someone insults him, because words hurt and ultimately those insults diminish the beauty of life. That GB thinks people are good, and they just need a hand from the government to create an egalitarian society.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Stuff cut for length.
Charlie, I want to say that I'd prefer this more open, honest version of you than the front you put up. I think that's always been my issue with you: we didn't really get you, but a persona. The trolling comments, the quoting other people without giving your own opinion, etc. It was almost crystal clear that it was a persona. What you say does matter. I think I speak for most that all we ask is, if you're going to say something - especially if it's something that'll likely rile us up - that you back it up. Don't just say something with a sentence and drop it without explaining, leaving us to argue for a page or two trying to decipher it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

No, it means there's a polite, clean-shaven GB somewhere. This GB complains about how little government oversight there is in the economy, and pushes for a heavier income tax (up to 75%, just like France's latest proposal). That GB also weeps whenever someone insults him, because words hurt and ultimately those insults diminish the beauty of life. That GB thinks people are good, and they just need a hand from the government to create an egalitarian society.
Such an abomination could not possibly exist in any dimension.

SeraRelm

But JCM alrea-

Aaaaahahaa!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Infinite universes, infinite possibilities. There's even a GB out there that likes people.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Don't just say something with a sentence and drop it without explaining, leaving us to argue for a page or two trying to decipher it.
I don't want to undermine what you're saying, or Charlie's openness, but... It is kind of funny that we do that. He's got getting our goat down pat.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Such an abomination could not possibly exist in any dimension.
It does, and he's here. In this very forum. I''ll let you figure out who on your own.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Done!

Jester Durr Goatee 2012_05_09 128pix.png

EDIT: If that's not evil enough, I can give him an eyepatch. Turning the jester hat into plaid flannel might be beyond my abilities, though.

BananaHands

BananaHands

The plot thickens.

Gared

Gared

Infinite universes, infinite possibilities. There's even a GB out there that likes people.
With or without bbq sauce?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Good lord, figmentPez . You pimp out that icon every chance you get. I swear, you're going to give it huge-ass exhaust pipes for ears, next...

*grabs hold of you* No. No! No, you may not! You may not put huge-ass exhaust pipes for ears on your Durr icon!

GasBandit

GasBandit

It does, and he's here. In this very forum. I''ll let you figure out who on your own.
Sorry, search called off for lack of damns to give.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Good lord, figmentPez . You pimp out that icon every chance you get. I swear, you're going to give it huge-ass exhaust pipes for ears, next...

*grabs hold of you* No. No! No, you may not! You may not put huge-ass exhaust pipes for ears on your Durr icon!
Nick, until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar! Like eagles! Yeah! LIKE EAGLES...ON...POGO STICKS!!!

bone-wagon_65175.jpg

BananaHands

BananaHands

"I'll peel you like a banana raaar"

SeraRelm

"My hands aren't good with manual dexterity yet are strangely high in potassium raaar"

Jay

Jay

dQB0s.jpg

FFS, I don't even know where I am anymore.

lol

Bones

Bones

welcome through the mirror darkly anti-jay....

SeraRelm

You seem angry, Jay. Very angry. I shall call you VAJay. Is it ok if I call you VAJay, Jay?:D

Jay

Jay

Heh, not at all.

And nope.

Bones

Bones

so where is our jay, because this rube, he cant be ours....so ill tempered I wonder if he is like the anti-gasbandit? :3

BananaHands

BananaHands

Sorry, was busy talking with Anti-Charlie about how awesome Avengers was.

Jay

Jay

Bones, you drunk again?

Bones

Bones

tumblr_lhzkmxGg7Q1qfy2kdo1_500.gif

oh fine dont play along. You are no fun >_>

Jay

Jay

GxTnK.gif

Jay

Jay

okay, I'll contribute.

My sabbatical (what was it? almost exactly the month of April I think) was, yes, because people were being mean to me. I was kind of in a bad place mentally (still am, depression sucks), and starting to believe all the stuff people said about me here and let everything get to me. I'm not going to say I shouldn't have been treated like that or that everyone should be kinder and gentler and I was a victim, bla bla. I deserved it.

I'm trying to be a better person, since I usually act like a prick here. It's some weird thing where I use this place as somewhere where what I say doesn't matter and that I think I'm automatically better / smarter than everyone. This isn't true, there are smart people here, and there are damn sure people that are better morally than I. Since in real life, and hell, even other online communities, I think I'm really fucking stupid and can't stand up in any sort of discussion or argument, etc. This is kind of rambly, but I think you get the point. I'm a sad person that gets some stupid measure of happiness thinking I'm smarter than y'all sometimes. If it makes you feel any better, every time I say Avengers isn't good, I'm really saying that I am stupid and unhappy.

That's actually not true. I do a lot of shitty things here, but I really don't make up or take opinions just to piss you guys off. So that's my self-psychoanalysis story I guess

Somehow, I genuinely believe you and praise you for posting this. Do you plan to adapt somehow in the future?

ElJuski

ElJuski

Well, I transcend space and time, gentlemen, so there are no alternate universe Juskis.

Also I look like a pedophile if I'm not clean-shaven or scruffy, so no mustaches or beards. Although next time I shave I'll take a picture and show you, and then

it will truly be the darkest timeline.

EITHER WAY, THIS THREAD IS IN HAPPY PLACES NOW, YAYY

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The evil poe is out there, somewhere. But really, all he does it randomly come into threads to make dick jokes, before vanishing into the shadows again.

Penis.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

So there's some Shiny, Straight, Holy Light Weilding, Paragon of Justice me out there?

Oh I'd love to meet her.... she'd be amazing in bed once I cracked the goody-ness out of her ;)

LittleSin

LittleSin

goodshego.jpg

MindDetective

MindDetective

"Infinity does not work that way!"

"Good night!"

SeraRelm

So there's some Shiny, Straight, Holy Light Weilding, Paragon of Justice me out there?

Oh I'd love to meet her.... she'd be amazing in bed once I cracked the goody-ness out of her ;)
Would that count as masturbation? Would it be a threesome if someone else were involved?

Would my "evil version" be Ann Coulter?

BananaHands

BananaHands

Somewhere out there is a GrapefruitHands.

And I'll wring his goddamn neck.

Wahad

Wahad

The evil me is that guy who never stops talking about things that ultimately don't matter. Also, he is good at everything he does, except cooking.

Edit: So...Guy Fieri, I guess.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

So...Guy Fieri, I guess.
Ah, the third and final anti-christ.

Nobody else in history will be responsible for more death or suffering.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I already have my head shaved and I already have a goatee. Darn. So how do I become more evil? I already walk around in a black leather trenchcoat. Ahhh!

Also:
1) CDS's thread about loving everyone is in the Hall of Shame, and it isn't what was linked earlier.
2) Threads like this have been popping up since back when this was still Halforum. Y'know what? This place strikes my fancy now more than it did when I left - because there's less people around I don't care about. A forum with a big group of uninteresting users won't survive because it's not fun or interesting. A forum with a small group of interesting users can die off if the wrong people leave... We need one or two good new people a year, not too many nor too few. Do'nt worry ,be happy...And when this forum's got its period, just chill and enjoy the hot flames ;-)

Terrik

Terrik

Sure, meet your Avatar. It's all of that + gore. But its Justice gore.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Clearly, not enough people read the "whatever happened to..." thread ;-)
Hiya Hun! *waves*