3d printing

2nd printer arrives today (Saturday's vending was very successful).

New model: Little fidget wolves, printed in dual-color filament that shifts from black to white depending on which angle you look at them.

20231213_172544.jpg
20231213_172538.jpg

3d printing..not just for silly fidget dragons.
Friend of mine is moving from Houston, and her bed in storage had a couple of broken frame slats. She was gonna go to home depot and buy and cut wood, and I was like "It's a non moving part that sits on the floor, right? You just need it to not, you know, fall apart?
Measured with calipers and whipped up a support/patch in Fusion 360. Printed in PETG for a little more strength, and threw in some wood glue for extra hold.

The printed patch covers 3 out of 4 sides, and is fairly dimensionally stable. If it was weight-bearing, I would have said this wasn't a workable fix, but it rests on the floor, so I think it's gonna work out.

1702862303446.png

THIS is the kind of stuff I want to get a printer for. Not the trinkets, but for the bespoke "Nobody makes this part any more" stuff.

--Patrick
Yeah, she also has a missing plastic foot to a table, and I'm gonna re-create that too. My aunt sells vintage collectible toys, and they're always having to whittle replacement parts out of wood (because that's what her husband does) but would love to get them 3d printed.

I mostly got my printer for practical uses, but decided to vend stuff to help it pay for itself (well, pay for both of them, now that I have 2)...but now that the Christmas rush is over, I can use one to restock inventory and the other to do other stuff with.

Forgot to mention that you could have also added a piece of flat bedsheet to the glue layer between the wood and the patch, which would've acted like fiberglass and given it more long-term rigidity.

--Patrick

Forgot to mention that you could have also added a piece of flat bedsheet to the glue layer between the wood and the patch, which would've acted like fiberglass and given it more long-term rigidity.

--Patrick
good to know! I have a 2nd slat to fix if this first one works out, and I'll add that idea to the fix

good to know! I have a 2nd slat to fix if this first one works out, and I'll add that idea to the fix
T-shirts and the like are made and meant to stretch, but flat sheets usually aren't woven that way, so they make a halfway decent reinforcing matrix. You can also just pick up a chunk of appropriate fabric from the scrap table at a craft store to have handy if you don't want to carve up a sheet. :)

--Patrick

T-shirts and the like are made and meant to stretch, but flat sheets usually aren't woven that way, so they make a halfway decent reinforcing matrix. You can also just pick up a chunk of appropriate fabric from the scrap table at a craft store to have handy if you don't want to carve up a sheet. :)

--Patrick
I have a craft room. There's plenty of scrap fabric in there lol

Local gaming store that is going to be selling my prints has asked if I can do more gaming-related 3d prints. So I designed this last night and printed it this morning

20231223_124337.jpg

Look into dice towers, those will probably sell like hot cakes!
you would think. But at least in this area, they do not. At the comic-con here, there was a guy with a million 3d printed dice towers of various cool designs, but they just don't sell. And the gaming store here said they don't want any because the various ones they already have aren't selling. And my intuition says that gamers will spend big money on dice, but they like to roll them in their hands and give them the juju--the dice tower takes that human superstitious element out of it. They seemingly enforce randomness--and gamers, in the hearts of hearts, don't want randomness in their dice. They want their special "I roll 20's on this" die and their "this is my die for low rolls" lol

you would think. But at least in this area, they do not. At the comic-con here, there was a guy with a million 3d printed dice towers of various cool designs, but they just don't sell. And the gaming store here said they don't want any because the various ones they already have aren't selling. And my intuition says that gamers will spend big money on dice, but they like to roll them in their hands and give them the juju--the dice tower takes that human superstitious element out of it. They seemingly enforce randomness--and gamers, in the hearts of hearts, don't want randomness in their dice. They want their special "I roll 20's on this" die and their "this is my die for low rolls" lol
Will you be printing giant, novelty dice then?

Print a set of 3d6 but print them instead with only 1's or 6's on each face. Tell everyone they're designed special for people who like to min/max their character stats.

--Patrick

Fair enough I figured since they are usually super expensive that the 3D printed ones could undercut the prices of the retail ones but I totally get that.

Fair enough I figured since they are usually super expensive that the 3D printed ones could undercut the prices of the retail ones but I totally get that.
Yeah, my initial thought was dice towers too..there's lots of good designs out there. But they just don't sell :(

Reactions: Far
What about initiative trackers? Might be a little extra work adding dry erase to it, but they’re pretty useful. Might not be a high demand item though.

Is it worth it to have them be two-sided?
Like, for Barbarian rage, it could be face on one side, and then all Clash of Clans on the other side. Keep it face-up, flip it over to Clash side to "activate" it, then turn it in when spent.

--Patrick

Is it worth it to have them be two-sided?
Like, for Barbarian rage, it could be face on one side, and then all Clash of Clans on the other side. Keep it face-up, flip it over to Clash side to "activate" it, then turn it in when spent.

--Patrick
I don't really know what Clash of Clans is, but I think I get the reference. But yeah, my thought was on some coins to put two sides, if it's appropriate to the ability. I am still mulling over the details, but I think I'm going to try to make "character class packs"...with enough tokens to cover all the abilities for a specific character class all way through level 20.

Since there are subclasses, with varying abilities, that gives me an opportunity to really make a bunch of different designs.

Do you have to do any hand-finishing of the blade? Or is your printer accurate enough to not need any smoothing?

--Patrick