3-2 count, Swing. That Ball is High! It is far! It is...GONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so in the 3rd inning, down 1-0 against the Rays, Derek Jeter hits a Home Run to become the first Yankee to record 3000 hits.

So Jeter went 5-5 on the day, with three singles, and a stolen base, missing the cycle by a triple. Bombers pulled off a 5-4 win. They're now half a game back of Boston in the AL East.

Jeter is the 4th youngest player to reach 3,000 hits, the 2nd to do it via home run, the 28th player in the history of Major League Baseball to do so.

I was afraid that the IRS was going to charge him for the value of the ball. But to get to sit in some other guy's suite is going to be worth $14k in tax? Because of a gift? The IRS needs to keep chasing all that banking and Enron money, and leave the little guy alone.

Dave

Staff member
I was afraid that the IRS was going to charge him for the value of the ball. But to get to sit in some other guy's suite is going to be worth $14k in tax? Because of a gift? The IRS needs to keep chasing all that banking and Enron money, and leave the little guy alone.
It's right now speculative in nature by tax accountants, but I agree. However, it is easier to get money from the little guy who can't afford to fight back than it is to go after large corporations who lawyer up.

Or you know, members of the cabinet.

Glad the guy gave the ball up, although I don't really know how you make the decision not to. Let's see I can give the ball back and be well liked and compensated or I can keep it and be that selfish jerk that everyone hates. Real tough choice I'd imagine :)

Dave

Staff member
I don't know, man. You can get a lot of $$ selling it. Think of someone like me who has money issues. It's very difficult to give up something that can make me suddenly as much as working for a decade would do.

I think it's great the guy gave it back. I wouldn't hold it against him if he chose to keep it and then sell it. But fuck all the internet windbags out there who call this guy names and question his intelligence/manhood/whatever because he gave it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.