[MLB] 2023 Major League Baseball Season (MLB Thread)

It was a textbook takeout slide that looked worse because Kang wasn't anticipating it and stepped into it. If Kang does what every other middle infielder in the game would have done and jumped it, everyone would think it was a good takeout slide that broke up a double play.

As to whether takeout slides are overly dangerous and should be ruled illegal, then definitely.

Yeah, just ugly. I wouldn't be surprised if the rules are tightened in the off season to stop a player from spreading out like that when it has nothing to do with stretching for the bag.

You had to see this one coming. I'd point to the day Papelbum declared himself the Nats closer as the day the bottom fell out of their season. What's the Phillies record since they dumped him, by the way?

I should reiterate: the last time the Jays played a playoff game, I had literally just gotten married that afternoon.

Playoff spots are now decided.

AL Playoffs:
Wild Card: Yankees vs. Astros
ALDS 1: Blue Jays vs. Rangers
ALDS 2: Royals vs. Yankees/Astros

NL Playoffs:
Wild Card: Pirates vs. Cubs
NLDS 1: Dodgers vs. Mets
NLDS 2: Cardinals vs. Pirates/Cubs

Go 'Stros!

Jays for the sentimentality of it all, and Astros because.

Pirates (ugh) over the Cubs (double ugh) - though I'd root for PNC Park to slide into the Allegheny.

Dodgers set up better against the Mets. Cards will probably steamroll either the Cubs or Pirates, whoever wins the Wild Card Game.

Jays have been off the radar all year, but I think momentum comes on Houston's side. They win the AL pennant.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals. I hate them, but the Dodgers don't have Kirk Gibson on their bench to pull off some miracle.

So - Astros and Cardinals in that "World Series" that you would have been laughed at about years ago - because of improbability, of course.

I hate the Cardinals, but who in this crowd could possibly beat them?

If the Dodgers fall in the first round again, I will be happy.

I would like to see the Cubs win it this year, just so that like the Red Sox they won't have a stupid curse as an excuse anymore when they continue to suck after that.

I don't get some people. Best record in 106 years and third best in their history, and they (one morbidly obese Ric Flair wannabe radio and TV personality in particular) are still considering this season a failure and their fans suckers.

Yay Cubs for being in the playoffs.

Considering the Cardinals are beat up and missing their best starter for the season, I'd be surprised if they get out of the DS against either the Cubs or Pirates.

Then again, they are the Cardinals and always seem to catch breaks in fortunate situations.

Thing that slightly annoys me: the 95-67 Royals have home field advantage throughout the playoffs, while the 97-65 Cubs can't have home field advantage in any round.

Blame Bud Selig for that one. I'm still waiting for the 12th inning to start.

EDIT: And... are you talking about your Buccos there, Brian? Or the Cubs?

Blame Bud Selig for that one. I'm still waiting for the 12th inning to start.

EDIT: And... are you talking about your Buccos there, Brian? Or the Cubs?
The Pirates. There's one guy who shows up on the weekend sports chat show on WPXI, Mark Madden (our resident wrestling fans may have heard of him), who seems dead set on putting down the Pirates as failures for not winning the division, Hurdle for not ever finishing higher than second (to the Cards all three years), and the fans as suckers for following the team at all. And he does it with the persona of a wrestling heel doing a stand up interview. A couple of weeks ago he even called ALL the viewers of that show stupid.

I guess I can consider not having a tv in the lobby at the new job a perk so I can miss that show on Sundays.

You kinda threw me because this is only your best record since '91. And it's not even in the top 10 in the franchise's best records ever.

Dave

Staff member
I hope the cubs fail miserably and are never seen again. I have nothing against them as a team, but they are owned by the Ricketts family and I fucking loath them, especially dickhead Pete, Nebraska's illustrious governor.

And they will promptly supply power to the new Braves Stadium with the revolutions coming from Ty Cobb's grave if they change the rule to "no hard slides."

Maybe I'm ignorant, but couldn't they have called it interference? He changed his path before starting the slide in order to prevent the second baseman from making the play.

It's not the hard slide that was the problem. It was a dick move by a shitty organization with no regard for others... that was the problem.

That's an out and out at first for interference and if the ump thought it was truly malicious he should have thrown the guy out.

My phone just got an alert from MLB At Bat: Dodgers 2B Chase Utley suspended for NLDS Games 3 and 4 as a result of his illegal slide in the 7th inning Saturday.

Well deserved.

And let me get this straight - the umps didn't call that an automatic double play, and dead-ball situation?