2018 - What's your screen size?

Er, I mean your New Year's Resolution.

Bhamv's helped me narrow mine down. I'm gonna broaden my music listening range, get away from 70's classic rock and 90's modern rock, and focus on what I would be least inclined to listen to, the stuff I have always snobbishly considered beneath me.

I resolve to embrace my inner teenage girl.

Oh, and hey. There's a Rush song for this.

(I'm off to a poor start, eh? )

Last edited:
I don't believe in resolutions, but I am all for supporting any of you who want to make a change for the new year. SMARTER goals are pretty good for giving you a direction.
I use this definition which is slightly different from what's in the link:

Specific
Measureable
Attainable
Relevant
Time-bound
Evaluate
Reward or Re-adjust

IMO "measureable" not only lets you see your progress, but it can also help keep you accountable. I also include a reward instead of only readjust because if you have met a milestone then you need to do something to celebrate your success.

2017 was rough, and flew by like something that flies by quickly, I guess. My metaphors are shot to heck right now. Anyway, I like the looks of that SMARTER goal thing - I've never really believed in the magic of waiting until 1/1 to start trying to better myself or make a change about myself; it didn't work when I wanted to quit smoking, so why would it now? So, with that in mind:

• Re-establish mental health care. There is a 3+ month waiting period to be seen by most therapists in this area, but I need to start making calls and finding a new doc.
  • Schedule time each day to spend (at least) 20 minutes in guided meditation. It doesn't have to be all at once.
  • Take the pupper outside and play with him at least twice a day (in the winter it's hard to find enough daylight to do it more than that, but he's gonna love summer).
  • Research agility courses for dogs and potentially start building an agility course for Luca, if he seems to enjoy it.
  • Explore the remaining restaurants in the area.
  • 1920 x 1080
Most importantly, perhaps, I'm not going to resolve to find a job in 2018. I need a job, want a job, and will look for a job; but too much of "finding a job" is outside of my control, and right now I'm not even sure if I could hold down a job.

Sheesh, last year everyone was all "1920*1080 is an old joke, don't make it, you're doing the thing again". And now it's perfectly fine. Pfuh!

Resolutions.
  • make more art
  • go outside more
  • stop being lazy and study hard
  • worry less about little things
  • stop comparing myself to others
  • plan things every day
  • commit myself to difficult things
  • read more books and watch movies
  • focus more on the good things
  • be spontaneous
  • make people feel good about themselves
  • be a friend to myself
  • be more positive
  • eat more healthy

2017 was... a year. Lots of bad things happened but now I know I have good friend that really care for me and my family and that's a very good thing.

Test for purple belt.
Finish PT for my pelvis and posture, resulting in...
Strengthening my core.
Better manage my stress and anxiety.

And probably browse on my phone less. Browsing will be banished to the computer in 2018.

I really don't know anymore. I don't have much hope for my future. I've pretty much given up on writing. I'm unemployed and haven't even tried looking for another job because I doubt anyone will take me (or where to look). And I don't have high hopes this yoga teacher training will be anything but a waste of time.

I have a question about two of your resolutions since you want to be more positive.
  • stop being lazy and study hard
  • stop comparing myself to others

What will you start doing instead? That would give you a more positive take on what you wish to accomplish. :)

The stop being lazy and studying is about my sewing and my art. As I want to make a career out of it, I'm the only one stopping myself really and I need to stop doing that. I bought couture sewing books and art history books so I can teach myself. I can't afford school and I refuse to go into debt for it so, I'm teaching myself everything I can. And I need to not be lazy about it.

When it comes to comparing myself to others, I don't understand what you mean? Like. I'm going to stop comparing myself to others? That's it. There's little more to it than that. :D

The stop being lazy and studying is about my sewing and my art. As I want to make a career out of it, I'm the only one stopping myself really and I need to stop doing that. I bought couture sewing books and art history books so I can teach myself. I can't afford school and I refuse to go into debt for it so, I'm teaching myself everything I can. And I need to not be lazy about it.

When it comes to comparing myself to others, I don't understand what you mean? Like. I'm going to stop comparing myself to others? That's it. There's little more to it than that. :D
What I mean is rather than stop comparing yourself to others maybe you would list 3 things you like about yourself every day. Maybe you would take time to reflect on your good qualities in a journal. It works basically the same, but can have a different effect because you're working on a solution to comparing yourself to others by seeing yourself in a more positive light. Self-love, self-care, etc.

Instead of "stop being lazy" you could focus more on having good study habits by dedicating X minutes a day to it. Again, you are adding something and reinforcing a positive action.

What I mean is rather than stop comparing yourself to others maybe you would list 3 things you like about yourself every day. Maybe you would take time to reflect on your good qualities in a journal. It works basically the same, but can have a different effect because you're working on a solution to comparing yourself to others by seeing yourself in a more positive light. Self-love, self-care, etc.

Instead of "stop being lazy" you could focus more on having good study habits by dedicating X minutes a day to it. Again, you are adding something and reinforcing a positive action.
Ohhhh, I get it! You want my plan, so to speak. I getcha.

I mean, real talk; I don't have one yet, I haven't decided how I would like to go about my resolutions as of yet, how I want to put them into action. So, I couldn't even tell you. I have some ideas, but I don't...care so much to go into detail? Some of these resolutions are personal, so I wrote the bare minimum to get the point across. But your suggestions are awesome and helpful. Will point me in the right direction! [emoji1]

Try to pay a bit less attention to politics. On paper, 2017 was a great year for me. I moved out, lost a ton of weight, and just got myself together. However, it felt miserable due to the overwhelming dread every aspect of the government causes on a daily basis. I'm not going to completely detach, I still care. I'm just realizing how this constant stream of awfulness just hurts me when I can't even do anything to stop it.*

*This will probably fall apart after the first trump tweet once I go back to work.

Last edited:
1. Retire. (CHECK)
2. Move to Arizona (CHECK - in progress)
3. Find place to live in Arizona (CHECK)
4. Find job that isn't like the one I had in Wisconsin
5. Lose weight by walking more
6. Find an insurance plan that won't break my bank.
7. Have FUN, dammit.

I'm gonna broaden my music listening range, get away from 70's classic rock and 90's modern rock, and focus on what I would be least inclined to listen to, the stuff I have always snobbishly considered beneath me.

I resolve to embrace my inner teenage girl.
So, where to start? How about an American Idol winner? That's something I've scoffed at in the past. Okay. Kelly Clarkson . . . is from nearly 20 years ago.

Sigh. Hey @Dei, what does your daughter listen to?

Pleasedon'tsayJustinBieberPleasedon'tsayJustinBieberPleasedon'tsayJustinBieber . . . I'm gonna have to listen to Justin Bieber, aren't I?

So, where to start? How about an American Idol winner? That's something I've scoffed at in the past. Okay. Kelly Clarkson . . . is from nearly 20 years ago.

Pleasedon'tsayJustinBieberPleasedon'tsayJustinBieberPleasedon'tsayJustinBieber . . . I'm gonna have to listen to Justin Bieber, aren't I?
My daughter is kind of an outlier, she likes things like Twenty One Pilots and Fallout Boy.

Where to start: Spotify. They have tons of 'Top 40' playlists and stuff like that. It's a pretty easy way to listen to new music - they even have a playlist called 'New Music Friday' which they update every week with new stuff. I'm listening to that right now as we speak.

My fav 'new' stuff:
Post Malone
Chance
Kendrick Lamar
Marina and the Diamonds
The Pretty Reckless
Barns Courtney
Twenty One Pilots
Sam Smith
Cardi B

Halsey, Camila Cabello, Machine Gun Kelly, Ed Sheeran, Blackbear, Alessia Cara, Logic, Hozier, Imagine Dragons, Calvin Harris are all pretty high on the popularity scale right now as well. I dunno. Music is hard to recommend for me cause I take music pretty personally.

I resolve to breed more doomweasels, dropbadgers, and laser-otters, and unleash The Scampering in 2018.

Last edited:
Where to start: Spotify. They have tons of 'Top 40' playlists and stuff like that. It's a pretty easy way to listen to new music - they even have a playlist called 'New Music Friday' which they update every week with new stuff. I'm listening to that right now as we speak.

My fav 'new' stuff:
Post Malone
Chance
Kendrick Lamar
Marina and the Diamonds
The Pretty Reckless
Barns Courtney
Twenty One Pilots
Sam Smith
Cardi B

Halsey, Camila Cabello, Machine Gun Kelly, Ed Sheeran, Blackbear, Alessia Cara, Logic, Hozier, Imagine Dragons, Calvin Harris are all pretty high on the popularity scale right now as well. I dunno. Music is hard to recommend for me cause I take music pretty personally.
Hey, get outta my playlist. Too many of those overlap with mine, and I'm not sharing my artists.

You can keep Ed Sheeran. I'm not unreasonable.