Export thread

2015-16 NCAA Basketball Season (and 16-17)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

A little late, but I had to find somewhere to put this...

#11 WVU 74 #1 KU 63

A Great Day To Be A Mountaineer Wherever You May Be!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Way to go WVU!

papachronos

papachronos

So if WVU beat the #1 team last night, and wins at #2 Oklahoma on Saturday (which isn't out of the question), that automatically makes them #1, right?

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Now, let's not start talking crazy. WVU isn't going to beat OU at football or basketball. :twisted:

BOOMER!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Now, let's not start talking crazy. WVU isn't going to beat OU at football or basketball. :twisted:

BOOMER!
How soon we forget...

:D

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Now, now, let's not bring up actual historical facts.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Man, I remember my senior year's basketball team. We had some struggles but they were pretty fun to watch and had some good talent, including Jordan Clarkson who has become a pretty good NBA player. Good tim-

Oh god! My memories! They're fading! We didn't actually play any basketball that year! We had no wins! It never happened! DAMN YOU NCAA!!!

jwhouk

jwhouk

My senior year, my school won the DIII National Tournament in Men's Hoops. :D

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

@DarkAudit :waves: How about them Sooners?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

@DarkAudit :waves: How about them Sooners?
Iowa State says "what about them?" :D

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

"Still No. 1" that's what those Cyclones said. :whistling:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Tuck Fexas. :fu:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Welp. Can't beat Big Green on the gridiron, but we can take 'em on the court.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! :cool:

blotsfan

blotsfan

We doing any kind of bracket thing? I'll set it up if no one else wants to.

papachronos

papachronos

We doing any kind of bracket thing? I'll set it up if no one else wants to.
I'm definitely up for a bracket, as long as someone else is willing to set it up :)

blotsfan

blotsfan

Alright, I made a bracket pool. No prizes, other than the right to have everyone hate you for being so goddamn lucky.

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2016/en/group?groupID=1308196

The password for the group is: nickspromnight

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So ESPN did a bit with a guy from the Miami Zoo asking if teams were their mascots, who would win. Guy only considered the animal mascots (Zoo. I know, right?).

That musket the WVU Mountaineer carries? A fully functioning muzzleloader. It can and has fired live ammunition. A recent former Mountaineer got in a little bit of trouble for using his for bear hunting.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm in.

Yes, DA, I have Wisconsin beating WVU to get to the Elite Eight. So there. :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm in.

Yes, DA, I have Wisconsin beating WVU to get to the Elite Eight. So there. :p
People here don't have UW getting past Pitt. They want a mini Backyard Brawl in Philly.

General Specific

General Specific

I'm in. I do not follow basketball in general or college basketball at all, so it is always fun to watch my picks crash and burn.

Dave

Dave

The closest bracket ever to be perfect was from a guy who knew nothing about NCAA basketball. This is a little skill and a LOT luck.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me. REALLY?

Dave

Dave

...Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me. REALLY?
...no...?

blotsfan

blotsfan

He had Southern winning it all.

Dave

Dave

How do you know? Can you see his bracket? I thought they were hidden.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Southern was a 16 seed who just lost in the play-in game. If he actually had them going all the way he deserves his failure.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I saw that you can't see other brackets until the second round. Understandable. But really - if there was a Yale/Stony Brook final in the tourney, CBS execs would be head-desking for weeks.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I saw that you can't see other brackets until the second round. Understandable. But really - if there was a Yale/Stony Brook final in the tourney, CBS execs would be head-desking for weeks.
I dunno. I think it might get better ratings from the sheer "what the fuck is this i have to watch" factor.

Dave

Dave

Yale hasn't beaten a top 25 team since the 1950's and has never won a tournament game. Are you kidding me?

Stony Brook is looking mighty bad, though.

General Specific

General Specific

I stopped paying attention to the games to have supper when AR Little Rock was down by 11 points to Purdue. I check it again now and find that they not only managed to come back and tie it, but won in double OT. And my bracket is still perfect (as of 7:52 pm, 3/17).

I have officially had my best start ever now.

Dave

Dave

Not me. I'm probably done. Damn it.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

12/16. That's about par for the course for me. Over the years I usually hit about 25-28 / 32 for the first round. I've never had a perfect 16/16 day, but have had a few 15/16's.

The key, however, is that the ones you miss on the first round aren't ones you pick to make a deep run. Losing one of your final 4 picks on day 1 is a killer.

papachronos

papachronos

Yale hasn't beaten a top 25 team since the 1950's and has never won a tournament game. Are you kidding me?
Baylor's gonna Baylor.

Gared

Gared

Baylor's gonna Baylor.
Loved the interview after the game.

Dave

Dave

Specifically, a GREAT answer to a fucking stupid question.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There are no stupid questions.

But there are some inquisitive idiots.

Dave

Dave

And Sparty loses. I had them playing Kansas for the championship. Way to go, you stupid fucks.

blotsfan

blotsfan

61% of ESPN brackets had Michigan State in the final 4. 31% had them in the championship game. You might not be done yet.

General Specific

General Specific

I had Michigan State into the Final Four as well. Damnit, Sparty, how do you lose to freaking Middle Tennessee?

Dave

Dave

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Need more gasoline? :facepalm:

(2nd half has just started as I type this, but WTF?)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My school's rivals are leading against WV...

Dave

Dave

And WV loses. Bye bye bracket. I'll just turn out the lights when I leave.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Damn. I was hoping to gloat when Wisconsin beat the Mountaineers.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

[DOUBLEPOST=1458429058,1458428750][/DOUBLEPOST]I think Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston should have a paternity test to solve the issue.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm wondering why @GasBandit isn't complaining that his station is having to broadcast more Aggie hoops this weekend...

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm wondering why @GasBandit isn't complaining that his station is having to broadcast more Aggie hoops this weekend...
Because we're not allowed to broadcast any Aggie athletics whatsoever. A competitor has an exclusive contract to it since the 1920s.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Lucky them.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

I only lost my two teams in the championship game in the first weekend. I think I'm doing ok

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

When I congratulated SFA for their win on Facebook, my best friend told me to shut my whore mouth.

Since we are SHSU alums.

Dave

Dave

Well Iowa got to the round of 32 so I got that going for me. It was like the Rose Bowl all over again.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Well SFA just lost to Notre Dame 76-75. That takes care of my watching basketball for this calendar year, got my 3 minutes in.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Bill Murray is making sure he'll get his ass kicked next time he's in Wisconsin.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Not sure what was better: the shot, Frank Kamminsky's reaction shot, or hearing "Varsity" sung by the team on-court afterwards...

General Specific

General Specific

:fu: DUUUUUUUUKE!!! *shakes fist*

Edit: Well, there goes my bracket. It can be saved if Villanova and UNC win out, but otherwise I am pretty sunk. Had a good run up until the Elite 8.

blotsfan

blotsfan

M-I-Z-F-k-U!

Dave

Dave

I have 0 teams remaining in the Final Four. I'm out. So long and thanks for all the fish.

General Specific

General Specific

Well, I come home from my weekly game night with my friends to find that with Villanova's win, I won our little bracket. It was fun guys, I am genuinely surprised I did so well. :)

Dave

Dave

Michigan State you bastards.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well, I come home from my weekly game night with my friends to find that with Villanova's win, I won our little bracket. It was fun guys, I am genuinely surprised I did so well. :)
I hate you for being so goddamn lucky.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

tbs? You've got to be kidding. CBS is airing the usual crap procedurals instead of the National Championship game. I kind of understand ESPN airing the football National Championship game, but this is like moving Game 7 of the World Series from Yankee Stadium to Staten Island. Or the Super Bowl from the Superdome to Louisiana-Lafayette.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

From the Wiki about the television deal that went into effect in 2011:

"Initially, CBS will continue to provide coverage during most rounds, with the three Turner channels covering much of the early rounds up to the Sweet Sixteen. Starting in 2016, the regional finals, Final Four and national championship game will begin to alternate between CBS and TBS.[1] TBS will hold the rights to the final two rounds in even numbered years, with CBS getting the games in odd numbered years."

Dave

Dave

We're Big Media. Buy our cable packages or fuck you!

blotsfan

blotsfan

blotsfan

blotsfan

I hope you all watched it. What an ending.

Dave

Dave

Missed it.

Covar

Covar

I hope you all watched it. What an ending.
I hate Carolina so I didn't want to watch in case they won.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I meant to watch the game, but I only looked for it on the major broadcast channels.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Not making a new thread for the 16-17 season this late, but I have to come gloat about Kansas getting knocked out of the Big XII tourney.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Mizzou won more conference tournament games this year than kansas.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I guess I wOUld root for TCU in the BigXII, but since OU is OUt. :(

BErt

Michigan is playing on pure adrenaline after a Wednesday plane cash and I really wouldn't bet against them right now

PatrThom

PatrThom

Michigan is playing on pure adrenaline after a Wednesday plane cash and I really wouldn't bet against them right now
It was VERY windy in Michigan that day.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

So - anyone wanna get together a Bracket game?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I did a smart bracket (computer does the picks) at ESPN. It already had WVU in the Final Four. The only changes I made were vs Duke and Kansas. Honest!

jwhouk

jwhouk

I have WVU getting to the Sweet 16, but kicked to the curb by the Wildcats of Northwestern.

Dave

Dave

So - anyone wanna get together a Bracket game?
@blotsfan created an ESPN pick group that is still there if he wants to redo it for this year.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'll set it up tonight.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Alright heres the group:

http://games.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2017/en/group?groupID=1308196

Password is still nickspromnight

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm in.

EDIT: 'Nova, Northwestern, Kansas, Kentucky; KY over 'Nova in the final.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

In.

Duke/WVU/Kansas/Kentucky, with WVU over Kansas in the final. As long as WVU can get past Duke, it can happen. I don't see them blowing another double digit lead to Kansas in the last two minutes.

General Specific

General Specific

Well, figured since I won last year I'd make a bracket so I could be trounced this year. Good luck, everyone. :)

Gared

Gared

What the hell, I haven't watched a single game this season, but I can still click buttons next to team names - UNC to win it all, over 'Nova.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I just don't see WVU getting out of the West, DA.

papachronos

papachronos

I just don't see WVU getting out of the West, DA.
I don't either - I see them losing to Gonzaga - but we can still be total homers about it, right?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I don't either - I see them losing to Gonzaga - but we can still be total homers about it, right?
You don't have to believe me, but the auto-generated bracket really did have WVU in the Final Four losing to Duke in the semis, and then Kansas beating Duke to win it all. I only changed the last two games. They really should have swept the season series against Kansas, but that's a rant for another day.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

UNC FTW.

papachronos

papachronos

You don't have to believe me, but the auto-generated bracket really did have WVU in the Final Four losing to Duke in the semis, and then Kansas beating Duke to win it all. I only changed the last two games. They really should have swept the season series against Kansas, but that's a rant for another day.
No, I totally believe you. WVU could definitely go all the way, as long as they don't trip over their own feet. Especially since (I don't think) Higgins and crew will be calling any games in the West region.

BErt

Sex

jwhouk

jwhouk

Sorry, I don't think they'll get past Oregon.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And my bracket has gone kerblooie. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jwhouk

jwhouk

That's what we get for not picking our alma maters*, right?

* - Yes, UW is technically not my alma mater, but the UW System got all my money, anyways.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That's what we get for not picking our alma maters*, right?

* - Yes, UW is technically not my alma mater, but the UW System got all my money, anyways.
Wait. Not picking? You had UW going at least this far. I'm confused.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I picked Nova as my finalist in pretty much every bracket I put out.

Sent from my Nextbook on Tapatalk

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

If the computer pick hadn't put WVU in the final four, I would've left it alone. I was shocked that it did. It was Duke that screwed me over instead. :p

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Oh - my brackets are dying. Being beat in this bracket and wrecked in my work bracket.

Dave

Dave

I had Duke winning it all. Now there's no way that Dave wins it all.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Every year I say, "This year I am going to pick more upsets early on", and every year I pick most of the big programs to win. Next year!

General Specific

General Specific

So this is awkward for me. My Alma Mater is South Carolina, I think I've posted in the football threads about that previously. So I am very happy they are advancing. However, I had Duke beating them and going to the Final Four, so it totally wrecks my bracket. Well, I had other issues (Villanova!!), but that was a bigger surprise.

Basically, this is me:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Every year I say, "This year I am going to pick more upsets early on", and every year I pick most of the big programs to win. Next year!
Next time, bracket! NEXT TIME!!

Dave

Dave

My wife filled out a bracket at her work. She has never watched a basketball game. She's killing it!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My wife filled out a bracket at her work. She has never watched a basketball game. She's killing it!
Knowing anything about basketball does not affect the chances of winning a bracket. Actually knowing a lot about basketball actually tends to hinder people in picking winners in the playoffs.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I had Duke winning it all. Now there's no way that Dave wins it all.
But you can still take the fall.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

THBBPPTT.

OTOH, Fairmont State is in the D2 National Championship game Saturday. They're about 20 miles south of here. And the arena they're playing in, the Sanford Pentagon, is a heapin' helpin' of old school cool.

blotsfan

blotsfan

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And that's three of my final four out. So it goes.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The world is safe for another year.

General Specific

General Specific

And that's three of my final four out. So it goes.

Same here, only my champ pick, Gonzaga, is left.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I only saw UK-UO as a semi pick in one of my three brackets.

Sadly, it's not the HF brackets. :(

Dave

Dave

Well, Kentucky losing seals it. I'm completely done.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

All out. As a fan I'm glad Kansas and Kentucky bombed over the weekend.

General Specific

General Specific

SC lost their game against Gonzaga. :( But, with UNC also advancing, it has come down to me or @drawn_inward

If Gonzaga wins, I win the bracket for a second year. If UNC wins, Drawn_inward wins it instead and I drop to third behind him and @Gared

Gared

Gared

For my part, I'm just happy that I got one of the finalists right, but as a local boy, I gotta root for the Zags.

General Specific

General Specific

Well, congrats, @drawn_inward! :)

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Yay! Thanks! Campus is quiet this morning. I think everyone stayed out way late. I'm too old for such shenanigans. I was tenth in my work bracket. I went from dead last to tenth in one night. Not bad.

General Specific

General Specific

I am actually quite pleased you won and not me. I'd have felt kinda bad winning two years in a row. I probably would have sat out next year's tournament just so we'd have a new winner. But now I can join in again with no guilt. :)

BErt

I just wanted to take a moment and let everyone know that I have declared for the NBA draft, but I have not hired an agent so as to maintain my amateur status. Thank you all and God bless.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I just wanted to take a moment and let everyone know that I have declared for the NBA draft, but I have not hired an agent so as to maintain my amateur status. Thank you all and God bless.
ONE AND DONE!! :p