YouTube help

YouTube is annoying me. My daughter had her dance recital on Friday. Of course they danced to Disney songs which are copyrighted. I want to be able to show these videos to other family members and friends. They are coming up as blocked. I tried Vimeo, Flickr and Veoh, but they don't recognize the video format from my camera's HD (which I don't understand at all). Right now I'm trying a direct upload to Facebook to see if that works. Any other ideas?
Also, I want to take all of my videos off of YouTube. I need to download a few of them since I don't know if I have them saved elsewhere. How do I do that?

I don't remember if YouTube lets you download your uploaded videos (and I forgot my password, so....), but I use a browser extension called Youtube Center.

You can use something like Super or Handbrake to transcode your video to something acceptable for Vimeo, Flickr, etc., assuming your video format is supported. H.264 is probably the way to go.

Oh hey, I found my password. If you go to Settings>Video Manger then select Edit on whichever video, you have an option to download an MP4 of that video.

MP4's appear to be the most widely supported at the moment, with H.264 as the specific "format of the day."
H.265 is coming, though.

--Patrick

YouTube is annoying me. My daughter had her dance recital on Friday. Of course they danced to Disney songs which are copyrighted. I want to be able to show these videos to other family members and friends. They are coming up as blocked. I tried Vimeo, Flickr and Veoh, but they don't recognize the video format from my camera's HD (which I don't understand at all). Right now I'm trying a direct upload to Facebook to see if that works. Any other ideas?
Also, I want to take all of my videos off of YouTube. I need to download a few of them since I don't know if I have them saved elsewhere. How do I do that?
If you mark the videos as private, there is an option to tell YouTube that you want to use them as just private/fair use videos. We had this problem with a memorial video made after a funeral; YouTube unblocked it within a day.

I wonder if there is a mechanism that autodetects copyrighted material (the Disney music) and stops the upload. It would be great if they told you specifically why the uploads are failing. Alternatively, you could try putting the videos in a shared/public dropbox folder and emailing the link to your desired recipients. It might even stream in a web browser without having them download the file first.

If you set it to private, can you still share it? I only put them on YouTube so my parents and in-laws can see my kids.
Yes, but the person viewing the link will get a message that the video is private and only available to people who know the link.
(unless this has changed, too)

--Patrick

That's the unlisted setting. Last night I tested out private and even though I used the direct link it came up that I couldn't view the video. It even had a sad face at the end of the message. I also found out I cannot download any of my videos that YouTube has a copyright claim against. So, most of my kids' school performances are not downloadable. Fortunately those were backed up on an external drive, but the idea that I cannot download my own videos from there adds to my annoyance with YouTube.

That's the unlisted setting. Last night I tested out private and even though I used the direct link it came up that I couldn't view the video. It even had a sad face at the end of the message. I also found out I cannot download any of my videos that YouTube has a copyright claim against. So, most of my kids' school performances are not downloadable. Fortunately those were backed up on an external drive, but the idea that I cannot download my own videos from there adds to my annoyance with YouTube.
Extensions for downloading:
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-youtube/
Chrome: http://www.chromeextensions.org/utilities/chrome-youtube-downloader/#.U010IPldV8E