Export thread

Your Unpopular Gaming Opinion(s)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

PC Gamer published an article recently on unpopular gaming opinions. I thought it might make for a good discussion thread.

Here's some of mine:

1) I miss the days when collecting stuff in game unlocked stuff. Not just gave you experience and an achievement/trophy. Every 10 or so packages collected in GTA 3 gave you a gun in your hideout. Now, it's XP and a trophy. The same goes for unlocking costumes. Before, it was collecting certain things or unlocking certain things in-game. Now,it's just DLC. I loved unlocking costumes in the first PS1 Spider-Man game. Each outfit had different abilities, too!

2) Most AAA games kind of blend together these days. They're very corporatized. Indie games have had the most innovation in the past decade. And wind up having more replayability than games with budgets larger than a small country's GDP.

3) Many Assassin's Creed games could easily be their own, new IP with a little tweaking. AC IV: Black Flag was great when it was just the pirate stuff. The assassin stuff dragged it down. Remove it and you have a great, new pirate game. Look at Origins. It could have had a great new Egyptian themed game. Just use the same engine, tweak it with new features and abilities, and boom. New IP rather than jumping on the AC dead horse.

4) Pre-rendered cutscenes are completely unnecessary today when the same thing can be achieved with the in-game engine. Cutscenes are generally annoying and a waste of time, anyway. It'd be better to incorporate it into the game itself and let the player experience it.

5) Now HERE'S an unpopular opinion: annual sports games (are they still a I thing? I don't pay attention to them) should be replaced by a service with an annual fee. Basically an online game like Overwatch or Dota2. Game and roster updates, patches, etc.

6) Any new generation of console should allow you to carry over your digital purchases from the old system. It's why I didn't get a PS4: I couldn't carry over my PSN games from my PS3. And yet, I can still play games on Steam I bought 10 years ago. ALL HAIL THE PC MASTER RACE.

7) Here's a doozy: if your game is entirely online and has microtransactions? Let it be free to play. You'll make your money back fast with the microtransactions. Looking at you, Overwatch.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I feel like we don’t need any new battle royale games for a while.

—Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Every 10 or so packages collected in GTA 3 gave you a gun in your hideout
Vice City would give you a helicopter for getting all of them, IIRC. After playing through normally, I used a trainer to teleport to all the packages before starting a new game. So OP for those first few missions. Mua ha ha. :D

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

5) Now HERE'S an unpopular opinion: annual sports games (are they still a I thing? I don't pay attention to them) should be replaced by a service with an annual fee. Basically an online game like Overwatch or Dota2. Game and roster updates, patches, etc.
I would be against this because I still break out F1 2010 instead of the more recent ones, but, well, auto racing isn't a sport. :awesome:

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

By the way, apart from the sports subscription and microtransactions, it looks to me like your opinions would only be unpopular with game makers.

mikerc

mikerc

Valve should not make Half-Life 3. It's been 14 years since HL2, 11 since HL2E2 - are any of the team that made it even still at Valve? It would just be a disappointment, leave the series dormant rather than damage its legacy with a poor sequel.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Portal was very meh.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Half-Life 1 was pretty shitty, and its main redeeming value is in facilitating the existence of Counter Strike and Team Fortress Classic, and later on the Source engine and its offspring.

PopCap and Candy Crush-type games are just as legitimate as your indie darling of the week, and people that spend time playing them are gamers.

Tracer's ass is boring, I'd rather oil Bastion's sweet sweet posterior.

We need better and more detailed age ratings and content warnings.

figmentPez

figmentPez

1) I miss the days when collecting stuff in game unlocked stuff. Not just gave you experience and an achievement/trophy. Every 10 or so packages collected in GTA 3 gave you a gun in your hideout. Now, it's XP and a trophy. The same goes for unlocking costumes. Before, it was collecting certain things or unlocking certain things in-game. Now,it's just DLC. I loved unlocking costumes in the first PS1 Spider-Man game. Each outfit had different abilities, too!
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, unlocking stuff is fun. On the other hand, there are some games where the requirements to unlock stuff is insane. (I'm looking at you Mario Party 2. Having to finish the Mini-Game Coaster on Hard to unlock Battle mini-games, including the amazing Bumper Balls? That's just stupid unfair.)

My list of unpopular opinions:

1 a. The Steam Controller is the best innovation in controllers since dual analog sticks.
b. Using gryoscopic fine aim on controllers should be standard for all FPS and third-person shooters. It's ridiculous how few console games support this. The Dualshock 4 has the motion control to do this, but I can only find evidence of a handful of games that do so (and mainly from Nintendo. Most notably Splatoon.)

2. Shorter games are better games. No game benefits from having over 100 hours of content. Most games don't benefit from having over 50. A good number of games are better, or would be better, because they're under 20 hours to complete. The number that benefit from being under 5 hours to finish is not insignificant. More games need an editor to cut the fluff. Just like Robert Jordan needed someone to tell him that the Wheel of Time books were just getting ridiculous, a lot of games need an objective eye to say "is this fun? is this necessary? is this really good enough to keep in?" More is not better.

3. a. Games don't have to be difficult in order to be fun.
b. If a game isn't difficult enough for you, even on it's hardest setting, then make up your own damn rules to make it harder. Act like an adult, handicap yourself. If the OP gun is OP, then don't use the damn thing. Create a Nuzlocke version of the game. Speed run. Low percent run. Whatever. Stop demanding that everyone else cater to your poor self control.

By the way, apart from the sports subscription and microtransactions, it looks to me like your opinions would only be unpopular with game makers.
I think you mean game publishers.

Dei

Dei

2. Shorter games are better games. No game benefits from having over 100 hours of content. Most games don't benefit from having over 50. A good number of games are better, or would be better, because they're under 20 hours to complete. The number that benefit from being under 5 hours to finish is not insignificant. More games need an editor to cut the fluff. Just like Robert Jordan needed someone to tell him that the Wheel of Time books were just getting ridiculous, a lot of games need an objective eye to say "is this fun? is this necessary? is this really good enough to keep in?" More is not better.
This is one of those things that depends on game genre I think. Some games are artificially long because they pad out their content with grinding. That shit needs to go. Some games aren't super long, but have a lot of replayability. Some games are short, and have no replayability because it's just a linear story delivery device. Some games span 50 - 100+ hours, but you barely feel the time go by because the journey was compelling enough to hold your attention.

The criticism for short games comes in when you have a game that is basically a two hour linear story device and costs more than a movie ticket or a DVD/movie download/BluRay/whatever. There are plenty of short games that many people would consider perfection. (Undertale, Portal) Same with long triple digit spanning games. (Persona games come to mind here) I would say, any game can be a good game, as long as you aren't trying to appease the market by adding artificial bloat.

My unpopular opinion is that all console games should be able to use keyboard/mouse, since there all consoles have the USB inputs anyways. But it should be an option for games, never a requirement.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ooh, another unpopular opinion:

I'm NEVER impressed by games touting gigantic maps. You spend half the game just getting from one destination to another or watching loading screens from fast travel. The locales rarely differ from one another, too. Most of it is bland as hell, with long stretches of absolutely nothing interesting.

I'd love a game with a smaller, more detailed map where every inch of it is important and unique. For example, I always thought a small town setting where you play a sheriff would be interesting. You could design the interior and exterior of each house or store with each townperson playing a role. Solve mysteries, etc.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Some games aren't super long, but have a lot of replayability.
A 90 minute movie doesn't become 180 minutes of content just because you can rewatch it.

Some games span 50 - 100+ hours, but you barely feel the time go by because the journey was compelling enough to hold your attention.
Yeah, I struggled a lot with the wording of my post because there are differences between genres. Still, I stand by what I said. Any game that's got over 100 hours of content has got something that should have been cut. I have never played an RPG that long that didn't have something that was just pointless and detracted from the game. Even Planescape: Torment, my favorite RPG, which is 40-60 hours for a first playthrough, had stuff that would have been better left on the cutting room floor. I'm not saying being over 100 hours makes a game bad, I just think it's impossible to reach that length without accumulating some crud that needs to be scraped off.

Being short doesn't make a game good, that's true, just as a short story isn't better than a novel. However, a really long novel pretty much always needs to be cut. Same goes for a video game. At some point every medium starts to collapse on itself from the weight of trying to fit too much into one single work. What's too long for a song may be a lot shorter than what's too long for a movie, and even shorter than what's too long for a book, but there's a limit somewhere, and most works in a genre will want to stay far away from that limit.

Video games are really weird that way. Most of them try to push the limit because gamers are often obsessed with the value proposition of how many hours they can get for their dollar, or otherwise valuing longer games as better. We don't do the same thing with music or movies. "American Pie" (8:37) may have spent four weeks at #1, but it's a rare exception for a song that long to be that good. No song over 10 mintues has ever cracked the top 100 Billboard hits. Most songs are 3 - 4 mintues, because that's what works. Fiction novels rarely top 1,000 pages, and most come in much shorter. Movies rarely go over 3 hours, and most come in around 100 minutes.

So, yes, I stand by my unpopular opinion that shorter games are better, because the length of games has been over-inflated for too long, and the market as a whole needs to stop encouraging that.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I think you mean game publishers.
Sure.

Also, I'm gonna take this opportunity to confirm that, yes, that is my actual (and clearly unpopular) opinion of Portal. I sleepwalked through it, uninterested, only playing it because everyone was talking about it. I've been waiting years for a chance to express that opinion in a suitable conversation.

strawman

strawman

You are dead to me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Tracer's ass is boring, I'd rather oil Bastion's sweet sweet posterior.
I don’t get the amount of attention she receives, either. Maybe it’s the accent and the fact that she’s a teenage stand-in.
We need better and more detailed age ratings and content warnings.
See above.
At some point every medium starts to collapse on itself from the weight of trying to fit too much into one single work.
Lookin’ at you, Victor Hugo!
You are dead to me.
And while he’s dying, you’ll be still alive.

—Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Half-Life 1 was pretty shitty, and its main redeeming value is in facilitating the existence of Counter Strike and Team Fortress Classic, and later on the Source engine and its offspring.
Man, I respectfully disagree on that. So many people (not saying you, specifically) forget how revolutionary Half-Life for FPS games. Nothing held a candle do it at the time.

Dei

Dei

A 90 minute movie doesn't become 180 minutes of content just because you can rewatch it.

Yeah, I struggled a lot with the wording of my post because there are differences between genres. Still, I stand by what I said. Any game that's got over 100 hours of content has got something that should have been cut. I have never played an RPG that long that didn't have something that was just pointless and detracted from the game. Even Planescape: Torment, my favorite RPG, which is 40-60 hours for a first playthrough, had stuff that would have been better left on the cutting room floor. I'm not saying being over 100 hours makes a game bad, I just think it's impossible to reach that length without accumulating some crud that needs to be scraped off.

Being short doesn't make a game good, that's true, just as a short story isn't better than a novel. However, a really long novel pretty much always needs to be cut. Same goes for a video game. At some point every medium starts to collapse on itself from the weight of trying to fit too much into one single work. What's too long for a song may be a lot shorter than what's too long for a movie, and even shorter than what's too long for a book, but there's a limit somewhere, and most works in a genre will want to stay far away from that limit.

Video games are really weird that way. Most of them try to push the limit because gamers are often obsessed with the value proposition of how many hours they can get for their dollar, or otherwise valuing longer games as better. We don't do the same thing with music or movies. "American Pie" (8:37) may have spent four weeks at #1, but it's a rare exception for a song that long to be that good. No song over 10 mintues has ever cracked the top 100 Billboard hits. Most songs are 3 - 4 mintues, because that's what works. Fiction novels rarely top 1,000 pages, and most come in much shorter. Movies rarely go over 3 hours, and most come in around 100 minutes.

So, yes, I stand by my unpopular opinion that shorter games are better, because the length of games has been over-inflated for too long, and the market as a whole needs to stop encouraging that.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I think that cutting games down to the bare necessities does a lot of games a disservice. I'm not talking about needless grinding or things like that, but some amount of "fluff" can give a game character. Which I guess, again, I'm thinking of the Persona series, all games which easily take me over 100 hours to complete.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Nothing held a candle [to] it at the time.
...not even Goldeneye or Turok?

—Patrick

Denbrought

Denbrought

Man, I respectfully disagree on that. So many people (not saying you, specifically) forget how revolutionary Half-Life for FPS games. Nothing held a candle do it at the time.
Duke Nukem 3D, for one, struck me as distinctly better (both back when they were coming out and now). Half Life feels closer to a demo for the engine that gave us (other) fantastic games.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I feel like I got nothing to put here, you guys have already heard all my unpopular opinions, because I spout them off all the time :p

Dirona

Dirona

Oh I've got one: Chrono Trigger is boring.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I feel like I got nothing to put here, you guys have already heard all my unpopular opinions, because I spout them off all the time :p
Not enough redhead characters? :p

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Get out.gif

Terrik

Terrik

I think 4x games are often needlessly complex and often get way too bogged down in minutiae by the time you finish the game. On paper they seem fucking great. When I imagine them in my mind they seem fucking great. Yet every single time I try to play them, I'm super interested for the first hour or two and then either the game has so many areas/planets/armies/etc that I need to check on that I lose focus on the overall state of my game or a player/CPU has basically death-snowballed the entire match with no hope of recovery.

Dirona

Dirona

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You said "unpopular"!
TOO UNPOPULAR.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not enough redhead characters? :p
Come now, every game needs more redheads, that's just common sense. Hardly an "unpopular" opinion!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Come now, every game needs more redheads, that's just common sense. Hardly an "unpopular" opinion!
Can you make a custom yaml that restricts the character generator? Hmm...

—Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

That makes me sad, but this thread needs to remain a safe place to express unpopular game opinions.

I think I may be alone in liking FF VII.

I also don’t get sports games, but then I don’t get sports lol.

Terrik

Terrik

That makes me sad, but this thread needs to remain a safe place to express unpopular game opinions.

I think I may be alone in liking FF VII.

I also don’t get sports games, but then I don’t get sports lol.
Wanna know an unpopular gaming opinion? I liked final fantasy XIII

GasBandit

GasBandit

I liked the Laguna parts a lot!

Dei

Dei

I liked the Laguna parts a lot!
Not 8. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

/headdesk

I was so busy counting the Is I didn't realize it was an X and not a V.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I meant 8, I just screwed up with the Roman numerals lol.

Terrik

Terrik

/headdesk

It's like you're not even a fan.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's like you're not even a fan.
Well, I haven't been, really. Not since 8....

Celt Z

Celt Z

Video gamer reviewers are self-aggrandizing and mainly completely useless. I don't watch them, read them, and they have 0 effect on my enjoyment of games.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Video gamer reviewers are self-aggrandizing and mainly completely useless. I don't watch them, read them, and they have 0 effect on my enjoyment of games.
Ouch, Keltsy. Ouch.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That's the crudest map of the lower 48 states I've ever seen.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

/headdesk

I thought you did that on purpose since both are unpopular Final Fantasy games :p.

But a lot of the long games aren't really 100+ hours long, they just have 100+ hours worth of content. You can play Skyrim for hundred of hours, but it takes like 10 to play the main story. Witcher 3 can probably be completed in a short time, but you'd have to skip all the neat little stories. It's all optional.

I don't know how many hours of content is in an AssCreed game because I always just plow through the story and do as little side stuff as possible. I also don't play those boring ass games anymore though.

3. a. Games don't have to be difficult in order to be fun.
b. If a game isn't difficult enough for you, even on it's hardest setting, then make up your own damn rules to make it harder. Act like an adult, handicap yourself. If the OP gun is OP, then don't use the damn thing. Create a Nuzlocke version of the game. Speed run. Low percent run. Whatever. Stop demanding that everyone else cater to your poor self control.
Nuzlocke! \m/

Celt Z

Celt Z

Ouch, Keltsy. Ouch.

If it makes you feel any better, it is the Unpopular Opinion thread. I'm in the minority.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Does Gas review games on his channel? I haven't seen that pop up on my Youtube feed.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Does Gas review games on his channel? I haven't seen that pop up on my Youtube feed.
Not recently, but I did video reviews for Fallen Enchantress, Road Redemption, Carmageddon Reincarnation, Killing Floor 2, Robocraft, and a couple others I think...

Plus I used to have a website entirely dedicated to me reviewing video games.

If it makes you feel any better, it is the Unpopular Opinion thread. I'm in the minority.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, here's one maybe... I agree with all of Brent's points about that sacredest of cows, Ocarina of Time.

Even when it first came out, my first reaction was one of revulsion. It was a clunky, blurry, smudgy, poorly controlled low-res mess that gave me a headache to play. It felt like a massive step backwards after Mario 64.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Here is one: "PC master race" is a stupid phrase that is borderline offensive.

Dave

Dave

Last time I used that phrase a guy did the nazi salute, thinking I said something about the master race. I really watch what I say now. (An my wife was there, thankfully, or even I wouldn't have believed it.)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Last time I used that phrase a guy did the nazi salute, thinking I said something about the master race. I really watch what I say now. (An my wife was there, thankfully, or even I wouldn't have believed it.)
Referencing internet memes IRL never goes well, even for the harmless ones :(

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I always said it ironically. I can't stand people who actually took the term seriously. Even Yahtzee hates how it became popularized, since it originated in one of his videos.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Can't even say "Master/Slave" with IDE any more thanks to the PC patrol.
At least you can still say "dongle."

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Can't even say "Master/Slave" with IDE any more thanks to the PC patrol.
At least you can still say "dongle."

--Patrick
Depends on where you are.

PatrThom

PatrThom

“Donglegate” sounds even more suggestive.

—Patrick

chris

chris

"Other M" is not as bad as everybody claims to be.

"Last of us" is overrated and I don't get the appeal. (I haven't played it, though)

The Devolver Digital "PK" at E3 2018 was only somewhat funny.

GasBandit

GasBandit

HERE'S one I always get raked over the coals on: RTS games should have APM caps. Nothing drives me up the walls faster than seeing a RTS player clicking like mad whether they need to, or not. Look, the point is, an RTS is supposed to simulate the difficulty of issuing orders and maintaining situational awareness in a REAL TIME environment. It doesn't mean you should be constantly doing the equivalent of screaming into your radio "GO HERE NOW 2 FEET FURTHER NOW 2 FEET FURTHER NOW HERE HERE HERE HERE NOW OVER THERE"

This is one of the things I liked about a tactical game I saw recently.. they have a "Focus" bar.

It caps at 4 (and you can unlock up to two more), and regenerates 1 command per 4 seconds. That means you can issue, at most, 4 (later 6) commands all at once, but then are limited to a command every 4 seconds until you lay off and let them regenerate. That more realistically approximates the process of issuing orders to troops.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

HERE'S one I always get raked over the coals on: RTS games should have APM caps. Nothing drives me up the walls faster than seeing a RTS player clicking like mad whether they need to, or not. Look, the point is, an RTS is supposed to simulate the difficulty of issuing orders and maintaining situational awareness in a REAL TIME environment. It doesn't mean you should be constantly doing the equivalent of screaming into your radio "GO HERE NOW 2 FEET FURTHER NOW 2 FEET FURTHER NOW HERE HERE HERE HERE NOW OVER THERE"

This is one of the things I liked about a tactical game I saw recently.. they have a "Focus" bar.

It caps at 4 (and you can unlock up to two more), and regenerates 1 command per 4 seconds. That means you can issue, at most, 4 (later 6) commands all at once, but then are limited to a command every 4 seconds until you lay off and let them regenerate. That more realistically approximates the process of issuing orders to troops.
I'm with you? One of the things that turns me off from playing Starcraft 2 or Dawn of War 3 online is that I'm not playing the APM game. I don't need a game to show me I can't click a mouse as furiously as a 13 year old. I already know that.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Which is why at this point I just stick with turn-based, like X-COM and Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm with you? One of the things that turns me off from playing Starcraft 2 or Dawn of War 3 online is that I'm not playing the APM game. I don't need a game to show me I can't click a mouse as furiously as a 13 year old. I already know that.
That's why I like games like Supreme Commander, where formation and planning are much more important than giving orders quickly. Also, I recall there was another RTS (I forget which one though.. was it maybe C&C Generals?) where the first step in executing any order was the unit stood still for a half second while it "figured out" what it was going to do, so that if you clicked rapidly to give orders, the unit never moves. Penalizes the people who think "I R STRAGETIST" because they click 10 times a second.

Tress

Tress

I’ll go one further: fuck all RTS games made in the last 15 years.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Eh, I'd go as far as 10, but Supreme Commander came out in 2007 :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So we're all just old, right?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I literally stopped playing Dawn of War 3 on the last stage.

"So here... you need to exclusively use your three main hero units to do this!"
"You mean those three fuckers I hated using the entire time? There was a reason I picked the hero units I didn't need to micromanage on the fly. If THIS is your idea of fun, I'm out."

When I uninstalled the game, they literally sent me a survey email and asked why I'd stopped on the last level (like this had happened alot) and that was basically my response. "Your hero units suck and are unfun. Let me direct my god damn army, like the last two games. Also, your campaign mode sucks and that has been THE ONLY draw I've had to this series. Maybe focus on that next time instead of shitting out this multiplayer fuck fest."

That was my response to the final mission of the Terran Campaign in SC2 as well. "So instead of being able to strategize my unit placement, all I can do is dump out whatever I can manage to build to protect the weapon until you say it's over? Fine." *15 tries later* UNINSTALL.

Dei

Dei

I literally stopped playing Dawn of War 3 on the last stage.

"So here... you need to exclusively use your three main hero units to do this!"
"You mean those three fuckers I hated using the entire time? There was a reason I picked the hero units I didn't need to micromanage on the fly. If THIS is your idea of fun, I'm out."

When I uninstalled the game, they literally sent me a survey email and asked why I'd stopped on the last level (like this had happened alot) and that was basically my response. "Your hero units suck and are unfun. Let me direct my god damn army, like the last two games. Also, your campaign mode sucks and that has been THE ONLY draw I've had to this series. Maybe focus on that next time instead of shitting out this multiplayer fuck fest."

That was my response to the final mission of the Terran Campaign in SC2 as well. "So instead of being able to strategize my unit placement, all I can do is dump out whatever I can manage to build to protect the weapon until you say it's over? Fine." *15 tries later* UNINSTALL.
I didn't beat that last Terran mission either. I did manage to finish others though.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Fucking hate online multiplayer games. Idiots everywhere.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Fucking hate online multiplayer games. Idiots everywhere.
^This. So much this. I've talked before about my love for Awesomenauts. But it's unplayable for me because of the toxic community. Same goes for any online game.

Now come on, what about Age of Mythology.

*checks its release date: 2002, so 16 years ago*

Never mind. Carry on.

Frank

Frank

I think 4x games are often needlessly complex and often get way too bogged down in minutiae by the time you finish the game. On paper they seem fucking great. When I imagine them in my mind they seem fucking great. Yet every single time I try to play them, I'm super interested for the first hour or two and then either the game has so many areas/planets/armies/etc that I need to check on that I lose focus on the overall state of my game or a player/CPU has basically death-snowballed the entire match with no hope of recovery.
This, entirely this. On paper I feel like a 4x game is everything I want. In practice it is not.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There was a 4x space game that allowed you to set planets to self-manage so you didn't have to micromanage them later in the game when you had 20+ planets and it wasn't as important to wring every percentage of efficiency out of them... but I forget which one it was... I wanna say.. Ascendancy? That was one of my favorites, back in the day.

figmentPez

figmentPez

There was a 4x space game that allowed you to set planets to self-manage so you didn't have to micromanage them later in the game when you had 20+ planets and it wasn't as important to wring every percentage of efficiency out of them... but I forget which one it was... I wanna say.. Ascendancy? That was one of my favorites, back in the day.
Master of Orion 2 had a self managing system, but it was dumb as bricks. I haven't played anything since Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, so I don't know what changes have been made since then. I always wanted to be able to set global rules for the auto-managing. In MoO2 pretty much every single new colony got exactly the same build queue. I never understood why there wasn't an option to set a global build order list. You can't even tell the AI to not build certain structures in that game.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Master of Orion 2 had a self managing system, but it was dumb as bricks. I haven't played anything since Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, so I don't know what changes have been made since then. I always wanted to be able to set global rules for the auto-managing. In MoO2 pretty much every single new colony got exactly the same build queue. I never understood why there wasn't an option to set a global build order list. You can't even tell the AI to not build certain structures in that game.
My MoO2 games were all the same: Take over systems, manually queue what I considered the "essential" items so that the dumb options were no longer available to the AI, manually rush construction of those essentials, then turn on auto-build so it will fill in the rest until the game notifies me that it has finished building everything available, then rebalance it to trade goods so it can contribute to the rush building of other planets.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

My MoO2 games were all the same: Take over systems, manually queue what I considered the "essential" items so that the dumb options were no longer available to the AI, manually rush construction of those essentials, then turn on auto-build so it will fill in the rest until the game notifies me that it has finished building everything available, then rebalance it to trade goods so it can contribute to the rush building of other planets.
But auto-build makes Food Replicators, which ruins the strategy of having farming planets.

Soupy

Soupy

Try Distant Worlds: Universe.

PatrThom

PatrThom

But auto-build makes Food Replicators, which ruins the strategy of having farming planets.
I never use farming planets. Everyone gets the minimum # of farmers to meet local needs, the rest goes into production/science.

—Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

How about UGO from a hardware perspective?

RGB LEDs can DIAF. I don’t build a computer because I need a night light, dangit.

—Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

RGB LEDs can DIAF. I don’t build a computer because I need a night light, dangit.
Emphasis on the B, because blue LEDs were a problem before RGB lighting became a trend. My decade old netbook has a blue LED on it's power brick, and I literally used it as a night light when I was on a cruise. One blue LED lit up the entire room enough to navigate to the bathroom in the middle of the night. It's ridiculous how bright power indicators are on a lot of gadgets. (And yet, my current phone doesn't even have an LED indicator light, because apparently that's something low end phones cheap out on these days.)

Dei

Dei

I think the characters in Persona 4 are better than the characters in Persona 5. Same for just general character interaction.

bhamv3

bhamv3

My opinion that'll be unpopular among Fallout purists but probably not too uncontroversial among gamers in general:

Fallout 4 has become my favorite Fallout game.

Dave

Dave

My opinion that'll be unpopular among Fallout purists but probably not too uncontroversial among gamers in general:

Sometimes opinions are wrong.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I, on the other hand, am of the opinion it's a darn shame no Fallout games were ever released after 2 - it seems like a game that could be updated and brought into the modern age of gaming. They only need to be careful not to turn it into some sort of Skyrim-with-guns monstrosity.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I, on the other hand, am of the opinion it's a darn shame no Fallout games were ever released after 2 - it seems like a game that could be updated and brought into the modern age of gaming. They only need to be careful not to turn it into some sort of Skyrim-with-guns monstrosity.
That New Vegas mod was pretty close, though

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm not a big fan of apocalyptic or zombie scenario games. Mostly stuff like that just grosses me out. Of course, I'm not a big FPS fan, either.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I think most games would be vastly improved if the final boss you had to beat was usually my dick.

"Now that you have conquered the vast hordes of the undead, can you prove yourself the ultimate champion by beating...my dick."
"Woah, let's step back a minute here..."