[Gaming] Your perfect space combat/exploration game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
So say for the sake of argument that someone was writing a game for the board. That game is going to be a space explore/conquer a la Trade Wars.

What does this game have to have to make it so you don't bitch at the author for not having this in it?

Dave

Staff member
Okay, here's a bit more information. This would be a Forum game. Like you'd click on a tab above and it would take you to the page to play.

Sounds a bit like ForumWars, which I dug until I had to pay for the rest. I'd be down for something like that. You could have different roles based on HF jokes.

I'm totally up for some trade wars action. I spent a good chunk of my mispent youth on a bbs playing tradewars 2002.

For me, it has to have the basics:
- Travel to adjacent star systems
- Trading goods for cash
- Setting up planets/holds protected by your own attack systems/craft/something
- Upgrading planets you own/protect
- Attacking and/or stealing from other players and/or their planets
- Protected "federation" star systems where you can't attack or be attacked, unless you can beat the federation's firepower (good for beginners) - trading still available, but not as lucrative as going to unprotected systems
- Ship upgrades (turns per day (speed), hold size, armor, weapons)
- Auto move (warp) so if you've explored area 342, you can say "go to 342" and it'll tell you how many moves it will cost, then use them up so you don't have to memorize routes and perform the 20+ moves manually.

Even the simple version of tradewars is quite complex, so if it's still in development I'd be interested in playing even if it's not fully fleshed out. Should probably start with a small universe.

So, uh, yeah. I would be in favor of something similar to this...

Another way to fill up my time at work when I have nothing going on, that doesn't look like a game to IT because it's part of a forum I visit every day anyway? Where do I sign up?

Dave

Staff member
Okay, I'm trying my hand at my first real addon. I've written a couple small ones, but this would be a bit...bigger.

Here's all I have so far (storyboarding and writing the game itself):

There will be 3-8 races, each with varying degrees of skill in certain things. Please note that right now special abilities would be out of my reach.
There will be 3 TYPES of skills: Planet, Ship, and Trade/Exploration.
There will be 4-10 different ship types, each with different levels of combat/trading ability.
Skills and stats are base 10, with each point giving a 10% boost to whatever. Example: A player with a Ship's Defense skill of 5 would have a 50% boost to the ship's base defense. If the base defense was a 30 then that player's ship would have an effective defense of 45.
The map will be randomly generated, but static for each individual game. I think this will be the hardest thing to program and be even.

What I'm envisioning is that instead of having to travel in straight lines like a linear shipping lane, people can move their fleets past enemies without detection, as long as they have the range to be able to make the assault.

Example:

Player 1 and Player 2 are having it out. The systems are aligned like this: System A -(10 Units)-> System B -(15 Units)->System C -(40 Units)-> System D -(15 Units)-> System E

Units are the distance between the systems, by the way. Player 2 controls Systems B & C. Player 1 controls System A only. Player 1's ships have an assault range of 70 so he could put all of his eggs in one basket and send all units to any of the Systems except for System E, which is 80 Units away. now, the farther away a System is, the longer it takes to get there. So Player 2 could assault System A only to find it empty and defenseless. Sure he gets the planet, but where did Player 1 send his fleet? Two turns later System C gets whacked as it was vulnerable due to the assault force leaving.

So while it's a simple system, it does allow for some strategy.

Players would be able to make a certain number of moves per day and everyone's actual turns would be resolved at a specific time.
Added at: 14:39
Yeah, it's a TW2 ripoff of the highest caliber. I make no bones about that.

Dave

Staff member
Nope, it's about Dave trying something he's never done before. So it'll either suck or suck even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.