Export thread

Your favorite guilty/disgusting food pleasure.

LordRendar

LordRendar

So, I am making one of my favorite dishes I would never ever serve one of my friends and I was wondering, am I the only one who loves a particular dish but would never
let someone else partake in it?

The dish I am making is some kind of meat soup/sludge?

1 Diced Onion
1 Clove Garlic
1 lb. ground Beef
2 Cups of broccoli
1 can of Sweet Corn
2-3 Tbs. Cream Cheese
Curry Powder
optional: Some kind of sharp cheese

Sautee Onions and Garlic, brown meat and then add everything except for the cream cheese and curry.
Cook till soft, add cream cheese(and the sharp cheese if using) and curry powder, salt and pepper to taste, and you are done.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Doritos. I eat too many Doritos. Don't you dare eat my Doritos!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I love to squirt lemon juice on my banana bread (or cranberry juice on my lemon poppyseed) before eating it. The extra sour just makes it taste so good.
Also yellow mustard on toast/Ritz/saltines.

—Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

Back when I was a university student, I had this thing where I'd toss random ingredients into a pot of water and turn it into a soup. Whatever was available in the fridge or freezer, I'd throw it in. Occasionally it'd turn out awesome, but usually it just ended up being a passable meal. I enjoyed cooking and eating it, but I would never allow anyone to see me doing it, or serve it to anyone else.

Like, for example, I remember one time I made a soup out of sliced ham, breaded scampi, romaine lettuce, frozen corn, a couple of tomatoes, and an egg. With some soy sauce for flavor. I loved it.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Also yellow mustard on toast/Ritz/saltines.

—Patrick
Oh. That reminds me I have a real answer to this question.

Miracle Whip on toast. Yum.

Dave

Dave

So, I am making one of my favorite dishes I would never ever serve one of my friends and I was wondering, am I the only one who loves a particular dish but would never
let someone else partake in it?

The dish I am making is some kind of meat soup/sludge?

Diced Onions
Garlic
Ground Beef
Broccoli
Sweet Corn
Cream Cheese
Curry Powder

Sautee Onions and Garlic, brown meat and then add everything except for the cream cheese and curry.
Cook till soft add cheese and curry powder and you are done.
So how much of each and how spicy does it turnout to be?

GasBandit

GasBandit

For a while, I liked twizzlers dipped in nacho cheese... but I grew out of it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

For a while, I liked twizzlers dipped in nacho cheese... but I grew out of it.
I’ll bet you still wax nostalgic about sausages baked in BBQ sauce.

Also my standard drink when eating at a fast food place is to fill my cup with 1/3 MtDew/MelYel and 2/3 fruit punch, then finish it off with a splash of lemonade/ginger ale/peach tea/whatever for flavor.

And my alternate is 1/2 root beer, 1/2 orange soda.

—Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

I already hate this thread.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Hard tack and cabbage. Navy burgoo. Skirlie. Peanut Butter and brown sugar.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Mmmmm... peanut butter and honey sandwiches... with the PB and honey absolutely whipped into a froth before put on the bread...

phil

phil

Saltine crackers and chocolate frosting.

Far

Far

Back when I was a university student, I had this thing where I'd toss random ingredients into a pot of water and turn it into a soup. Whatever was available in the fridge or freezer, I'd throw it in. Occasionally it'd turn out awesome, but usually it just ended up being a passable meal. I enjoyed cooking and eating it, but I would never allow anyone to see me doing it, or serve it to anyone else.

Like, for example, I remember one time I made a soup out of sliced ham, breaded scampi, romaine lettuce, frozen corn, a couple of tomatoes, and an egg. With some soy sauce for flavor. I loved it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Pan fried spam on toast with lettuce and brown mustard

evilmike

evilmike

Four fried chickens and a Coke.

Oh yeah, and some dry white toast.

Emrys

Emrys

For a while, I liked twizzlers dipped in nacho cheese...
:eek:

...but I grew out of it.
Thank the gods!

Emrys

Emrys

I already hate this thread.
Because it's making you ill or because you are now craving all this?

MindDetective

MindDetective

The former, definitely.

LordRendar

LordRendar

So how much of each and how spicy does it turnout to be?
Updated the recipie. It isnt spicy it all, since the curry powder we use in Germany just gives it this "India" flavor and the yellow color, but it isnt spicy. You can add sriracha if you want.

PatrThom

PatrThom

iloveloaf.jpg

SO good, especially on a kaiser roll.

Also sometimes when I am running late for work I'll just take about a handful of shredded 4-cheese, pour mustard on top of it, and call it breakfast, especially if I follow it with a hot dog.

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My old standby was Ramen, canned tuna, and Italian dressing.

Emrys

Emrys

View attachment 31671

SO good, especially on a kaiser roll.

Also sometimes when I am running late for work I'll just take about a handful of shredded 4-cheese, pour mustard on top of it, and call it breakfast, especially if I follow it with a hot dog.

--Patrick
WTF is that?

Denbrought

Denbrought

I'm laughing my ass off remembering these. Don't know if "favorite" is the right word, but if I wrote a recipe-based biography all these guys would be in it, and I still like them.

My staple dinner during my first 2 years of college was a rice bowl (Dollar General instant) with canned tuna and ketchup, usually topped with a handful of mini-pretzels (either crushed in there or to use as "scoops"). I also experimented with putting off-brand Frosted Flakes in there, but the sugar was too much (the pretzels had the salt crystals on 'em). I now have it less than once a year.

While I was bulking in college, I would get the 10lb tubes of ground beef from Sam's Club (had friends with a membership) and pre-slice them into 1lb chunks. I would then microwave the meat until grey (no kitchen), pick it up using two slices of cold bulk american cheese, and eat it dipped in ketchup. Occasionally miss the overall texture.

Can of sardines in mustard sauce, drained and emptied between two pieces of cheap white bread. Great sandwich that I can make in a hurry (<60s) that actively gets worse the more you try to do to it--better bread, toasting it, adding condiments, ... all for naught. I rarely buy that type of bread these days, but when I do it's time for these guys.

Back during my mid/late college years, I would make these big bowls of rice and add a bunch of bulk cheese (cheddar or mozzarella, whatever I had), then some sort of sauce (usually Valentina yellow or RedHot) and mix it all into a stringy reddish mess. I get a hankering for it occasionally, though I use better cheeses and brown rice.

Not really "disgusting" per se, but I'm pretty wary about serving my allioli to people. Raw egg and garlic breath/burps for hours isn't for everyone.

PatrThom

PatrThom

WTF is that?
Olive loaf. Mmmm...

Will also add that canned smoked oysters are one of my favorite foods in the world, especially atop saltines.

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

Rice with ketchup and mayonnaise.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Rice with ketchup and mayonnaise.
Does this make it feel more like it has been freshly killed?

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

When no one is looking, I like to take a Skor bar and chocolate milk and eat them at the same time like Cookie Monster.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

chicken livers, gizzards and hearts. I don't consider this a disgusting food, but evidently plenty of others do.

Also a big fan of lengua and tripas tacos (beef tongue and tripe) as well as beef heart stew.

tacos small.jpg

(shown: chrizo, lengua, and tripas tacos)

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I don't do this anymore, but as an undergrad cooking for himself I used to:

brown ground beef (probably 80/20) with S&P, garlic powder and onion powder
add 2 cans of refried beans and mix that up
add 1 jar of hot Pace salsa, mix
add half a block of velveeta and mix that up until melted

I would make a big batch of this and eat it all week with tortillas, toast, chips or by itself.

Nowadays, the closest I get to that would be going to the Taco Bell about once every 2 months.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I think I've mentioned it before but here goes:

Pasta mixed with egregious amounts of paprika, chili powder, crushed red pepper, sriracha, and soy sauce. The carbs + salt are a guaranteed food coma.

I came across this combo when I just moved into my new apartment and hadn't gone food shopping yet.

fade

fade

When I was a kid, I used to like dunking white bread in Kool-Aid. I still like bread in milk, but that's not weird. Haven't done Kool-Aid since leaving for college, though.

PatrThom

PatrThom

chicken livers, gizzards and hearts. I don't consider this a disgusting food, but evidently plenty of others do.
Not at our place! Chicken livers fried in your choice of animal fat are amazing.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Chicken livers and home fries, both with sauteed onions were a favorite dinner when my dad was still with us.

Wahad

Wahad

Echoing the love for offal. Offal meat is the best meat.

Also, Durian. I've had it only once, but I loved it...unlike all my other friends who were trying it with me, who couldn't get it down.

In actual "weird combination" stuff, my mom used to make rice pudding...except with pasta (macaroni elbows) instead of rice. So leftover cooked pasta heated through in milk with cinnamon and sugar. I've not had it since I was like, twelve, but man, that was my favorite dessert ever. Now that I've typed it out, I guess it doesn't seem that weird, but my friend were always weirded out by it when I mentioned having it for dessert the night before.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Back when I used to live in Houston, I would get the steak and kidney pot pie at the Mucky Duck. It doesn't look like they have it any more :(

LordRendar

LordRendar

Liver with sauteed onions and apple on mashed potatoes with a side of apple sauce is to die for. can only eat it once or twice a year though.

And barbecued chicken intestines was one of my favorite snacks together with beer when I was living in the philippines.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Echoing the love for offal. Offal meat is the best meat.

Also, Durian. I've had it only once, but I loved it...unlike all my other friends who were trying it with me, who couldn't get it down.

In actual "weird combination" stuff, my mom used to make rice pudding...except with pasta (macaroni elbows) instead of rice. So leftover cooked pasta heated through in milk with cinnamon and sugar. I've not had it since I was like, twelve, but man, that was my favorite dessert ever. Now that I've typed it out, I guess it doesn't seem that weird, but my friend were always weirded out by it when I mentioned having it for dessert the night before.
"Spaghettipap" or "pierenpap" is/was fairly common in some areas alongthe Dutch/Belgian border. I don't remember what area you're from exactly anymore, but "close enough" that your mother might've picked it up :) I often got it from my aunt who lived in that area, while my mother considered it weird.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

The closest Offal (which I don't think it is) thing that I like is beef lengua tacos at a local taco truck. I've had tripe and it's okay. I don't like liver, except I've had a pretty amazing steak topped with foie gras before.

drifter

drifter

I just remembered something I used to make as a kid: Nestle Quick cocoa powder, powdered creamer, and maple syrup, mixed together into a very thick paste. Eaten straight with a spoon. This was my idea of "cooking."

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Canned smoked oysters on crackers are awesome!
Post automatically merged:

All my shame foods involve Cheez Whiz and I’ve shared them with my kids (and my husband - he just isn’t a fan).

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I like my pho with tendon and tripe in it, too.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Saltine crackers and chocolate frosting.
Pretzels (Snyder's Butter Snaps to be specific) and Nutella

Also...scrapple.
img_7734-300x225.jpg

What's scrapple? Well let's ask Wikipedia!
...a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Canned smoked oysters on crackers are awesome!
Aye, although I prefer canned herring on crackers.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Olive loaf. Mmmm...

Will also add that canned smoked oysters are one of my favorite foods in the world, especially atop saltines.

--Patrick
Was at the grocery store and buying deli meat. Saw that had olive loaf and remembered this thread, so I got a quarter pound of it.

It mostly tastes like bologna and olives. Which, you know, isn't a bad combination.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Pretzels (Snyder's Butter Snaps to be specific) and Nutella

Also...scrapple.
View attachment 31689

What's scrapple? Well let's ask Wikipedia!
I was first introduced to scrapple when I moved up here near DC. All of the DC government cafeterias have it as a breakfast meat.

Tastes a lot like haggis to me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It mostly tastes like bologna and olives. Which, you know, isn't a bad combination.
Considering that’s pretty much exactly what it is, I’m not surprised,
There are other “loaf” lunchmeats...pickle loaf, pimento loaf, cheese loaf, old fashioned loaf, etc., and each one is essentially “bologna + X” so you pretty much know what it’s gonna taste like.
...except that “old fashioned loaf” does NOT taste like bologna + bourbon + Fruit Loops (obviously).

—Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

...except that “old fashioned loaf” does NOT taste like bologna + bourbon + Fruit Loops (obviously).

—Patrick
We need a sad face emoji

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I was first introduced to scrapple when I moved up here near DC. All of the DC government cafeterias have it as a breakfast meat.

Tastes a lot like haggis to me.
TIL I'd probably like haggis.
:)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

TIL I'd probably like haggis.
:)
They're actually pretty similar.

Scrapple: pig offal, cornmeal, and spices formed into a loaf.
Haggis: sheep (though often as much, pig these days) offal, oatmeal, and spices formed into a loaf (though usually with an artificial casing in modern times, and not a sheep's stomach).

Biggest difference, to me, is texture. Scrapple has gelatins from the pig head, which make it set up on its own. Haggis doesn't, so it's more pudding/meal texture once it's out of the casing.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I really miss Sisig. Its pig face that after being grilled is chopped into tiny pieces and then fried with chili and spices. served on a hot plate
with rice, egg and calamansi (a type of citrus).

I lived on that stuff when I was a poor college student.

And dont get me started on Dinuguan (blood soup).

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

@LordRendar , Did you go to college in the Philippines or a place with a large Filipino population?

LordRendar

LordRendar

I went to highschool and college in the Philippines before moving back to germany.
It irks me that the Filipino commmunity is so tiny here. Have to make filipino food myself since there aree no restraurants that serve filipino food.

figmentPez

figmentPez

As a kid I used to love braunschweiger on Triscuit. Then I found out it has liver in it. A few years ago I tried it again, and it's really good, but I don't eat it much because it's really high in fat, salt, etc.

A sweet treat I like is spreading a tortilla with peanut butter, sprinkling on chocolate chips and shredded coconut, then microwaving until warm, then rolling up. (Don't try to microwave until the chocolate is melted, the tortilla will be overcooked. Let the hot PB melt the chocolate while it's rolled.)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

As a kid I used to love braunschweiger on Triscuit. Then I found out it has liver in it. A few years ago I tried it again, and it's really good, but I don't eat it much because it's really high in fat, salt, etc.

A sweet treat I like is spreading a tortilla with peanut butter, sprinkling on chocolate chips and shredded coconut, then microwaving until warm, then rolling up. (Don't try to microwave until the chocolate is melted, the tortilla will be overcooked. Let the hot PB melt the chocolate while it's rolled.)

PatrThom

PatrThom

That movie just doesn't get the acclaim it deserves.

--Patrick

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I went to highschool and college in the Philippines before moving back to germany.
It irks me that the Filipino commmunity is so tiny here. Have to make filipino food myself since there aree no restraurants that serve filipino food.
Come to Hawaii for a visit. There is Filipino food everywhere. I haven't tried your favs, but pork adobo, lumpia, and pancit are often brought to our office potlucks. One of my coworkers actully warned me away from blood soup. LOL On another note, ube halaya has become one of my favorite side dishes/desserts since moving here. Delicious stuff though far from disgusting.