Your Entertainment Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude: No, no way, you're kidding, I am never, EVER doing that. No way, I am not gonna do that in any form or fashion, ANYTHING but that!
*smash cut to Dude doing exactly that*

Oh, here's something I really hate: "Very Special" episodes. I get it, the world is a scary and dangerous place... that really doesn't excuse you wasting an episode to give the viewer some ham fisted lectures about ANYTHING, let alone REALLY serious shit like abortion or abuse.

W

wana10

Oh, here's something I really hate: "Very Special" episodes. I get it, the world is a scary and dangerous place... that really doesn't excuse you wasting an episode to give the viewer some ham fisted lectures about ANYTHING, let alone REALLY serious shit like abortion or abuse.
and yet i know of a series that is entirely made up of "very special" episodes and it's awesome

Mind swap / body swap episodes. See them all the time in scifi/fantasy shows and movies and they're always following the same idea.

"BWA HA HA JOHN Q. BADGUY IS IN BILLY H. GOODBOY'S BODY, GONNA MAKE PEOPLE THINK HE'S A JERK"

"No guys it's me in the badguy's body don't listen"

etc etc

Mind swap / body swap episodes. See them all the time in scifi/fantasy shows and movies and they're always following the same idea.

"BWA HA HA JOHN Q. BADGUY IS IN BILLY H. GOODBOY'S BODY, GONNA MAKE PEOPLE THINK HE'S A JERK"

"No guys it's me in the badguy's body don't listen"

etc etc
The Farscape episode that made fun of this was epic.

They did have later plot elements, like Harvey, that worked with this idea, but it was less "OMG, THEY SWITCHED BODIES!!" and more "If Crichton loses control at the long moment and Scorpius takes over, we might have to kill him" tension.

and yet i know of a series that is entirely made up of "very special" episodes and it's awesome[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing your talking about Morel Orel? I'm pretty sure it doesn't count as a "Very Special Episode" when the entire series parodies the concept of such things and points out how heavy handed/false some of them can be.

W

wana10

Clone high actually but same idea :D

And on the topic of body-switching, anyone else remember the Justice League ep. where Flash and Lex Luthor switched bodies? I love that one.

Clone high actually but same idea :D

And on the topic of body-switching, anyone else remember the Justice League ep. where Flash and Lex Luthor switched bodies? I love that one.
I do and that was an awesome episode.

"Aren't you gonna wash your hands?"

"No...'cause I'm evil."

I guess clip show episodes are a given.
Especially clip show episodes in the first season of a show. I'm looking at YOU, Highschool of the Dead.[/QUOTE]

With an exception for the Clerks clip episode, which was the second episode of the series.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Clerks Animated did a pretty solid job of ridiculing a lot of stupid sitcom/tv stereotypes. I really wish it had lasted longer.

A&E Family of Channels especially Bio.

5 minutes of documentary, 1 minute of preview, commercial, 1 minute of recap, 4 min of documentary, 1 minute of preview, commercial... etc.

They pad a good 15 minutes of their shows with what will happen, and what has just happened.

C

Chazwozel

I HATE Deus Ex Machina anywhere, but especially at the end of novels. This is why reading "The Road" makes me very angry.

that family had been following them though. He kind of hints at it in a few places. Unless you mean the family also happening to be the only other non cannibals for 100 miles

I can't watch the Harry potter movies after seeing shit like a flying car come in to rescue them from spiders at the last minute or oh hey here's a sword all of a sudden and btw this animals tears will heal that animals poison. What luck!

Speaking of things like that, it always bugs me when the chosen one sucks at being the chosen one. Harry Potter is a brat and besides blowing up the first death star Luke skywalker only managed to suck and almost die a bunch. At least neo stopped the last humans from getting killed.

Luke grows exponentially between Empire and Jedi. He's pretty much a bitch up until then, though. In the canon books he's 110% badass, though, he's mastered both the Light and Dark side without being corrupted.

fade

Staff member
Honestly, I thought that's what Lucas was trying to say all along. Luke was the real Chosen One because he had feelings. He didn't give into them, but he didn't eschew them either. He brought balance within himself. Because how is destroying the badguys balancing anything?

D

Disconnected

And, I was just talking about this with my roommate earlier: People constantly cocking the hammer back on modern pistols, or pumping fully loaded, unfired shotguns. They do it to make the cool noise and for no other reason.
one of the lost dvd seasons had a nice little segment about the 'inappropriate cock'. Sitting in a scene, gun in your hand, nothing to do... time for... 'inappropriate cock.'

Honestly, I thought that's what Lucas was trying to say all along. Luke was the real Chosen One because he had feelings. He didn't give into them, but he didn't eschew them either. He brought balance within himself. Because how is destroying the badguys balancing anything?
I thought Darth was the chosen one, because he brought balance to the force. There were 2 Jedi and 2 Sith left at the end of Episode III. Now THAT is balance.

I haven't read any books. I've read some stuff about them and how Luke is supposed to defeat like the ghost of the most powerful sith ever or something. His power isn't really conveyed in the movies that much though. In new hope he gets his lucky shot which is cool. Empire gives him an epic beat down. Jedi let's him kick some ass but it's still vader who kills the emperor.

Similar to guns, what about all the noise swords make? Swing and shtick and all that.

Similar to guns, what about all the noise swords make? Swing and shtick and all that.
Haha, that drives me crazy. Are they pulling the swords out of sharpeners? It always makes a metallic "Shhhhing" when pulled out of a scabbard, even if the scabbard is wood. And then swords being pulled through the air makes the same sound! The regular whistle of a good sword going through the air is awesome enough!

You have a PROBLEM with the Wilhelm scream?! I effing LOVE the Wilhelm scream!

How about that sound that bald eagles make in movies, but is a recording of a red-tailed hawk, that is also used anytime the characters are in a desert, or just whenever they want to make a character seem cool? It's perhaps as common as the Wilhelm Scream, and even easier to spot.

Actually I don't have a problem with that one either. I just laugh whenever I hear it.

C

Chazwozel

that family had been following them though. He kind of hints at it in a few places. Unless you mean the family also happening to be the only other non cannibals for 100 miles

I can't watch the Harry potter movies after seeing shit like a flying car come in to rescue them from spiders at the last minute or oh hey here's a sword all of a sudden and btw this animals tears will heal that animals poison. What luck!

Speaking of things like that, it always bugs me when the chosen one sucks at being the chosen one. Harry Potter is a brat and besides blowing up the first death star Luke skywalker only managed to suck and almost die a bunch. At least neo stopped the last humans from getting killed.
Yeah there are hints, but good lord.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

I agree. Isn't Luke supposed to be like a Buddha or something? He finds the right balance...

fade

Staff member
Why can't they make a strong female character who isn't a bitch? Strong ≠ irritating, writers. Or, if you're going to make her a bitch, make her interesting and/or likable. Otherwise, it's insulting to women and hard to empathize with.

Why can't they make a strong female character who isn't a bitch? Strong ≠ irritating, writers. Or, if you're going to make her a bitch, make her interesting and/or likable. Otherwise, it's insulting to women and hard to empathize with.
I don't find Ripley very irritating. Or Angelina Jolie in Changeling. Or Marge in Fargo. Or Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs. Or Meryl Streep in Deer Hunter.

The little girl in Pan's Labyrinth, Elastic Girl from Incredibles kinds counts. Yeah, there's no shortage of strong, well-written female characters. They're just not the norm. Especially in action flicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.