Your Bookshelf (or Movies/Music/Game Collection)

In a conversation on Twitter earlier today, someone sent me pictures of their bookshelves filled with comics. It was a pretty impressive collection, probably rivalling mine. So in return, I sent him pictures of my collection. Or at least what I can fit on my shelves at the moment. I also have four longboxes more of all trades that I don't have room on the shelves for.

Anyway, I thought it'd be fun to share our collections.

Here are my two shelves. One is primarily DC & Marvel superhero stuff (and one shelf dedicated to kids comics, for my niece's sake). The other is mostly my mature reader stuff and favourite comics. Or nicer collections like hardcovers and the sort. I have a weird system that probably only makes sense to me.

Spoilering for size.

I know they're kinda blurry, but if anyone wants to know what certain books are, I can tell ya.

Though we have hundreds of movies, more than half have been taken out of their boxes and put into a set of cylinders, so it's not too impressive-looking.

My bookshelf area is too messy to in any good conscience post a picture of it, but it's mostly full of my old video games and stacks of books on the floor, mostly school books.

Ok, we can do this.

Here's probably 75-80% of the $2300 or so I spent on M:TG (not counting a lot of what I gave away, mostly lands) before I had enough and slammed my wallet shut in WotC's face.
cards.JPG

Here's our living room in 2007 after gathering together probably somewhere between three and four thousand books that we donated to the local library.
2007.JPG

As I always point out to people, there is no couch in this picture, that pile is solid boxes all the way back to the window.

Here we are donating again in 2009, after finally culling any of the remaining duplicates.
2009.JPG

This time it's probably only 1500 or so. We did not donate the cat. Also you can get a better look at how there was no couch under the other picture (instead it's in the foreground with a sheet/pillow on it acting like a proper futon).

Here's a better shot of the bookcase behind everything above, from the same 2009 photo shoot:
shelves.JPG

Note that most of those shelves are 2 layers deep. Also notice the hallway, where we keep the reference, CDs, DVDs, and VHS.

All of the previous pictures were pre-move. Post-move, here is the living room I now inhabit (limited by lack of good light):
livrm.JPG

Note that NONE of the books, etc from the previous pics are duplicated here. About a third of the CD/DVD you see on those shelves came from that hallway in the background before the move, but the remaining 2/3 (and the books on the bookcase, the vinyl, etc) are things you can't see in any of the above pictures. Yes, that is a skull on the far right shelves.

And all of this is not counting the two walls covered with books on the ground floor, the (vast) cookbook collection in the kitchen, the two 3-level barrister bookcases in our bedroom, the wall of computer and other reference manuals (DOS 6, Win2k, Mac OS 7.6, computer animation, hardware references, etc) over my computer bench in the basement, or what I estimate to be the 60+* milk crate-ish-sized boxes of books, movies, board games, software, and vinyl that I haven't even unpacked yet.

Also, Cranky has his own room with two walls of his own books, and both he and my father-in-law belong to the local library organization that does the periodic book sales, so any conceivable estimate you could make of our current total would probably need to be revised upwards on a weekly basis.

--Patrick
*yes, really. That's not hyperbole.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
When we lost our house I gave away almost every book I had to save space. I'm talking decades of comics collected, gaming supplies, and over 4k books. I now have maybe 100.

Keep in mind that, whenever someone gives me a hard time for not seeing a movie or something, it's usually because my backlog is that large, and I maybe get only one movie's worth of opportunity per week to catch up.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
This is me, subscribing to this thread, so I can remember to post a picture of my bookshelf when I get home tonight.

GasBandit

Staff member
I started shifting to e-books some years ago, but I still have the hard copies from many years of reading to the little woman.
bookshelf.jpg

Sorry, the room's a bit of a mess... haven't felt much need to tidy it as I never really read any more. Piled on the table in front of the bookshelf are various books from the Eragon series, Gotrek and Felix, Ciaphas Cain, etc.

Raymond Feist and Robert Jordan each take up almost their own shelf, but I'd definitely recommend the former over the latter.

I've got all my stuff on a shelf, in a set of drawers, another shelf in a different room, a small cabinet...there's too many to take pictures of, but I might get one or two tomorrow when it's not as badly lit as it is in here right now.

prepare yourself, anime dvd pictures are coming...(i only have the first shelf done, eating dinner and then ill take pictures of the rest and get my album together.)

if I can get the imgur album html code to work ill switch to that eventually.

Last edited:
Took some pictures of the shelves in my reading room. It's still a little messy and there's some things that need to be put away. This isn't my full collection, just a selection based on what I have. Mostly things I like and hold up and a bit of crap on the Marvel side. I wanted a balance of the big two, and so a lot of my DC stuff didn't make the cut and the Marvel shelf had room for crap like the Complete Clone Saga and Ben Reilly Epic.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

My small and strange Manga shelf.
6.jpg

7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg