You might live in a Police State if...

Reactions
2,735 794 25
This is one of those things I just don’t get. Inanimate things are incapable of value judgements, and yet certain people absolutely insist on pretending that they can somehow be coaxed to do so.

@Eriol We’ve discussed that exact pair of videos before. I had hoped people would’ve learned by now.
But no.

—Patrick

Reactions
299 37 13
This is one of those things I just don’t get. Inanimate things are incapable of value judgements, and yet certain people absolutely insist on pretending that they can somehow be coaxed to do so.

@Eriol We’ve discussed that exact pair of videos before. I had hoped people would’ve learned by now.
But no.

—Patrick
Oh ya, these aren't the first time they've been linked, they just have more importance right now given the "debate" in Germany.

Reactions
2,735 794 25
House votes to extend ability for USA to spy on its citizens/within its borders another 6 years.
At least two members of the Senate have vowed to filibuster it, but we will see what happens.

Oh and the FBI is still mad at Apple (and presumably also any other mobile manufacturer) for using encryption that has no back door to allow for FBI surveillance.
FBI forensic expert Stephen Flatley lashed out at Apple, calling the company “jerks,” and “evil geniuses” for making his and his colleagues' investigative work harder. [...] "At what point is it just trying to one up things and at what point is it to thwart law enforcement?" he added. "Apple is pretty good at evil genius stuff. [...However] If you have another evil genius, Cellebrite,then maybe we can get into that front," he said, facetiously coughing as he said “Cellebrite.”
Time to post those videos again, I guess.

--Patrick

Reactions
2,735 794 25
Directly from the blog of the ACLU:
We Got U.S. Border Officials to Testify Under Oath. Here’s What We Found Out.

Basically, that you can be searched/siezed/detained without having to demonstrate probable cause, without limiting scope, and that it can be for any type of crime. Criminal, civil, foreign, domestic, HIPAA, attorney-client privilege, NDAs, self-incrimination, none of it matters, now hand over your phone.

--Patrick