You might be an ass if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
Are you sure? When I worked for a defense contractor, some of my coworkers with the same title were talking openly about their salaries. I clammed up, because I realized I was making about 20K more than they were. I mean I was the only one with a phd, but still, they had masters.

Are you sure? When I worked for a defense contractor, some of my coworkers with the same title were talking openly about their salaries. I clammed up, because I realized I was making about 20K more than they were. I mean I was the only one with a phd, but still, they had masters.
Did you stop stealing their food when you realized that you made that much more than they did?

fade

Staff member
Hell no. I did it more.

I confess I did take soda from a giant 24 pack a couple of times. I coughed when I opened it.

At a previous job, I used to take my diet sodas to work because it was much cheaper than the vending machine. Until some yahoo started stealing my sodas on a regular basis.

I started printing "STEALING IS A CRIME! YOU ARE A CRIMINAL" in bright red lettering on mailing labels and affixing them to the bottles. The thefts stopped. Most people feel uncomfortable with the idea that someone is judging them.

At a previous job, I used to take my diet sodas to work because it was much cheaper than the vending machine. Until some yahoo started stealing my sodas on a regular basis.

I started printing "STEALING IS A CRIME! YOU ARE A CRIMINAL" in bright red lettering on mailing labels and affixing them to the bottles. The thefts stopped. Most people feel uncomfortable with the idea that someone is judging them.
I'd be afraid of you kicking me in the face more so than being judged by you, but that's just me.

I'd be afraid of you kicking me in the face more so than being judged by you, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they knew whose bottles they were stealing. I'm not sure it would've made much difference if it did. I work as a computer programmer, and don't really advertise my training at work. Besides, you know how many nerds and dorks stereotypically claim "I know karate!" when things don't go their way? I don't wanna be that guy ;)

I'd be afraid of you kicking me in the face more so than being judged by you, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they knew whose bottles they were stealing. I'm not sure it would've made much difference if it did. I work as a computer programmer, and don't really advertise my training at work. Besides, you know how many nerds and dorks stereotypically claim "I know karate!" when things don't go their way? I don't wanna be that guy ;)[/QUOTE]

"Don't mess with me, man! I've seen the Matrix!"

Getting back to the slobs in Rascals and motorized shopping carts... I didn't really get much of that in California or Hawaii. But now that I'm living in Texas I see it all the freakin' time.

You might be an ass if it's 6:20 a.m. at the bus stop and you're rapping loudly next to everyone else, mostly middle-aged Hispanic women who don't need to be listening to you cursing and saying n-- and such, and when the bus pulls up, you start shouting your rapping in one man's ear, and when he says "Alright" (as in enough) you continue rapping and smack him in the back of the head as he boards the bus.

The ass in question was lucky the guy he hit didn't beat the hell out of him. The man was a head taller and built like a truck compared to the little doo-rag wearing twerp who hit him. He stared the guy down, shook his head, and boarded the bus.

You might be an ass if it's 6:20 a.m. at the bus stop and you're rapping loudly next to everyone else, mostly middle-aged Hispanic women who don't need to be listening to you cursing and saying n-- and such, and when the bus pulls up, you start shouting your rapping in one man's ear, and when he says "Alright" (as in enough) you continue rapping and smack him in the back of the head as he boards the bus.

The ass in question was lucky the guy he hit didn't beat the hell out of him. The man was a head taller and built like a truck compared to the little doo-rag wearing twerp who hit him. He stared the guy down, shook his head, and boarded the bus.
Thankfully he wasn't a crazy bearded motherfucker.

Ok, I know we've pretty much sorted out the whole merging into traffic issue, but I've been really apathetic about posting for the past year or so, so I'm a bit late. What does the board think of this?

We have a notoriously badly planned out freeway system in Seattle (the story goes that they paid two development firms/construction companies; one started at the north end of the state and one at the south and they met in downtown Seattle, causing there to be no cohesion, but I wouldn't bet on it). Headed north, into the city, on I-5 is a 4 lane road, with the far left lane being an HOV lane that ends in an exit-only set of express lanes. The express lanes are open Northbound from 12 noon to 12 midnight and Southbound the opposing hours. The next lane to the right (left-most general purpose lane, it's generally called) ends in the first exit into downtown Seattle, which is exit only. Only the two right most lanes are through lanes unless the express lanes are open Northbound. The HOV restriction on the left-most lane ends 2 - 3 miles before the entrance to the express lanes.

How does the forum feel about people - who are not carpooling - getting into the left most lane once the restriction ends and waiting until they reach the barriers preventing them from entering Southbound express lane traffic before merging across the left-most general purpose lane (which is now the exit only lane to Seneca St. and downtown Seattle) to get into a through lane? Can I be justifiably pissed at them then? Cuz I swear this causes a backup entering the city starting at about 6:30am and lasting until around 8:00pm every damn day of the fucking week. Of course, the rest of the metropolitan Seattle freeway system doesn't help any.

C

Chazwozel

Ok, I know we've pretty much sorted out the whole merging into traffic issue, but I've been really apathetic about posting for the past year or so, so I'm a bit late. What does the board think of this?

We have a notoriously badly planned out freeway system in Seattle (the story goes that they paid two development firms/construction companies; one started at the north end of the state and one at the south and they met in downtown Seattle, causing there to be no cohesion, but I wouldn't bet on it). Headed north, into the city, on I-5 is a 4 lane road, with the far left lane being an HOV lane that ends in an exit-only set of express lanes. The express lanes are open Northbound from 12 noon to 12 midnight and Southbound the opposing hours. The next lane to the right (left-most general purpose lane, it's generally called) ends in the first exit into downtown Seattle, which is exit only. Only the two right most lanes are through lanes unless the express lanes are open Northbound. The HOV restriction on the left-most lane ends 2 - 3 miles before the entrance to the express lanes.

How does the forum feel about people - who are not carpooling - getting into the left most lane once the restriction ends and waiting until they reach the barriers preventing them from entering Southbound express lane traffic before merging across the left-most general purpose lane (which is now the exit only lane to Seneca St. and downtown Seattle) to get into a through lane? Can I be justifiably pissed at them then? Cuz I swear this causes a backup entering the city starting at about 6:30am and lasting until around 8:00pm every damn day of the fucking week. Of course, the rest of the metropolitan Seattle freeway system doesn't help any.
Yeah, they're assholes. If you don't have passengers and you use the HOV lane, you're an asshole.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

If every damn seat on the SEPTA train is full and there are people standing in the middle aisle and you feel the need to tell me to move back because you want to move to the back of the train for some reason.

To be fair, by the time 95% of the single occupant vehicles enter the HOV lane, the HOV restriction has been removed and it's open to everyone. However, the only reason the lane is like that is to allow SOVs access to the express lanes. Also, if the express lanes are closed, you know it before the restriction is removed - assuming you read the road signs instead of your cell phone/paper/kindle/iPad/meeting notes.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Downtown - People doing the 'sudden dead stop' on a very busy shopping street.

Stores - (Small) group of people hanging just in or outside the main entrance making it hard for people to get in or out. common with grocery stores.

Both of these people will look at you funny if you attempt some crazy maneuver to avoid crashing into them or getting around them. It's like they're oblivious to how annoying they are!
related: people that sit on stairs, taking the whole space, no problem if there is enough room to at least one person to walk past. But you and you group are asses when you think the place is a public bench

C

Chazwozel

You're a bum that gets pissed off when people don't give you change.

C

Chibibar

You're a bum that gets pissed off when people don't give you change.
downtown Dallas has anti-panhandling law, but that never stop the beggars coming up with the interesting stories. Heck, one guy once ask me for money for a train ticket, so I bought him one and he got pissed at me.

From what I've been able to tell (from my life in Toronto, mostly, but elsewhere), most people that live on the streets just ain't right in the head. The majority I've seen are walking or sitting, ranting loudly or mumbling to themselves.

I served one at Subway once, years ago. He bought the cheapest thing (six inch veggie sub). When I asked what he wanted on it, he said "Everything. Everything everything everything!" So I loaded it up. He ate it. Then, shouting from the table where he was at (closest to the oven because it was warm), he yells "I TOLD YOU NO HOT PEPPERS!" and argued with me when I said he did not. Five or ten minutes later, he yells again "WHERE'S THE AMBULANCE I CALLED FOR?!" After another short argument that he never asked, we called for one and they came and picked him up.

So yeah, I agree with Eyes. They're usually there for a reason.

C

crono1224

Well of course they are there for a reason I doubt most people choose to live on the streets :). I don't mind beggars if they aren't incessant about getting money, if they ask once and take no as an answer fine thank you. But if they start following you and keep at it, then it gets really annoying. I would say in better economic times there percent of homeless people are probably a little crazy, but especially when the economy tanks then they may have been just normal people without a way out.

Ame, the reason he bought McDonalds over bread is easy, it is already made and slightly delicious else wtf is he going to do with bread? Only other non refrigerated thing to put on it is peanut butter, and that shit will make you thirsty in a hurry.

Ame, the reason he bought McDonalds over bread is easy, it is already made and slightly delicious else wtf is he going to do with bread? Only other non refrigerated thing to put on it is peanut butter, and that shit will make you thirsty in a hurry.
10 bucks can get ya bread, lunch meats, drinks, whathaveyou.. That is what they could do with it. Why would he buy 10 bucks of only bread? The rest of the bought food/drink was implied.

Point is, most will just run into the store across the street (they're standing near it for a reason) and buy booze or shit if you give them money. If you come across a beggar that gives you shit for giving him a hot cup of coffee, or some food.. never give him anything again.[/QUOTE]

I can't remember where, but I once read an argument that on a calories/dollar basis junk food is better for you than healthy food. As in, you will get more out of that single dollar you have to spend on food if you buy high calorie items traditionally designated unhealthy than if you had bought healthy food with that single dollar.

Also you might be an ass if take the reserved for people with babies parking spot and you don't have a baby with you.

In San Fran, I was amazed at the number of overweight homeless people. I guess the empty calories of fast food are to blame.

Our tour guide also mentioned that homeless people in San Fran receive $600 a month from the city. That sounded a bit unlikely but might also explain the portly panhandlers.

In San Fran, I was amazed at the number of overweight homeless people. I guess the empty calories of fast food are to blame.

Our tour guide also mentioned that homeless people in San Fran receive $600 a month from the city. That sounded a bit unlikely but might also explain the portly panhandlers.
I would be amazed by that too. Any chance they were newly homeless?

I would be amazed by that too. Any chance they were newly homeless?[/QUOTE]

Judging from general behaviour, I have my doubts. Certainly seemed comfortable where they were. Didn't seem to have the look of desperation that the newly displaced would have.

C

crono1224

10 bucks can get ya bread, lunch meats, drinks, whathaveyou.. That is what they could do with it. Why would he buy 10 bucks of only bread? The rest of the bought food/drink was implied.

Point is, most will just run into the store across the street (they're standing near it for a reason) and buy booze or shit if you give them money. If you come across a beggar that gives you shit for giving him a hot cup of coffee, or some food.. never give him anything again.[/QUOTE]

Where is he storing this lunch meat? I agree he can probably buy a 3l thing of water, and what not. But it gets expensive buying a small amount of lunch meat, maybe i guess he could have bought a bunch of vegetables :p.

C

crono1224

I don't think prices and grocery stores and perhaps even food storage work in Ame's country like they do here.
Magnets how do they work?

I'm not saying his decision to go to McDonald's was a good one, but I don't think it was close to a bad one, him buying lottery tickets, alcohol or cigs are much more waste of money.

When my family was in Rotterdam, picking up our van being shipped from California, we arrived in the middle of the night. Only ones on the platform apart from a lone, slightly dishevelled-looking woman. She wanders over and starts speaking Dutch. My Dad says "Sorry, we don't speak Dutch," to which she replies (without missing a beat) "Oh, you're American! Say you wouldn't happen to have a few guilders, would you?" We did not, but I was impressed at the command of English that a Dutch beggar had. *grins*

Sometimes the homeless, the schizophrenic ones, I mean, are really interesting. We had one here, Peron, who would always talk about working for the FBI, the CIA, and the Savannah Morning News (all at the same time, no less! *grins*). He would always have something reflective on him, like the metal back of a watch, which he would put on the ground, if we were talking outside, and direct with his foot. This was to protect us officers from the lasers being fired by CIA satellites.

Man, I miss Peron...

C

Chazwozel

I see the same exact fucking bums walking to work everyday, in the same exact spots. They do nothing all fucking day except for picking lint out of their bellybuttons. I would be fine with giving them a couple of bucks if they actually did something with the money they panhandle. One of them was wearing a brand new Phillies hat the other day. Those run for about 30 bucks. They make a living off of panhandling, and you're a sucker if you give them your hard earned money. If I want to feel good about myself, I go to the Children's Hospital and read to sick kids.

We were in Rotterdam in 98, for just that night and part of the next day. *grins*

As for folks making their living panhandling... thereEnter text here.'s a couple of 'em that do it here, too. There's one well-known guy who hangs in City Market until it closes down at 0100 or so, then he hops in a cab and rides it back to his house on the Landings (our local RIIIIICH people area, a good $30+ cab ride or so.)

There's been a group of 'em doing it at one of the major intersections lately. Usually, it's not worth our time to arrest 'em, because they never show up for court. However, lately my precinct captain has said if we see 'em, arrest 'em on sight, regardless of which precinct we see 'em in. Because they've gotten emboldened by the lack of police response.

C

crono1224

I read that too fade, it was an interesting article. I guess there is multiple reasons for why a person is homeless and if they just got knocked off their feet and are trying to get back up again (lost job, lost 401k, etc.) then they may be more likely to try and use money to get back (new clothes, shower, good food). However if they are there because of their own devices (drugs/drinking, etc) then they aren't going as likely to use that money to get back they are probably still addicted to whatever put them their in the first place. Lastly if they are there because they are crazy who knows what they will do with that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.