Yet another computer upgrade thread

So, everything is working now, except: my two dvd-rw drives, and the third harddrive I had installed. I think the issue may be a power problem, as sometimes the dvd drives work, but most times they act like they have no powe to them. Perhaps the new motherboard draws more power than my previous one, and my 650watt power supply can't keep up.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, everything is working now, except: my two dvd-rw drives, and the third harddrive I had installed. I think the issue may be a power problem, as sometimes the dvd drives work, but most times they act like they have no powe to them. Perhaps the new motherboard draws more power than my previous one, and my 650watt power supply can't keep up.
I'd say 650w should be plenty for most rigs unless you have an ungodly monster of a video card.

Could be the power connectors aren't seated fully, could also be you have too many devices on a single power rail from the PSU (if it's the kind with multiple rails), but I'm guessing that you have them set to IDE mode in the BIOS when they should be set to ACPI instead (assuming they're all SATA).

--Patrick

If they are the kind that have both Molex [ O O O O ] and SATA [---------------] power connections on the back, please make sure you are not using both. Use one or the other, but not both.

--Patrick

If they are the kind that have both Molex [ O O O O ] and SATA [---------------] power connections on the back, please make sure you are not using both. Use one or the other, but not both.

--Patrick
Just sata. I think the problem may be that most of my peripherals are all plugged into the same group of wires coming from the power supply. This case is -tall-, and only one of them would reach up there. I'll pick up an extension and try plugging them into the other.