[Comics] XKCD chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necronic

Staff member
There's a typo on the Advanced Combined Cycle Natural Gas value in the Cost of Electricity Section.

Just saying.

That particular XKCD is not intended to be funny (though it has fun elements interspersed). Also, I would think Charlie would appreciate the many messages that can be gleaned from that infographic.

There's a typo on the Advanced Combined Cycle Natural Gas value in the Cost of Electricity Section.

Just saying.
There are multiple typos, I think.

Groupings (color changes) are orders of magnitude.

(would also like to point out this was already posted on Mon in the webcomic appreciation thread, but I totally agree it deserves its own thread)

--Patrick

I didn't know it was "being a dipshit" to dislike something

ALSO I'm fairly certain I've seen something like this before, but presented in a better way. I wish I could remember where.

Necronic

Staff member
Groupings (color changes) are orders of magnitude.

(would also like to point out this was already posted on Mon in the webcomic appreciation thread, but I totally agree it deserves its own thread)

--Patrick
The major groupings are orders of magnitude, but there's something in the tax section that looks different.

Notice that the shaded levels come in from the left side, while taxes cut in from the right? The shaded levels denote the proportion of each tier (starting on the left side) which would be required to be left untouched by taxes (which roll in from the right) in order to give the average family in that tier the "take-home" income stated (22350/44700/etc). If the taxes take too big of a bite out of that right side (ie, if they overlap the designated income border), then that means there is not enough TOTAL money in that quantile to theoretically give every family in that quantile the income stated (if split equally among all families in that quantile, that is).

What he's basically saying is that the bottom 20% earns an amount of money amongst all of them such that, if pooled together, there would be enough for every family to have a poverty-line income ($22,350/yr) after taxes, but there is not enough total money for everyone in the bottom 20% to have the $44700/yr which is his next graduation. If his scale is to be believed (that is, if his little yellow money blocks are accurate), then the total amount of the bottom quantile, if split evenly, would give each family (that's each family, not each person) about $28,100/yr after taxes (if we eliminate the taxes portion, it looks like there's about 13.6 columns of yellow blocks out of 17.1 total columns, so 17.1/13.6*22,350=28,100). So basically the bottom 20% are just completely hosed if they want to live any sort of a meaningful lifestyle.

--Patrick

just for good measure...

stfu charlie

Also:

very beginning of the chart blew me away.

workers salary difference per pay period 1965 vs 2011 about 11 cents

CEO 1965 vs 2011 in same pay period about 5000 dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.