X-Mas 2016 IMO

'Tis a hoax. Sorry to burst your bubble. The battery chargers for today's phones reside inside the phone, the "charger" that plugs into the wall is nothing more than a power supply.

Unless they fundamentally change the battery, and get phone manufacturers to change the charger inside the phone, and add a higher current connector, they are not going to be able to charge the battery in under an hour, never mind 30 seconds.

And even if they did all that, battery lifetime will be drastically shortened due to the rapid charging. They'd also have to add a huge heat sink to the battery and phone. Or perhaps make a neato charging station attached to a cryogenic unit.

I think this technology has a whole battery of problems.

:csi:

'Tis a hoax. Sorry to burst your bubble. The battery chargers for today's phones reside inside the phone, the "charger" that plugs into the wall is nothing more than a power supply.

Unless they fundamentally change the battery, and get phone manufacturers to change the charger inside the phone, and add a higher current connector, they are not going to be able to charge the battery in under an hour, never mind 30 seconds.

And even if they did all that, battery lifetime will be drastically shortened due to the rapid charging. They'd also have to add a huge heat sink to the battery and phone. Or perhaps make a neato charging station attached to a cryogenic unit.

Any more dreams you wish to shatter today?

Doesn't look like it's a hoax, but the article itself is misleading. What StoreDot has developed is a new type of battery and charger - in the video you can see that the battery is physically too large for the phone. Also, it apparently doesn't last as long. http://time.com/52651/storedot-another-promising-far-off-answer-to-smartphone-battery-problems/

Well, if it makes you feel better, I can build a battery that size which not only charges in under 30 seconds, but quadruples the battery capacity.

They may, in fact, be able to make such a battery, but if it doesn't compete with existing lithium ion polymer batteries currently used in terms of capacity per volume and weight, as well as cost (and cost is going to be the big problem) then they aren't going to be able to get Apple and others to sign on, and they aren't going to make it as an after-market add-on due to the problems with the phone's onboard charger.

Still, there are a ton of technology companies pursuing advanced battery designs, and I hope they are successful in bringing faster charging to any area of the battery industry. More than phones, electric vehicles can benefit from this. 30 second vehicle charge, faster than filling a tank with gasoline?

Yes, please.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I can build a battery that size which not only charges in under 30 seconds, but quadruples the battery capacity.

They may, in fact, be able to make such a battery, but if it doesn't compete with existing lithium ion polymer batteries currently used in terms of capacity per volume and weight, as well as cost (and cost is going to be the big problem) then they aren't going to be able to get Apple and others to sign on, and they aren't going to make it as an after-market add-on due to the problems with the phone's onboard charger.

Still, there are a ton of technology companies pursuing advanced battery designs, and I hope they are successful in bringing faster charging to any area of the battery industry. More than phones, electric vehicles can benefit from this. 30 second vehicle charge, faster than filling a tank with gasoline?

Yes, please.
On an only tangentially related note, any idea why a battery less than 3 months old would suddenly be losing 25% of its charge every two hours or so, and charging extremely slowly?

On an only tangentially related note, any idea why a battery less than 3 months old would suddenly be losing 25% of its charge every two hours or so, and charging extremely slowly?
Depends on a lot of factors, but if the two symptoms are related it's likely the battery is damaged, or the charge circuitry is damaged. If the battery is not an official replacement part from the phone manufacturer, it could be a bad knock-off. Could also be that your charger has gone wonky.

If you can replace the battery without too much trouble, I'd be tempted to try that first, and also get an official charger, or use a USB cable into a computer. A lot of cheap phone chargers, even USB ones, are terrible and can damage the phone over time. Many are just fine, but the price difference between the official one and a cheap one is usually much less than the cost of a phone, so consider it cheap insurance. Same with the battery. Your computer, however, provides perfect power to the USB ports, so that's a safe way to charge in almost any case if you don't want to buy another charger.

But it could simply be that your phone is eating up a lot of current. If it's android, force close all the applications, and see if it still charges slowly, or loses charge quickly. Perhaps an app you've loaded recently is running in the background. Particularly a problem if it talks to the internet frequently, or uses the GPS. Some "find friend" or "find people nearby" applications really eat the battery up.

it could simply be that your phone is eating up a lot of current. If it's android, force close all the applications, and see if it still charges slowly, or loses charge quickly. Perhaps an app you've loaded recently is running in the background. Particularly a problem if it talks to the internet frequently, or uses the GPS. Some "find friend" or "find people nearby" applications really eat the battery up.
This would be the FIRST thing I would look for. Especially if it started happening "all of a sudden," it is the most likely cause.

--Patrick