Wonderful Images (Part Deux)

Montreal Island from the ISS. I live on the smaller upper island with all the other upper medium class folk.

LtXBLyV.jpg

But I never played Diablo I. :(
It's still very much worth the play through. Obviously fairly simplistic by today's standards, but still holds up very well IMNSHO. Especially replaying with the same character a few times to see most of the quests (it was pretty much unique to DI at the time to have only a semi-random selection of quests show up every playthrough) and get all the spells, all of them. (which is also impossible in any one playthrough).

It's still very much worth the play through. Obviously fairly simplistic by today's standards, but still holds up very well IMNSHO. Especially replaying with the same character a few times to see most of the quests (it was pretty much unique to DI at the time to have only a semi-random selection of quests show up every playthrough) and get all the spells, all of them. (which is also impossible in any one playthrough).
I mostly played multiplayer mode, because... well, multiplayer was fun. Even when I wasn't playing with others, I preferred solo multi so that those characters could be taken into online games.

The community that had built up around Diablo 1 was also amazing. One of Blizzard's official forums for the game was the Diablo Strategy Forum, and the DSF community that formed within it was amazing. The game was full of bugs that could be exploited to cheat the game with, and since friendly fire was a thing, and other players could kill you to take all your stuff, 'legit' play and general not playing with assholes became an important factor, hence the need for the community.

Also fun about the game was variant play. The game was pretty easy once you knew the mechanics well enough, so people made up various rules to govern your playthrough and make it harder. Things like the Naked Mage which is exactly what it sounds like, a mage character that never equips any items, weapons or armor, and the beyond naked mage, which is a mage that only equips CURSED gear with negative stats.

Good times... good times.

Oh, I'm sure. I should clarify: I've seen Diablo I and II played, although I've never played them myself. When I had to spend my weekends working on my animation, my ex played them on my computer while I was busy drawing. I'd glance over from time-to-time, so I have a vague recollection what they were like.