Winning at KSP 1.0.2 (easy mode)

Because of GasBandit's post here:
I assume, you, like me, are playing the "science" version of the game instead of "career?" The expenses in career seem way too punishing, and the contracts don't reward nearly enough, imo.
I thought I'd post some guides on how I "win" at KSP career mode.

Some caveats:
  • For my puposes, winning means: All science unlocked, all buildings upgraded, 10 million+ kerbucks. If you can get that far, you can pretty much do anything you want from that point forward.
  • I am using mechjeb, right from the start. All of the things mechjeb does for me, I can do myself, so I don't feel bad about it. In fact, I started to do these guides as a video blog where mechjeb wasn't available for the first couple of flights, but I don't have nearly the narrative powers that GasBandit does. Still got the un-narrated video, though, if anyone needs proof ;)
  • You won't be able to follow my scripts exactly, because the mission tree has a randomness component. But you should be able to follow along and get a general idea on how to maximize science and money returns.
  • This series is on "easy mode", but with stock vessels turned off. I never use them and they clutter up my vehicle load screen.
  • When I'm done, if people seem interested, I'll do another series on "normal" difficulty, though the techniques and general ship designs will be pretty similar. It'll just take a wee bit longer, since the science and money returns will be smaller.

Last edited:
First launch:
You start the game on easy mode with 250K kerbucks. That's an insane amount. So lets put it to good use.

• upgrade mission control for more missions
  • upgrade launch pad for heavier ships
  • upgrade astronaut complex for space eva
  • upgrade tracking station for maneuver nodes
Leftover funds: 62500

Make a ship to get science from the launchpad: 1 pod + 2 goo cannisters.
Get goo, crew report, "flying" eva report by doing it high on ladder, and then store it in the pod, do a "ground" eva report by having your feet touch the ground.
Total science: 26

Do the same from the spaceplane runway (though you can't get another "flying" eva).
Total science: 41

Research: Basic Rocketry, Engineering 101, General Rocketry

Take first 3 missions (Launch our first vessel, escape the atmosphere, orbit kerbin). Sometimes there's a 4th mission (return science from the surface of Kerbin). Take that one too, if you can. You get the speed and distance missions automatically.

We have a new science part: the materials bay. Make a new vessel: pod + 2 materials bay, get more science from runway and launchpad.

upgrade Vehicle assembly building with the money you got from the mission advances.

Research:Stability, survivability.
Science remaining: 15.1
Kerbucks remaining: 43293

Build our first rocket. It's an ugly monstrosity, as we can see here:

• Fly it to 80,000 meters.
  • Get a crew report below 20,000 meters, as well as 1 goo and 1 materials report.
  • Get another goo between 20,000 meters and 70,000 meters.
  • Circularize at 80,000 meters ,and get your last goo and materials report.
    • Yes, I'm aware that this leaves one goo unaccounted for. It'll be ok.
  • EVA, and remove all data, including crew report. Get EVA report, and return to vessel.
  • Do another crew report, EVA, grab it, and return to the pod.
NOTE: Near space EVAs in 1.0.2 have different biomes above kerbin. If you can get an EVA report above the water, and an EVA report above the grassland, do so. You can even circumnavigate the entire globe and get EVAs from the different biomes for another 40-50 science, but I don't have the patience for that.

Return to kerbin, get some crew reports and eva reports from the landing site. Recover vessel.

After first launch:
Science: 286
Funds: 958,209.
20 missions (including speed and distance records) completed.

[DOUBLEPOST=1434826215,1434825784][/DOUBLEPOST]After every episode, I'll post my .craft files, in case anyone wants to use them for themselves. These first few episodes, the crafts are relatively simple, but I'll post them just the same.

The forum won't let me upload the .crafts directly (disallowed extension), so I'll put them in a zip. Just copy the files into your ksp folder, under:
saves/[savename]/ships/VAB

The only time I'll ever make spaceplanes/hangar ships is when doing runway science, so I won't bother posting those.

Attachments

Last edited:
Episode 2 (Which I'm making tonight, since I'll be gone tomorrow driving my son to visit his mom for the summer).

So, I've decided that each episode will consist, generally, of a single launch mission, since there's a lot to discuss in only one mission. There may be the rare exception (like if I do several tourist missions in a row, for instance). But normally, it'll be one launch per episode. I've also decided to let Imgur resize these to 800X600. If you find you like the bigger pics, let me know, and I'll do future episodes with larger graphics.

Where we left off ...
Starting science: 286.7
starting funds: 958,209

Upgrade Research and Development for surface samples, and the launch pad.
Launch a pod two times at both the Landing Pad and Runway to collect (4) surface samples in total for a total of 22.5 science from each location.

Research: Advanced Rocketry, Basic Science, Electrics, Fuel Systems, General Construction.

Remaining science 16.7

Take these contracts: Fly by the Mun, Explore the Mun, Test TT18-A stability Enhancer at the Launch Site. From now on, your own contracts will vary considerably from mine, but the strategy will remain fairly consistent.

Note: Always take "landed at kerbin" or "at the launch site" missions. This will let you get free science. Even if it's a solid booster--just set the thrust output in the VAB to 0 by right-clicking the engine. When you stage it, you will complete the mission but the engine won't fire, so you can recover it for a 100% refund.

You have to "fly by the mun" on your way to exploring it. We can use the stability enhancers, and knock out all three missions with one launch. This means that we will earn 600,000 (explore) + 293,578 (fly by) + 12,450 (test stability enhancers) kerbucks in our second launch--minus the cost of the ship. That's 906,028, or nearly a million more kerbucks to add to our war chest including the advances.

Remaining funds after advances: 826,043

Our next vehicle will be a lander with 4 drop tanks of fuel and engines. It's designed to feed fuel to the central tank, so when the 4 outer tanks are done, they pop off and the central tank is still full for the return trip. This will give us over 6000 delta V worth of fuel in the lander, at a base price of 14.5K kerbucks.

Unfortunately, in this launch, we'll use some of that fuel to get to the Mun, because we don't have really big engines yet. In our next episode, we'll use this same lander to go to Minmus, but will likely be able to use its entire fuel store for biome hopping. We should be able to hit 5 or 6 biomes before the outer tanks are spent. But for now, I'll be satisfied if I manage to get science from 2 Mun biomes.

We'll only use one of each science module (though I put two goo canisters on the ship for balance), and use a scientist to pilot the vessel, since scientists can "clean out" goo and materials bays. Leveling up a couple of scientists now will be important for later missions, too.

Because we haven't researched bigger rockets yet, we have to be creative to get this heavy lander into orbit. I ended up with this ugly thing. It ain't pretty, but it flies. And it's cheap--only 66,730 kerbucks. I was mostly concerned with getting into an 80K Low Kerbin Orbit with most of my lander vehicle fuel intact. We'll build more elegant vehicles as we get more research.

Got into LKO orbit with 5800dv to spare, so I made a Hohmann transfer to the Mun. At 300km above Kerbin, I stopped to get some "high above kerbin" science, and reset the materials bay and goo cannister.

Entered the Mun sphere of influence with a 108K closest approach, circularized, and collected more science ("high above the mun"). I was a bit inclined in my orbit, and rather than wasting dv to straighten her out, I decided to dive right into landing at Farside Crater, since it happened to line up with my inclined orbit perfectly. Collected "near the mun" science when I dropped below 60km.

Landed on a bit of a slope, but my somewhat wide landing vehicle didn't tip over, so I collected more science at Farside. Sorry about the dark Mun pics. It was nighttime, and I didn't think to warp time until the sun rose. I'll do better next time.

I had 560dv left in the landing vehicle before I had to shed the 4 extra tanks and engines, and I figured that was enough for a hop to one more biome, if it was close. Farside crater has a big canyon at its north side, which is it's own biome. It's a short hop, so I try for it.

Realized on the way up, I didn't quite have enough fuel in the outer tanks, so I manually transferred about 60 units of fuel and O2 to each of the 4 tanks, hoping I have enough to get back to Kerbin afterwards.

Ended up tapping that canyon wall you see in the background here (it's a lot more steep than it looks):

But I kept the nose up, and gave the ship just enough thrust to slide down to the base without losing an engine. It was a tense moment of hands-on flying, but Jeb was happy as a clam. This highlights why it's important to know how to fly before relying on mechjeb. If I didn't know what I was doing, the entire mission would have failed here.

After safely landing, I got out, and collected some Canyon science, and put all the remaining unused fuel back into the central tank for the return trip. I'm a bit concerned, because I used more fuel than I intended getting to the canyons, and keeping the ship from crashing while sliding down the canyon face.

Began my ascent, immediately jettisoning the empty tanks, leaving me 2800dv. Plenty. After circularizing and engaging my return course I have 1500 left. I won't even need to aerobrake at kerbin. After burning fuel to circularize at close to 100K above Kerbin's surface, I have 850dv left and 29 experiments stored in the pod.

Decided to try to land in the deserts, for one more round of science. I have enough fuel to burn on re-entry to slow my descent, so I don't overheat and explode.

I almost always use this tactic instead of heat shields. If you have enough fuel to spare, it even works on Eve. Pop the chutes at 11km and make a safe landing in the desert. Collect some EVA, crew reports, and surface samples before recovery.

Final science: 2309.3
Final funds: 1,433,085
Experiments recovered (this trip): 35
Missions completed (this trip): 3 (not including the sub-missions like "land on the mun")
Total flights: 2

Attachments

Last edited:
Hold onto your seats boys and girls, because this is where it gets crazy.

Where we left off :
Funds: 1,433,085
Science: 2309.3
Research: 11 nodes

Check out Mission Control. Pickings are sparse. There's no Minmus missions. I pick "Explore Duna" as the only mission. Maybe some others will pop up after we do some research. My tough luck. I would usually get Minmus missions here for extra money and science.

Research: Heavy Rocketry, Heavier Rocketry, Flight Control, Advanced Flight Control, Space Exploration, Landing, Specialized Control, Advanced Electrics, Electronics, High-Power Electrics, Adv. Fuel Systems, Advanced Construction, Actuators, Specialized Construction, Advanced Exploration

Science remaining: 94.3. I could grab another 90-point science node, but none of the remaining nodes have anything I'm jonesing for right now, so I'll save my points.

For this launch, I decide to go off-mission. I don't want to go to duna yet, because I want to grab a bunch of science from Minmus. Plus, I really want to get Bob Kerman to level 2. Since we have 1.4 million kerbucks, I can afford to throw some money into a Minmus exploration mission, even though I didn't get it in Mission Control.

We're going to use our basic 5-tank lander that we used for Munar exploration, but we'll build a much bigger and better launch vehicle, so I can use all of the lander's fuel on Minmus. We end up with a 187K vehicle. But we can afford it, and we can re-use this same basic launch vehicle for Duna, with some slight modifications.

The launch vehicle flies well without wings, and circularizes at 100K with 1300dv left. That will easily get us to Minmus and it's also plenty to take us to places like Duna and Eve. So, I set up some maneuver nodes to take us to Minmus. But before we get there, I have to do science. We've added two new science modules, and while we can't do a seismic scan in space, ironically, we *can* do a barometer scan.

I grab barometer readings at 100K and 300K on the way to Minmus. I also grab more materials and goo science (restoring the modules afterwards) to pick up the "leftover" science from the last launch, since that's another 23 or so to add to the kitty.

I arrive at Minmus with just enough dv to circularize, change the inclination to 0, bring me to a stable 100km orbit, and jettison the launch vehicle.

The tanks fly spectacularly, because of the clipping issues when I built the thing, but the ship is undamaged.

Getting an inclination of 0 isn't really important here, since once I start biome hopping, my inclination will get all fubared anyway. But I had the fuel to spare, and it makes that first landing easier to plan, so why not? I still ended up throwing away a couple dv of leftover fuel when I jettisoned the launch vehicle.

Make my first landing in the Greater Flats, and collect science. I also collect "near minmus" science below 5km. This is easier to do if you put all your science modules on an action group so you can collect all your science with one button as you fall toward the surface.

Landed with 2800dv left in the outer tanks. That's a lot for Minmus. In fact, this is really the only body we're going to do any biome hopping on, so lets make the most of it.

Biomes visited

Greater Flats
Flats
Lowlands
Midlands
Slopes. I had to fly around a bit to find a landing site that wasn't too sloped for my vehicle. But that's pretty cheap to do on Minmus.
Great flats
Lesser Flats (a really long jump, though I made it higher than really necessary.)
After the Lesser Flats, I have 991dv in the external tanks, so I make a run for the northern Pole.
Highlands.

That's 10 biomes total (counting near space above Minmus), with just over 200dv left in the outer tanks. Gotta love Minmus gravity, and the fact that most of thse are very small hops. I realize that I forgot a crew report at lowlands and midlands. That's a 100 science mistake. Grr!

Ascend 100K, dropping the empty outer tanks along the way.

Circularize, set inclination as close to 0 as I can, and fly back home with 80 experiments in the pod. The return vehicle has 3169dv, so the return trip is much like the last episode--no need for aerobraking. I land in the water because I don't really care about collecting another few meager science in a new Kerbin biome.

Guess what? I also forgot to collect science "high above" Minmus. Ah well. Still made lots of science. Unfortuantely, I forgot to take a screen shot of the flight recovery screen, so you get this one instead:

Final Science:10,708!!!
Final Funds: 1,622,317 (due to Duna advance)
Nodes researched: 26
Missions completed: 0

Not bad for a 180K investment. I'd have made over 11K science if I had not forgotten to collect those few experiments..

This is overkill. Normally, I only hit 3-4 biomes on Minmus and bring home 2-3K science, because the Duna and Eve missions are generally sufficient to round out the tech tree. But this shows what you *can* do even with a fairly rudimentary vessel if you set it up right, and the cost was well within our means.

Attachments

Last edited:
Time for another episode!

where we left off:
Science 10708.6
Funds 1,622,317

Gotta upgrade the research labs. Yeah it's 850k, but we need it.

Research: Nuclear Propulsion, Large Volume Containment, Advanced Metalworks, Miniaturization, Precision Engineering, Unmanned Tech, Very Heavy Rocketry, High Performance Fuel Systems, Field Science, Command Modules, Advanced Science Tech, Specialized Electrics, Experimental Electrics, Advanced Unmanned Tech, Automation, Large Probes, Aviation, Aerodynamics, Advanced Aerodynamics, Supersonic Flight, Advanced Landing, Propulsion Systems, Precision Propulsion, Composites, Meta-Materials, Heavy Aerodynamics, High-Altitude Flight, Hypersonic Flight, Heavy Landing, Science Tech.

That only leaves 5 nodes (3650 science) to finishing out the tech tree.

There's a bunch of missions in the mission tree, but I'm not really interested in any of them. Some of them (like putting sattelites into orbit), we'll be taking later for money. These are kind of fun, because you can't use mechjeb at all for them. Or, if you can, I don't know how to do it.

We have one more thing we need to do before we go to Duna. While we can easily fly there now, it's going to take nearly a year to get there and back. I want my kerbals to be doing something while I have the warp setting set to maximum: Earning science. This isn't *that* important, since we earned 10K science on Minmus, but it's a good habit to get into for when you're playing on normal or hard modes.

We need 2 scientists to run a science lab and we only have Bob. Ferbles Kerman is cheap at 32,750, so we hire him.

We don't need anything fancy to run a science lab. Just a big ol' rocket strapped to the lab, all of the science modules you can fit, some batteries and solar panels, and some comms. It only takes a few liquid fuel boosters to get it into orbit. And, of course, a probe core to fly the thing. Our pilots are going to get very little use from here on out. This looks so much cleaner than some of our earlier builds.

One note: I've used the dynamic fairings ("protective shell") on this vessel to make it more aerodynamic. But the fairings are kind of heavy. It's best to jettison them as soon as the atmosphere is thin enough that aerodynamics hardly matter--around 20-21km. If you're using MechJeb you can see your available dv increase dramatically when you shed the weight.

I reach orbit with 3500dv to spare, which is plenty to get us to the Mun (and later, Minmus) for science.

You'll want to grab and process as much science as you can on the way up and to the mun. That means clicking the new icon you see: the bubbling beaker. This takes a lot of energy. We have a lot of batteries (8000 units worth) on the ship, but you'll want to extend your solar panels as soon as you leave atmo.

Grab launchpad science, under 20km altitude science, over 20km altitude science, 100km orbit science, and 300km orbit science. The science module will hold 500 'processed' science. We'll be full before we ever get to the Mun. But that's ok--as science is generated, the amount of stored 'science data' will decrease. We'll refill on the Mun until we can get no more, and then move to Minmus. By then, the tech tree should be full. With my leveled-up Bob Kerman, I'm generating .675 science a day. I'll earn several hundred passively while flying to Duna.

So, circularize in a high Mun orbit (100K or so), and just leave her there. Just be sure you right-click on the science lab and choose "start research" before you do. We'll be checking in on this ship again and again as we finish out the rest of the missions.

Since we'll be using the science lab to finish out the tech tree, we don't have to worry about weighing down our future rockets with lots of science modules. The primary focus from here on out will be earning that 10,000,000 kerbucks. If we only cared about the tech tree, and not the money, the game is essentially done at this point. We would just have to warp time, collect science from the lab, rinse and repeat until we'd earned 3600 units. All done in four launches (not counting runway and landing pad science 'launches').

Final tallies
Science: 80.8
Funds: 504,053
Missions completed this episode: 0
Tech research: Nearly everything (5 to go!)

Next episode: To Duna! (and Ike)

Attachments

Last edited:
I was going to go fishing today, but it's been raining all day. So, instead, I decided to do another episode. This will probably be the wordiest one so far.

Remember that Duna mission we picked up 3 episodes ago? It's finally time to go!

Where we left off:
Science: 80.8
Funds: 504,053

But first, a word. I'll definitely be using MechJeb to calculate my transfer window. In the past, I've done things like holding a protractor up to my monitor to measure phase angles, though after a while, I just started eyeballing the angles using the chart as a guide. Not as efficient, but less of a pain in the ass.
This reddit post , describes an even easier technique. So, if you don't like using mechjeb, there's two good methods for you to use.

So, lets upgrade the mission control and check on the missions. There's a docking mission I take, because it has no deadline. Even if we never complete it, the advance is ours to keep forever. We'll probably end up completing it later for the 122K reward. I also take a "build an outpost on Ike" mission. It has a 540K advance, and a 35-year duration. Plenty of time to get it complete. I've never played a game that lasted 35 game years. And it has a 1.5 million completion reward. I do the same for a rescue mission in the orbit of Minmus--175K advance, 400K reward, 12 year mission. Plenty of time. I pick up a few more missions that have big rewards that we'll do after we get back from Duna. Our mission roster looks like this. I was hoping for a "flyby of the sun" mission, since we'll do it anyway on the way to Duna. But it's not there. After all of the advances, we have 1.5 million kerbucks, which is plenty to build some nice craft.

So, let's get back to our main mission, exploring Duna. Remember the Kerbin SOI Lander?

We're going to re-purpose that bad boy into an interplanetary probe ship. We're going remove the fuel lines (so that each leg has it's own independent fuel source), remove the manned pod, and place a probe core and mechjeb component on each individual tank of fuel. We'll also put a thermometer and antenna on each tank, because all exploration missions require we do some science. Finally, we'll put parachutes on each tank. This will give us five science-capable landing probes. They're never coming back, so we don't waste weight on landing legs. I don't care if they tip over.

Why five? Because almost all interplanetary missions need them. 2 for the main planet (landing and orbiting), 2 for the planet's moon (landing and orbiting) and one to send home--because we almost always get a mission that says "return from Gilly" or "return from Ike". That lets us leave probes in orbit and on the surface for future "return science from..." missions that occasionally crop up. That's like free money, yo.

So, this one launch will allow us to explore duna, ike, and send a craft home, and hopefully complete a lot of missions along the way, and make a lot of kerbucks with this one launch. And we need to. This is a half-million dollar ship after re-designing the launch stages. This is what we end up with:

So much prettier. And it flies! I have the fairings set to eject just after the bottom fuel tank drops off. That's about 22km up, which is fine. I've put RCS and wings on the lower stages, because this big ship is unwieldy, and those little suckers help keep it stable and steerable.

I launch straight into a 1250km orbit, and we have 1250dv left to get to Duna. Just enough. The reason for the high orbit is because at 100km, we can only warp at 50X. At 1250km, we can warp at 10000X. If you don't want to spend the fuel, be prepared to spend a lot of time waiting that 200 days for the transfer window. You will save about 300dv in fuel if you make the wait. But at 50x warp, it's something like a 20 hour real-time wait. We could just park the ship up there and perform lots of other missions while we wait for the transfer window. But I'm not down for that. I promised you Duna this mission, and we're going to do it. :p

Mechjeb calculates a 750dv transfer to Duna. That'll leave us just under 500dv to circularize when we get there. We'll have to do some aerobraking. Our inital burn gives us a 22 million km insertion. We want to lower that some, so set up a node to fine tune along the way. This is far cheaper (7.7dv) than trying to do it in Duna's SOI. A little push from far away translates to big changes over long distances.

But before we execute that node, let's check on our science lab. Those guys have been working away, and we need to collect some science. Almost 500 science gathered, and 400 data left, and still making a half a point of science a day. The Mun is blocking our solar panels at the moment, but we have 8000 units of electricity, so we can go ahead and transmit it now. It'll take nearly half of our batteries, so I'll warp until I'm back in the sun to charge back up. If I leave the ship now, it'll still be at half batteries when I come back.

Back to the Duna probes: Warp to the fine-tuning node and execute it. Then warp another 177 days to Duna. Because this is an unweildy ship, I have to make a couple of more fine-tuning adjustments along the way, but I arrive with a periapsis at close to 200K and 476dv of fuel left. There's a couple of days before we hit our periapsis, so lets go back to the science lab and get 499 more science. Our lab is down to 300 data and .4 science a day, so lets add to it. We add materials science (+125), and atmospheric scan (+60) which brings us back up to close to 500 data in the module.

Back to the probes: Duna's atmosphere starts at 50km, and it's thin. If we spend 8-9dv to get an 18km periapsis, we should be able to aerobrake into orbit without spending any more fuel. And the atmo's so thin, we won't even come close to burning up.

We make it with a 1.4 million meter apoapsis, so we change the periapsis back to 18km at the peak and make another run at aerobraking. The second time around doesn't produce any heat effects at all, and I end up with an apoapsis of 271K. After spending 100dv to circularize, I have about 300 left in the main engine. We'll spend that to get us part-way to Ike later.

After transmitting a temperature scan, we've compled two parts of the Duna mission: Orbiting and transmitting science from space. Time to peel off a probe and land it. So, right click on one of the decouplers around the main tank and detatch it.

You'll have to activate the engine by hand, since we didn't stage it, so right click on the engine and turn it on.

We have enough dv (3900) in this probe to do some orbital maneuvers before landing, so we bring it down to a 100km orbit before landing, so we don't bump into our mothership. Then I pick as flat of a landing site as I can. Craters are good. Even though we don't have legs, we still don't want to explode if we tip over too hard. Between the SAS and the flat landing site, I can probably stay upright. Or, at least, not hit so hard if I fall over.

I go off to make some lasagna for lunch while Mechjeb handles landing. Don't worry--when we get to Gilly, you'll get to see me do this by hand.

I hit the SAS as soon as I touch down, and even though I'm at a tilt, I stay upright! I transmit a temperature scan, and complete the Duna exploration mission.

Before we finish the episode, we need to peel off another probe and leave it in low Duna orbit, for future "transmit science from the orbit of Duna" missions. So we switch back to the mothership, and decouple a tank on the opposite side of the first one (for balance), and leave it in a 100km low duna orbit. You'll notice your dv on the mothership go up as you shed the weight. We might even have enough to get to Ike with it.

We'll leave the mothership here, for now, until we get the explore Ike missions. This will let us complete those missions without spending any more money.

Final results:
Science: 1230.4
Money: 2,402,851

Attachments

Last edited:
Where we left off:
Science: 1230.4
Money: 2,402,851

First thing's first: Let's scan Mission Control for some Ike missions, since we left some probes hanging out around Duna. Unfortunately, there aren't any. But there is a "Science data from space around Duna" mission, so I snag that one.

Because we got so much science so fast, our reputation isn't that great yet (around 45%). In case you weren't aware, reputation has a large effect on the missions you are given in Mission Control. We'll have to complete some of our currently assigned missions to raise our reputation. And earn kerbucks, of course.

So, lets grab that free science from Duna. Switch to the orbiting Duna probes, do a quick temperature scan, transmit, and mission complete! Quarter of a million kerbucks for free!

Back to the Space Center, let's research Ion Propulsion and Experimental Aerodynamics. That leaves us 3 nodes to go (2550 science).

Looking at our active mission log, we have a "redezvous two vessels in orbit of Kerbin" mission. If we also pick up a rescue mission in Kerbin's orbit, we can kill two birds with one stone. (Our only accepted rescue mission is in Minmus orbit). As it so happens, there's a mission to rescue Dufrod Kerman in Kerbin's orbit, so we snag that. Since we're rescuing, we'll also snag the "Rescue Madla Kerman" mission in Kerbin's orbit. If we can redezvous, and perform both rescues with a single vessel, we'll snag a half-million kerbucks and raise our reputation a bit. That will be today's episode.

Now a half-million kerbucks is a nice payday, but we don't want to eat it all up in ship costs. Looking at the tracking station, we can see that both rescue attempts are below 90km. So we need a cheap ship that will get to 200km orbit, and then have at least 1000dv left over for rescue maneuvers. We want a 200km orbit, so we have a good phase differential. We don't want to have to wait a long time for the orbits to line up for a good Hohmann transfer.

We don't need anything fancy or big expensive parts. A stayputnik Mk1 probe for remote piloting is only $300. A hitchhiker storage container (moved from the Pods tab to the Utilities tab in v1.0) gives room for 4. Throw a Rockomax x200 tank and a Poodle engine on it, and our base recovery vehicle is only $10,000 with 3000dv. Throw a big orange tank beneath it, and a "twin boar" engine, and we have a craft with enough dv to get to orbit and still have 2500 left over for rescuing. Throw on some extras like lights, batteries, wings, and solar panels, and we're still under $50,000 for the ship. Very economical.

Things get a bit warm on ascent! My rocket has some punch, and I didn't dial down the engines before launching. We circularize at 200km with 2100dv left. I could have saved about 700dv by eliminating the fairings, but they protected the rescue craft from the blazing heat of rapid ascent. I wouldn't have worried about it, v1.02 there's a bug where solar panels never seem to cool off, and I didn't want to risk things exploding on re-entry because of it. This is supposed to be fixed in the newest version.

There are several steps to a rendezvous:
  • Match planes.
  • Warp until we are ripe for a Hohmann transfer.
  • Execute transfer.
  • Match speeds (slow down) when we are close (2-5km) to the target.
  • Then point your nose at the target and nudge forward at 2 or 3 meters per second.
  • Slow down again once you are really close.

Mechjeb automates all of those steps for you. We get within 40m of the target. Once we're close, switch to the target ship with the ] (bracket) key. Now we can EVA Dufrod Kerman and spacewalk over to our rescue vessel. Once on board, repeat the procedure for Madla's ship.

Once I get Madla on board we can go home. But wait. I have 1500dv left in this craft, and room for two more. We happen to have a stranded Kerbal orbiting Minmus, and I think we have the fuel to get there and back--barely. So lets do it! More mission money on a single launch! That Minmus rescue mission pays over 400K.

Looks like it's going to take 937 dv just to get there. It's going to be a close call. I have to make an adjustment on the way, so I circularize going the same direction as the derelict ship. 18dv now saves me a hundred later. I arrive with 450dv and start my rendezvous maneuvers. Luckily, Minmus' gravity is so low, orbital maneuvers don't cost much.

I get Desski into the rescue craft with 380dv to spare. *Now* we can go home.

Mechjeb never quite puts the orbits where I'd like them, so I always manually edit them with the Maneuver Node Editor. I haven't showed a screenshot of it before, but I figured I'd do so here since the episode isn't that complicated.

It's really nice to edit maneuver thrust values with numbers rather than using the drag handles. Much more precise. It's going to cost me 168dv to get home, so I want to be sure my final orbit has a 50km Kerbin periapsis for aerobraking. I don't have enough fuel to slow myself down into a stable orbit. As I hit the atmosphere, I point my nose directly away from the planet to present as large of a drag surface as I can--at 50km we don't need to worry about heat effects, and the larger drag should mean I knock a good 30-35 million meters off of my orbit instead of 20.

First pass puts me at a 6.8 million meter apoapsis by the time I leave the atmosphere. I shaved off 40 million meters. Unfortunately, orbiting at the same periapsis gives diminishing returns and it takes 9-10 more passes before I have complete aerocapture. I don't bother screenshotting all of these because it's dull :) I have 211dv of fuel left, but I want to save that for slowing my re-entry.

But finally, I have aerocapture, and Mechjeb predicts I'll land in the grasslands, so I burn about 50dv worth of fuel at retrograde to ensure I hit the water. My vessel's 7 tons, and I'm not sure how gentle a solid-earth landing will be with the radial parachutes (which are weaker than normal parachutes). It's worth noting here that I almost never use Mechjeb to actually land my ship on Kerbin. But the landing predictions are awful nice so that I can more easily put the ship down where I want manually.

I start seeing heat effects at 35K so I burn the last of my fuel to somewhat slow my descent. Even so, my batteries start overheating at 19km. It's a tense 9000km drop as the heat bars slowly starts climbing.

Luckily, they don't explode, and I pop the chutes at 10km. I needn't have worried about the landing. 8 radial chutes has me touching down at around 4.5 m/s. Plenty gentle, even for a solid-earth landing.

After recovering the vessel, we not only have added 1.2 million kerbucks to our warchest, we also have 3 new Kerbals, one of which is a scentist! In normal mode, we'd probably want 2 science labs in orbit. And hiring scientists in normal mode is so much more expensive than in easy mode. So this is good practice for our future runs.

Final results:
Science: 252.4
Money: 3,602,833
Missions completed: 8 (Collect Duna space science, Rendezvous vessels, 3 rescue missions, 3 return-to-kerbin sub-missions)

(aaaand, we missed the opportunity to complete the "Science data from space around minmus" because it wasn't in our initial mission planning. We could've picked up even more kerbucks on this launch)

Attachments

Last edited:
Thank you for all the updates TW. I really love this game. I (still) can't play the full released version yet, but I follow this thread a lot because it excites me

Thank you for all the updates TW. I really love this game. I (still) can't play the full released version yet, but I follow this thread a lot because it excites me
I love this game. I'm glad I'm not just whistling into the wind with these posts. :)

I notice that I forgot to attach the .craft file for the Interplanetary Probes to the episode post. That has been corrected.

Where we left off:
Science: 252.4
Money: 3,602,833

A hah! We finally start getting our first Ike missions: Fly by Ike. After taking that, "Explore Ike" will surely follow. I pick up "explore eve" while I'm at it.

So, let's knock out another couple of missions and raise our reputation even more before we tackle Ike. We're going to build our orbital station around Minmus and return some science, for a cool half-million kerbuck payday.

In the VAB you can click on the contract icon to get an overview of your missions, which helps not miss anything when building a ship. In this case, we need a station that has an antenna and docking port, some solar panels, a cupola, and can support 7 kerbals.

Fairly standard stuff. I build a 9-man station using hitchhiker containers for under $60k, which will satisfy the requirements. Like my rescue ship, this one gets really hot on ascent, and by the time I escape the atmosphere, my ascent stages are literally glowing with heat. But since the actual station itself never really got that warm, I don't worry about it.

Circularize with 1437 dv left, so it's time to start planning our minmus missions. While setting up the maneuver node, we see that the Mun is in the way. We won't hit it--in fact, we pass through it's SoI at 1.8 million meters. But this still will complicate things and increase the dv required to make the trip to Minmus. Nothing to do for it but warp time until the Mun has passed out of our way. This will take like 6 minutes real time at 50X warp. We can't warp faster because of the low Kerbin orbit.

While waiting for the Mun to pass by, I keep checking my potential transfers, spotting a potential Mun assist to Minmus. With a little tweaking, I get a nice trajectory straight to Minmus. I still have to fine-tune a bit after leaving the Mun's orbit, but it's only a few dv of fuel.

Here's a screenshot of the ship half-way to Minmus. Notice that I tweaked the floodlights in the VAB by right-clicking and editing the RGB values. The docking ports now have a nice, highly visible red glow around them to make them easier to spot.

I arrive with a little over 500dvleft--350 after circularizing, and transmit a crew report.

Easy, fast flight. Completed 2 more missions, and with the advances from the Eve mission, earned another million kerbucks.

Final Results
Science: 282.4
Money: 4,771,344

Attachments

Where we left off :
Money: 4,771,344

A quick scan of Mission Control doesn't bring up anything interesting, so this will be a short episode.

We're going to land an outpost on the Mun. We picked up that mission a couple episodes ago , and completing it will give us some money and reputation.

Looking at the requirements, I see that I already have a ship that will almost fit the bill--the 9 kerbal station . If I slap some big wheels on the final stage, it ought to meet the requirements. Because of the added dv requirements for landing, we'll throw some lower stage engines on there too, to give us more fuel to work with at the end stage. It looks like crap, but it will earn us a half-million for under 100 grand. If I were playing with the Infernal Robitics mod, I'd put these legs on servos and unfold them after reaching orbit.

So we get up to a 100km orbit, and make the transfer to the Mun. Remember how I said how I don't like MechJeb's transfer calculations? This is what Mechjeb recommends.

This is what it looks like after tweaking.

I almost always click on the moon or planet I'm going to and choose "focus view" so that I can fine-tune the transfers that MechJeb calculates. It means I have less work to do (and spend less fuel) than if I just accept the maneuver nodes blindly and clean up my orbits once I get there.

So, we reach the Mun with a few dv left in our launch vehicle, but we don't need it, so we give our ship a little yaw rotation and eject the lower stages away from us, leaving us 1600dv to land in East Farside crater.

After a routine landing, we have successfully completed another mission.

Final Results
Money: 5,338,900

Attachments

Where we left off:
Money: 5,338,900

I look at Mission Control and I *still* don't have an "explore ike" mission.

Screw it. I'm going to just do the "fly by ike" mission and hope that the explore missions come up when I do. I try to "game" the mission system by declining missions I know I'll never do (land tourists on duna, extract ore, etc). Sometimes if you decline enough missions, the one you want will show up. No dice this time. But I do pick up a couple of interesting contracts while looking for the explore Ike mission.

Sometimes the mission randomizer is nice to you, and other times it's not. Of course, it's going to be uncooperative now that I'm logging this playthrough :D

Before we get started doing anything, lets upgrade some buildings. That's part of our self-imposed "win conditions", so I upgrade the Astonaut Complex, the Administrative Building (2X), the VAB, the Runway (2X), the Hangar (2X), and the Tracking station. Everything's now upgraded, and I still have 3.9 million kerbucks.

Then I switch over to the outpost from the last episode, to complete the "surface science" mission I just picked up.

After that, I switch to the 9-man station orbiting Minmus to complete the "science from space around Minmus" mission. There's a couple hundred thousand free kerbucks.

I go back and look for the "explore ike" mission once more, and while I don't get it, I do get a nice "position a sattellite " mission for Ike. So, I guess it's time to actually go to Ike.

We last left our probe ship in a high Duna orbit. So we switch to it, and begin our transfer calculations for Ike. Mechjeb gives us an insertion that's very close to our satellite mission parameters, but unfortunately is 180 degrees the wrong direction. After a bit of tweaking, I put the ship at a good insertion point to complete this mission.

Earn a half-million kerbucks as soon as I enter Ike's SoI ("Fly by Ike"). I have a couple of hours before I have to circularize, so I rush to the Space Center and decline missions until I get a "Science Data from Surface of Ike" mission, and a "dock two vessels" mission, and another "Science from space around Minmus" mission. No "explore Ike" missions this time around. I guess we're just out of luck. Shame. We could have earned another million or so kerbucks with those, at no additional cost.

Back to the Probes, which I rename "Ike Probe" by right-clicking the remote guidance unit. I circularize into an inclined orbit with measurements closely matching the mission parameters.

Then I blow a bunch DV lining up with that purple orbit before I realize that this mission calls for a "new" probe, so this one won't satisfy the parameters. Grr! I hate it when I make that mistake. Maybe I'll include those screenshots and narration later in a "how to complete orbital missions" supplement.

So, I circularize at 0 degrees inclination and release the main engines. I peel off a probe and circularize it at 100km and transmit some science.

I plot a course for a Lowlands landing, and let Mechjeb handle the rest. The probe starts to tip over, but I just don't care after all that wasted time. Transmit a temperature scan, and complete the contract.

Peel off the last probe and leave it in a 100km orbit.

Final Results
Science: 483.4
Money: 5,454,506
All buildings upgraded

(no new ships this episode)

Our tenth flight!

I was hoping to have finished all of my objectives by now, but the mission randomizer really screwed me over on Ike and Minmus missions. Otherwise, this would be the last/winning episode.

Where we left off:
Science: 483.4
Money: 5,454,506
All buildings upgraded

Let's clean up space a bit. First we go to the Tracking Station and destroy Desski's Capsule, Dufrod's Wreckage and Madla's Derelict. We've already saved these Kerbals, and having their ship husks clutter up the tracking station annoys me.

Checking in at the Science Lab, we grab 127 science from it.

In a previous episode, I took two station/outpost missions, one around Duna and one landed at Ike. If I can create one station that will satisfy both missions, and have enough dv to get me to Ike, I can complete them both in one flight. That'll earn me 2.5 million kerbucks--not counting the advances I got when I took them. Let's go for it.

I load up our 9 man station in the VAB and stretch out the contracts bar so I can see the requirements for both missions. Both require 11 kerbals, but nothing else special. So I replace the cupola on top with an RC-L01 probe controller, and add another hitchhiker unit. I strip off all of the lower stages, leaving the lone tank and engine of the final stage. The whole thing is 20 tons. From past experience, I know that I need about 4000 dv to get into high kerbin orbit, 800 dv to get to Duna, another 500 or so to circularize and get to Ike, and then another 300 or so to land. That's 5600 dv. If I shoot for 6000, the extra 1800dv already in the outpost loadout ought to give us plenty of wiggle room for mistakes or miscalculations.

It'd be easy to spend a half-million to make a big rocket to get me there, but I want to pinch all my pennies to get to my 10 million kerbuck goal. So, what's the cheapest way to get that dv? The KSP Optimal Rocket Calculator to the rescue!
https://garycourt.github.io/korc/

I input my mission parameters (6000dv, kerbin SoI, 20 ton payload) and let it run through nearly 3000 iterations before stopping the tool and choosing the cheapest one, at 100K kerbucks. It'll be a little more expensive by the time we're done, as the tool doesn't account for aerodynamics, and wings, struts and the like will probably be necessary. But it'll still be pretty cheap.

So, I follow the recommendations and build the thing.

Dang it's tall! But only 140K. Then I put two FAT-455 wings on the bottom and a few struts, hoping that will keep the whole thing from going belly up. The thing wobbles like hell at lift-off, so I go back to the drawing board and add some strategically placed i-beams and more struts to stiffen things up, which isn't perfect, but works good enough.

The first stage gets me to nearly 30km, and the air's thin enough not to need the wings at that point, which is a happy bit of circumstance. 2nd stage gets me to an apoapsis of nearly 250km. I've got 2800dv left after circularizing at 1250km, so I think we're still good to go.

Mechjeb calculates an 800dv Duna insertion. The departure is 1 year and 212 days away, though, so we'll warp time, but check on our science lab every 200 days to collect science. Don't forget to extend your solar panels or you'll come back to a dead ship! :)

First stop, collect 500 science and research a gravity scan at east farside to top my data back up.
Back to the ship, I rename it "Ike Outpost" and wait another 200-ish days.
Second science stop, collect 500 science and do another gravity scan to top up my data (this time over the highlands, which is a new biome).
Back to the space center, where we research Advanced Motors and Experimental Science. One more module to go.

Back to the Ike Outpost, where we wait out the rest of the time until the maneuver node. We burn our 800dv

and then switch to the science lab for 500 more science and do a gravity scan over the Midlands to top up our data. One more trip to the lab should complete our research tree.

Back to the Ike Outpost. It's going to take about 260 days to reach Duna. So we'll warp for 200 days and then finish out our research tree before going further. I click on my orbit path and choose "Warp Here", which I find much more convenient than mechjeb's warp helper.

500 more science from the lab, and we're able to finish out the tech tree . Every mission will focus on money from here on out. Now all we have to do is wait 60 days for my Ike Outpost to reach Duna.

Once there, I see that it'll take 600dv to circularize if I don't aerobrake, but I'm pretty sure I have plenty to spare, so I go ahead and spend the fuel. After collecting my million kerbucks for the Duna outpost mission, I begin planning my Ike insertion. Dang, that little moon is busy! I need some air traffic control. ;)

I arrive with 1000 dv to land on the big moon, even after the wasteful non-aerobraked duna orbit, but will only need half that. The black spots on Ike are relatively flat, which is a good thing since I forgot my landing gear. My luck holds, it's flat enough that my lone SAS module can keep things upright after landing, and I collect the 1.5 million kerbuck reward.

Final Results
Science: no longer relevant
Money: 7,918,898
All buildings upgraded
All science researched

Attachments

Last edited:
Where we left off:
Money: 7,918,898
All buildings upgraded
All science researched

Today, we're going to Eve. This mission will give us a little over a million kerbucks in rewards.

While trolling mission control for some Gilly missions, "return science from space around Duna" shows up. This is why I leave probes everywhere--that's almost 300K free money, so I take the mission. The Minmus 4 Rally shows up too. It's worth 2.5 million kerbucks, and I have to fly a single ship to Minmus, the Mun, Ike and Duna. That's not super-hard. So even if I don't get any Gilly missions, I have enough on my plate to finish the game.

So, lets get some probes up in space to do Eve/Gilly missions. I load up my Interplanetary Probes ship that I designed previously. It's got 9.8k dv but I'd like to make sure I have a bit more. Aerobraking in Eve is very problematic, and things like solar panels tend to overheat and explode when you do. I'd rather just burn fuel and establish an orbit without hitting atmo if I can. Let's cheapen up the ship, while we're at it.

I pull off the RTG and replace them with 1x6 solar panels, which saves us over 120k kerbucks. Vessel Mass is 28 tons, and I want 7000 dv worth of rockets underneath it. That will let me get to Eve comfortably without aerobraking, and leave me enough dv to get to Gilly (which costs much more than getting to Ike from Duna). 7000 dv is probably a bit of overkill, since the probes each have 4K dv on them. But better safe than sorry.

It took a while, but the Optimal Rocket Calculator finds me a design around 200k kerbucks. I add some docking ports, because I may want to fly a ship up and top off the fuel once it's up in orbit. I also add a bunch of struts ("space tape") to make sure it doesn't wobble.

Those rockets all have big gimbaling engines, so I trust that I don't need wings on this craft. And I don't. But this design would have shook itself apart without all of those struts to stiffen it up.

I make it to 1250km without flipping over, and transmit science to complete the "science from around kerbin" mission (40,000 kerbucks). I also switch over to my duna probe for the "science around Duna" mission (200K kerbucks + the advance).

I have 6500 dv left to get to Eve and complete all the missions there, so I don't bother with a refuel. The departure window is 1 year and 2 months away, so I open my solar arrays and settle in for the long warp, and then burn to Eve, fine tuning a couple of times along the way. When I get close, I set up a manual maneuver node (no mechjeb) to effect an eccetric orbit and eat up all the excess fuel in my bottom-most stage. That'll still leave me 5500 dv get stuff done. I want a big eccentric orbit, because it'll be easier to change my phase angle to Gilly the further away from Eve's gravity well that I am.

Establishing orbit completes one part of the explore Eve mission. I transmit some science to complete another. Then I peel off a probe and circularize around Eve. This costs me 1200dv, since I'm not aerobraking, but I have over 4000 in each probe, so it's of little consequence. Now all I have to do is successfully land this sucker to finish up the mission.

Eve's atmosphere is crazy dense, and hot. I put shielded solar panels on my probes, but still, I don't want too much atmospheric friction. Letting MechJeb land this probe is a sure-fire recipe for things to overheat and explode.

The easiest way to land on Eve is to "suicide burn". That means to burn retrograde in space until you are falling straight down. So I set up a manual maneuver node to do just that.

This will kill most of your speed, so you aren't slamming into the atmosphere at full speed. But it takes a lot of fuel. Luckily, I have enough, with 300 to spare. I plan to fall directly into the sea, to help cushion the shock of landing, and even though that thick atmosphere is bad for heat, it's great for parachutes if you can survive the fall long enough to deploy them.

Notice that my surface speed is only about 400m/s after executing the maneuver node. That'll pick up as Eve's gravity takes hold, but I'll hit atmo a lot more gently than if I came in screaming with a starting speed of 2800m/s! I start seeing heat effects at 60km, and blow the last 300dv in my engine to slow down as much as I can.

The heat effects start disappearing at 20km, and nothing on the ship spawned a heat bar! Pop the chutes at 10k, and fall gently into the Explodium Sea at 3m/s, completing another part of the Explore Eve mission. All without once touching MechJeb's landing automation.

Incidentally, this kind of suicide burn works on just about every planet and moon, if you have the fuel to pull it off. When we get the explore Gilly missions, I'll do the same thing there. Its gravity is so light, Mechjeb can't figure out how to land properly and you end up bouncing around the landscape for a half-hour or more in real time--until your ship hits once too hard and blows up.

After transmitting a temperature report, I've completed the entire Explore Eve mission.

Final Results
Money: 9,462,064
All buildings upgraded
All Science Researched

Attachments

Last edited:
Where we left off:
Money: 9,462,064
All buildings upgraded
All science researched

Finally, the mission randomizer smiles on me! "Explore Gilly" is right there, without me having to hunt for it by declining missions. The pay + advance is over 1.5 million kerbucks, so this will be our last mission.

We don't need a new ship for this. We switch to the interplanetary probes that we left at Eve. I left things a bit unbalanced, so we need to peel off another probe (which we'll leave here) before transferring the whole thing to Gilly. I spend a bit of time circularizing and changing the inclination of the probe I just dumped, just to keep it out of the way as I set up my Gilly transfer.

Back to the mothership, we are going to match planes with Gilly. To do this by hand, change your view so that the target's orbit looks like a straight line, then put a maneuver node where the orbits cross--this is in one of two places, the ascending node (you're moving up to the node) or the descending node (you're moving down toward the node).

Or you can let mechjeb do it. But learning to do it by hand is the key to all of those "place a satellite into orbit" missions, since there's no way for mechjeb to find the AN or DN of an empty point in space.

This plane change is why we left ourselves in a very eccentric orbit. As you can see, our ascending node is very close to Eve, and thus requires almost 1600 dv to make the change. But the descending node is very far away; it only takes 180 dv.

The basic plane change formula is (courtesy of Wikipedia):

But you don't need to do the math. You just need to understand the principal: that v stands for "orbital velocity". The faster you're going, the more fuel it takes to make a change. On any orbit, the further you are from a planet, the slower you're going around the planet, relatively speaking.

The following two screen shots (from a different save game) confirm that it is true. The first shot is from an Ike orbit at 75km high, with an orbital velocity of 300m/s. The second is after I've changed the orbit height to 100km, which changes the orbital velocity to 284 m/s.

That means, always change inclination on the AN or DN that's furthest from the planet to save fuel.

Knowing this saves us 1300 dv in this case.

As it happens, once I match phases, I notice the little triangles that tell me I have a "close approach". I might be able to adjust my orbit a bit and hit it on this pass! So, I set up a manual maneuver node, and set it to reduce my speed a bit by flying retrograde. And sure, enough, while fiddling with it, I get a Gilly insertion. What luck. Normally, we'd spend a lot of dv getting there, but instead it's only costing us 12. The amount of fuel I have on board is totally overkill at this point.

I warp two days to the Gilly encounter, and come in hot. It takes 650dv to slow down and capture the orbit, but I have fuel to spare. Once there, I circularize at 20km, and then burn for a polar orbit (90 degrees inclination). We want to suicide burn to land on one of the poles. Gilly's gravity is so light that the planetary rotation is a real problem. We can touch down and be "swatted" back into space if our horizontal velocity is too high relative to the spin of the moon. This is minimized considerably at the poles, and the cost of achieving that orbit is negligible.

Once we are in polar orbit, I manually set up my suicide burn for the northern pole, and execute the node. My surface velocity is .2 m/s after the maneuver is done. This is going to be a long trip.

We have no atmosphere to ease our descent, so we'll have to do it by hand. Point the nose straight up as you fall and turn on SAS (or use MechJeb's SmartASS to point to surface velocity minus), and hover your fingers over the shift and X keys. As you fall, you'll want to tap the shift key slow yourself, but be prepared to quickly cut off the engines with the X key. It's easy to overdo the thrust and shoot yourself back out into space.

I usually time warp until 8000m, and then start worrying about my descent speed. I switch from map-view mode and realize--I forgot to peel off a probe. I'm sending the whole ship down. Lol. That's ok. This is the last mission anyway, and even if it wasn't, I could get back into orbit with only a few dv spent.

So, let yourself drift down, and slow yourself down every time you get above 15 or 20 m/s. When you're not thrusting, you can 4x physics timewarp. This landing will take a long time to complete. I try to keep my speed below 10 m/s, so I don't have to do big corrections when I'm close to the surface. MechJeb's "Altitude (bottom)" readout is invaluable here. I hate the fact that you can't know your actual altitude in stock KSP.

The altimeter reads 3266, because I'm landing on a hill. But I'm really only 27 meters from the surface. If I were playing stock, I'd have no real way to know how close I was to actually landing. That makes it really easy to come down too fast and explode unless you use MechJeb, Kerbal Engineer, or some other mod that gives you more accurate information.

Once I get within about 100 meters, I try to keep my speed between .4 and 1.0. The last dozen meters are so are characterized by me tapping shift and then hitting x as fast as I can to only give little bursts of thrust, keeping the speed at around .3 or .4 m/s. And eventually, I touch down. No bouncing or skittering across the surface. SAS keeps me upright. Mission accomplished.

Wait. I forgot to get science from space around Gilly's. Blah. Easy enough. I peel off a probe, and grab science as it falls, before it hits the surface. It takes nearly 30 seconds to fall, so that's plenty of time. SAS keeps it upright, and it lands without injury, though it does slide across the landscape for a few meters before coming to rest.

Even though my ship is lopsided, I think I can get back into orbit without a problem, since it doesn't take much thrust. I get there with all the grace of a wounded gazelle, peel off my orbiter probe, and call it a day.

Final Results
Money: 11,262,064
All buildings upgraded
All science researched

No new ships launched.

We have "won" at ksp in 12 episodes (10 flights).

Last edited:
So, I have a question for you guys...What would you like to see next?

I can do the same kind of run-through on Normal mode (where you start with much less money, and contracts and science bring in half as much), or spice it up playing with some mods. I can do a run through using a different set of "win" criteria. Or I can post a few episodes on how to complete certain mission types.

Up to you. I'm no KSP super-star like Scott Manley, but I am pretty good at the game, so let me know what you'd like me to do next (if anything at all) and I'll do my best to make it happen.