Windows XP Counterfeit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I had a copy of a student edition of XP on my computer that my friend gave me forever ago, well this last update borked it and it says its counterfeit now. Doesn't really cause any problems besides the annoying shit at the corner of the screen and not being able to set a background.

But anyways I have 2 valid XP keys... I went into regedit and changed my WPA shit so it would want to reactive and I can put the new key in... Well I try both of them and they both say invalid product key. Anyone know wtf is going on and how to fix this without reinstalling windows?

Edit: if it makes a difference the keys I got are from the MSDN ELMS program through my school, so it could be possible that the product keys would only work with their install cds?

Yeah the stuff I got from the MSDN ELMS program uses a different COA method for product keys so thats why :/

I am just going to backup my needed shit and try out windows 7

The steps in that article don't help eliminate the problem? It's really just a matter of uninstalling windows genuine advantage.

No it works, but I want to try out 7 anyways and this windows install needed formatted anyways because it's been awhile so I am just using this as an excuse to finally do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.